paup-ine

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know I should of been paying attention, but

are the Funk Brothers the Soul Brothers or are they different group of musicians?

(As in Earl Van Dyke & The Soul Brothers)

Thanks

P :thumbsup:

They are one and the same , Pauline ......

When " All For You " / " Too Many Fish In The Sea " was released in March 1965 ( Tamla Motown TMG 506 ) , EMI considered the word

" Funk " too risque and would offend the public , and changed the credit on the record to Earl Van Dyke & The " Soul " Brothers ........

Malc Burton

THE TORCH REUNION - SATURDAY 24TH OCTOBER

Email today and register for advance tickets or go on line for directions, accomodation, venue photos ad ticket hotline

https://dkof.freewebpages.org/Torch%20reunion/home.html

Ticket reservations - burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk / pauldonnellybp@aol.com

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

They are one and the same , Pauline ......

When " All For You " / " Too Many Fish In The Sea " was released in March 1965 ( Tamla Motown TMG 506 ) , EMI considered the word

" Funk " too risque and would offend the public , and changed the credit on the record to Earl Van Dyke & The " Soul " Brothers ........

Malc Burton

Email today and register for advance tickets or go on line for directions, accomodation, venue photos ad ticket hotline

Not too sure about that Malc. There's at least one 1965 US 45 that bears the name 'Soul Brothers' as opposed to Funk Brothers. I seem to remember that somewhere in an interview Berry Gordy claimed to have instigated the name change as the word 'soul' was becoming 'hipper' with the teenage audience. Knowing Mr Gordy's penchant for being a control freak in regard to his business at that stage it's probable that he had the final word I reckon.

Social source share

Not too sure about that Malc. There's at least one 1965 US 45 that bears the name 'Soul Brothers' as opposed to Funk Brothers. I seem to remember that somewhere in an interview Berry Gordy claimed to have instigated the name change as the word 'soul' was becoming 'hipper' with the teenage audience. Knowing Mr Gordy's penchant for being a control freak in regard to his business at that stage it's probable that he had the final word I reckon.

No , I meant that if referred to here in the UK Dave , that it was EMI who insisted on the change , as they considered the word " Funk " to risque , and would offend the UK public ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

No , I meant that if referred to here in the UK Dave , that it was EMI who insisted on the change , as they considered the word " Funk " to risque , and would offend the UK public ......

Malc Burton

Very interesting and thank you.

P :rolleyes:

PS - very impressed with the Torch reunion website. Well organised by the looks of things.

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Wikipedia gives a good summary of how the Funk Brothers were released as the Soul Brothers

The Funk Brothers shared billing with Van Dyke on some recordings, although they were billed as "Earl Van Dyke & the Soul Brothers", since Motown CEO Berry Gordy, Jr. disliked the word "funk".

Alternatively, the name "Funk Brothers" could have been given to the band ex post facto; the term "funky" as an adjective came to be associated with uptempo, southern-styled soul music in the second half of the 1960's; the term "funk" as a noun is typically associated with uptempo soul music from the 1970's onwards.

It remains to be verified that the Motown session musicians were actually referred to as the Funk Brothers during the 1960's, as this name does not appear on any record label of the time, nor on any interview or article published about Motown in the 1960's.

Funk was a term that jazz players used and it was associated with the smell of sex. It was not a word used in polite middle class (Black or white)

Soul Stomp was released by Earl Van Dyke and The Soul Brothers on Soul in September 1964 and two months later on Stateside.

Social source share

Wikipedia gives a good summary of how the Funk Brothers were released as the Soul Brothers

Funk was a term that jazz players used and it was associated with the smell of sex. It was not a word used in polite middle class (Black or white)

Soul Stomp was released by Earl Van Dyke and The Soul Brothers on Soul in September 1964 and two months later on Stateside.

Thanks FM.

P smile.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert