Marvin Gaye Lonely Lover

Guest Dan

• Replies 76
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

it came out with a few more Motown white labels including the Marvelettes - Boy From Crosstown, Chris Clark`s Do I Love You and a few more, from the release of the vaults tapes.

They were from the 90's though I think?  I remember sorting the remainder into sets, 8 I think in each.  Only a few full sets left, the rest missing mainly Suspicion.

Social source share

I and several other people I know bought a plain white label of it at Stafford circa '84 - around the same time I bought a 'Mafon' (or whatever the label was called - copy of 'Suspicion', However I was told that the first person to play it out was Richard Searling first at Wigan then Stafford.

Can anyone verify it was played at Wigan?  I've yet to see anything conclusive to,say it was?  Rod didn't seem to think he had the tapes from Robb K then?  I'm sure it was said it was played at some venue in Manchester before Stafford?

Social source share

Can anyone verify it was played at Wigan?  I've yet to see anything conclusive to,say it was?  Rod didn't seem to think he had the tapes from Robb K then?  I'm sure it was said it was played at some venue in Manchester before Stafford?

I was told that after expressing admiration of it and it was mentioned as a 'late Searling sound' from Wigan (I think Neil McKillop said it) which he also played at early Stafford gigs. Having never gone to Wigan I've no idea either way although it would have been mentioned more often if it HAD been played there I imagine.

Social source share

picked up a load of weird things, acetates and test presses, few i've mentioned on here (and thanks for help IDing etc), most not very interesting at all unfortunately

but among them i've found a white label test press of marvin gaye lonely lover

definitely marvin and not jimmy mcf

was there ever a plan to bring this out as a single back then, do any MG aficionados know???

bloke i did deal with is straight as a die and didn't even mention it in the (cheap) deal so it's not like he's ripped me off or anything

would appreciate any help clearing this up

(will pay attention most of all to people who say this is 'dog rare', 'shit rare' or 'the holy grail of marvin gaye collecting' and will virtually ignore anyone who says 'don't be a twat, this is just a vinyl lift from the MG CD which came out ages ago')

dan

Def released as a UK Motown 45, TMG40757, blue/white design label, I have one, think it actually came out without a lot of people really noticing at the time, don't see many about at all ?

Social source share

Def released as a UK Motown 45, TMG40757, blue/white design label, I have one, think it actually came out without a lot of people really noticing at the time, don't see many about at all ?

It's the 80's release though isn't it, flip side to "The. World Is X Rated", one with synthesiser overdubs, totally ruined.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just seeing the recording date for MG / LL, made me think of this.

First Mixdown - Jan 28 1965 (Hope you're keeping it safe Phil !!!)

post-4623-0-15182400-1399223940_thumb.jp

Second Mixdown - Jan 29 1965 - (Never had this one, - was in the process of buying this about 5 years ago, it but for some reason the seller just stopped communication in the middle) Would have been nice to have had both side by side.

post-4623-0-94785700-1399223970_thumb.jp

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Just seeing the recording date for MG / LL, made me think of this.

First Mixdown - Jan 28 1965 (Hope you're keeping it safe Phil !!!)

attachicon.gifj28.jpg

Second Mixdown - Jan 29 1965 - (Never had this one, - was in the process of buying this about 5 years ago, it but for some reason the seller just stopped communication in the middle) Would have been nice to have had both side by side.

attachicon.gifj29.jpg

Cheers

Mick

hi mick,

so does that mean the second version has a string section added?

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

hi mick,

so does that mean the second version has a string section added?

I can't remember if I had a sound file at the time - Been looking and can't find one on this PC, but It could be on another drive somewhere. From what I remember, the two takes on Jan 29 were identical to each other (I was told this, rather than working it out from audio files).

As to whether these were different from Jan 28 I can't remember if I ever worked that out.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

I can't remember if I had a sound file at the time - Been looking and can't find one on this PC, but It could be on another drive somewhere. From what I remember, the two takes on Jan 29 were identical to each other (I was told this, rather than working it out from audio files).

As to whether these were different from Jan 28 I can't remember if I ever worked that out.

Cheers

Mick

jan 28th is the first mix, though in the booklet notes to "the master", it is listed as "alternate mix", so that has to be a reference to the fact the string section had not been added. the following day, the studio must then have laid down the orchestration...i definitely want to hear this, but would it also be a fair assumption that the string version was utilized for the 1984 single release?. as an aside to this particular thread, i'm also trying to locate the alternate version of "you're wonderful"...recorded in 1963, this unreleased track also appeared on the aforementioned 4 cd book set, this cut has a bluesy, rnb feel to it with a horn lead intro....the archives show that it was remixed and appeared on a 10" acetate, dated for some peculiar reason other than a typing error, as 1968...i distinctly remember hearing this on a tape of one of richard's show for either sunset or red rose radio from back in the mid to late 80's/90's...about the same time that the jimmy ruffin tracks were being aired. this take has a percussion intro ( jack ashford ) sounding like a marimba or xylophone and with a more mainstream motown feel.....i would also like to acquire a cd of this as well if anyone can solve the mystery.

Social source share

We don't know for sure if the two acetates differ with the addition of strings without hearing, we are only assuming this is what happened due to the hand written no strings on the acetate of Phil's.

Indeed so - The takes could be identical, the fact that there are different "Q" and "H-LI" reference numbers may be no more than a miniscule change in leveling, and the date could just be the date the labels were typed (eg start on Thursday evening, go home, come back Friday morning and finish yesterdays work off)

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Indeed so - The takes could be identical, the fact that there are different "Q" and "H-LI" reference numbers may be no more than a miniscule change in leveling, and the date could just be the date the labels were typed (eg start on Thursday evening, go home, come back Friday morning and finish yesterdays work off)

Cheers

Mick

I don't think I've heard any other version other than the god awful 80's release.  If I have heard one with added strings I haven't paid enough attention and not realised.

Social source share

I and several other people I know bought a plain white label of it at Stafford circa '84 - around the same time I bought a 'Mafon' (or whatever the label was called - copy of 'Suspicion', However I was told that the first person to play it out was Richard Searling first at Wigan then Stafford.

Yes the first time I heard  "Lonely Lover" by Marvin Gaye played at a venue was by Richard Searling.  This was the 1960's version.  The 1980's version release is rubbish in comparison!

Social source share

Yes the first time I heard  "Lonely Lover" by Marvin Gaye played at a venue was by Richard Searling.  This was the 1960's version.  The 1980's version release is rubbish in comparison!

I agree!  It is to 1960s Motown what Ian Levine's Motor City recordings are to '60s Motown.  The original shouldn't have been "adjusted".  It was fine, just the way it was.

Social source share

I agree!  It is to 1960s Motown what Ian Levine's Motor City recordings are to '60s Motown.  The original shouldn't have been "adjusted".  It was fine, just the way it was.

Except Ian Levine's recordings are new and trying to sound authentically 60s but failing miserably due to the synth horns and same drum fill which gets used every eight bars. The Marvin Gaye track has the original track buried down there somewhere, with the completely unnecessary overdubs. I can't understand how anyone thought that this was a good idea, surely it sounded crap even when released in the 80s?!

Social source share

As far as I can remember, without digging out the 45. That 80's single was the 60's recording but with 'modern' overdubbing of strings. Which has been mentioned numerous times on this thread already, personally I think it ruined the song, not improved it by trying to make it more contemporary.

I can't speak for the 12" as I've never bothered picking it up, but assume it's the same?

I think the original one was on 'The Master" CD set, but can't actually be certain which take it was.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!