Rare Soul Is Art

Here is an extract from a feature I wrote in today's Times in Scotland (Ecosse). Its a new twist on Frank Wilson saga, and came about after the editor had attended a soul night at the Woodside in Glasgow, when Adny Dyson and Chalky were at the decks. She asked me to make sense of the fuss about Frank Wilson with a specifically Scottish angle. So here it it. (Chalky I owe you an agent's fee)

Art and Soul ....."Both are driven by collectors who are fixated by rarity, authenticity and the provenance of their collections. So far both have also resisted the pressure of recession and the value of collections has either increased or held strong. Words such as "rare", "original" and "limited edition" exist in both communities. Respected dealers exist in both worlds and auctions are a familiar mode of transaction. Art and soul share a culture where fakes, bootlegs and shady attempts to replicate the look of original works are not uncommon.

Here is the full article. Those that think it sometimes tips towards pretension should remember that I went to the Mecca a lot.

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...icle5732973.ece

Cheers Stuart Cosgrove

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here is an extract from a feature I wrote in today's Times in Scotland (Ecosse). Its a new twist on Frank Wilson saga, and came about after the editor had attended a soul night at the Woodside in Glasgow, when Adny Dyson and Chalky were at the decks. She asked me to make sense of the fuss about Frank Wilson with a specifically Scottish angle. So here it it. (Chalky I owe you an agent's fee)

Art and Soul ....."Both are driven by collectors who are fixated by rarity, authenticity and the provenance of their collections. So far both have also resisted the pressure of recession and the value of collections has either increased or held strong. Words such as "rare", "original" and "limited edition" exist in both communities. Respected dealers exist in both worlds and auctions are a familiar mode of transaction. Art and soul share a culture where fakes, bootlegs and shady attempts to replicate the look of original works are not uncommon.

Here is the full article. Those that think it sometimes tips towards pretension should remember that I went to the Mecca a lot.

Cheers Stuart Cosgrove

It was only a matter of time before 'music as art' moved into soul. People with no abiding interest in a whole musical genre have been buying things like unplayed Elvis Presley Sun 45s and stupendously rare doo wop items for years, and hoarding them without any intent of ever playing them. I can't imagine that the future owner of Soul 35019 will be in any rush to play it, whoever he or she may be.

BTW I'm also not convinced that it's Kenny's (or Tim's or Mr. Gordy's) copy that is about to come up for sale...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Cheers Stuart Cosgrove

Brilliant that Stuart, a most well thought out and enjoyable read indeed.

Thanks for posting.

Denbo.

Social source share

Cheers Stuart Cosgrove

The other club that Fraser and I had an interest in was also featured in the Times this time The New York Times.

"Our favorite spot, over all, was the Riverside Club, at 33 Fox Street, (44-141) 248-3144, a barnlike hall that is one of Glasgow's oldest music venues."

Social source share

I do hope not.

I don't do "Art". Before closing the front door on leaving the house I always check there's no one lurking armed with the jawbone of an ass.

It always suggests to me clinical museums and sparsely attended galleries. Paxman last night related the tale of William Powell Frith's "Epsom" painting which on a tour of the UK in 1858 had to be protected against the crowds wishing to view by stout railings and a policeman. As a product of it's time it generated great interest although, if by some quirk in the space/time continium, next door were showing "Jurassic Park" I can confidently assert there would have been few takers.

Today it's in the Tate with a second version in Manchester and I'd guess most of us don't have it's viewing on our list of things to do. What was once something fresh and new and among the best "entertainment" that the age could offer is now the preserve of the curators, custodians and archivists with minimal appeal to the population at large.

Wouldn't really like the thought of Northern going the same way. The music and the following both arose from a certain point in time which with the passing of the years means less and less to those who came after. To preserve it artificially by elevating it to an art form worthy of retention for posterity ultimately confines it to the realm of dry and dusty scholarship where education replaces entertainment.

See obsession with minutae of OVO!!!

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert