Skull Snaps

How much does skull snaps-- didnt I do it to you-- GSF dj copy m- go for at the mo love this record sounds just awsome out dont know if I should sell or not got someone interested but I still got this crazy notion it could have its day big style or has it already also got someone interested in swap for same record aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Edited by fifesouly
Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How much does skull snaps-- didnt I do it to you-- GSF dj copy m- go for at the mo love this record sounds just awsome out dont know if I should sell or not got someone interested but I still got this crazy notion it could have its day big style or has it already also got someone interested in swap for same record aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Never heard of it sorry!

Social source share

So the people who've got the single won't know it then?

No, that's not what I said. Actually I didn't even see that you'd posted until I added my reply, so if you're being a tad sensitive because you think I was having a knock you're on the wrong track.

It's on the LP. That's where I first heard it and I bet lots of other people will have done too, as many who bought the album for the two Northern tracks, or funkers after "It's A New Day" will also have heard the track. I only found out years later that "Didn't I..." was a single, but by then I really loved track. No idea what it goes for though.

Social source share

Craig Moerer - Records by mail currently has one listed on ebay For $150, he is a US dealer, I have bought from him in the past and always been satisfied.

Sean

Social source share

Craig Moerer - Records by mail currently has one listed on ebay For $150, he is a US dealer, I have bought from him in the past and always been satisfied.

Sean

I've got an album going spare - it's the original one that I hammered back in the mid 70's but it plays just fine (just checked it) and it does have the authenticity of being played at Wigan, Cleethorpes, The Central and Samanthas so the history is embellished within it's grooves LOL.....

The top and bottom spines need fixing/taping but it is the greatest Soul gatefold album of all time with just brilliant artwork - check my avatar for a viewing.

Just checked "Didn't I Do It To You" and it's great! What an album! Not many that have 3 killer Northern tracks on these days......

I'd say both the album and sleeve are Good i.e. both kinda tatty but eminently playable and a pleasure to behold.

If anyone's interested just PM me with an offer....

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I've got an album going spare - it's the original one that I hammered back in the mid 70's but it plays just fine (just checked it) and it does have the authenticity of being played at Wigan, Cleethorpes, The Central and Samanthas so the history is embellished within it's grooves LOL.....

The top and bottom spines need fixing/taping but it is the greatest Soul gatefold album of all time with just brilliant artwork - check my avatar for a viewing.

Just checked "Didn't I Do It To You" and it's great! What an album! Not many that have 3 killer Northern tracks on these days......

I'd say both the album and sleeve are Good i.e. both kinda tatty but eminently playable and a pleasure to behold.

If anyone's interested just PM me with an offer....

Ian D biggrin.gif

I think there are a couple of other decent(ish) tracks on there too Ian. In fact they are all good if you don't mind a bit of funk every now and then! "I'm falling out of love" is nice, so is "All of a sudden" and "Having you around" isn't bad "sofa soul".

In fact one of the nicer albums that most of us just bought for "I'm your pimp"! And a great sleeve as well, that's value for money!

Like the idea of a copy that I would have actually danced to as a lad though...

Best,

RB

Social source share

I think there are a couple of other decent(ish) tracks on there too Ian. In fact they are all good if you don't mind a bit of funk every now and then! "I'm falling out of love" is nice, so is "All of a sudden" and "Having you around" isn't bad "sofa soul".

In fact one of the nicer albums that most of us just bought for "I'm your pimp"! And a great sleeve as well, that's value for money!

Best,

RB

Yep, Skull Snaps are one unique group. I loved "My Hang Up Is You" before I even heard "I'm Your Pimp" and then when I saw the artwork that was it! My favourite artwork on an album ever and that drop-down gatefold with the skeleton on was a really bold move for a New York black act and indie label any time leave alone the mid 70's. "It's A New Day" is also one of the most-sampled tracks of all time on the Rap/Hip-Hop scene so it's something of a all-round classic covering a few scenes.

We discovered it first though! shades.gif

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Best,

RB

Yep, Skull Snaps are one unique group. I loved "My Hang Up Is You" before I even heard "I'm Your Pimp" and then when I saw the artwork that was it! My favourite artwork on an album ever and that drop-down gatefold with the skeleton on was a really bold move for a New York black act and indie label any time leave alone the mid 70's. "It's A New Day" is also one of the most-sampled tracks of all time on the Rap/Hip-Hop scene so it's something of an all-round classic covering a few scenes.....

Ian D :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Yep, Skull Snaps are one unique group. I loved "My Hang Up Is You" before I even heard "I'm Your Pimp" and then when I saw the artwork that was it! My favourite artwork on an album ever and that drop-down gatefold with the skeleton on was a really bold move for a New York black act and indie label any time leave alone the mid 70's. "It's A New Day" is also one of the most-sampled tracks of all time on the Rap/Hip-Hop scene so it's something of an all-round classic covering a few scenes.....

Ian D :D

We certainly did Ollie! I mean Ian...

I had heard "My hang up" played covered as the O'jays somewhere or other, and literally the next day I found a mint UK copy on a local market stall for 35p! Gave it my mate when I got the album "'cos i didn't need it anymore". (Sigh).

When I first heard "I'm your pimp" announced I really couldn't believe I'd heard it right, very shocking for a well bought up boy. As your tales of danger and excitement with Mr Soussan have been I might add.

Best,

RB

Social source share

We certainly did Ollie! I mean Ian...

I had heard "My hang up" played covered as the O'jays somewhere or other, and literally the next day I found a mint UK copy on a local market stall for 35p! Gave it my mate when I got the album "'cos i didn't need it anymore". (Sigh).

When I first heard "I'm your pimp" announced I really couldn't believe I'd heard it right, very shocking for a well bought up boy. As your tales of danger and excitement with Mr Soussan have been I might add.

Best,

RB

LOL, I spent many a long time analysing the lyrics of "I'm Your Pimp" in Mirfield, Yorkshire wondering what the hell it was all about.

Within 5 minutes of arriving in Manhattan and going to the 'old' Times Square in New York it made perfect sense LOL....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

LOL, I spent many a long time analysing the lyrics of "I'm Your Pimp" in Mirfield, Yorkshire wondering what the hell it was all about.

Within 5 minutes of arriving in Manhattan and going to the 'old' Times Square in New York it made perfect sense LOL....

Ian D biggrin.gif

God , those nights in Mirfield must have been dull .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

God , those nights in Mirfield must have been dull .......

Malc Burton

Well, compared to the pimp world which the Skull Snaps inhabited I guess it was a bit dull Malc...... sleep3.gif

Quite exciting when the neighbours dog escaped once though.......

And I once saw this guy fall over coming out of The White Swan - that was certainly a night to remember!

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well, compared to the pimp world which the Skull Snaps inhabited I guess it was a bit dull Malc...... sleep3.gif

And I once saw this guy fall over coming out of The White Swan - that was certainly a night to remember!

Ian D :rolleyes:

Where I grew up , there was nothing to do , and the biggest excitement came when the people came out of the houses to watch it go dark .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I have a dreadful feeling it was seeing Huggy Bear on Starsky & Huch that made sense of it for me!

RB

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

Well, compared to the pimp world which the Skull Snaps inhabited I guess it was a bit dull Malc...... :thumbsup:

Ian D :unsure:

I had an auntie and uncle ,Elsie and Tommy ,wwo lived in Mirfield. Not a real Auntie and Uncle , just family friends, they stayed in a cul.de.sac. and they had a friend called Eric who bred budgies. Do you know them.
Social source share

I had an auntie and uncle ,Elsie and Tommy ,wwo lived in Mirfield. Not a real Auntie and Uncle , just family friends, they stayed in a cul.de.sac. and they had a friend called Eric who bred budgies. Do you know them.

Would that be Eric "The Budgie Man" I wonder.......?

No 'fraid not A.R.B. I don't get back there so much these days I'm afraid.....

Social source share

Just before this thread goes completely away from the original topic... :thumbsup:

Has anyone seen this 45 as a stock copy?

post-5094-1234213388_thumb.jpg

Mine is a demo also! :D

No, can't say I have but isn't GSF such a great label? I've always liked most stuff on GSF - a real New York indie with attitude I think.

Always loved the Wendell Watts too. Got it off Levine in the late 70's - such atmosphere on the record!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Would that be Eric "The Budgie Man" I wonder.......?

No 'fraid not A.R.B. I don't get back there so much these days I'm afraid.....

Ian D :wave: Eric the Budgie man, thats him, you will not see him this time of year, think he goes south for the Winter

Social source share

" Having you around " is a great Deep side , also cut by The New Sound on their Turbo / P- Vine lp .Did you know The Skullsnaps used to be The Puzzles on Fatback ? Saw them live at Cleethorpes a few years back as both groups .Best,Eddie

EDDIE THEY WHERE THE DIPLOMATS :wave:

Social source share

Was that the Eric that got down on his knees to do it ?

( My apologies to the mods for going off topic , but I am curious , and promise not to do it again )

Malc Burton

Social source share

All the same group Benji :thumbup:

Also, Sam, Erv & Tom :D on Dynamo (UK Direction) & Grill (Aint That Loving You).

Sam Culley, Ervin Waters & Thomas Pric (Bill Collier left the group after the Diplomats).

Remember how we all thought the Fantastic Puzzles were also The Puzzles?

Well, turns out that they weren't!

You still collecting GSF John?

Sean

Social source share

Also, Sam, Erv & Tom yes.gif on Dynamo (UK Direction) & Grill (Aint That Loving You).

Sam Culley, Ervin Waters & Thomas Pric (Bill Collier left the group after the Diplomats).

Sean

On & off Sean, got all the UK ones years ago, so just picking the US ones up slowly - when the price is right :)

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Also, Sam, Erv & Tom yes.gif on Dynamo (UK Direction) & Grill (Aint That Loving You).

Sean

am i way off here or did they have something to do with the street people on vigor, or did they morph from another group??

Social source share

Just before this thread goes completely away from the original topic... :thumbsup:

Has anyone seen this 45 as a stock copy?

post-5094-1234213388_thumb.jpg

Mine is a demo also! :ohmy:

girth played it on sean robbins sunday soul selection this morning. sounded bloody great

dave

sunday chill out 1st march horse and groom pub. east laith gate doncaster town center with pinches twins, joe lakin,mick wad and guests the friendship boys mark and geordie

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Ian D :cheese1:

Frank, too right

i flew back from JFK in late 70's and decided to stay close to Airport and booked into a motel in Jamaica close by (was a bit green in those days) and having grabbed a drive thru McCarboards we went back to the hotel as it then occured to me that we were in a definate dodgy black area.

The motel also transpired to be knocking shop and records such as IYP came to mind as well as Fuckin for Jamaica. With all the furniture moveable now at the back of the door we heard the local bitches (male and female) either side, above and belowand outside plying their trade.

It was a good job we had Tamala Lewis, International GTO's and Billy Arnells to keep us company

thanks to George Greco in NJ.....HAPPY DAYS :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert