Coveted Tracks You'll Probably Never Own On Original 45

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The appearance of another Chubby Checker "You Just Don't Know" on eBay has reminded me once again of how much I still love the 'A' side "Two Hearts Make One Love", and how I will probably never own a US or UK original because it's coupled with a money tune that never seems to come down in price. (I do have a London reissue demo, but it's not the same thing, is it?).

Struck me that "Coveted Tracks You'll Never Own Because They Have A Money Tune On The Other Side" might make for an enjoyable thread...

...so Chubby's my two penn'orth for starters - anymore for anymore?

Remember, it's a thread for 'tracks that are coupled to money records', not for the 'money records' themselves...

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I agree about Chubby Checker Tony, one of my all time faves, I paid 10p for my 1st British copy at Burnley Record Exchange way back when 10p was feck all :D .....sold it on for a fiver, how shrewd was I :lol:

30 yrs later I got another one for £90, inflations a bitch aint it? :wub:

I would never ever part with it now!

I did take a punt on Eddie Parker last year on Manch`s auction but got gazumped by £11 at the last minute ohmy.gif

Thats my holy grail!....... that wont come my way ever again.

Good thread mate :thumbsup:

:D

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The appearance of another Chubby Checker "You Just Don't Know" on eBay has reminded me once again of how much I still love the 'A' side "Two Hearts Make One Love", and how I will probably never own a US or UK original because it's coupled with a money tune that never seems to come down in price. (I do have a London reissue demo, but it's not the same thing, is it?).

Struck me that "Coveted Tracks You'll Never Own Because They Have A Money Tune On The Other Side" might make for an enjoyable thread...

...so Chubby's my two penn'orth for starters - anymore for anymore?

Remember, it's a thread for 'tracks that are coupled to money records', not for the 'money records' themselves...

districts - like clouds - nile (killer track)

lovers - one way to love - frantic

tons of other sweet soul records that are way better than the northern b-side in my opinion.

Social source share

I'll probably never own an original of Betty Fikes and The Passions sublime I Can't Lie To My Heart on Southbound because of the one-time popularity of their pretty ordinary version of "Prove It To Me". Strangely enough writer Dan Brantley's own version of (You've Got To) Prove It To Me on Federal is truly excellent.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Icemen on Ole-9: never cared for the dance side, but the midtempo side, It's Gonna Take A Lot To Bring Me Back is as good a soul record as any laid down in a New York studio in the 1960s; sheer brilliance.

Couldn't agree more, Gareth - a work of art, coupled to a waste of space!

At least I have one of these in VG. Not that I'll ever be able to afford to upgrade it...

Social source share

Couldn't agree more, Gareth - a work of art, coupled to a waste of space!

At least I have one of these in VG. Not that I'll ever be able to afford to upgrade it...

yeah, but you can afford the manhattans version which is better in my opinion. wish I had the icemen 45 though.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

yeah, but you can afford the manhattans version which is better in my opinion. wish I had the icemen 45 though.

Mine was a free gift from one I. Levine in 1976, although I doubt that he'll remember...

I do own and love the Manhattans version (what's not to love!), but the Icemen take the song to the next level for me. I like their "(My Girl) She's A Fox" on Samar even better than the Ole-9 45, too. Such great harmonies...

Social source share

Ray Frazier 'loneliness',

never will own this litte gem due to the funk on t'other. unsure.gif

Tears in my eyes

Jim :lol:

Funk fans offload this record from time to time as I Who Have Nothing is seen as overplayed old hat (albeit a classic) on that scene. The current high price is probably due to soulies picking up on the Loneliness side of the record. A gem indeed.

Social source share

My copy of Ronnie McNeir 'Sitting in My Class' (Deto DS 2878) has a slight click in the first 45 secs. It drives me mad. But the B side 'Isn't She a Pretty Girl is flawless and mint, so when I get depressed by the A side I reassure myself that the B side is better. So I do own it but if I had to replace it for mint-copy then I'm not sure I would (or easily could).

Social source share

I will not be buying a copy of Liz Verdi's fantastic "You Let Him Get Away" in a hurry... unless it's a copy where the other side ("Think It Over And Be Sure") is unplayable I guess... :)

Social source share

Have you seen the state of the one on Ebay though -a UK demo in shocking condition, there is hardly and print left on the You Just Don't Know side. You might as well get a London copy or a bootleg and rub the label off, because that one on ebay is worthless.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

post-1893-1234705465_thumb.jpg

......what makes it even more of an annoyance to me that I'll never own one of these is that I've never been that crazy about "You Just Don't Know"...

The 'no label' copy on eBay is already up to £104.00, and there's a week to go. More money than sense, some people...

Actually I've thought of another record that I'll never own for the 'money record' reasons - Connie Stevens' "Keep Growing Strong" (the a side of 'Tick Tock'). I know it's not as expensive as some of the other records mentioned here, but it's still more expensive than I would want to pay for a pretty pop ballad. There are times when you could really use a double 'a' sided demo of something...

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

My copy of Ronnie McNeir 'Sitting in My Class' (Deto DS 2878) has a slight click in the first 45 secs. It drives me mad. But the B side 'Isn't She a Pretty Girl is flawless and mint, so when I get depressed by the A side I reassure myself that the B side is better. So I do own it but if I had to replace it for mint-copy then I'm not sure I would (or easily could).

I love that record, i first heard it on a tape that the lovely Pete S gave me. I doubt i'll ever own anything already mentioned (to be fair i didn't know all of them so i can't get too upset about it! :cheese1: ) i console myself with the fact that my £5-£50 records are my pride & joy! :D

Social source share

Never understood why The Perfections A-side on Big B is so expensive cos I always thought it was a bit weak. The flip 'Baby Don't You Go' is my favourite harmony record ever. But at nearly £500+ it's way out of mine for the moment. :thumbup:

baby don't you go is the a-side and it says so on the record. i got flamed by northern soul-ers on here before for saying so.

have you heard fred moss on vanessa? I think it's the same group (definitely same lead) and is also an amazing sweet soul cut.

Social source share

baby don't you go is the a-side and it says so on the record. i got flamed by northern soul-ers on here before for saying so.

have you heard fred moss on vanessa? I think it's the same group (definitely same lead) and is also an amazing sweet soul cut.

I certainly won't flame you on it! But it's still the other side that makes it the big money tune, no?

I'd love to hear that boba if you have an audio file? Was Fred Moss the lead on The Perfections do you know? Would love to know more about them. I've seen many other records listed by them on Drive, Twinight, Calgar and Tri-City but not sure whether it's the same group. Sure they recorded on Jubilee as 'And The Sun Went Down sounds like the same lead also.

Cheers

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert