Why Are Soul Venues Shutting Down?

But Tim Smithers is a mod and knows nothing about Northern Soul :D:lol:

Sorry Tim :D

I was talking to Tim about this on Saturday and he is really looking forward to it but i think they sway of sexy young Swedish Totti is a major factor :)

good luck and Lock up your daughters :cheese1:

Boy is he gonna be gutted, Oslo's in Norway! :D I'm the bloke putting the two nights on that Callum is talking about. Our first Klubb Magnus had 20 or so people in, after 5 we were getting 200+, which we do every month. We used to put posters and flyers in record shops, clothes shops, bars ect but we don't bother with that any more. Young people wanna go out don't they? Their looking for a night of good dance music which 60's soul, R&B and boogaloo is. They also want to dance in a club not a function room. We provide both good nightclub venues and tunes, do that and you'll get kids in and really digging it. We started another night in a bigger venue because people are Q in at 1am still waiting for someone to come out before they can get in! There is no preconception of a soulie or mod here which i think helps, I mean whats more odd or square than some 40+ bloke in flares and a vest? Although I think mods look pretty cool. :D The other great thing about our nights here is theres nobody carping on about oldies v's newies. Its all just great dance music at the end of the day. We play a good mix of each with R&B and a smudge of latin.

Having been to loads of great nighters in the 80's in the Uk (first one was Leicester Oddfellows) I'd agree that the Uk scene has gone stale, much like the mod scene. Give me a club full of 300 under 30's going ape any day. When was the last time you were in a club with everyone clapping and cheering after the last tune? If you want a banging club you've got to get the kids into it, no good preaching to the converted. Get your flyers and posters in places where younger folks shop/drink. Perhaps the question is; do you want your soul night like that? :D I do, so it suits, even if I do feel like a propper old bastard at 43. sad.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 149
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mvb031259

the "oldies crowd" as you put don't populate "soul source" so much anymore...always getting slagged off by the "hip n' modern crowd"...actually not much of a crowd really...and never will be, and thats what the truth is.... that sort of average second rate poo will never be as popular...ever, period... :D (odd few are ok though? :ohmy: )

as for venues shutting down ? has it ever changed ?....one closes another opens, apart from councils or club owners stopping nites, it seems to me as soon as the dance floor goes empty..(and guess why ? )...the punters will drift away...seen it happen a few times round here, that does not go to say the dark side does not have a place or people wanting to listen, just not at "northern nites"....unless they have a seperate room big enough for the " up front hip crowd"...

i guess the "oldies are dead" crys will be going up now... so pop to stoke next week, ( come n' say hello too) or the shed in Notts tonight, or Nuneton saturday (wont be there cos im not well ...cough, splutter )... now check it's pulse... it will not be weak i can assure you :thumbsup:

pete ,.....defender of the faith, baggie trousers n' all that !

Have only been on the soul scene for a couple of years(though i've always loved the music) but i agree 100% with ya. My points are:... 1. It seems to me on the whole the events closing are the ones which are trying to "Save the soul scene" by playing modern stuff in too big venues and wonder why they loose money?...2. How well does across the board work? I find it frustrating listening to different types of music to get to one record i like then to get changed again, and so do a lot of mates we attend with....3 I don't know but are some of the DJ's fed up themselves of playing "Oldies" then they must decide their motives, profit/break even or the love of different music, and hire the right size smaller venues and play the modern stuff....4. Just enjoy the scene as it is IMO it will die naturally with those who started and enjoyed it in the early years,i don't think there will ever be enough converts to sustain it at the level it is at. Its oldies all the way for me, and we hear lots of quality under played stuff along with the classics at the events we go to,and they are nearly always full e.g Nuneaton last week, Wheel the week before and so on. Will get up to your venue in Notts one of these days. :yes: Looking forward to being at Kings Hall soaking up the atmosphere enjoying dancing and watching others dancing as if they were 16 again, thats what it's about for me, at the end of the day what ever floats your boat just enjoy it for yourselves with your mates around ya thumbup.gif:D

Social source share

Trouble is Len the Northern Soul Scene just aint cool anymore ...the music is ,but a bunch of forty up people in a room dancing just aint cool to people half their age...whats left is a pastime for older people....nothing wrong with that in its self...but on the whole younger people are just not gonna buy it.

Also to many splits an factions within whats left of the scene , seems that every other week someone is starting a night ...exclaiming its "quality" not the same ole or at the other end of the scale "guaranteed floor fillers allnight" etc.....then a lot are falling flat on their face, guess why cos there are too many doing just the same already......counting the days now really! :g: ....are you depressed yet mate :thumbsup:

Hi mate! Some good points but have to disagree on the 'cool for the youngsters' point. The quality of the music will always interest new listeners to the scene. It's up to the promoters to keep it interesting for new and old alike. You should know, look how many younger faces keep appearing at the Pembo!

The events that struggle are nearly always a combination of,

Poor venue.

Bad organisation re flyers and publicity etc.

Crap sound system.

Poor quality DJ's.

Unimaginative music policy

Over saturated area. (most of country)

The other problem is often the management at venues. We have encountered this only too often, dealing with power crazed petty officials and spotty kids who display an amazing inconsistency and incompetence. A perfectly good event gets ruined as a result. Or venues being closed down and sold off for development or change of use. Such a shame for hard working promoters who have put in years of effort building reputations etc. What amazes me though, is how when one shuts about 3 others spring up in its place.

Not depressing really as the good events will hopefully keep the flag flying high until long after we've shuffled off the dance-floor for the last time :lol: .

Social source share

The returnees have become bored / are dying off.

Simple as.

:thumbsup:

most of my mates that got me into the scene about 5 years ago harldy ever go out anymore and we used to go out together nearly every week and at times there could be as many as 12 of us, they like what they know and stick to that and when they do go out which aint very often they just want to have a good night even though they are kind of bored with some stuff now but dont go out enough to get used to newer sounds to them,

At first it was the be all and end all but now its when and if they can be asked :g:

Social source share

now its when and if they can be asked :g:

I ask myself the same question every week :lol: And the answer is always the same Oh go on then and thats after 33 years of nighters :lol:

Steve

Social source share

I noticed that Awsworth was mentioned earlier, in fact it was a couple of mates of mine running it, Soul Sam (Moore) and Paul Gatley, I guested there once and really enjoyed it, but, for whatever reason the numbers started to drop, and the rest is history, along with The Awsworth Soul Club.

From my own point of view, this might have been for a couple of reasons, (this isnt aimed solely at Awsworth btw) firstly the PA kit sounds bloody awful a lot of the time, dont the guys in charge of the kit know what EQ is? It was just all mid range that hurt your ears, no real bass, no treble to hear hi hats and "esses" in vocals.

And, possibly by the "enthusiast" dj's who have a great record collection worth millions, but wouldnt make it as actual DJ's anywhere outside of Northern soul. They dont know how to use the mic, have little or no idea about how to cue up a track, their idea is just stick the arm over the run in track of a song, and let it just get to where the music starts......eventually, giving the crowd time to wander off the floor.

One guy I witnessed would just say "Marvin Gaye" when he played a Marvin song......then it would be.............Jerry Butler....obviously for a Jerry T track...........but that was it, the sole extent of his chat! Dont get me wrong, I certainly dont over use the mic, but that was taking minimalism to the extreme!

It could also be, as someone else suggested, the uber rare tracks that put people off, its good to hear a track that you havent heard before, but an awful lot of folk still like to hear the songs they danced to 20/30/40 years ago.

And to show you that new venues are opening, despite some closing, another night has been added to The Westgate Suites in Long Eaton.

Its on the 2nd Saturday of the month, the line up includes Kev Roberts, Sam Moore (soul Sam) Nige Brown, and John Poole. Guests include ( across the months) Dave Evison, Ginger Taylor, Colin Curtis, and me in November.

This time (as compared to the gig on the last Friday in the month) the main room hosts the Northern stuff.

There is also a new night starting a bit further north in the Notts area, it will be on a Saturday, more details later!

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

the "oldies crowd" as you put don't populate "soul source" so much anymore...

OOOooo but Casper they do populate Soul Source in large numbers, I've seen 'em :ohmy: They are quite active when it comes to bumping an event up, but they go into hibernation when it comes to a Lookback and playlists :ohmy: The odd one or two manage 'Great Night Mate' and that's your lot! How come playlists are few and far between when it's an Oldies orientated nights lookback?

Maybe if a few more of us knew what was being played we might even toddle along one night, I don't mind a night of good oldies.

I'll get me coat................

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Why are the two mutually exclusive?

I love going to Stoke once in a while and I also love lifeline and other do's that play more of the lesser played/known stuff.

I love both, the feeling you get when you hear a great tune for the first time and the feeling you get dancing to an old favourite that you know word perfect.

Surely Im not alone.

What is important is that the event 'does what it says on the tin' So you know what to expect.

Helen

xxxx

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Have only been on the soul scene for a couple of years(though i've always loved the music) but i agree 100% with ya. My points are:... 1. It seems to me on the whole the events closing are the ones which are trying to "Save the soul scene" by playing modern stuff in too big venues and wonder why they loose money?...2. How well does across the board work? I find it frustrating listening to different types of music to get to one record i like then to get changed again, and so do a lot of mates we attend with....3 I don't know but are some of the DJ's fed up themselves of playing "Oldies" then they must decide their motives, profit/break even or the love of different music, and hire the right size smaller venues and play the modern stuff....4. Just enjoy the scene as it is IMO it will die naturally with those who started and enjoyed it in the early years,i don't think there will ever be enough converts to sustain it at the level it is at. Its oldies all the way for me, and we hear lots of quality under played stuff along with the classics at the events we go to,and they are nearly always full e.g Nuneaton last week, Wheel the week before and so on. Will get up to your venue in Notts one of these days. :ohmy: Looking forward to being at Kings Hall soaking up the atmosphere enjoying dancing and watching others dancing as if they were 16 again, thats what it's about for me, at the end of the day what ever floats your boat just enjoy it for yourselves with your mates around ya :ohmy::ohmy:

What I've never got my head around is that in the late 60s/early 70s we couldn't get enough of anything previously unheard. We craved to hear something new, week in, week out. And all of that was 'modern' at the time.

And 40 years on I continue to thirst to hear something 'new', regardless of whether it's 60s, 70s, 80, 90s.......... I don't want to lose that feeling of 'wow - what's this?'.

Why is it that so many ears that were so open many years ago now are so shut? Please, in all seriousness, (without 'fly' comment) can someone explain what is it that prevents a large number of 'soul afficionados' being prepared to objectively listen, consider and accept anything 'new' (see my definition above).

I continue to want to keep moving forward, whilst at the same time acknowledging the roots of the music we grew up with, because that's where I see the future and what to me keeps it all alive.

Yes, I have a preference for crossover and modern, but that does not close my ears to other genres and eras. You can be an avid fan of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton etc, etc, but surely that doesn't prevent you appreciating the silky skills of a Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and so on ...... or does it?

Brian :ohmy:

Social source share

What I've never got my head around is that in the late 60s/early 70s we couldn't get enough of anything previously unheard. We craved to hear something new, week in, week out. And all of that was 'modern' at the time.

And 40 years on I continue to thirst to hear something 'new', regardless of whether it's 60s, 70s, 80, 90s.......... I don't want to lose that feeling of 'wow - what's this?'.

Couldn't agree more Brian, it's what keeps me going out.

The early soul/RnB rooms are constantly coming up with the goods in this respect which makes the genre so exciting for me. If I couldn't hear something new I just wouldn't bother.

Social source share

Why is it that so many ears that were so open many years ago now are so shut? Please, in all seriousness, (without 'fly' comment) can someone explain what is it that prevents a large number of 'soul afficionados' being prepared to objectively listen, consider and accept anything 'new' (see my definition above).

I continue to want to keep moving forward, whilst at the same time acknowledging the roots of the music we grew up with, because that's where I see the future and what to me keeps it all alive.

Yes, I have a preference for crossover and modern, but that does not close my ears to other genres and eras. You can be an avid fan of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton etc, etc, but surely that doesn't prevent you appreciating the silky skills of a Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and so on ...... or does it?

Brian :ohmy:

I think the majority ( and let's not kid ourselves...it is the majority unfortunately) just reach a certain 'comfort zone' and are more than happy with their lot, so to speak.

It bemuses me however, when these people slate off Rare Soul, unknown tracks etc...because they MUST have originally been listening to, dancing to, and happily accepting unknown, obscure soul records.

Why they feel the need to critisize people still chasing those new sounds for doing something they must have done themselves in the past is a bit of a mindfcuk.

Bizzare really...... :ohmy:

Johnny Beggs told me that a well known Oldies DJ used to critisize a lot of the stuff played at the Raven Hotel in Whitchurch many years back.....the same DJ recently mentioned to Beggsy that all those tunes he used to moan about are now big well known classics, many classed as oldies.......ironic really :ohmy:

Social source share

Brian :thumbsup:

thats because most of it does not have the same sound and feel.... it just does not cut it..... period !

pete

Social source share

OOOooo but Casper they do populate Soul Source in large numbers, I've seen 'em :D They are quite active when it comes to bumping an event up, but they go into hibernation when it comes to a Lookback and playlists :ohmy: The odd one or two manage 'Great Night Mate' and that's your lot! How come playlists are few and far between when it's an Oldies orientated nights lookback?

Maybe if a few more of us knew what was being played we might even toddle along one night, I don't mind a night of good oldies.

thats cos we are all too knackerd from dancing and drinking water we have smuggled in to be botherd writing up on what you all know was a brill nite anyway...guess we dont need to "big up" the nites eh ? :thumbsup:

pete

Social source share

Back in the day when dinosaurs walked the earth and tinternet wasnt around venues used to stand or fall by word of mouth the only info you got otherwise was Frank Elsons collumn in Blues& Soul plus we were all a lot younger and enthusiastic.

Now with the internet and forums we tend to dissect every little detail and if one person says something negative it puts lots of others off .

As for oldies v modern good soul music is good soul music whatever era its from :thumbsup:

Social source share

OOOooo but Casper they do populate Soul Source in large numbers, I've seen 'em :ohmy: They are quite active when it comes to bumping an event up, but they go into hibernation when it comes to a Lookback and playlists :thumbsup: The odd one or two manage 'Great Night Mate' and that's your lot! How come playlists are few and far between when it's an Oldies orientated nights lookback?

Keep your coat on FB, I asked this a while back; I'd like to see some playlists to see if they're worth a visit but the Nostalgia Scene events don't do post em, according to some because they think we'll rip the pi$$.

Social source share

Why are the two mutually exclusive?

I love going to Stoke once in a while and I also love lifeline and other do's that play more of the lesser played/known stuff.

I love both, the feeling you get when you hear a great tune for the first time and the feeling you get dancing to an old favourite that you know word perfect.

Surely Im not alone.

What is important is that the event 'does what it says on the tin' So you know what to expect.

Helen

xxxx

IMO opinion they're not, however some only want to relive a small timeframe of the scenes past, listen to the same 100 records and slag off anything newly discovered (e.g. post 1978 laugh.gif ) - which I just cannot get my swede around. I term this scene the Nostalgia Crowd rathar than the oldies scene - the oldies fans I know have a wider appreciation of oldies and not that so small sample of Northern Soul.

Social source share

IMO opinion they're not, however some only want to relive a small timeframe of the scenes past, listen to the same 100 records and slag off anything newly discovered (e.g. post 1978 laugh.gif ) - which I just cannot get my swede around. I term this scene the Nostalgia Crowd rathar than the oldies scene - the oldies fans I know have a wider appreciation of oldies and not that so small sample of Northern Soul.

To be fair, it works both ways. There is suspicion and dismissal on both sides - your own term (I use 'Nostalgia Mob'; cf. also 'chinstrokers', 'elitists', 'sheep', 'handbaggers', etc. etc.) is evidence of that.

My Nostalgia Mob mates disapprove of Bidds, and I'm sneered at by my Prog Rock pals when I mix it with the handbaggers at WestGate. Doesn't phase me. Different events have different atmospheres; it's not purely about the music.

Back on topic, is there any evidence that there are a lot shutting down (and not being succeeded by another event nearby)?

Social source share

Guest mvb031259

Guess you have a good point, but could it be the fact that people want to be taken back to those heady days of the 60's and 70's? :thumbup: ..... For me personally the beat of the modern stuff does nothing, but i understand that's just a personal opinion and a lot of people enjoy it. There's room for everyone on this scene but my main point why venues are closing down is pushing too much new stuff in too big a room, the ideal is two room venues perhaps then it will open a few more ears but sadly not mine..... I also think there's a lot of underplayed even some unheard oldies out there with that fantastic northern beat! .....I'm gonna finish by setting the cat amongst the pigeons, by saying with the cost of vinyl is it time for some DJ's to start playing off CD caus how many times have we made a request for the DJ to say wish i'd got it mate but it would set me back so many hundred nicker, after all a lot of us do it at home :pirate:

Social source share

To be fair, it works both ways. There is suspicion and dismissal on both sides - your own term (I use 'Nostalgia Mob'; cf. also 'chinstrokers', 'elitists', 'sheep', 'handbaggers', etc. etc.) is evidence of that.

My Nostalgia Mob mates disapprove of Bidds, and I'm sneered at by my Prog Rock pals when I mix it with the handbaggers at WestGate. Doesn't phase me. Different events have different atmospheres; it's not purely about the music.

Back on topic, is there any evidence that there are a lot shutting down (and not being succeeded by another event nearby)?

Is the term Nostalgia Scene (a term coined by Kev Roberts to describe his target audience, posted here on SS) equivalent to calling a soul fan a handbagger or chinstroker? Not in my book, the latter two are a tad insulting do you not think? Oh and where did I say mob?

Nostalgia Crowd is a term that I think describes quite well a segment of the Northern Soul scene i.e those who, in the main, want to listen to a very limited number of oldies only and look back and relive to what is termed by some as the Golden Years. Many of which dress in the gear from a very limited time frame in the scenes history (baggies, vests, them there big skirts etc). This doesn't lump all oldies fans, many of my muckers into oldies like Northern way beyond the top 500.

Do your Prog Rock mates like Styx :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbup: It's a hard one this isn't it, I myself can't understand people not wanting to find & hear stuff that they haven't already heard. I put it like that, rather than 'new stuff' because personally I didn't get in as deep as I would have liked first time around & so there are still plenty of things to eek out of my favored genre, & also the even older R&B stuff that now floats my boat a bit.

I think you are probably lucky that your tastes spread across such a wide spectrum.....but I think in the majority of cases it tends to be that the styles are too different...hence the two tier scene.

That said, I still find it hard to understand the people who only dance to stuff they know....it really shocked me when I attended my first night back...It was just weird seeing the floor full, then next record empty...then next one full etc....yet the beat was the same & each record was in the same style & seemed just as good.

All I could remember from back was...standing on the side open mouthed for an hour or so...then finally plucking up courage to enter the dance floor...& staying there till you were tired :lamsey: Half the time I didn't know what the record was anyhow ! ... then came the trying to remember which you really liked & the thousand questions to someone more knowledgable...what was this ?...what was that ?

Perhaps it is just an age thing ? On the dancing side, I suppose there is now only enough energy to dance to a few tunes rather than all of them on a night....& in general terms if you look across our age group through the generations there is a tendency to stop & stay in that zone that brings back the good memories of being young. As in :- our parents at this age were attending things like Mersey beat group comeback tours & mainstream 60's nights....slightly before that..Rock & Roll nights...& the generation before that.. ballroom dancing etc. ?

Perhaps also, as someone said, with the internet & that we just analyze everything too much now ?

Recapping on the original question....Like others have also said,... I don't think it is as bad as is being made out...I think it's just a settling down period into smaller venues catering for each nieche...hastened along by the current economic climate, so just go where you want, be happy...& try & be happy for those who like other stuff :pirate:

Social source share

Keep your coat on FB, I asked this a while back; I'd like to see some playlists to see if they're worth a visit but the Nostalgia Scene events don't do post em, according to some because they think we'll rip the pi$$.

true !! people take the urine about the clothes people wear why stop there.? to be honest its getting a bit boring now.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I can't agree with your analogy.....it seems to me, that for every venue that shuts, another two open....as we have got older, and we don't have the energy, or indeed the inclination to dance all night. We have all decided that we'll do a bit of DJ'ing instead....but the only way you can get regular spots is by starting your own venue....and that, in a nutshell, is what's killing this scene....Well, that and the fact that there aren't enough new 60's tunes being found....cos they aren't there.... :tumbleweed3:

Hit the nail on the head, but there's loads of reasons as all of the posts have stated. But even after promoting events for 14 out of the past 16 years,i have NEVER started any venue to dj at. Even though i don't get offered many spots. So used my head and decided to put venues on for soul folk, so they could hear or dance to new 60's tunes. So maybe we shouldn't have so many people simply putting on venues just so's they can dj? And the tunes are still turning up, maybe not in the great numbers like they used to. Also the fact that there are still 100's of tracks lurking out there, or in the possesion of collectors or dj's, or in boxes. If people are not too lazy to look. They're just not all rare, or go for lots of money.

Martyn

Social source share

I haven`t posted anything of any substance on here for quite a while now: Used to do a regular blog and enter into debate but to be honest after some time the events surrounding the Northern scene became stale or me. I would never ever stop listening to the music or being interested in anything new to my ears (After 36 years that would be very hard to do because the music is part of who I am) but the `political` (for want of a better word), childish, moronic,pathetic activities of some around here has made me very very choosy where I go and also who I want to associate with.

I have scanned through these posts and see the same arguments and viewpoints posted again: Never the twain shall meet, I think and good luck to the dying brigade who think they are `above` the handbaggers but who will dance night after night to the same sounds that the `handbaggers` are dancing to in a different venue! There is definately elitism in this scene but from my way of thinking the elitism comes from those who think they are the `in crowd` by virtue of the uniforms they wear and the people they associate with. As the years roll by (51 tomorrow!) the sadder I think it has all become. The reality about events closing down is partly due to the `fly by nights` starting up and soon going down the pan due to lack of support, venues closing etc. but more I think (and remember I am only talking about from my own exerience) from events being started on the same night as others. Human nature will always dictate that people like to try something different and if given the choice will do so. The succesful event(In terms of numbers of people through the door) seems to be now the nights which give a cross section of music which the majority of the population (Not afficienados of the genre) can have a jig to.

The smaller local events are more to do with promoters notions of 'showcasing' themselves as the `In Crowd `who are proponents of something the rest of us are outside of. To my mind this is elitist (The very thing they would accuse the chinstrokers of being) These nights are for the punters an oasis, where they meet with likeminded people and who stick together (Herd mentality springs to mind). This sector operates as a self-referential 'closed shop' that, in practice, is only expected to engage with itself. A monopolistic or closed shop mentality is one that excludes anything new or different is what is being offered. Well thats for them not for me.

There is no doubt the scene as it stands locally today will die and there are those around who have the needle prepared to inject the final medication to end its life. These are the ones that would then quite happily move onto the next up and coming genre (If they aren`t too old by then!) 80`s/90`s nostalgia perhaps?

Edited by bridget
Social source share

There's a lot of nights on isn't there!

I just looked at the events calander and you really are spoilt for choice-especially in the North West.

Any Friday or Saturday that I picked over the next few months there is something on that I wouldn't mind going to.

Mind you, I get out so rarely I'd be happy with Do I love you on repeat and a kebab but that's another story :thumbup:

But seriously, is it a good thing? It probably isn't as I think that people are getting bored I really do.

I'm sure some of you will come back and tell me that you're having as great a time as ever but be honest -are you really?

For me it goes in cycles-I had a fantastic time in the 80s,early 90s, didn't bother that much again til the late 90s and then another great few years in the early 00s-early Lifeline, Sheridans, Cleethorpes, New Century-Happy Days indeed.

But now I'm nowhere near as excited about going out as I used to be. I don't hear as many new records as I used to, I go out so infrequently that I don't know anywhere near as many people as I used to and it just doesn't seem the same anymore. Most of the gang who I hung about with a few years ago have got hitched,had babies,got proper jobs,emigrated or disappeared off the face of the earth!

Although I did go out the other Friday. Would you imagine it 2 soul nights on the same night a few hundred yards away from each other.

Taste of Honey and Beat Boutique so I thought , sod it, I'll do both. And absolutely loads of people were out that I knew and it was like old times again...even down to silly dancing with Brett :ohmy:

So my conclusion....mmm... well I think that a lot of the samey sort of nights will tail off and others will prevail

Maybe this film will be a success and we'll have a few newcomers that will liven things up a bit :)

Social source share

The returnees have become bored / are dying off.

Simple as.

:thumbup: . abosolutely.

but now that's sorted, what else am I going to do for the rest of the day.. :ohmy:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

a bit unusual I know, but sometimes myself and sandra go to soul nights just for a good night out, we dont disect everthing that happens during an evening nor do we have an autopsy on the way home. good time, yes, thats it, anyone else remember that terminology?

Social source share

• 1 month later...

HATE - stoke, (piss heads and tourists) :)

LOVE - Middleton, Burnley, Bidds etc thumbsup.gif

ELITIST - I couldn't give a S**t what others think :lol:

As a souliue, been elitist all my life. :shades:

Lets face it as a young soulie the arrogance of the northern soul elitism was what made us feel so special, :lol:

I remember fighting with punks in wakefield in the late seventies every week, they hated our arrogance and elitist attitude :wicked:

I am what I am :D

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

how to get the young ones in.

Well seeing that just about every body is nearing 50 or there abouts either married or divorced,

why not have a same time theme all across the uk.say dave and marys wedding anniversery

.now if we all do this on the same day and time invite all your nephews and nieces only soul music is played

say if there is 100 at each party and 5 get hooked and their is 2 parties in each wee village town in uk thats a lot of young ones in the scene comprendo

Social source share

All the dodgy ones are closing for all the normal reasons, nobody is turning up, I went to an all nighter there about 20/25 people there - lost money - can't run anything is it's losing money - economic fact - not rocket science.............

Chris L

I think it's the other way round, there are too many clubs, not enough people and its all due to pressings being played all night. These are the ones that tend to survive and they are to blame for killing this scene along with killing off proper clubs due to the simple fact that the dodgy clubs all play f... pressings and if it wasn't for these twa.s then there would be less crap venues playing cheap imitation records that are mainly old big casino tunes pressed to death for a load of sheep to keep listening to every week. But if there were no pressings these clubs wouldn't be around at all and the infulence of the old pressings of classics would be less imposing. There would be far less clubs around granted but this would only be a good thing as there would be lots lots more people to go around to clubs playing proper original music and the influence at these clubs by dj's would at last influence the sheep and there would be a healthy future just like it used to be before lots of little clubs sprung up all playing old casino clasics from bloody pressings. Don't get me wrong I am not against any little club as I try and run one. But I am firmly against pressings for the reasons given. I embrace new clubs and new dj's but not joey clubs playing joey records, thats whats killing this scene.

ps:- I also like whatever I like, oldies, new, underplayed whatever. I believe in choice but it's the people who make the f..n pressings who are to blame for the shambles we are left with now. If they didn't make um no bugger could play um .

At the end of the day we may well still have a big divide in music but whatever your choice the clubs that you did decide to go to would be full whatever they play.

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

ere mate do u wanna buy sum pressings ?... :lol: ...

but seriously yes if ALL djs played ovo there would be less of us, as there are those who cant/wont pay the money for originals,especially those only into the big money nostalgia tunes....so less nights....probably better nights, thats providing people would still travel like they did many moons ago.....some would but a lot wouldnt....

not saying this is necesserally a bad thing...just an opinion

same things happening with the scooter scene....once upon a time there would only be 9 rallies a year with massive turnouts from all over the country....now most of us cant /dont want to manage more than a few hours on a scoot in the rain so there are more, not quite so good local rallies/do's....

Social source share

ere mate do u wanna buy sum pressings ?... :shades: ...

but seriously yes if ALL djs played ovo there would be less of us, as there are those who cant/wont pay the money for originals,especially those only into the big money nostalgia tunes....so less nights....probably better nights, thats providing people would still travel like they did many moons ago.....some would but a lot wouldnt....

not saying this is necesserally a bad thing...just an opinion

same things happening with the scooter scene....once upon a time there would only be 9 rallies a year with massive turnouts from all over the country....now most of us cant /dont want to manage more than a few hours on a scoot in the rain so there are more, not quite so good local rallies/do's....

yeah but the punters are not the one's buying the tunes ? when you say less of us do you mean punters dj's or promotors clubs ?? :lol:

Social source share

well i meant djs but yes there would be less of all three really....most pressing djs i presume are their own promoters and less of those punters who didnt want to travel further than a taxi ride..

and i know punters who buy vinyl both original and pressings....hasnt collecting 7s always been a big part of this scene...whether dj or not ?

Social source share

:unsure:

well i meant djs but yes there would be less of all three really....most pressing djs i presume are their own promoters and less of those punters who didnt want to travel further than a taxi ride..

and i know punters who buy vinyl both original and pressings....hasnt collecting 7s always been a big part of this scene...whether dj or not ?

yes i know what you mean but most people i know as punters never collected any some yes but vast majority no chance . also may be now and again they would go further than a taxi ride if there wasant a club down the rd playing pressings they may not have a choice then eh?

but what realy dose my head in is this do people realy think that young folks are going to be atracted to a scene thats full of old people dancing to music more than forty years old dressed in big pants and big skirts with jackets full of badges ??? no but if it was presented in a beter way then maybe more younger folks would be involved but i suspect its to late and may be its geting past its sell by date :D now come on folks its only an opinion no hate mail please

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

there are some outstanding allnighters and soul nights on at the moment up and down the country but some people just don't want that, they prefer to go out once or twice a month , possibly wearing a vest or big skirt and carrying a sports bag have a drink and a good old dance to stuff they know from their youth and local to where they live and i'm sure a lot of them don't give a second thought to what format this music is played just so long as they have a good night

if these type of nights weren't available then the majority of the nostalgia wallahs would probably stay in,

IMHO there are 2 soul scenes running side by side. one where people want to occasionally hear new diferent or rare soul records played on ovo or soul nostalgia nights wall to wall oldies played on what ever, personally i think there's room for both :unsure:

if some promoters concentrated on their short falls and improved their nights they'ed be packed to the rafters :D and if they're not packed why worry or complain because a lot of them do it for the love :g:

Social source share

efforts to keep punters happy

would anyone play a boot or reisue if some one made a special request for it (birthday) and you happened to have it in your box

Social source share

efforts to keep punters happy

would anyone play a boot or reisue if some one made a special request for it (birthday) and you happened to have it in your box

But why would anyone who is on the stage, DJ'ing with any credibility, happen to have such an item in their box?...

Anyway, as one of my bestest friends (who shall remain un-named in order to prevent possible legal action) once said (to my eternal merriment) ....

"I'm a Soul DJ, not a fuckin juke box".

Sorry for saying fuckin.

Social source share

Too few people,

Too many promoters,

Too many of above who don't listen,

Too few punters who want to expand,

Too many people who still think they are at youthie,

Too many complacent chin strokers who will say 'I was there' when they werent,

Too few people who realise oldies were newies once.

I know where I'm going. Do you?

My two penneth.

Jim :)

Social source share

:)

yes i know what you mean but most people i know as punters never collected any some yes but vast majority no chance . also may be now and again they would go further than a taxi ride if there wasant a club down the rd playing pressings they may not have a choice then eh?

but what realy dose my head in is this do people realy think that young folks are going to be atracted to a scene thats full of old people dancing to music more than forty years old dressed in big pants and big skirts with jackets full of badges ??? no but if it was presented in a beter way then maybe more younger folks would be involved but i suspect its to late and may be its geting past its sell by date :lol: now come on folks its only an opinion no hate mail please

Not hate mail, but where the hell are you going, I have not seen people dress like that for over 20 years. methinks you are at the wrong venues.........

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert