• Replies 48
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

does anyone know if its album or 45 ?

anyone ready to let it slip..... :lol:

On 45 but don't know about an album. Amazed it's not been uncovered yet...but I'm not going to be the one who uncovers it, thats down to whoever first covered/played it. IMO nothing really special, but heard plenty of others say otherwise so maybe I'm on my own about not really liking it!!

Social source share

On 45 but don't know about an album. Amazed it's not been uncovered yet...but I'm not going to be the one who uncovers it, thats down to whoever first covered/played it. IMO nothing really special, but heard plenty of others say otherwise so maybe I'm on my own about not really liking it!!

No you're not alone Adam. It's pants :lol:

Social source share

No you're not alone Adam. It's pants :lol:

Hey Joan,You and Tony ok mate?

Its still gainin momentum for sum reason.

I think it will be another Stanky get Funky,shortley lived.

But let it ride and keep the mystique goin,The thrill of the catch is in the hunt.

Then its over. :lol:

Mike x

Social source share

I'm amazed its not been uncovered yet...especially as its on a recent playlist on here!! And its been comped for over 7 years! And its an old mod spin...

i thought it had been uncovered as you say been on playlist, wasnt my cup of tea so i moved it on good cheapie though :thumbsup:

mark

Social source share

I'm amazed its not been uncovered yet...especially as its on a recent playlist on here!! And its been comped for over 7 years! And its an old mod spin...

And especially as more people have it than don't have it :thumbsup:

Could never get my head round why anyone would want to cover it up in the first place.

Who did cover it up first?

Social source share

And especially as more people have it than don't have it :thumbsup:

Could never get my head round why anyone would want to cover it up in the first place.

Who did cover it up first?

Gotta agree Joan it is terrible and cannot see the appeal personally. Perhaps covering it up glams it up a bit and makes it more acceptable cause I doubt it would ever get a second look otherwise.

Social source share

If it's the Doni Burdick "Slant" cover-up you're talking about then it's "It's Gonna Rain" by Gentleman June Gardner on EMARCY.

A very well known tune that as has been stated was comped on a high profile New Orleans funk compilation a bunch of years ago.

lol, i had this since i was about 15. i'm a mod Dj and i never even played it! it's ok like.

Social source share

Pretty sure it got action at the Hideaway (Mike W could confirm) alongside other mod nights down here. I played it alongside stuff like The Organiser on Pye down at Mousetrap. It was Soul Jazz that put it out on their New Orleans comp alongside the dreaded 'Here Come The Girls'.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

ah! :thumbsup: if anyone wants one i'd ask rob messer he used to knock them out at about £30 odd i think.....would shudde rto think people may of paid more for it

A £1 would be too much. It does continue that fine 'northern' tradition of covering up absolute crap, and hoping no one will notice that's what it is.

I think the culprits should be 'named and shamed'....

Best,

RB

Social source share

OK, I understand that people think that it's ridiculous to cover-up a tune like this which isn't excatly the most exiting thing ever put to vinyl... but in which universe is Gentleman June Gardner's "It's Gonna Rain" absolute crap/appalling? huh.gif Surely not "northern" in any way, but it's a good mod-jazz / club soul / rhythm'n'soul type of thing out of New Orleans. I can see that the cover-ing up of it gets people wound up, but why the actual tune offends anyone who have even the slightest interest in r&b/soul is beyond me.

Social source share

OK, I understand that people think that it's ridiculous to cover-up a tune like this which isn't excatly the most exiting thing ever put to vinyl... but in which universe is Gentleman June Gardner's "It's Gonna Rain" absolute crap/appalling? huh.gif Surely not "northern" in any way, but it's a good mod-jazz / club soul / rhythm'n'soul type of thing out of New Orleans. I can see that the cover-ing up of it gets people wound up, but why the actual tune offends anyone who have even the slightest interest in r&b/soul is beyond me.

Have to agree with you, but you know why it offends people. Because they look down their nose at practically anything that doesn't fit in with their ideals.

Social source share

Who's offended? :thumbup:

Yes, people have said they don't like it. Can't remember anyone saying they were offended by it though.

Social source share

Have to agree with you, but you know why it offends people. Because they look down their nose at practically anything that doesn't fit in with their ideals.

I know its bad how some people are Pete and thank god you set an example by never doing that. thumbsup.gif

Is it a bad record is it bad because of who it's by?

Social source share

Personally, i think it's a great record, liked it since i heard it on the afore mentioned New Orleans Funk compilation.

I didn't even know that it was being covered up or even played on the Northern Soul scene until i heard it at Middleton

and it sounded great on a big sound system.

Just because some people don't agree that it "belongs" at a Northern night doesn't mean that it's actually a crap piece of music.

Social source share

A £1 would be too much. It does continue that fine 'northern' tradition of covering up absolute crap, and hoping no one will notice that's what it is.

I think the culprits should be 'named and shamed'....

Best,

RB

It's supposed to be a dance scene....it's a fookin great record to dance to....it sounds fantastic played out.....I'll name myself, and I'm certainly NOT SHAMED....if you don't like it, that's fine. But don't all make out that it's not a great dance tune....it's got that undefinable atmosphere that makes me feel good, and want to dance.....that's what it's all about to me.

Phil.

Social source share

Theres room for subjectivity on any record. It pains me to think there may be some people who think 'One Gold Piece' is shit but i would wager there are.

Its how you deliver your view that counts i would of thought.

Wouldn't of thought a played out (albeit good) old mod jazz cut would of caused such consternation on SS tho! :thumbsup:

Edited by mulf
Social source share

'But then, i've recently seen 'Is she in your town' and 'the joke's on you' described as the 'worst tracks ever played on the scene' on here'

Really?? Far worse stuff than either of these, which are both solid r&s records to my (not insubstantially sized) ears....

I do have said c/u and a Curtis Lee and would love the Kenny Gamble as I think it's awsesome,just shows how diverse the scene is,that's why the floor empties and re-fills between toons!

Personally I do not like most Motownesque " northern" (THERE'S ANOTHER POST!)

life's too short,as they say :thumbup:

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert