Love that girl

What a voice ...smokey robinson style

Love it

Mand :cheese1:

https://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/str...-love-that-girl

Anyone else love it?

and this one

https://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/str...q-100-yard-dash

there was a thread last week or the week before regarding this guy... nice sounds.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Guy-t92...ael#entry985284

Edited by johnm
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Just listened to a very motownesque sound on Smooth called

Love that girl

What a voice ...smokey robinson style

Love it

Mand :cheese1:

https://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/str...-love-that-girl

Anyone else love it?

and this one

https://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/str...q-100-yard-dash

Bought it as an import end of July 08

Played it to a mate who knows his stuff & he thought it was Mavin Gaye

It's a great album Well worth investing in

Social source share

yes it was on radio 2 this morning ken bruces show, for a minute i thought it was a temptations record i had'nt heard before,funny how every one has a different take on who it sounds like.also on yesterdays show andy bell of erasure told of his liking for northern soul and motown ,from peterboro originally any of you lincoln city best player nicking posh fans know him of old.

kev :ohmy:

Social source share

My view, as printed in Xmas Soul Up North magazine....I'll get me tin hat!!:

Raphael Saadiq Never Give You Up (US Columbia CD/LP "The Way I See It")

Now then, those of you reading this that may be already familiar with this album will surely be thinking "has Randle lost the plot, only singling one cut out from this fine album?" Permit me to explain. It was clear from the late 80's, when Saadiq first appeared as part of Tony, Toni, Tone on Wing/Polydor Records, that he was a cut above and had that extra something. His work since as a solo artist has only served to reinforce that view. Only when he chooses to release this album of 60's influenced productions do certain factions of the UK soul fraternity decide he's worthy.

So what we have is a situation where, for me as a follower of contemporary soul, as good as this album is I'm left disappointed as I would rather hear the man using his talent to take things forward. Yet those that care little for contemporary soul have gone for this. Do these talents have to do this to be accepted by "soul fans"? Answers on a postcard, but I hope it doesn't become the norm. I do fear it that it will though, as recently more artists have released material in this vein. The fact that this has also been released on 7 x 7" singles too says it all to me!! Regression ahead of progression or so it seems. Anyway, to the track in question: it's brilliant, features some bloke Stevie Wonder on harmonica, and is singled out here as the cut that I believe will appeal most to those of similar musical persuasion to I. Check the album out to see if it suits your taste, don't misunderstand me, it is top quality at what it attempts to do.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Now then, those of you reading this that may be already familiar with this album will surely be thinking "has Randle lost the plot, only singling one cut out from this fine album?" Permit me to explain. It was clear from the late 80's, when Saadiq first appeared as part of Tony, Toni, Tone on Wing/Polydor Records, that he was a cut above and had that extra something. His work since as a solo artist has only served to reinforce that view. Only when he chooses to release this album of 60's influenced productions do certain factions of the UK soul fraternity decide he's worthy.

So what we have is a situation where, for me as a follower of contemporary soul, as good as this album is I'm left disappointed as I would rather hear the man using his talent to take things forward. Yet those that care little for contemporary soul have gone for this. Do these talents have to do this to be accepted by "soul fans"? Answers on a postcard, but I hope it doesn't become the norm. I do fear it that it will though, as recently more artists have released material in this vein. The fact that this has also been released on 7 x 7" singles too says it all to me!! Regression ahead of progression or so it seems. Anyway, to the track in question: it's brilliant, features some bloke Stevie Wonder on harmonica, and is singled out here as the cut that I believe will appeal most to those of similar musical persuasion to I. Check the album out to see if it suits your taste, don't misunderstand me, it is top quality at what it attempts to do.

Cheers,

Mark R

I take your point but from my own pesonal view i just like it & maybe he just wanted to make this album at this time & it'll be something a lot different next time.

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

I think if there was ever any one simple definitive statement to be made about it all, the scene, genres, style, format etc. etc., that can't really be argued with, that would be it. :thumbsup:

Cheers! Just wish people would have open ears & not closed minds

Social source share

Gail was harping on about this the other day, will have to check it out when I get home, ive been familiar with his music for awhile but not heard this one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

a mate give me a copy at soul in the sun Keep marching sounds good to me,Im not a big joss stone fan but think the track by here is the best shes done ?

Social source share

a mate give me a copy at soul in the sun Keep marching sounds good to me,Im not a big joss stone fan but think the track by here is the best shes done ?

Sorry soulboy ...you've lost me here ...

What has joss stone to do with Rapahel sadiq ...Am I missing something?

Cheers Mand :thumbup:

Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

Mark, would you say that "soulful house" is "taking things forward" ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Cheers Mand thumbsup.gif

I think Raphael produced some stuff for Joss and a few others

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Cheers Mand thumbsup.gif

just one kiss away on the cd 'the way i i see it' track 5 brill joss stone

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

Guest soulboy

Cheers Mand thumbsup.gif

its on you tube mand not to sure how you put it on here joss stone just on kiss cheers

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

just one kiss away on the cd 'the way i i see it' track 5 brill joss stone

Oh thanks for clearing that up

I can't say I like Joss Stone ..bought her first cd a while back played once and .......dunno where it is now

Too much hype about her voice ..Amy Wino's got a great voice but its wasted on her!

I will go seek out track 5 and see whats its about......well I did and Im still not liking her voice he should have done it solo

Cheers Mand :thumbsup:

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest soulboy

Oh thanks for clearing that up

I can't say I like Joss Stone ..bought her first cd a while back played once and .......dunno where it is now

Too much hype about her voice ..Amy Wino's got a great voice but its wasted on her!

I will go seek out track 5 and see whats its about......well I did and Im still not liking her voice he should have done it solo

Cheers Mand :D

your right mand not a big fan my self like amy the bonus cd on back to black is good like the reggae stuff by her such a lot of talent wasted ,mind you dont belive all you read in the s**t papers she looks to me like she is sorting herself out lets hope so ,take care soulboy

Social source share

your right mand not a big fan my self like amy the bonus cd on back to black is good like the reggae stuff by her such a lot of talent wasted ,mind you dont belive all you read in the s**t papers she looks to me like she is sorting herself out lets hope so ,take care soulboy

Soulboy ...what gets me about Wino is how can anyone respect someone who has no repsect for themselves?

I like a bit o reggae grew up listening to youth club stuff like big 7 etc etc

Will deffo chase up Rapaels cd tho when Im in town next

Mand :D

Social source share

Well I went and bought it ...while I was there (HMV) had quite a few motown CDs on display (due to 50 years of)

SO I bought Tamala Motown big hits and hard to find classics

and track 5 on volume 1

Ive passed this way before ...Jimmy Ruffin ...don't think Ive ever heard this and its beautiful

they were 4 quid each volume

BARGAIN!!!!

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Well I went and bought it ...while I was there (HMV) had quite a few motown CDs on display (due to 50 years of)

SO I bought Tamala Motown big hits and hard to find classics

and track 5 on volume 1

Ive passed this way before ...Jimmy Ruffin ...don't think Ive ever heard this and its beautiful

they were 4 quid each volume

BARGAIN!!!!

Mand :unsure:

jimmy ruffin anthology is real good one of the best cds iv got great also look out for soul ecstasy thats a new one thats all right, more modern stuff like evening of love 'hope its of help' soul boy

Social source share

jimmy ruffin anthology is real good one of the best cds iv got great also look out for soul ecstasy thats a new one thats all right, more modern stuff like evening of love 'hope its of help' soul boy

Soul.boy

Im not a modern fan! LOL...well not really ....unless it ticks the boxes and sounds like classic n/s or motown

there are a couple of tracks Im dont like on RS cd ...whats with the crappy Jay Zee rapping track YUK!!!!!!

Press the skip button :lol:

Social source share

Well I went and bought it ...while I was there (HMV) had quite a few motown CDs on display (due to 50 years of)....... they were 4 quid each volume BARGAIN!!!!

Mand :lol:

Yes, likewise down here; in HMV, in Maidstone I got a TMG 'Big Hits and Hard to finds..' CD, and a few of the Talcum Soul Comps, Al Green, a 70s NS Comp, etc, etc...

concerning the: The Realm feat. Tony Momrelle - Time (Realm Vocal Mix)

Nice sound, in the right venue, though (as someone who likes lots of different genres, 60s, Modern, some R&B, etc); anybody heard the 'Soulshaker Vol 5' CD?

CS331689-02A.jpg

some good stuff on here

Social source share

Yes, likewise down here; in HMV, in Maidstone I got a TMG 'Big Hits and Hard to finds..' CD, and a few of the Talcum Soul Comps, Al Green, a 70s NS Comp, etc, etc...

concerning the: The Realm feat. Tony Momrelle - Time (Realm Vocal Mix)

Nice sound, in the right venue, though (as someone who likes lots of different genres, 60s, Modern, some R&B, etc); anybody heard the 'Soulshaker Vol 5' CD?

CS331689-02A.jpg

some good stuff on here

keep meaning to pick up Talcum soul

But my old man says havent you got enough cds for the "soul kitchen" LOL laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert