L.j.reynolds

Alan Pollard

Hi,

I have just noticed on Steve Plumb's Soul Music Record Website that he has a copy of the briliant L.J.Reynolds "All I need" on Lady, my copy is on a label called Black Lady, the labels appear to be the same except for the absence of the word Black, the record number is identical BL-033.

Anyone know why this is so, regardless of anything else this is a class rework of The Temptations classic.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Alan, not sure why they dropped the 'Black'... (but I can probably imagine).

I have both and always felt the 'Black Lady' one was the first and its certainly the hardest of the two.

Steve also has the 'Black Lady' copy as I recall mentioning it to him, many years ago.

:shades:

Sean

I have it on both but I think one of the labels is just a promo with the same song on both sides? Does it exist with both sides on both labels?

Social source share

Hi,

I have just noticed on Steve Plumb's Soul Music Record Website that he has a copy of the briliant L.J.Reynolds "All I need" on Lady, my copy is on a label called Black Lady, the labels appear to be the same except for the absence of the word Black, the record number is identical BL-033.

Anyone know why this is so, regardless of anything else this is a class rework of The Temptations classic.

Regards

Alan

Fantastic record Alan. I bought it back when Ian Levine had his column in Black Music - he recommended (and played) the other side, an instrumental ' Cookin' with Nixon' is that on the Black Lady release? . It was many years before I actually played 'all I need'. :shades:

Mike

Social source share

Fantastic record Alan. I bought it back when Ian Levine had his column in Black Music - he recommended (and played) the other side, an instrumental ' Cookin' with Nixon' is that on the Black Lady release? . It was many years before I actually played 'all I need'. :shades:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Cookin' with Nixon appears as the B side on both Lady and Black Lady. like you say Mike great tune.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

My copy is an issue also, on Black lady

For those who haven't seen it, here's a scan of one (not mine though)

post-5094-1235777565_thumb.jpg

Here's the 'Cookin' side on Lady:

post-5094-1235777797_thumb.jpg

Maybe as Sean hinted, they dropped the 'Black' for er... political reasons :shades:

I don't know how controversial it would be to support Black power in 1972, seems like a pretty in thing for the time.

One interesting thing to note (which I knew before but which the label scan confirms) is that LJ Reynolds is from Sagniaw, MI, small town home to the Ringleaders, the Darrells on Lyco, and I think Stevie Wonder.

Social source share

Fantastic record Alan. I bought it back when Ian Levine had his column in Black Music - he recommended (and played) the other side, an instrumental ' Cookin' with Nixon' is that on the Black Lady release? . It was many years before I actually played 'all I need'. :D

Mike

Hi Mike/Sean/John/Bob/Alan et al

I do personally have the Black Lady issue with both sides (and the Lady copy for sale whistling.gif )

I think we all agree the Black Lady is the orig BUT why the name was changed we can only guess???

It is strange that everyone seemed to buy it back in the day for the 'cookin' and it was only many years later that folks realised how brilliant 'All i need' was! I think i only realised how good it was on hearing Mike Charlton make it massive in the early days of Yarmouth!

The beauty of Soul music eh! Always check yer B sides!!!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

If I remember correctly, the instrumental side to the LJ Reynolds is the same as Don Gardner & The Checkmates on Spectacular, albeit on that label it is simply called, 'Cookin''.

:thumbup:

Definitely right on that point Flynny.

I just wish I had played "All I need" before I sold the northern stuff - obviously it was filed there because of the 'cookin' side! So when I did finally hear it you can imagine my displeasure.

The Lady release was sold by Soul Bowl for about £1.50 wasn't it?

Regards,

RB

ps John Benson have you got everything!

Social source share

ps John Benson have you got everything!

Hi Rich,

No, I don't think I have that one - what label's it on? :lol:

Seriously though, there's loads I don't have, and even more I've not even heard - yet.

There's always something new to learn every day.

Also to add to Steve Plumb's comment about this record, I didn't even have a copy until after "All I need" was brought to our attention by Mike Charlton.

I heard 'Cookin' when it was first around and wasn't all that impressed, being an instrumental and all that, so didn't buy a copy.

So now you know! :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Rich,

No, I don't think I have that one - what label's it on? biggrin.gif

Seriously though, there's loads I don't have, and even more I've not even heard - yet.

There's always something new to learn every day.

Also to add to Steve Plumb's comment about this record, I didn't even have a copy until after "All I need" was brought to our attention by Mike Charlton.

I heard 'Cookin' when it was first around and wasn't all that impressed, being an instrumental and all that, so didn't buy a copy.

So now you know! :ohmy:

Hey John,

You're just being modest now aren't you?

Seriously, how many of us had "the other side"? And let's be honest, I only bought it because it was a Levine tip in "Hey Mr DJ" - a mistake a made more than once to be honest! I had the Don Gardner recording too - and that was just as bad.

I do wish I'd picked up a Gorgeous George though....

Nice to hear from you, take care,

RB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert