Ady Croasdell

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

the autographs "love's gonna do you in" has nothing to do with bobbi rowe "why'd you put me on" if that's what you're asking, they're totally separate tracks. Both are great records though.

just to clarify, by "separate tracks", I mean totally unrelated songs

Social source share

Really, they sound very white to me, where did you get that fact from Bob?

it's listed that way in the soul harmony singles book and it sounds exactly like don julian lead with the larks to me and not white. I guess that book and my ears could be wrong, I don't know what the source was for the book. The larks did record under other names -- e.g. the pretenders.

Social source share

it's listed that way in the soul harmony singles book and it sounds exactly like don julian lead with the larks to me and not white. I guess that book and my ears could be wrong, I don't know what the source was for the book. The larks did record under other names -- e.g. the pretenders.

Thanks I'll give it another listen with that suggestion.

Social source share

I can see why on a cursory listen somebody thought the two songs were similar but I agree that they aren't. Lots of LA group's were trying to be the Imps not just the Larks.

Thats's a my fault baby!, the chord progressions are similar, I guess thats were I got it from, unless I can find that old tape from Tim Ash and it wasn't the Autographs...

Social source share

GarethX, Whaddya reckon to Bobbi Row being Don Julian and the Larks? i know you've got a copy.

Hi Ady

Always suspected they might be Don Julian and the Larks trying to cash in on the British Beat boom by calling themselves The English Men and recording in a dreamy pop harmony ballad style. The phrasing of the vocals and certain idioms used in the lyrics betray them as 100% black Americans I think.

For what it's worth I think this is a charming record for all its idiosyncracies: it's been in my hypothetical sales box for a long time, but on the occasions I play it I always think "that's actually really good" and decide to keep it.

A few years ago John Manship's site listed the Bobbi Row 45 on another label, Safe, for £250.00; I wonder if anyone has a copy on that logo or whether it was just a typo?

Social source share

The Safe release is n his latest guide so it must have come out on one of DJ's little occasional label.

Thanks

arranged by Art Write, Arthur Wright I presume

post-4298-1234792815_thumb.jpg

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Hi Ady

Always suspected they might be Don Julian and the Larks trying to cash in on the British Beat boom by calling themselves The English Men and recording in a dreamy pop harmony ballad style. The phrasing of the vocals and certain idioms used in the lyrics betray them as 100% black Americans I think.

For what it's worth I think this is a charming record for all its idiosyncracies: it's been in my hypothetical sales box for a long time, but on the occasions I play it I always think "that's actually really good" and decide to keep it.

A few years ago John Manship's site listed the Bobbi Row 45 on another label, Safe, for £250.00; I wonder if anyone has a copy on that logo or whether it was just a typo?

I have at least one other larks money 45 on safe. I have seen the bobbi row on safe before (although John posted it below).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert