Don Thomas Hits The Big Time

BazM

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think he is still with us. I though young Pottsy was in touch with him on the west coast.

Just checked and Don still has a current affiliation with BMI, and is down as songwriter/composer for this track. So I guess they would have to give him royalties? - else he can come after them :ohmy:

m

Social source share

Guest rigs28

it amazes me who does the research for the backing songs for these ads?someone who must be a little clued up on northern soul surely.

Social source share

Guest abdntony

it amazes me who does the research for the backing songs for these ads?someone who must be a little clued up on northern soul surely.

more and more on a regular basis appearing on tv adds etc as you say someone clued up

Social source share

Guest Trevski

BBC programme on caravanning the other nite opened with "Sliced tomato's" followed with "California montage" and a couple of others I can't remember now......

Social source share

BBC programme on caravanning the other nite opened with "Sliced tomato's" followed with "California montage" and a couple of others I can't remember now......

I saw that too but was too embarrassed to own up to watching a programme about caravans until someone else did. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

BBC programme on caravanning the other nite... followed with "California montage"......

I KNOW. It spooked me I don't mind telling you, as I was just flicking TV channels to have a rest from typing out the damned Mecca playlist! :ohmy:

How weird is that though? unsure.gif

I suspect the current prevalence of "Northern Soul" related ad. and programme soundtracks is more down to the number of Northern compilation CDs and the success of the 'Felix' and KFC ads than any sympathy for the music on the part of programme makers - plus the "Retro-is-hip" obsessions of the 20-somethings who make 'em! :ohmy:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I KNOW. It spooked me I don't mind telling you, as I was just flicking TV channels to have a rest from typing out the damned Mecca playlist! :ohmy:

How weird is that though? unsure.gif

I suspect the current prevalence of "Northern Soul" related ad. and programme soundtracks is more down to the number of Northern compilation CDs and the success of the 'Felix' and KFC ads than any sympathy for the music on the part of programme makers - plus the "Retro-is-hip" obsessions of the 20-somethings who make 'em! :ohmy:

I remember the "Felix" and "KFC" adds but unfortunately can't remember the tunes. Does this mean the ads did their job in that I remeber the product long after the ad campaign finished?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I saw that too but was too embarrassed to own up to watching a programme about caravans until someone else did. :ohmy:

laugh.gif The shame!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

has constantly been one of my top tens, completley ruined the track with a crap ad, if they wanted a soul tune they could have used moneys too tight to mention / valentine bros....would have been more appropiate.

One of your top ten sounds is completely ruined because it appears in an ad? Bit extreme huh.gif

I still love it, i don't give a toss if it's used in an ad. In fact i'll probably play it out at the next Move On. :ohmy:

They wouldn't get many customers for a credit card with 'money's too tight to mention' :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

As an advert its cracking, a lot better than a cat running around to Rubin.

Not going to lose any sleep over Don Thomas being positioned against a cool advert & Bill Shannon's dancing is great.

Don Thomas (even with that breakbeat over the top) sounded good - personally I think the remix will sell and hopefully make a wedge for Don. thumbsup.gif

Here's more of Bill Shannon's moves:

">
Social source share

As an advert its cracking, a lot better than a cat running around to Rubin.

Not going to lose any sleep over Don Thomas being positioned against a cool advert & Bill Shannon's dancing is great.

Don Thomas (even with that breakbeat over the top) sounded good - personally I think the remix will sell and hopefully make a wedge for Don. thumbsup.gif

Here's more of Bill Shannon's moves:

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Does anybody watch Cbeebies, obviously if only you have kids, anyhow they use a re working of Burts apple crumble - The quick, every day on the bedtime hour, see if you can pick that one up.

Dont know if anybody on here works for Trinity Mirror? well if you do check out the IT hold music, this morning was Tony Clark's Landslide, and last Friday when I called it was the Spellbinders!!!

I never knew working for a national Newspaper would give me Northern Soul on Hold !!

Mal.C. wink.gif

Social source share

Gordon Ramsey kitchen programme usually has a bit of rare soul on it here and there.

Can't say I care for it myself, using good NS tracks to flog tacky crap on the tele. Sort of cheapens the music imo.

R Dean Taylor - Ghost etc. played in the background on Eastenders last night :thumbup:

I wasn't watching, honest, it was on one of the screens in the gym :thumbup:

Social source share

Gordon Ramsey kitchen programme usually has a bit of rare soul on it here and there.

Can't say I care for it myself, using good NS tracks to flog tacky crap on the tele. Sort of cheapens the music imo.

I think we can live with it though...........especially if it has the same effect as when Levis jeans used Marvin Gaye! Hopefully the artist (or his estate) will get some of the royaties the probably didn't get first time around............

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

but does this mean that another brilliant track has been culled from future playlists as it will be another 'from that advert' record?

i do hope not, its a great track, and fun to cue up the next one without being caught out :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I saw that too but was too embarrassed to own up to watching a programme about caravans until someone else did. :lol:

Wife Swap on Ch 4 used to be full of Northern.

Social source share

Anyone seen the latsest TV ad for Visa? Great ad with Come On Train as the backing track, hope Don got some royalties (if he's still with us)

JUST ANOTHER CLASSIC THROWN TO THE COMMERCIAL LIONS.

Edited by swoz
Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

stewart cosgrove is the head of channel 4 i believe.He is a big Northern soul devotee ,so he might be behind or influencing the sounds being released

He also does a football phone in with Tam cowan "off the ball" funny funny

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

Wife Swap on Ch 4 used to be full of Northern.

No Angels, the programme about the nurses in Leeds was too

Social source share

Am I right in believing that 'Don' Thomas was in reality Charlie Thomas from an early 70's 'The Drifters' line-up?

Just as a tasty morsel for the masses, I must add that Welsh-Ravers (??) K Klass did a cut up in about '94 of 'COT' which wasn't half bad.

Social source share

As Henry Lumpkin sang, Soul is taking over.

Walking through Marks and Sparks the other day and heard Mamie Galore - It aint necessay.

RUFC will play Franks DILYIID just before the players run out

In an electrical shop in Rife last week and they were playing Lee Ritneurs Fly by night.

Lets be fair, If I was in charge anywhere of putting music out, Id do the same.

Ed

Social source share

Guest SteveA

Andrex are using "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" by Marvin & Tammi.

You would have thought that they would have chosen a shit track for their product....

"Train to Skaville" by the Ethiopians is on the DFS ad.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i don't care weather an advert, shop or whatever want to add Northern soul music cause for me i just enjoy it more. sing along to the song and usally some people might watch or be in a shop and go what is this and i am like classic Northern soul you should check it out

just look a fool when you want to start dancing in a shop to some Moses Smith that has been played out still i wonder if you can get a hat out and dance and ask for some money lol

Social source share

I think it's a great ad and the track is fabulous.

It's one of those records that I can never tire of-even though I probably heard it first almost 25 years ago.

I love the Bellamy bros one with the big slide too laugh.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert