Wanted

Guest wrighty

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Fairmount east coast press (vinyl) plays loud and clear, but is much, much rarer than either the Hemisphere or Monarch Fairmount variants (I didn't know it existed until fairly recently). The Hemisphere copy plays very dynamically so shouldn't be sniffed at. The Monarch Fairmount copy is dull and plodding in comparison to the other two but looks nice.

A phenomenal dance soul record which always elicits much interest from non-northern soul fans when you play it to them.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

The Fairmount east coast press (vinyl) plays loud and clear too, but is much, much rarer than either the Hemisphere or Monarch Fairmount variants (I didn't know it existed until fairly recently).

A phenomenal dance soul record which always elicits much interest from non-northern soul fans when you play it to them.

Rarer? You sure?

I've seen as many Fairmount as I have Hemisphere. I have both.

Have to say they sound the same too. As far as I can recall anyway. Been a while since I've played either rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Great record. But can I ask why Fairmount only?

I'm nosey you see :thumbup:

quite simply coz fairmount is vinyl and hemisphere is apparently on styrene...wasnt aware of the rarity of either issue, i missed a copy of the fairmount at $200 on the funk board - a decent price or about right people? unsure.gif

Social source share

Rarer? You sure?

I've seen as many Fairmount as I have Hemisphere. I have both.

Have to say they sound the same too. As far as I can recall anyway. Been a while since I've played either rolleyes.gif

Hi Joan

I would rank them in order of rarity:

1. Fairmount east coast vinyl (blue and white striped issue, magenta logo);

2. Fourmount west coast styrene (black, blue and orange dj copy);

3. Hemisphere red issue styrene.

The Hemisphere styrene has a raised X in the run-off like Shrine singles. The Monarch west coast Fairmount styrene press is really much duller in sound than the Hemisphere. Play them side by side and you'll notice the difference is really marked. Both 2. & 3. have been around in similar quantity for years. 1. is much scarcer in my experience.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Hi Ian, I agree with Joan in that I wouldn't turn my nose up at either copy.

I have it on Hemisphere (played it a couple a times at 'Silk' thumbsup.gif ) and it plays great.

The other side ain't too shabby either

i hate styrene tho :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Well, it was 25 UKP ten years ago.

Marc

The stock market was 50% higher a couple of years ago, Liverpool were top of the league a couple of weeks ago, there was a foot of snow on the ground last week and now the country is flooded.

Crazy, baby.

Social source share

The stock market was 50% higher a couple of years ago, Liverpool were top of the league a couple of weeks ago, there was a foot of snow on the ground last week and now the country is flooded.

Crazy, baby.

Now that you say it man, right, even my weight was not as high and my hair was black.

crazy times really, man.

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

i hate styrene tho :lol:

Glad you do as i end up with your cast offs thumbsup.gif quite often, me i love a bit of West coast plastic, just need a delicate cueing action.

Unlike a certain Scotsman we know... :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

just need a delicate cueing action.

dont think it matters how careful you are with some of the buggers russ, u still get that annoying crackle at the start...and as i remember thru the whole record with any of kebs biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

dont think it matters how careful you are with some of the buggers russ, u still get that annoying crackle at the start...and as i remember thru the whole record with any of kebs :thumbup:

Cue burn, smoke stains, Bourbon whisky and coke sticky finger prints, I wonder who used to own that record? laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

dont think it matters how careful you are with some of the buggers russ, u still get that annoying crackle at the start...and as i remember thru the whole record with any of kebs :thumbup:

You know me, always 100 per cent focused and completely together when Djing ... rolleyes.gif

Never cue burnt a record, ever !......

Before 8 p.m.

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Glad you do as i end up with your cast offs thumbsup.gif quite often, me i love a bit of West coast plastic, just need a delicate cueing action.

Unlike a certain Scotsman we know... :thumbup:

My point about the raised XXs on the Hemisphere copy was that it isn't the crappy thin, dull Monarch styrene, but a more robust material pressed wherever many of the Shrine 45s were: it's not a million miles from Richmond, Virginia to Washington D.C.; someone will know the name of that pressing plant but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

The majority of the Fairmount presses are crappy Monarch styrene which should be avoided if possible where an alternative exists. The one for sale on the funk board was possibly crappy styrene (no scan so impossible to tell) so maybe you had a lucky escape Ian.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

My point about the raised XXs on the Hemisphere copy was that it isn't the crappy thin, dull Monarch styrene, but a more robust material pressed wherever many of the Shrine 45s were: it's not a million miles from Richmond, Virginia to Washington D.C.; someone will know the name of that pressing plant but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

The majority of the Fairmount presses are crappy Monarch styrene which should be avoided if possible where an alternative exists. The one for sale on the funk board was possibly crappy styrene (no scan so impossible to tell) so maybe you had a lucky escape Ian.

thks for the warning gareth thumbsup.gif

Social source share

'Shelley Plastics'...based in Huntingdon Station, Long Island, near to NYC. By the way, according to Anorak's Corner ( :thumbsup: ) during 1969, the "X" was replaced with a backwards "S" within a circle.

Oscar Wright was a minor spin at Stafford...a real speaker-shaker-bass-line! I saw more East Coast Fairmounts during that period than any other format! The Hemispheres showed up en masses a few years later.

:)

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

'Shelley Plastics'...based in Huntingdon Station, Long Island, near to NYC. By the way, according to Anorak's Corner ( :thumbsup: ) during 1969, the "X" was replaced with a backwards "S" within a circle.

Oscar Wright was a minor spin at Stafford...a real speaker-shaker-bass-line! I saw more East Coast Fairmounts during that period than any other format! The Hemispheres showed up en masses a few years later.

:)

That's the one, thanks Dave. Nice piece of Staffording too.

Social source share

Thread hijack...nobody move! :lol:

Interesting...have seen more Daran than Ja-Wes, personally :D

OK...back to Oscar Wright :(

And I have probably seen more Fairmount than Hemisphere. But obviously they weren't the new 'rare' Fairmount.

Apologies, but I've got to ask... did you ever get a swap for that Magictones Dave?

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

This is my favourite record of all time, I just thought I'd mention that fact.

Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while and the excitement has made me a little giddy.

As you were, everyone.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Goodness!

Got this few months ago off the bay for $5 - On Hemisphere in Ex cond

Liked it but have never played the fell in love side - Going home later to dig it out

Looked on manships site and he doesnt list it!

Never checked his guide for a price on this- Thats another little job to do tonight!

Amazing I would have probably sold it on here for say £7.00

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Oh Goodness!

Got this few months ago off the bay for $5 - On Hemisphere in Ex cond

Liked it but have never played the fell in love side - Going home later to dig it out

Looked on manships site and he doesnt list it!

Never checked his guide for a price on this- Thats another little job to do tonight!

Amazing I would have probably sold it on here for say £7.00

Steve ,i believe you mate.

Your sales are all usually under £30 and in good nick too!

Just sold my fairmount on ebay yesterday for £75 (styrene ,with a edge chip).

Funnily enough it went straight after this one finished :lamsey:

looks like you got a very nice bargain there :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

thks nev, yeah mine was the same as this i think, and not a lot of difference in price thankfully :thumbup:

Now i didn't see that otherwise i would have had a punt..

Actually yours sounds like a fair deal too, Nev...

Only need to find me a nice vinyl copy and everybody's happy !!

Social source share

Source Advert