Are The Flyers Better Than The Venues They Advertise ?

Rob Wigley

Had this coversation today.

Someone was saying how fantastic the Northern flyers are these days, rare record scans in full colour, artists pictures from the 60's but its a bit like an easter egg in some cases, great package with lots of promise then get inside the "egg" and there's F**kall in there !!

Yet even as recently as the mid 90s we still had Crap flyers and great venues !

Anybody else noticed it ?

Bring back crap flyers !

Rob :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Rob, Really funny you saying that because i just found a few of my old Bretby flyers from the first year and they are really basic, A4 photo copied jobs from 1991, still had a few of them framed and put around the record room. As you know Bretby in the early 90s was one of the places to be.....but the flyers look crap!

In another frame i have flyers for 4 events i have Dj`d at in the last couple of years and the flyers look the business.........

Chris

Social source share

Someone was saying how fantastic the Northern flyers are these days, rare record scans in full colour, artists pictures from the 60's but its a bit like an easter egg in some cases, great package with lots of promise then get inside the "egg" and there's F**kall in there !!

Bring back crap flyers !

It is alright going to town and glamming a venue up - i.e. a flyer in keeping with a Turner or Monet masterpiece - but if , at the end of the day , it is a case of " all fur coat and no knickers " , then the effort has sadly been in vain ........

I must make sure that my design of the flyer for THE TORCH REUNION on SATURDAT 24TH OCTOBER at The Ryan Hall , The Boulevard , Tunstall ( 400yards from Hose Street ) Stoke On Trent , is given careful consideration : but as we have sold half the tickets two weeks after announcing the event , and with eight months to go , I might just produce a crap one :ohmy: ......

Malc Burton

THE TORCH REUNION - SATURDAY 24TH OCTOBER

Email today and register for advance tickets or go on line for directions, accomodation, venue photos ad ticket hotline

https://dkof.freewebpages.org/Torch%20reunion/home.html

Ticket reservations - burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk / pauldonnellybp@aol.com

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In the 80s there were some brilliant flyers, all in black and white, the Sensible Soul club one with all the pills and tabs later turned into satellites was one of my favourites :lol: In those days though you didn't have to worry about dragging the 80% of the scene kicking and screaming into your venue to hear something different, everybody was up for listening to cracking newies and underplayed stuff, it was a different scene altogether.

These days i do think flyers reflect how much thought promotors have put into their event. A decent flyer shows care and attention and that they bother about what people think, scribbled flyers that have taken 5 minutes usually indicate an event thought up at the last minute with no preparation or promotion that will probably close after a couple of nights due to lack of advertising and organisation (with everybody wondering what went wrong).

You're right though that flashy flyers don't always mean a great event and vice versa but i do appreciate effort put into flyers as, for me, it shows the promotors are bothered about what they are doing and have respect for their paying audience.

Above all flyers should be accurate and honest imo. :thumbup:

Social source share

Bring back crap flyers !

LOL - absolutely!! :lol:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

post-1887-1235134337_thumb.jpg

i like this :thumbsup: i once did a flyer similar to this but never used it

to me flyer is just a peice of paper advertising a soul night/nighter and nine times out of ten they end up on the floor or soaked in beer on a table :yes:

Social source share

post-1887-1235134337_thumb.jpg

i like this :yes: i once did a flyer similar to this but never used it

to me flyer is just a peice of paper advertising a soul night/nighter and "nine times out of ten they end up on the floor" or soaked in beer on a table :yes:

A bit like Muriel Day should have been wicked.gif ....

before being played :thumbsup: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

post-1887-1235134247_thumb.jpgere you go Malc/ Paul i've done your flyer for you

Rob

It is a good job I know you well , or I would have assumed that by you using your avatar in the the flyer for our promotion , that you were implying a similarity to characters in western films , and I do not mean Native American Indians ..........

Malc Burton

THE TORCH REUNION - SATURDAY 24TH OCTOBER

Email today and register for advance tickets or go on line for directions, accomodation, venue photos ad ticket hotline

https://dkof.freewebpages.org/Torch%20reunion/home.html

Ticket reservations - burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk / pauldonnellybp@aol.com

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

You can't knock people for taking a little pride and time when they are designing their flyers surely?

I once produced an 'anti-flyer' for one of our events and it had the correct effect when handing them out to the masses in a heaving and messy 'Powerhouse' crowd at Southport Weekender.

If you stick a 'normal' flyer into peoples hands, they tend to stick 'em in their arse pocket without further ado.

'Anti-flyers' (so named due to the fact that the imagery upon such is that daft that no one would expect anyone to pay for 10,000 flyers with such an odd image thereupon) have a greater effect.

Here is the image we used on the front of that particular 'anti-flyer' - some of you may recognise Deano (on the right) from the Northern scene over the years:

ems4.jpg

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert