If This Is The Top Playlist

Pete S

Just looking at a cd called The Playlist 2007 - an official release - and ok so it's over a year old but look at the track listing below and tell me how many haven't been big previously on the scene...nearly everything is a reactivated oldie!

(Nothing wrong with most of the tracks, thats not what I mean, but where are the newies?)

The Playlist 2007 - New Northern Soul CD

1. TJ WILLIAMS - BABY I NEED YOU

2. DJ GENESIS - TRIBUTE TO BETTYE WRIGHT

3. FLAMING EMERALDS - HAVE SOME VERYBODY

4. BITS N PIECES - KEEP RUNNING AWAY

5. SAM COOKE - SUGAR DUMPLING

6. UNIQUES - NOT TOO LONG AGO

7. SOUL BROTHERS INC - TEARDROP

8. JO JAMA - MY LIFE

9. DON GARDNER - MY BABY LIKES BOOGALOO

10. AD-LIBS - THINK OF ME

11. ENCHANTMENTS - I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER

12. BARBARA LYNN - MOVE ON THE GROOVE

13. HAROLD MELVIN - PRAYIN'

14. ARCHIE BELL - WHERE WILL YOU GO WHEN THE PARTY'S OVER

15. TRUTH - COMING HOME

16. OSCAR PERRY - I GOT WHAT YOU NEED

17. MANDRILL - TOO LATE

18. BOBBY PATTERSON - I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU

19. BETTY BROOKS - FUNKY FUNKY

20. JOHNNIE TAYLOR - BLUES IN THE NIGHT

21. JACK MONTGOMERY - MY DEAR BELOVED

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just looking at a cd called Playlist 2007 - an official release - and ok so it's over a year old but look at the track listing below and tell me how many haven't been big previously on the scene...nearly everything is a reactivated oldie!

8. JO JAMA - MY LIFE

15. TRUTH - COMING HOME

17. MANDRILL - TOO LATE

Who's responsible for this then, Pete?

Social source share

Just looking at a cd called The Playlist 2007 - an official release - and ok so it's over a year old but look at the track listing below and tell me how many haven't been big previously on the scene...nearly everything is a reactivated oldie!

(Nothing wrong with most of the tracks, thats not what I mean, but where are the newies?)

8. JO JAMA - MY LIFE

15. TRUTH - COMING HOME

17. MANDRILL - TOO LATE

:D I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH YOU PETE, FURTHER TO THE POINT ALL THE CDs THAT I OWN WERE GIVEN TO ME HOWEVER I DID BUY20+ FROM JOHN & MALCOMS SHOP IN WILLINHALL YEARS AGO, I FEEL THE SAME ABOUT TODAYS DJs WHO HAVE A BOX OF RARE RECORDS AND GET TO DJ AT TOP VENUES? ASK MOST OF THEM HOW BIG IS YOUR RECORD COLLECTION AND THE BOX IS THE COLLECTION. MEANWHILE THE TRUE BLACK MUSIC FAN WHO TAKES PRIDE IN THERE COLLECTIONS AND HAVE TUNES THAT MAYBE NOT SO RARE IN MONEY TERMS ARE OUT OF THE RELMS OF THESE DJs WHO BUY THERE WAY IN THATS WHY I WANT TO GO BACK TO BASICS LIKE AT THE START OF THE 100 CLUB AND DO AN ECLECTIC MUSIC NIGHT OF RARE BLACK STUFF I DONT CARE IF I PLAY TO A EMPTY ROOM OR TO 100 AS LONG AS THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS SOUL :g: ...DAVE KIL

PS: MICK DISCOVERED JACK MONTGOMERY IN 71 AND WE USED TO PLAY IT IN THE DIVE BAR THROUGH 72 AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HE TOOK IT TO THE MECCA WERE IT GOT SPUN BY TONY JEBB..I WISH I COULD SAY I DISCOVERED THIS? :thumbup:

Social source share

Pete you should have been at Lifeline your faith in Northern soul would have been restored

======================================================================

Or the Sunflower suite in Birmingham or Burnley niter ,Middleton , DDA Lowton ect ect Truth is plenty soulies out there

who love this kinda stuff which can be reflected in the number of folk who turn out to these events where that kinda stuff is played out...........Me would much rather listen to Butch, Andy Dyson Mick H , Andy Killick and around another

15 / 20 other DJ,s who play something different venues like Lifeline, Wilton, Middleton, Sunflower DDA Lowton

keepthe scene moving forward with the great music played by knowledgeble DJ,s..

Nothing wrong with the CD just not the kinda soul i wanna hear i want something fresh !!!!!!!

x Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Same here Ian........Ive raved all week about Burnley Last Fri........BUT god you just gotta love some of those tracks especially

Flaming Emeralds

Bits & Pieces

Mandrill

Rick

Edited by Scarborosoul
Social source share

Maybe the header should read 'The Sad State Of Northern Soul CD Compilers' Pete :D

M. :thumbup:

LOL, depends what the remit is Mark. :thumbup:

I think that CD's a bootleg for a start so doesn't count as a legit release to the market. But when you release to the market you can sell to either a few hundred or thirty thousand - the market, repertoire and/or licensing budget dictates the type of album that gets legally released. One man's Northern Soul CD is another man's cobbled together lousily sequenced poor bootleg..............

There's TONS of Northern Soul bootleg CD's at the moment being openly sold on E-Bay and the BPI and record companies don't seem that bothered or can't afford the legal expense of persuing 'em, so there'll be tons more like this in the future I reckon..... :g:

Ian D :wicked:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

:thumbup: I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH YOU PETE, FURTHER TO THE POINT ALL THE CDs THAT I OWN WERE GIVEN TO ME HOWEVER I DID BUY20+ FROM JOHN & MALCOMS SHOP IN WILLINHALL YEARS AGO, I FEEL THE SAME ABOUT TODAYS DJs WHO HAVE A BOX OF RARE RECORDS AND GET TO DJ AT TOP VENUES? ASK MOST OF THEM HOW BIG IS YOUR RECORD COLLECTION AND THE BOX IS THE COLLECTION. MEANWHILE THE TRUE BLACK MUSIC FAN WHO TAKES PRIDE IN THERE COLLECTIONS AND HAVE TUNES THAT MAYBE NOT SO RARE IN MONEY TERMS ARE OUT OF THE RELMS OF THESE DJs WHO BUY THERE WAY IN THATS WHY I WANT TO GO BACK TO BASICS LIKE AT THE START OF THE 100 CLUB AND DO AN ECLECTIC MUSIC NIGHT OF RARE BLACK STUFF I DONT CARE IF I PLAY TO A EMPTY ROOM OR TO 100 AS LONG AS THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS SOUL :g: ...DAVE KIL

PS: MICK DISCOVERED JACK MONTGOMERY IN 71 AND WE USED TO PLAY IT IN THE DIVE BAR THROUGH 72 AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HE TOOK IT TO THE MECCA WERE IT GOT SPUN BY TONY JEBB..I WISH I COULD SAY I DISCOVERED THIS? :thumbup:

Do you know if John H & Malc still sell records i remember they moved to Dudley Port underneath the railway but i moved over to OZ then so lost touch ,good lads the pair of em :D

Social source share

8. JO JAMA - MY LIFE

15. TRUTH - COMING HOME

17. MANDRILL - TOO LATE

Unfortunately, typical of the times, play safe comfort zone compilation IMHO.

kEV

Social source share

Do you know if John H & Malc still sell records i remember they moved to Dudley Port underneath the railway but i moved over to OZ then so lost touch ,good lads the pair of em :thumbup:

John and Malc fell out and don't speak to each other, John lives about 2 miles away from Dudley Port in West Brom, Malc I think has a little second hand shop in Wednesfield selling allsorts

Social source share

John and Malc fell out and don't speak to each other, John lives about 2 miles away from Dudley Port in West Brom, Malc I think has a little second hand shop in Wednesfield selling allsorts

Cheers for the heads up on the two lads dont suppose u have email for johnnie hawkes ?

Social source share

Cheers for the heads up on the two lads dont suppose u have email for johnnie hawkes ?

You can contact him via ebay, seller name mlm sales, only trouble is, there's an asterisk in there somewhere like mlm*sales, I can never remember what it is, sorry, I'll try and find it

Social source share

LOL, depends what the remit is Mark. :(

I think that CD's a bootleg for a start so doesn't count as a legit release to the market. But when you release to the market you can sell to either a few hundred or thirty thousand - the market, repertoire and/or licensing budget dictates the type of album that gets legally released. One man's Northern Soul CD is another man's cobbled together lousily sequenced poor bootleg..............

There's TONS of Northern Soul bootleg CD's at the moment being openly sold on E-Bay and the BPI and record companies don't seem that bothered or can't afford the legal expense of persuing 'em, so there'll be tons more like this in the future I reckon..... :thumbup:

Ian D :(

I suppose Ian in the grand scheme of things, taken as a percentage this probably does reflect a typical playlist from a lot of , or even the majority of venues.

The compiler should broaden his horizons though methinks :lol: , just mho you know :thumbup:

M. :thumbup:

Social source share

You can contact him via ebay, seller name mlm sales, only trouble is, there's an asterisk in there somewhere like mlm*sales, I can never remember what it is, sorry, I'll try and find it

:thumbup: i USED TO LOOK FOREWARD TO GOING TO JOHN AND MALC THE TALC SHOP ON SATURDAYS MEET THE LADS PLAY TUNES FIND A BARGIN OR SELL A TUNE IT WAS ALMOST A CLUB IN ITS OWN RIGHT, PETE THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO CREATE AGAIN BUT WITH AN EMPHISIS ON THE RECORED BEING PLAYED IT WILL HAPPEN, I SAW JOHN NOT SO LONG AGO AND WITHOUT GOING TO MUCH INTO THERE PERSONAL LIVE HE WAS CLEARLY BRUISED BY THE WHOLE AFFAIR AND AS HE WAS THE BACKER I FELT FOR HIM I HAVE KNOW MALC FOR YEARS AND HE KNOWS WHAT THINK ALL I CAN SAY IS I TOLD HIM AND REMEMBER HE IS A GOOD BLOKE THAT IF HE WAS NOT CRIPPLED HE WOULD BE NOW HE GOT THE MESSAGE AS FOR JOHN HE TOLD ME HE DID NOT WANT TO TAKE IT FURTHER THE OFFER IS STILL THERE I AM GOOD AT GETTING THINGS BACK :yes: BY THE WAY IF YOU CAN REMEMBER ROGER THE MAN WITH A 10 INCH TOOL SELLING LOADS OF 7ts SOUL TO JOHN AND BECAUSE OF THE ISSUES HE CAME ACCROSS THEM HE HAD ONLY GONE AND LEFT THEM OUT SIDE FOR 18MONTHS AS YOU CAN IMMAGINE WHEN THE BOX WAS OPENED THET WERE ALLSTUCK TOGETHER SHIT, MIND YOU CAN YOU IMMAGINE COMING ACROSS ALL THE SHRINE STUFF AN INCREDIBLE STORY..JOHN & MALC THE TALC A PART OF WOLVES RARE SOUL MODERN MEMMORIES :lol: .DAVE KIL

Social source share

Dave I know Roger very well in fact I had about 300 records off him in december, but 10" tool?? Never heard him called that before :lol:

:thumbup: HE IS A BIG BOY ROG. I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM SINCE THE JAMES BROWN NIGHT AT CIVIC HE REALY IS A GREAT AND KNOWLAGABLE SOUL MAN ITS A SHAME HE FELL ON HARD TIMES I MUST MAKE CONTACT WITH HIM :yes: DAVE KIL

Social source share

:wicked: i USED TO LOOK FOREWARD TO GOING TO JOHN AND MALC THE TALC SHOP ON SATURDAYS MEET THE LADS PLAY TUNES FIND A BARGIN OR SELL A TUNE IT WAS ALMOST A CLUB IN ITS OWN RIGHT, PETE THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO CREATE AGAIN BUT WITH AN EMPHISIS ON THE RECORED BEING PLAYED IT WILL HAPPEN, I SAW JOHN NOT SO LONG AGO AND WITHOUT GOING TO MUCH INTO THERE PERSONAL LIVE HE WAS CLEARLY BRUISED BY THE WHOLE AFFAIR AND AS HE WAS THE BACKER I FELT FOR HIM I HAVE KNOW MALC FOR YEARS AND HE KNOWS WHAT THINK ALL I CAN SAY IS I TOLD HIM AND REMEMBER HE IS A GOOD BLOKE THAT IF HE WAS NOT CRIPPLED HE WOULD BE NOW HE GOT THE MESSAGE AS FOR JOHN HE TOLD ME HE DID NOT WANT TO TAKE IT FURTHER THE OFFER IS STILL THERE I AM GOOD AT GETTING THINGS BACK :no: BY THE WAY IF YOU CAN REMEMBER ROGER THE MAN WITH A 10 INCH TOOL SELLING LOADS OF 7ts SOUL TO JOHN AND BECAUSE OF THE ISSUES HE CAME ACCROSS THEM HE HAD ONLY GONE AND LEFT THEM OUT SIDE FOR 18MONTHS AS YOU CAN IMMAGINE WHEN THE BOX WAS OPENED THET WERE ALLSTUCK TOGETHER SHIT, MIND YOU CAN YOU IMMAGINE COMING ACROSS ALL THE SHRINE STUFF AN INCREDIBLE STORY..JOHN & MALC THE TALC A PART OF WOLVES RARE SOUL MODERN MEMMORIES :lol: .DAVE KIL

Cheers for the heads up on Malc & JOhn ,i checked his ebay but no Northern 45s just videos & lps mainly, one of the best memories of the shop was when someone new came in Malcs normal opening line was " Did i ever tell you i was a dj" :lol::)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert