Elvis At Stax Records . .

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

A friend recently came back from a trip to Memphis.

He went with a family group who mainly wanted to do the Elvis/country thing - but OF COURSE diverted them to the Stax museum for a mooch around.

This morning he emailed me as follows:

Mark

Just out of interest I was doing a bit of digging about Elvis's relationship with Stax (If there was one) Our tour guide never mentioned anything about Elvis recording at Stax...but. It turns out Elvis recorded two sessions at Stax, I say recorded, the first session was abandoned due to Elvis's "mental state" supposedly Stax set up a Christmas tree in the studio, (to add atmosphere) which Elvis demolished... kung fu style.

The second session was more successful due to RCA importing an army of technical people to assist Stax and Elvis, as you can imagine both occasions were late in Elvis's career.

Is that correct and if so does any recorded material still exist.

I am definitely having one of those "Well I never knew that!" moments.

MB

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

does any recorded material still exist.

He did two sessions at Stax Studios, the first in July 1973 and the second in September 1973.

These recordings can be found on three of his albums - "Raised On Rock" (1973), "Good Times" (1974) and "Promised Land" (1975).

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Quick answer........... got to dash...

Elvis recorded at Stax 926 East McLemore in both July and December 1973.

Sean

Elvis's first visit is well documented in Rob Bowman's book on Stax. If memory serves he also visited in the late 60's/early 70's as the Stax studio staff were told to not be there, except for Steve Cropper and a few others. Seeing that Steve left stax around 1970, it must have been before that.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

That is very interesting to hear Elvis doing some like soulful music. how much more could we find of non soul artists doing stuff more soulful then we thought.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert