Dana Valery

I'm guessing that many of us have got a huge soft spot for "You don't know where your interest lies". Stunning arrangement, oh-so-tasteful drum fills, and possibly the most thunderous bass that ever graced a Northern stomper.

There's just one thing; I've never been quite sure if I consider it a soul record. What do you think? Granted, it's a Simon and Garfunkel song (and a bloody good one) - but that's not my issue; it's Dana's vocals. Are they a tad too strident to be soulful? Anyone agree she sounds a bit musical theatre?

And who is Dana Valery anyway? Black? White? Seem to recall hearing she was from South Africa, but my memory is vague. Anyone fill us in on her career?

Knowledge gap needs filling here. Many thanks!

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm guessing that many of us have got a huge soft spot for "You don't know where your interest lies".  Stunning arrangement, oh-so-tasteful drum fills, and possibly the most thunderous bass that ever graced a Northern stomper.

There's just one thing;  I've never been quite sure if I consider it a soul record.  What do you think?  Granted, it's a Simon and Garfunkel song (and a bloody good one) - but that's not my issue; it's Dana's vocals.  Are they a tad too strident to be soulful?  Anyone agree she sounds a bit musical theatre?

And who is Dana Valery anyway?  Black? White? Seem to recall hearing she was from South Africa, but my memory is vague.  Anyone fill us in on her career? 

Knowledge gap needs filling here.  Many thanks!

Colin

link

White (for Gods sake don't tell Christain H :lol: ).And I think an Italian American.

Originally known as the 'Singing Nun' Check out her Brunswick album (US) which has a version of 'Higher and Higher' (Jackie Wilson) on it.

Steve

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

White (for Gods sake don't tell Christain H  :lol: ).And I think an Italian American.

Originally known as the 'Singing Nun' Check out her Brunswick album (US) which has a version of 'Higher and Higher' (Jackie Wilson) on it.

Steve

link

She's white allright. Think Col was closer with South Africa as country of origin.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I'm guessing that many of us have got a huge soft spot for "You don't know where your interest lies".  Stunning arrangement, oh-so-tasteful drum fills, and possibly the most thunderous bass that ever graced a Northern stomper.

There's just one thing;  I've never been quite sure if I consider it a soul record.  What do you think?  Granted, it's a Simon and Garfunkel song (and a bloody good one) - but that's not my issue; it's Dana's vocals.  Are they a tad too strident to be soulful?  Anyone agree she sounds a bit musical theatre?

And who is Dana Valery anyway?  Black? White? Seem to recall hearing she was from South Africa, but my memory is vague.  Anyone fill us in on her career? 

Knowledge gap needs filling here.  Many thanks!

Colin

link

I love the break in the track were you can still hear Paul Simon talking over the top

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I first heard the Corrine whats-er-face version of this. And still prefer it to the Dana Valery, for no other reason, than it was the the first version.

I have a soft spot for a few first timers..... blush.gif

Social source share

You what??

link

The "you don't begin to comprehend" bit, that's Paul Simon speaking. It's the exact same part that can be heard on the original Simon & Garfunkel cut (which ofcourse also was released on Columbia and is fantastic). I wouldn't consider Dana Valery's cut to be "soul" in any way.

Social source share

The "you don't begin to comprehend" bit, that's Paul Simon speaking. It's the exact same part that can be heard on the original Simon & Garfunkel cut (which ofcourse also was released on Columbia and is fantastic). I wouldn't consider Dana Valery's cut to be "soul" in any way.

link

I better go dig mine out and have a listen, never noticed that

Social source share

Oviously no MIRRORS in your gaff Smiffy

you little ,bald coffin dodger.

go play your 60,s HEAVY METAL (literally)/acetate,dub plates on your gramaphone and stick your head down the horn..

ha ha..

the gasher D.I.S.C.O D.I S.C.O oooohh I love Ottowan

and its actually "PORRIDGE"

but you soft arse south of the border southerners wouldnt know that.

Social source share

go play your 60,s HEAVY METAL (literally)/acetate,dub plates on your gramaphone and stick your head down the horn..

ha ha..

the gasher  D.I.S.C.O  D.I S.C.O  oooohh I love Ottowan

link

That is a moot point actually because before entering the word I did a search and it came up with the way I spelt it first. So there.

Coffin dodger ohmy.gif

Social source share

ha ha..

the gasher  D.I.S.C.O  D.I S.C.O  oooohh I love Ottowan

link

its actually Ready brek!!south the border Gash!!

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Guest rachel

link

Ooh didn't know that, always wondered what that random bit of speaking was about ohmy.gif

Social source share

over rated ,over played,over priced, over here non soul ,shite, drivel and dross of the highest order..IMO

the gasher

link

Don't sugar coat it Gash! Tell us how you really feel ...  ohmy.gif

link

I thought I just did .Was it not clear enough for you

haha

the gasher

link

Crystal! Now there's a Southernism for you. Popularised by that Lock Stock film that even them 'fackin norvern mankee's' would ave seen. Except Hammy of course, as they talk out the side of their mouths. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've got a track by her called You Baby, not the Len Barry song I think.

link

Great record Geoff :shades: wouldn't mind one of those myself ph34r.gif

Social source share

White (for Gods sake don't tell Christain H  :shades: ).And I think an Italian American.

Steve

link

BLADEFORLIFE im confused ph34r.gif do you mean originally known as or originally recorded as the singing nun? DOMINIQUE blush.gif SAY IT ISNT SO :(

Social source share

BLADEFORLIFE im confused :shades: do you mean originally known as  or originally recorded as the singing nun? DOMINIQUE ph34r.gif SAY IT ISNT SO blush.gif

link

Nah,

She was French or Belgian. It all went t*ts up for her really. Top 20 hit over most of Europe then abortion, drug addiction and finally suicide.

Not quite "The Sound Of Music" is it?

Godz

Social source share

BLADEFORLIFE im confused :thumbsup: do you mean originally known as  or originally recorded as the singing nun? DOMINIQUE :wicked: SAY IT ISNT SO :P

link

The details are on the notes on the album sleeve. But not Dominique

Social source share

I love the break in the track were you can still hear Paul Simon talking over the top

link

I was thinking the same as Pete-S....You What !.... but I am sure he is referring to the break when a voice say's " You Don't Begin To Comprehend "....????

Jon Buck

Social source share

I was thinking the same as Pete-S....You What !.... but I am sure he is referring to the break when a voice say's " You Don't Begin To Comprehend "....????

Jon Buck

link

Yeah I was - not the fact it was said, I just wondered how they knew it was Paul Simon who said it

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

anyhow how do you all know straight away shes belgian

I sent her $4000 dollars for records and they never arrived...

:thumbsup::wicked::D

Best reply ever on this site?? I would think so :P:D:D

A nation once condemned as being boring are now a nation of theives. Old salmonella must be reet proud.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

She also had this Disco item released:

VALERY, DANA BRUNSWICK 55494 DJ I'M A WOMAN NOW / SAME

"I'm a Woman Now", which Dana Valery wrote, is decidedly not disco. It was released around 1973, which predates disco. It's sophisticated Chicago pop-soul, produced by Carl Davis. If you like Barbara Acklin and the Chi-Lites you might like this song. It unfortunately does not appear on Dana Valery's Brunswick album of the same period: "Not the Flower But the Root". It was not common for a white artist to work with black producers and musicians and I for one think Dana Valery handles this material beautifully.

Social source share

"I'm a Woman Now", which Dana Valery wrote, is decidedly not disco. It was released around 1973, which predates disco. It's sophisticated Chicago pop-soul, produced by Carl Davis. If you like Barbara Acklin and the Chi-Lites you might like this song. It unfortunately does not appear on Dana Valery's Brunswick album of the same period: "Not the Flower But the Root". It was not common for a white artist to work with black producers and musicians and I for one think Dana Valery handles this material beautifully.

I have got a nice version of " YDKWYIL " by Howard on Halifax ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm pretty sure Dana Valery had a couple of Italian language singles released in the UK on Decca in the 60's.

Yes to on Decca, no to in Italian. She was Italian (and still is, as she's still alive) but she lived in South Africa from the age of two or three. She came to the UK in 1964 with an all SA musical revue called "Wait A Minim" and, while she was here she did cut some singles for Decca.

One was an English language version of the 1964 Eurovision Song Contest Winner, Gigliola Cinquetti's "Non Ho L'Eta Per Amarti" (I'm Not Old Enough To love You), which she recorded as "This Is My Prayer". Her other Decca single was a pretty decent version of Chuck Jackson's "I Wake Up Crying".

She is now some sort of 'healer' and goes by her full name of Dana Valery Catalano. She has a website promoting her healing activities if you really want to look it's www.danacatalano.com

Her Brunswick album is good from beginning to end. Almost all versions of previously issued Brunswick classics on the original backing tracks. Her version of "(I Can Feel Those Vibrations) This Love Is Real" is especially good, as is the previously mentioned "You Baby", originally recorded (but not originally issued) by Otis Leavill.

Social source share

"You Don't Know Where ... " was a pure pop record but a good one to dance to and therefore served a purpose on the northern soul scene.

The rare Australian only version of the song by a mysterious girl called Fia Karin on the Spin label is even better than Dana's version. A Festival Records Australian studio engineer mentioned to me many years ago that Fia Karin was in fact Lynne Randell ! Thereby adding another northern soul connection to the tune ....

At the time of "You Don't ... " , Dana was an out and out pop singer and there is a fair bit of info on her on the web. She had a mildly successful entertainment career in the US and is now known as Dana Catalano and is an energy healer and minister of the universal life church : www.dana.catalano.com

Of far more interest to real soul fans is her LP on Brunswick from the late 60's in which Brunswick re-invented her as a genuine blue-eyed soul girl. It contains the fabulous dancer, the Curtis Mayfield written "You Babe", the unreleased instrumental of which Kent released on a various artists northern comp LP.

Basically its the greatest song Young Holt Unlimited never recorded. A dreamy atmosphere like California Montage with vocals !

Now can someone explain how that fabulous Curtis Mayfield tune only ever appeared on that LP ? I'm trying to think if I can recall ever seeing any other Curtis Mayfield written tune recorded on the Brunswick/Dakar labels ? Was it something to do with the Okeh vs Brunswick split when Carl Davis left Okeh for Brunswick in 1966 ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"You Don't Know Where ... " was a pure pop record but a good one to dance to and therefore served a purpose on the northern soul scene.

The rare Australian only version of the song by a mysterious girl called Fia Karin on the Spin label is even better than Dana's version. A Festival Records Australian studio engineer mentioned to me many years ago that Fia Karin was in fact Lynne Randell ! Thereby adding another northern soul connection to the tune ....

At the time of "You Don't ... " , Dana was an out and out pop singer and there is a fair bit of info on her on the web. She had a mildly successful entertainment career in the US and is now known as Dana Catalano and is an energy healer and minister of the universal life church : www.dana.catalano.com

Of far more interest to real soul fans is her LP on Brunswick from the late 60's in which Brunswick re-invented her as a genuine blue-eyed soul girl. It contains the fabulous dancer, the Curtis Mayfield written "You Babe", the unreleased instrumental of which Kent released on a various artists northern comp LP.

Basically its the greatest song Young Holt Unlimited never recorded. A dreamy atmosphere like California Montage with vocals !

Now can someone explain how that fabulous Curtis Mayfield tune only ever appeared on that LP ? I'm trying to think if I can recall ever seeing any other Curtis Mayfield written tune recorded on the Brunswick/Dakar labels ? Was it something to do with the Okeh vs Brunswick split when Carl Davis left Okeh for Brunswick in 1966 ?

Didn't read my posting from 4 hours ago before putting this up, then! laugh.gif

Otis Leavill's original wasn't originally released because he goes flat in a couple of places. I did stick it on a now deleted Westside CD I put together of Otis, Billy Butler and Major Lance's Brunswick/Dakar sides, the only place that it's ever been released as far as I know.

Credit for discovering the Otis tape has to go to Ady C....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert