Marvin Gaye Lonely Lover

Guest Dan

picked up a load of weird things, acetates and test presses, few i've mentioned on here (and thanks for help IDing etc), most not very interesting at all unfortunately

but among them i've found a white label test press of marvin gaye lonely lover

definitely marvin and not jimmy mcf

was there ever a plan to bring this out as a single back then, do any MG aficionados know???

bloke i did deal with is straight as a die and didn't even mention it in the (cheap) deal so it's not like he's ripped me off or anything

would appreciate any help clearing this up

(will pay attention most of all to people who say this is 'dog rare', 'shit rare' or 'the holy grail of marvin gaye collecting' and will virtually ignore anyone who says 'don't be a twat, this is just a vinyl lift from the MG CD which came out ages ago')

dan

Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

picked up a load of weird things, acetates and test presses, few i've mentioned on here (and thanks for help IDing etc), most not very interesting at all unfortunately

but among them i've found a white label test press of marvin gaye lonely lover

definitely marvin and not jimmy mcf

was there ever a plan to bring this out as a single back then, do any MG aficionados know???

bloke i did deal with is straight as a die and didn't even mention it in the (cheap) deal so it's not like he's ripped me off or anything

would appreciate any help clearing this up

(will pay attention most of all to people who say this is 'dog rare', 'shit rare' or 'the holy grail of marvin gaye collecting' and will virtually ignore anyone who says 'don't be a twat, this is just a vinyl lift from the MG CD which came out ages ago')

dan

link

Hello Dan , Marvin's version was released as a single in the UK [ with a picture cover ] , but was remixed , it would be interesting to hear if yours is the original mix ? Difficult to tell I know unless you've got both versions to listen to , prehaps someone could upload an mp3 of them both ? Hope this helps ,Eddie .

Social source share

thanks mick, eddie

yes, knew about the uk release but meant unreleased in the US (is that right? think so, embarrassed if not!)

this came from the US (though I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean the test press wasn't done over there)

here's a clip of this one, haven't got the single though sorry

Social source share

thanks mick, eddie

yes, knew about the uk release but meant unreleased in the US (is that right? think so, embarrassed if not!)

this came from the US (though I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean the test press wasn't done over there)

here's a clip of this one, haven't got the single though sorry

dan

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

This was recorded from a motown tape in 81/82. I wouldnt bet on it being an official release.

I bought mine for £8, out of the same box that had Anthony and the Aqua Lads, Another Day, by the Ascots, and a Frankie Beverley, not the rare one. All for around a tenner.

The single was released if memory serves (That'd be a first), either just before or just after he was murdered. So 83/84 time. Possibly because the acetate was stirring up interest around Northern Soul circles.

I'm also fairly sure it was only released on a 12 inch, despite it only being the same cut as the 7 inch acetate.

As for dog rare etc. I havent seen it for sale in decades, but as it did get released officially, and isnt worth a great deal. I'd be amazed if it was even worth what I paid for it 24 years ago.

IMO better than Jimmy Mc, but only cos it Marvin. And he could sing the weather forecast, and it would sound sublime. Nessun Dorma better than Pav, and 'A whole lot of Rosie' better than the AC/DC fella.

Social source share

Hello Dan , Marvin's version was released as a single in the UK [ with a picture cover ] , but was remixed , it would be interesting to hear if yours is the original mix ? Difficult to tell I know unless you've got both versions to listen to , prehaps someone could upload an mp3 of them both ? Hope this helps ,Eddie .

link

I've got the white label as well and as far as I know it's the original mix, definitely not the same as the UK release.

I have a feeling these were done as a batch during the 80's along with a few other unreleased Motown stuff. This is assuming the labels the same as mine ink stamp with the artist and title with So Long on the flip. Think if it's got addresses and other details it may be an actual Motown test press.

Chalky may have a better idea than me, because my memory's shot :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got the white label as well and as far as I know it's the original mix, definitely not the same as the UK release.

I have a feeling these were done as a batch during the 80's along with a few other unreleased Motown stuff. This is assuming the labels the same as mine ink stamp  with the artist and title with So Long on the flip. Think if it's got addresses and other details it may be an actual Motown test press.

Chalky may have a better idea than me, because my memory's shot :D

link

Mine is a single sided white label, with printed writing.

Nowt on the other side.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As Andy F says. I'm pretty sure this was from the same batch of recordings that saw the superb Suspision reach the dancefloors. They all came out with the same print on the label. Not like yours tho Dan.

I just wish 'Too late for love' by Gladys Knight had been released on one.

Just to play at home like :D

Social source share

As Andy F says. I'm pretty sure this was from the same batch of recordings that saw the superb Suspision reach the dancefloors. They all came out with the same print on the label. Not like yours tho Dan.

Just to play at home like  :D

link

hmmm interesting

but like you say mikey, i'm not going to emigrate on it!

Social source share

This was recorded from a motown tape in 81/82. I wouldnt bet on it being an official release.

I bought mine for £8, out of the same box that had Anthony and the Aqua Lads, Another Day, by the Ascots, and a Frankie Beverley, not the rare one. All for around a tenner.

The single was released if memory serves (That'd be a first), either just before or just after he was murdered. So 83/84 time. Possibly because the acetate was stirring up interest around Northern Soul circles.

I'm also fairly sure it was only released on a 12 inch, despite it only being the same cut as the 7 inch acetate.

As for dog rare etc. I havent seen it for sale in decades, but as it did get released officially, and isnt worth a great deal. I'd be amazed if it was even worth what I paid for it 24 years ago.

IMO better than Jimmy Mc, but only cos it Marvin. And he could sing the weather forecast, and it would sound sublime. Nessun Dorma better than Pav, and 'A whole lot of Rosie' better than the AC/DC fella.

link

Hello Mikey , I've got a picture cover 7" of the Marvin Gaye . Best ,Eddie .

Social source share

Just to play at home like  :)

link

I also got a copy of this way back & can confirm there was no official release in the States. Reason being that Motown refused to give Pinky & Perky a name check

on the label as they feared being sued by said duo & MGaye didn't want to be associated with a release that didn't acknowledge his backing singers, which is why a lot of white labels are credited to Eddie Holland!

Dave G

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I've got one of these too.

Mine says Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover on the white label.

But only cos I wrote it on.

:)

Social source share

I've got one of these too.

Mine says Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover on the white label.

But only cos I wrote it on.

link

ha ha

i might see if i can dig out a magnetics count the days in a minute then

Social source share

Just to play at home like  :)

link

It has ! When I bought my "Lonely Lover" on a white 7inch I had Glayds Knight , Marvelettes "Never Too Late" and a third thing off the same list :) Mid to late late eighties :lol:

Social source share

It has ! When I bought my "Lonely Lover" on a white 7inch I had Glayds Knight , Marvelettes "Never Too Late" and a third thing off the same list  :lol: Mid to late late eighties  :)

link

Mid eighties was pressed on a white label ( ?) with black print and speeded up so much it was a bit Mickey Mousey. Still got it somewhere, but deffo not the same speed as on the Motown tapes John MAnship used to sell.

Anybody remember 'Absent Minded Lover ' ? Suspicion came out on same label.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It has ! When I bought my "Lonely Lover" on a white 7inch I had Glayds Knight , Marvelettes "Never Too Late" and a third thing off the same list  :lol: Mid to late late eighties  :)

link

Cheers Marc.

Another one goes on the list.

Did you have any luck with that record you were after?

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

It has ! When I bought my "Lonely Lover" on a white 7inch I had Glayds Knight , Marvelettes "Never Too Late" and a third thing off the same list  :) Mid to late late eighties  :)

link

In that case I've got one of them as well. Don't buy it Mike - you can have mine for a Stella top.

Send me your address or I'll bring it out next time I see you

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Off topic. Sorry  :)

link

Down sarrrf we don't bother repeating oursens Steve :lol: but your right putting lemonade in wifebeater is a sin unless you are wearing a frock :)

Social source share

Down sarrrf we don't bother repeating oursens Steve  :)   but your right putting lemonade in wifebeater is a sin unless you are wearing a frock  :P

link

:):lol::)

Got to be some 'Norven' in you somewhere JOT- 'oursens' :P although we pronounce it arrsens. (singular, mi sen )

(Or if your Mark Etheridge "arrsens")

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Off topic. Sorry  :lol:

link

Obviously in my northern youth I used to drink aviation fuel and eat nothing but lard but 15 years in London has reduced me to a wimpy shandy-swilling pseudo-southern excuse for a man

I'm barred from St Helens these days.

Social source share

I'm barred from St Helens these days.

link

Thats not because you live darn sarf. Thats because you don't walk on all fours  :)

Social source share

Mid eighties was pressed on a white label ( ?) with black print and speeded up so much it was a bit Mickey Mousey. Still got it somewhere, but deffo not the same speed as on the Motown tapes John MAnship used to sell.

Anybody remember 'Absent Minded Lover ' ? Suspicion came out on same label.

link

Now this is getting wierder, cos I've got the speeded up version on a tape somewhere, but the white label sounds at the right pitch, well to these cloth ears anyway :)

Social source share

Now this is getting wierder, cos I've got the speeded up version on a tape somewhere, but the white label sounds at the right pitch, well to these cloth ears anyway :lol:

link

Apologies,

The speeded up verion is on a wishy washy pink coloured label.

And no, I don't know of any other releases on Wishy Washy. :)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

:)   :)   :lol:

Got to be some 'Norven' in you somewhere JOT- 'oursens'  :P  

link

Is that a proposition :) happen there maybes a bit of norman in me Steve :P

Social source share

i think you're right chalky (most everybody seems to think that way too)

i wonder what it was doing in the states though - you'd have thought they would have come over here immediately they were pressed

Social source share

i think you're right chalky (most everybody seems to think that way too)

i wonder what it was doing in the states though - you'd have thought they would have come over here immediately they were pressed

link

I know some who pressed stuff up sent them over there to make them seem more authentic :) Some stateside probably bought some after thinking they were on to a good thing :lol:

Social source share

I know some who pressed stuff up sent them over there to make them seem more authentic  :thumbsup:     Some stateside probably bought some after thinking they were on to a good thing  wink.gif

link

yes probably right

oh what tangled webs some weave eh

Social source share

Bought mine for £2 in woolworths..Picture sleeve  with world x on flip..Always been a play for me..Also got it on a Marvin album..Can' tremenber title...Great version indeed..Some say the best!

link

Those who reckon that version is the best got no taste wink.gif:thumbsup:laugh.gif It's spoiled for a start with the electronic instruments thmbdn.gif

Social source share

Those who reckon that version is the best got no taste  wink.gif   :thumbsup:   laugh.gif   It's spoiled for a start with the electronic instruments  thmbdn.gif

link

Agreed - it's horrible.

I think there's a version of Lonely Lover on 'Advance' credited to Eddie Holland, speeded up way too much.

Social source share

Agreed - it's horrible.

I think there's a version of Lonely Lover on 'Advance' credited to Eddie Holland, speeded up way too much.

link

Its a one sided thing on a white Advance label as you say Pete.

Social source share

would say almost catagorically that this isn't genuine Motown acetate.  One of those done in the 80's probably.

link

The scan you are referring to Challky is indeed showing only the done 7inch pressing. Not the original acetate if in this case there ever was one.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The scan you are referring to Challky is indeed showing only the done 7inch pressing. Not the original acetate if in this case there ever was one.

link

Like I said earlier, I was led to believe these white labels were recorded from tapes discovered around the early 80s. I've not seen or heard of any acetates of lonely lover, tho I wouldnt doubt of their existance.

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Anybody know when "Lonely lover" was recorded ? Sounds late 60s, 69 or sumfink.

From "DFTMC" web site...

Lonely Lover (Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr) publ. Jobete

Four Tops; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 07-Sep-67 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier

23-Mar-98; CD (M): Debutante 530 814 2 This Is Northern Soul! Volume 2 [uK]

02-May-05; CD (M): Motown 067 024 2 This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound Volume 1 [uK]

25-May-05; CD (S): Hip-O Select B0003626-02 Lost Without You: Motown Lost And Found [stereo]

Jimmy McFarland; recording details unknown

16-Aug-69; 45 (M): RPR R 108 A

Marvin Gaye; recorded Hitsville, completed 29-Jan-65 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier

29-Jan-65 [acetate]; LP (M): Q-HBM-0179-NN1

29-Jan-65 [acetate]; LP (M): Q-HBM-0179-NN1

31-Jan-65 [acetate]; 45 (M): CBMN 0166-NH1

Mar-86; LP (S): Motown 6172 Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye [with overdubs added 1986]

25-Apr-95; CD (M): Motown 530 492 2 The Master 1961-1984

Social source share

I and several other people I know bought a plain white label of it at Stafford circa '84 - around the same time I bought a 'Mafon' (or whatever the label was called - copy of 'Suspicion', However I was told that the first person to play it out was Richard Searling first at Wigan then Stafford.

Social source share

it came out with a few more Motown white labels including the Marvelettes - Boy From Crosstown, Chris Clark`s Do I Love You and a few more, from the release of the vaults tapes.

Social source share

Wow !! a gaggle of info, so it's 1967 then ? After my original posting I changed my mind and thought it would be nearer that '67 date, many thanks, Chris.  :thumbsup:  I picked up one of those 12" for a fiver including shipping.  :)

Marvin was 1965, its in the info I posted.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!