Earliest Northern Soul 45s

Guest Eridu

The post asking about the birth of the 45 took my mind wandering to the early days of the medium...

What are some of the earliest recorded examples of northern soul?

I'm also interested in opinions on which styles/artists were the ancestors of motown/northern soul and would love to hear some examples.

Obviously it ALL goes back to the blues... it's filling in the evolutionary steps that really interests me.

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The post asking about the birth of the 45 took my mind wandering to the early days of the medium...

What are some of the earliest recorded examples of northern soul?

I'm also interested in opinions on which styles/artists were the ancestors of motown/northern soul and would love to hear some examples.

Obviously it ALL goes back to the blues... it's filling in the evolutionary steps that really interests me.

I don't know if I understand your question but anyway, the earliest 45s played on the scene outside the R&B rooms (i.e. 45s that gained a wider acceptance) that I know of were Charles Sheffield - Voodoo working (1957/58?) and Richard Berry - Have love will travel (1958/59?).

But if you're talking about the earliest records that had that sort of sound that later became known as Northern Soul, the first one that springs to my mind is Jimmy Ruffin - Don't feel sorry for me. From 1962 but sounds much much later...

Social source share

the earliest 45s played on the scene outside the R&B rooms (i.e. 45s that gained a wider acceptance) that I know of were Charles Sheffield - Voodoo working (1957/58?) and Richard Berry - Have love will travel (1958/59?).

I agree, those are good examples of early tunes that have gained mass acceptance, but Charles Sheffield is from 1961 and Richard Berry is from 1960.

Little Willie John "I'm Shakin" perhaps? It's from 1960.

Social source share

I agree, those are good examples of early tunes that have gained mass acceptance, but Charles Sheffield is from 1961 and Richard Berry is from 1960.

Little Willie John "I'm Shakin" perhaps? It's from 1960.

You're probably right about Charles Sheffield, I just thought I'd seen it somewhere that it was recorded or released in the late 50s but didn't verify that before posting.

But according to the Richard Berry discography on www.louielouie.net "have love will travel" was released in 1959 on Flip 349.

But in the end, may be it 1959 or 1960, it's still pretty early isn't it?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

In 1903, a traveling musician named William Christopher Handy was in Tutwiler, Mississippi, waiting for a train when he heard an itinerant musician playing a guitar with a knife blade and singing, "Going Where The Southern Crosses The Yellow Dog."...........The song, in three twelve-bar stanzas, intrigued Handy and he never forgot it.

This is without doubt the first "Northern Soul" record....Bob A will back me on this......... wink.gif:thumbsup:

ps...i haven't got it...... tongue.gif

BOB A WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU, YOU'RE NEEDED......... laugh.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest posstot

Great track. This is the kind of stuff I've been looking for--straight up roots music. That rhythm was way ahead of its time... almost sounds like rocksteady!

I've got an album on epic, a greatest hits from the fifties, a sixties issue.....anyway, it has I've got a feeling on it yet in stereo, ooh it sounds even better, sounds more like a 60-62 recording. A very polished record for it's day, just fab o lus!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The Frank Minion on Vik that I play is 1956 I think and at West Hampstead we used to play Fats Waller Your Feet's Too Big but not for a proper dance more a group hug at the end of the night.

and more of a group riot was Paul Gayten's 'Nervous Boogie' and Nobel Thinman Watts 'Blast Off' on Baton....and not forgetting 'Tune Up'...but I think I'm digressing :):D

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Nice record, but I can't imagine it going down too well in 1972! unsure.gif

The Delights 'Lover' Cuppy. Wasn't this a late 50's release? :lol:

Social source share

The Frank Minion on Vik that I play is 1956 I think and at West Hampstead we used to play Fats Waller Your Feet's Too Big but not for a proper dance more a group hug at the end of the night.

I had a Frank Minion on Vik - sounds like the theme tune to a 50s western... surely not one for the main rooms?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

If you go on the basis that most trad northern records took I Can't Help Myself for inspiration, surely early Motown stuff would be the first 'northern' sounding recordings around '63-64? Thats discounting beat ballads ect...

Quite. Any other interpretation is reading history backwards to accommodate what constitutes "Northern Soul" nowadays. Even beat ballads don't qualify under the earliest definitions of the genre, despite the occasional exceptions to the rule.

No wonder American ebay sellers are confused!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I had a Frank Minion on Vik - sounds like the theme tune to a 50s western... surely not one for the main rooms?

you mean 'how much land'?? Sounds pure Oscar Brown Jr to me not 50s western, but then, not Norhern soul either.

A Northern spin or not, the Big Maybelle is an incredible sound for the year.

Similar to the 'my isabella' i've been playing in terms of rhythm, which i believe is also mid 50s. I'll try post a sound clip

Social source share

nope sorry, not been able to post up refosoul sound files for ages, dont know why. anyway, wasn't that relevant. got to be richard berry for widespread plays?

Have Mercy Baby....by the Dominoes on Federal ..was a 52 release when it feature Clyde McPhatter (not the Billy ward one from 58)...which seems to work a main room very well.....

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert