Can Anyone Help This Artists

Here's a message I received today from songwriter Eddie Johnson. Can anyone help him out? If nyone has any 45s that they're wiling to donate to the original writer I'm sure he'd be most appreciative.

I can be contacted at hitsville2648@earthlink.net

Sir,

I happened to see the magazine "There's That Beat" September 2007 regarding Johnny Brantley / The Adventurers / The Chosen Few. My name is Edward (Eddie Johnson) and I was an original member and songwriter in the Adventurers. Johnny produced the group (The Adventurers) after we left Columbia Records. Our album there was Can't Stop Twistin." I read with great interest your accounting of my group and you are correct in that The Chosen Few grew from the Adventurers. You are also correct in that the songs on Compass, Music World and Maple Records basically stemmed from the Adventurers. Thank you for recognizing Gerald Perry and myself as writers for much of the recorded material.

I also found it amazing that our material had made a small dent in the U.K..I had no idea that our album had been redone on the Phillips Label.

My question for you is, where might I find copies of our records for purchase. Unfortunately, I lost all of my materials (records, unpublished songs and demos) in a fire in the mid eighties. I would love to get my hands on the records and albums for both The Adventurers and The Chosen Few.

As a person that appreciates music, I'm sure you understand how important it is for me to find access to my materials, if possible.

Thanking you in advance.........

Eddie Johnson

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Here's a message I received today from songwriter Eddie Johnson. Can anyone help him out? If nyone has any 45s that they're wiling to donate to the original writer I'm sure he'd be most appreciative.

Sir,

I happened to see the magazine "There's That Beat" September 2007 regarding Johnny Brantley / The Adventurers / The Chosen Few. My name is Edward (Eddie Johnson) and I was an original member and songwriter in the Adventurers. Johnny produced the group (The Adventurers) after we left Columbia Records. Our album there was Can't Stop Twistin." I read with great interest your accounting of my group and you are correct in that The Chosen Few grew from the Adventurers. You are also correct in that the songs on Compass, Music World and Maple Records basically stemmed from the Adventurers. Thank you for recognizing Gerald Perry and myself as writers for much of the recorded material.

I also found it amazing that our material had made a small dent in the U.K..I had no idea that our album had been redone on the Phillips Label.

My question for you is, where might I find copies of our records for purchase. Unfortunately, I lost all of my materials (records, unpublished songs and demos) in a fire in the mid eighties. I would love to get my hands on the records and albums for both The Adventurers and The Chosen Few.

As a person that appreciates music, I'm sure you understand how important it is for me to find access to my materials, if possible.

Eddie Johnson

Maybe we could do the same thing here as we did for Gil Blanding, source the records from a dealer or collector who is prepared to part with them and pledge a donation, I'll kick it off with twenty quid, I have their Music World record but can't part with it sorry it's just too good, pretty sure we can come up with something on this one.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Maybe we could do the same thing here as we did for Gil Blanding, source the records from a dealer or collector who is prepared to part with them and pledge a donation, I'll kick it off with twenty quid, I have their Music World record but can't part with it sorry it's just too good, pretty sure we can come up with something on this one.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,

Nice gesture. But I think Ed is happy to pay for the discs, it's just a case of locating them and pointing him in the right direction. Can you believe this.....he lived 5 miles from me for 5 years! STRANGE world of Northern Soul.

Social source share

Guest shaunthesheep

Sir,

Eddie Johnson

Hello, just wondering if its the same Eddie Johnson who sang "Mis-ter Night/I Lost, My Linda" on Candi Records.

Taf

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I can send him my spare of the Adventurers (I just realised I have 2). Send me his postage address.

Hi this is Eddie Johnson. I just joined the group. Wow! I'm so glad to hear that you have a copy you can spare. I will be happy to pay the shipping fot the record. My information;

Eddie Johnson

4327 S Hwy 27 Suite 331

Clermont, Florida 34711

edtaco@msn.com

Thank You so much

Ed

Social source share

Hello, just wondering if its the same Eddie Johnson who sang "Mis-ter Night/I Lost, My Linda" on Candi Records.

Taf

Hi, This is Eddie Johnson. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that product. I hope you locate the "other" Eddie Johnson

Social source share

Hi

Let me have his details and I will send him a copy of the Chosen Few on Canyon

Dave

Hi Dave, I sent you an earlier response that I didn't see. I've never met you but you are one of the very special people in the group that have responded to my quest. I am happy to pay for the product and the shipping. This is very special to me and I really appreciate you and other members that have been so kind to assist me.

My email is edtaco@msn.com and you can mail to: Eddie Johnson 4327 S. Hwy 27 Suite 331, Clermont Fl 34711.

Again thanks and God Bless You!

Ed

Social source share

Hi Mark,

Nice gesture. But I think Ed is happy to pay for the discs, it's just a case of locating them and pointing him in the right direction. Can you believe this.....he lived 5 miles from me for 5 years! STRANGE world of Northern Soul.

Mark, Dave is correct. I will be happy to pay for the material and shipping. I want to thank Dave so much for introducing me to the group through publishing the letter I sent him.

If anyone member knows the availability of any Adventurer or Chosen Few products I will be happy and please to communicate with them

Again Thanks......... This is a wonderful group and I am happy to be a member.

Ed

Social source share

Mark, Dave is correct. I will be happy to pay for the material and shipping. I want to thank Dave so much for introducing me to the group through publishing the letter I sent him.

If anyone member knows the availability of any Adventurer or Chosen Few products I will be happy and please to communicate with them

Again Thanks......... This is a wonderful group and I am happy to be a member.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Welcome to Soul Source. I'm sure the guys here will be able to help in your quest. Be nice to see you reunited with your records. Good Hunting.

Social source share

Taf

That'll be the Edwin Johnson who was also in the Mello Souls probably. They had a release on Candi, one side credited to Silus Phifer and the Mellow Fellows and the other side to Edwin Johnson. Both sides are in refosoul.

Social source share

Sir,

Eddie Johnson

Hi Eddie, I would like to introduce myself to you, my name is Alan Pollard and I live in Denbigh which is in North Wales in the United Kingdom. I am pleased that you have found our Soul Source group, you probably don't realise how much you guys are admired over here in the UK. I have been on the Rare Soul Scene now for 42 years and I am now 52 and your record "Easy baby" on Compass is in my top 5 records of all time and "I caught you cheatin'" on Music World in my top ten, stunning tracks and I thank very much for recording them, you will find that myself and my fellow members will do everything we can to help you. Sorry to hear at your loss in the fire, you must have been devastated.Anyway we will look forward to any contribution you give to the group.Kind RegardsAlan Pollard

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Hi Eddie,tell us about how you got into singing,what town you grew up in,who was your fav singer and groups when you was a kid etc,any storys like this will be welcomed on the Forum. Welcome Eddie. Graham.

Social source share

Guest posstot

Welcome Eddie. You are probably in for a few trips down memory lane, with some long lost memories to be recalled to you, from some of the MANY questions you are about to receive, from us all on here. :thumbup: I look forward to reading the thread.......isn't the intyernet bloody marvelous...?

I'm assuming that you have been told the values of your discs by now.? Regards Mike

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Wow...

I live just around the corner in Downtown Clermont, Highway 50 and 4th street, just opposite #1 Firehouse, literally less than a mile from this address.

If you want to pop round and listen to some other rare soul whether it be on vinyl (what little I have) or CD let me know, or to talk about anything let me know

The strange world of Northern Soul

Social source share

Hi this is Eddie Johnson. I just joined the group. Wow! I'm so glad to hear that you have a copy you can spare. I will be happy to pay the shipping fot the record. My information;

Eddie Johnson

4327 S Hwy 27 Suite 331

Clermont, Florida 34711

edtaco@msn.com

Thank You so much

Ed

Hey Ed, I've got you on this. I'll try to get this LP in the mail to you later this week. I'm listening to it now actually, damn good R&B vocal group LP.

Take Care

Kris

Social source share

Hi Eddie

One thing that has always puzzled me about records like Easy Baby, although they are regarded within our rare soul scene as 'gems' its almost always the case that commercially they did not make the writers/producers/singers rich.

So what inspired you to make them the way they are, uptempo, gritty, and unlike the smooth motown sound that obviously did sell?

Without artists like you we would not have this brilliant collection of records from the 60s and 70s that form what we class as Northern Soul. In fact 'Easy Baby'

could quite easily be a 'definition' of what that genre is.

I hope you find all your material in due course and I like many others on here would like to thank you and your compatriates involved in making those tunes for us to enjoy.

If you ever get the chance to experience a well attended Northern Soul night with up to 2000 people dancing to and singing along to Easy Baby. word for word, Im sure it would be reward enough.

Thanks again.

Ed

Edited by tomangoes
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eddie, welcome to soul source. It's great to see the artists behind the records we love on here. Are you still in contact with the others? Do you still sing today?

It's funny you should ask. After not seeing each other for over 30 years, Mac Willams (Adventurers & Chosen Few singer) called me out of the blue. A common friend gave him my number. He lives in Atlanta GA and was bringing his grandkids to Disney this past weekend. I met up with him and we had a great reunion. He had Gerald Perry's number (Writer/Singer Adventurers & Chosen Few)and we chatted on the phone for a couple of hours. I now have most the group member's numbers and some of our bandmembers numbers also. We are all going to try and meet this summer. Now that we've found each othetr we will stay in touch. I told them about the Forum and they were also pleased to know that England has knowledge of us.

As to singing, I'm a cancer survivor and the singing voice went about 6years ago. This has all been surreal, getting in contact with the Forum and then making contact with group members after so long. all I can say is WOW!

Social source share

Hi Eddie

One thing that has always puzzled me about records like Easy Baby, although they are regarded within our rare soul scene as 'gems' its almost always the case that commercially they did not make the writers/producers/singers rich.

So what inspired you to make them the way they are, uptempo, gritty, and unlike the smooth motown sound that obviously did sell?

Without artists like you we would not have this brilliant collection of records from the 60s and 70s that form what we class as Northern Soul. In fact 'Easy Baby'

could quite easily be a 'definition' of what that genre is.

I hope you find all your material in due course and I like many others on here would like to thank you and your compatriates involved in making those tunes for us to enjoy.

If you ever get the chance to experience a well attended Northern Soul night with up to 2000 people dancing to and singing along to Easy Baby. word for word, Im sure it would be reward enough.

Thanks again.

Ed

Social source share

You are correct in that there are many good artists and writers/producers that create great product. The problem is, unless they are promoted properly by the record label it never happens. In our case Compass Records was a small relativly new label. We were produced by Johnny Brantley who also produced the Ohio Players. We worked with the Ohio Players but were never lucky enough to get the amount of airplay needed to "take - off." We were an excellent show group (provided very good performances) but just didn't get the right breaks.

I would love to get to the UK and attend one of the soul nights you mentioned.

Social source share

Hi Eddie,tell us about how you got into singing,what town you grew up in,who was your fav singer and groups when you was a kid etc,any storys like this will be welcomed on the Forum. Welcome Eddie. Graham.

The Adventurers started together in high school in Newark NJ in the early 60's. It was the doo-wop era. Groups were singing on street corners, at school and at parties. We started singing in group challenges along with groups like The Parliments (later Gerorge Clinton and Funkadelic.

We formulated our songs based on several components. We (of course) were influenced by the Motown Sound (funk brothers band and Smokey Robinson,Eddie Holland & Norman Whitfield writers). Motown groups like "TheTemps, Four Tops, Contours were the premiere showmen. Groups like The Drifters, Manhattens, had great harmony and exellent lyrics. The Philly Sound also was an influence. The truth is, I feel we incorporated a little of many and developed a sound of our own. We worked hard in the studio to stay original and create the sound we wanted. We also provided our fans with excellent shows that demonstrated our showmanship. We did a lot of Temps material at shows and had a lot of their sound and moves down pat.

I can say, we may not have ever reached stardom but we enjoyed what we did and were very dedicated. I only wish we had the opportunty to perform in the UK.

Social source share

Hey Ed, I've got you on this. I'll try to get this LP in the mail to you later this week. I'm listening to it now actually, damn good R&B vocal group LP.

Take Care

Kris

Thanks,Kris I'm looking forward to it.

God Bless

Eddie

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,Kris I'm looking forward to it.

God Bless

Eddie

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I just got back in town and the album was here. I can't express my gratitude to you enough. I'm going to make a couple of CD's for group members.

God Bless You!

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert