Anyone Seen This Before?

Pete S

THis is on Roger's list -

7 Lee & The Leopards - Trying To Make It b/w Come Into My Palace - Gordy (7002) (WDJ) £70.00

well known rare Motown record - but I've got it on Laurie demo, who obviously licensed it from Motown. Has anyone else got it on Laurie - I don't think it even makes the price guide.

post-1893-1235420944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

THis is on Roger's list -

7 Lee & The Leopards - Trying To Make It b/w Come Into My Palace - Gordy (7002) (WDJ) £70.00

well known rare Motown record - but I've got it on Laurie demo, who obviously licensed it from Motown. Has anyone else got it on Laurie - I don't think it even makes the price guide.

post-1893-1235420944_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

Aint ever seen one but it is listed on the Laurie Discography, which has many other surprises that I weren't aware it released. Interesting one I have to say. https://www.globaldogproductions.info/l/laurie.html

Al

Social source share

Indeed.

Also strange that there is more than a full year between the Gordy and Laurie releases.

The 45 on Gordy was issued in April 1962 and the Laurie 45 was issued in October 1963.

So according to the Soul Police the Laurie 45 is a reissue and therefore worth f*ck all, isn't it? wink.gif

Social source share

Indeed.

Also strange that there is more than a full year between the Gordy and Laurie releases.

The 45 on Gordy was issued in April 1962 and the Laurie 45 was issued in October 1963.

Very weird because one would have assumed that Berry Gordy would have got exclusive national rights in '62. It's a William Stevenson song and Jobete copyright so it's absolutely a weird one.

Berry Gordy must have given permission for Laurie to issue it. My guess is that was experimenting. Maybe he thought that a hot New York label might have better promotion in the Pop markets? It was 1962 so still early days and long before boom time.

Either way there's a story there......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Pete, glad you like my beautiful Todd Rundgren UK Bearsville copy in your avatar! It's for sale if ya want it LOL......

Ian D

I've actually got 3 copies of I Saw The Light just in case anything happens to one of them, but only one copy of Hello It's Me. Not got a demo though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert