Parkway - Chubby Checker - (at The) Discotheque

45cellar

Anyone know if there are any other Label Variations

A West Coast White DEMO Perhaps

(AT THE) DISCOTHEQUE OR (DO THE) DISCOTHEQUE

Possibly even a Multicoloured DEMO.

Are there any other Parkway Yellow DEMOs, for other Soul releases.

CHUBBY CHECKER - AT THE DISCOTHEQUE

EAST COAST

Parkway_P-949-B_DJ_EC.gifParkway_P-949-B_EC.gifParkway_P-949-B_DJ_Y_EC-1.gif

WEST COAST

Question_Mark_300.gifParkway_P-949-B_S-1.gifParkway_P-949b_DJ_Y_S.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Roger,

I have a west coast demo of (DO THE) DISCOTHEQUE.

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for the Reply.

Is it White or Yellow as above.

This record is one of the first Non Motown records I decided to collect way back in the Youth Club days..

Managed to acquire a U.K. Cameo-Parkway Stock Copy eventually.

I now collect mainly U.S.A. & still buy as and when I have funds.

Noticed the different Variations for the DEMO & wondered if others exist.

Also any Other Soul Releases, on a Yellow Parkway DEMO ?

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

This record is one of the first Non Motown records I decided to collect way back in the Youth Club days..

Hi Roger,

The guy that had a copy at our Youth Club was treated like he had a copy of Frank Wilson.

Was very proud to be able to buy said disc off him, eventually, by which time quite a few had showed up.

Incredible tune.

Just love a bit of 'Disco'.

:unsure:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Roger,

The guy that had a copy at our Youth Club was treated like he had a copy of Frank Wilson.

Was very proud to be able to buy said disc off him, eventually, by which time quite a few had showed up.

Incredible tune.

Just love a bit of 'Disco'.

:lol:

Sean

Hi Sean

Yes, I too remember chasing the Elusive Cameo-Parkway Copy.

As you correctly point out, it was a Trophy Piece at the time.

I remember a friends Sister had a few Chubby Checker records

(Including "Two Hearts Make One Love" Doh!) frusty2.gif Didn't know about the Incredible B Side then.

and of course "At The Discotheque" BUT THEY WERE NOT PARTING WITH THEM.

At the time this was the first copy I had actually seen.

It used to get played at our Youth Club and Doncaster Top Rank, still love the record 40 Years Later.

Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

Hi Pete

Thanks for the Reply.

Is it White or Yellow as above.

Managed to acquire a U.K. Cameo-Parkway Stock Copy eventually.

I now collect mainly U.S.A. & still buy as and when I have funds.

Noticed the different Variations for the DEMO & wondered if others exist.

Also any Other Soul Releases, on a Yellow Parkway DEMO ?

Hi Roger,

It's White as I try collect west coast parkway white demo's.

I have quite a few, Chubby Checker you just don't know, Yvonne Baker you didn't say a word,

Christine Cooper heartaches, Bunny Sigler girl don't make me wait & let the good times roll,

Janie Grant my heart just to name a few!

Pete thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Roger,

It's White as I try collect west coast parkway white demo's.

I have quite a few, Chubby Checker you just don't know, Yvonne Baker you didn't say a word,

Christine Cooper heartaches, Bunny Sigler girl don't make me wait & let the good times roll,

Janie Grant my heart just to name a few!

Pete thumbsup.gif

Hi Pete

Thanks Once Again,

Another to look out for then, My quest continues.

That's a mighty fine collection you have there mate,

not easy to collect the same Label design for any Label but Parkway gotta be one of the hardest.

Social source share

That's right, Roger.

A different 'face' design on the label.

Its got a pic cover too!

Not seen it in a while though.

Hope it wasn't a flood casualty.

sad.gif

Sean

Hope it wasn't too, never seen a Chubby Checker on this Label.

Cameo_Parkway.gif

Interesting that they felt it necessary to change the design from the U.S.A. Design.

>>> LINK <<<

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I say Roger! What's that big, ugly, red question mark doing there? Maybe you should replace it with one of these biggrin.gif

post-1918-1234538901_thumb.jpg

Ok, it's actually Canadian. Close call though!

Godz

Nice One That Is Mate.

Not Easy On Canadian Label.

Here's Another Variation I Have A Scan Of. (EAST COAST)

Parkway_P-949-A-3.gifParkway_P-949-B-3.gif

"LET'S FREDDIE"

Wonder if a DEMO for this exists too. :unsure:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Many Thanks.

In All My Years Collecting, Never Seen A Dutch Cameo-Parkway,

UNTIL RECENTLY Via These Scans.

I was the same with the two different label designs for UK President that I posted up last night. Go take a look. I know how interested you are in all things like this. :o)

Social source share

I was the same with the two different label designs for UK President that I posted up last night. Go take a look. I know how interested you are in all things like this. :o)

Yes Mate, Already Seen The Post About President.

At first I was drawn to the different Center 3 & 4 prong.

Looking at First Issue Second Issue, different press, etc.

Until pointed out about the different President Design.

How often have I looked through President Records throughout the years and never noticed this design change.

One reason for threads like this one about "Discotheque", I assumed that I knew most things about the various releases on Parkway.

Expected White DEMO East Coast, White DEMO West Coast.

Suddenly noticed a West Coast Yellow DEMO & East Coast Yellow DEMO. :lol:

Social source share

Yes Mate, Already Seen The Post About President.

At first I was drawn to the different Center 3 & 4 prong.

Looking at First Issue Second Issue, different press, etc.

Until pointed out about the different President Design.

How often have I looked through President Records throughout the years and never noticed this design change.

One reason for threads like this one about "Discotheque", I assumed that I knew most things about the various releases on Parkway.

Expected White DEMO East Coast, White DEMO West Coast.

Suddenly noticed a West Coast Yellow DEMO & East Coast Yellow DEMO. :lol:

Adds fun and interest to collecting, don't you think?

Social source share

Most Definitely, I find the subject fascinating.

Trying to piece together things that happened some 40 Years ago Plus.

Here is a Cameo Release that came out a couple of times as a B Side ?

(Surely A Side Material)

The Different DEMO Variations, Colour, Design, West Coast, East Coast.

More Questions than Answers, but as you say adds to the fun and Interest.

Cameo_C-347-B_YDJ.jpg

Cameo_C-347-B_DJ.jpgCameo_C-347-B.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S.A. Stock Copy (I have seen a White DEMO for this release & a Coloured DEMO)

CAMEO_C-382-B_DJ-2.gifCameo_C-382-B.jpg Just Acquired the Coloured DEMO

CANADIAN Stock Copy

Cameo_C-382X-2-1.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

What About This Release.

Promoted as a B Side in the U.K.

However;

Was Intended to be Promoted as an A Side in the U.S.A.

(Could be wrong but Not Sure If Many Others Changed "Plug Side" Across The Water)

Just another question regarding this release.

PopSike.com160198953033.jpg

PopSike.com4865917060.jpg

Social source share

Here is a Cameo Release that came out a couple of times as a B Side ?

(Surely A Side Material)

The Different DEMO Variations, Colour, Design, West Coast, East Coast.

More Questions than Answers, but as you say adds to the fun and Interest.

Cameo_C-347-B_YDJ.jpg

Cameo_C-347-B_DJ.jpgCameo_C-347-B.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S.A. Stock Copy (I have seen a White DEMO for this release & a Coloured DEMO)

Cameo_C-382-B.jpg

CANADIAN Stock Copy

Cameo_C-382X-2-1.jpg

This was reputedly released here in the UK as a Cameo Parkway Demo only!!!

Wonder if Mick Smith or Pete Smith could confirm that rumour?

Been after it for donkey's years. :o(

Have you ever heard this?

Social source share

This was reputedly released here in the UK as a Cameo Parkway Demo only!!!

Wonder if Mick Smith or Pete Smith could confirm that rumour?

Been after it for donkey's years. :o(

Have you ever heard this?

Heard the Same Rumour, but never seen a copy.

Hopefully they can confirm one way or another.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
:D As you may no I have have had a close association with Mick S for many years, The classic You Just Don't Know was believed to be recorded in the UK PYE studios as hence we have a Demo and Stock copy and it was not for many years that the US west coast Parkway DEMO was Found? as there is no east coast copy I have always assumed this was pressed purley for promotional reasons after the UK recording was made :lol: I have a similar issue about Ray Pollards DRIFFTER & A SAD THING as I own a few BILLBOARDS and in 66 the Alan Freeman article clearly states that Ray had recently been to London and laid down a few tracks, he mentions the Drifter & A Sad Thing as both being recorded at Mada Vale, as this record the Drifter had a few copies made by other EMI artists this could be true and the drifter is in fact one of the best UK soul records of all time?to prove this we need to know when the US copy came out before or after the UK, but even this does not %100 prove my case? :g: DAVE KIL
Social source share

:thumbup: As you may no I have have had a close association with Mick S for many years, The classic You Just Don't Know was believed to be recorded in the UK PYE studios as hence we have a Demo and Stock copy and it was not for many years that the US west coast Parkway DEMO was Found? as there is no east coast copy I have always assumed this was pressed purley for promotional reasons after the UK recording was made rolleyes.gif I have a similar issue about Ray Pollards DRIFFTER & A SAD THING as I own a few BILLBOARDS and in 66 the Alan Freeman article clearly states that Ray had recently been to London and laid down a few tracks, he mentions the Drifter & A Sad Thing as both being recorded at Mada Vale, as this record the Drifter had a few copies made by other EMI artists this could be true and the drifter is in fact one of the best UK soul records of all time?to prove this we need to know when the US copy came out before or after the UK, but even this does not %100 prove my case? :thumbup: DAVE KIL

Many Thanks For The Info.

Does Explain A Lot Regarding This Release & Others.

I Believe That There Was A Test Pressing Believed To Be East Coast Auctioned The Other Year With Written Credit.

Such An Amazing Record To Miss Out On A Release In The U.S.A.

J J Jackson Recorded "But It's Alright" In London. I Wonder How Many Others, Fascinating Stuff, Thanks Again.

Social source share

Many Thanks For The Info.

Does Explain A Lot Regarding This Release & Others.

I Believe That There Was A Test Pressing Believed To Be East Coast Auctioned The Other Year With Written Credit.

Such An Amazing Record To Miss Out On A Release In The U.S.A.

J J Jackson Recorded "But It's Alright" In London. I Wonder How Many Others, Fascinating Stuff, Thanks Again.

I have the vinyl test pressing Rodger. It has a faint written credit in pencil. The other side has an imprint of another CP release, can't remember what without looking, and looks like its been placed on or beneath a label whre the ink was still wet or something.

There was also a Christine Cooper test pressing of the same kind and possibly another one of another artists. John Manship will certainly be able to confirm that.

Social source share

I have the vinyl test pressing Rodger. It has a faint written credit in pencil. The other side has an imprint of another CP release, can't remember what without looking, and looks like its been placed on or beneath a label whre the ink was still wet or something.

There was also a Christine Cooper test pressing of the same kind and possibly another one of another artists. John Manship will certainly be able to confirm that.

Just looked. The imprint, obviously in reverse, is the Orlons, "No Love But Your Love" (Cameo 385 - 1965). There is a faint imprint on the YJDK side, which is presumably Envy ?

Social source share

Just looked. The imprint, obviously in reverse, is the Orlons, "No Love But Your Love" (Cameo 385 - 1965). There is a faint imprint on the YJDK side, which is presumably Envy ?

Many Thanks Steve

Gotta Be The Rarest Format, A One Off Press I Assume.

I Wonder If U.S.A. Chose To At Least Give It A Release Number Before Release In The U.K.

Guessing That The Release Number Would Have Been Controlled Stateside & U.K. Followed The Sequence.

As I Said Earlier, Fascinating Stuff, Thanks Again.

Social source share

Attached german sleeve for At the Discotheque. Nicked the scan from the auction I won for the pricely sum of 3.50 Euros :thumbsup:

post-1670-1239693292_thumb.jpg

Now that is a Nice Record To Own.

What kind of format does the Label have,

Looking At The Sleeve, I'm guessing Cameo-Parkway Similar to U.K. Design.

Social source share

Now that is a Nice Record To Own.

What kind of format does the Label have,

Looking At The Sleeve, I'm guessing Cameo-Parkway Similar to U.K. Design.

I'm not very familiar with the UK CP design but basically yes, similar. I don't have my copy of Discotheque here right now but attached scan of another german Chubby Checker release, label design is the same as on Discotheque

post-1670-1239732748_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I'm not very familiar with the UK CP design but basically yes, similar. I don't have my copy of Discotheque here right now but attached scan of another german Chubby Checker release, label design is the same as on Discotheque

post-1670-1239732748_thumb.jpg

Thanks Benji

Yes, It is the same as U.K. Design.

Actually, I'm Assuming that U.K. was first to use this amalgamated Title "Cameo-Parkway" I might be wrong.

Basically the CAMEO-PARKWAY Name & Using the U.S.A. Cameo Label Design.

Appears that only the Dutch Labels altered the Cameo Design.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Roger,

I Found my Dutch copy the other day. Will try to get it scanned or photographed and put it up here.

Also found I had the Oz copy too, which I'd totally forgotten about. :lol:

Looks verrrrry nice!

Sean

Sean, Sean, Sean!

How many copies of the darned thing do you need! I thought Jimmy Wensciora was obsessive - you've got him beat into the proverbial "cocked hat"!

Best,

RB

Social source share

Thanks Benji

Yes, It is the same as U.K. Design.

Actually, I'm Assuming that U.K. was first to use this amalgamated Title "Cameo-Parkway" I might be wrong.

The first german CP releases were very early 60s when Chubby Checker, Chiffons, etc. had their first hits. When was the first UK CP release? Who distributed Cameo-Parkway in the UK? In Germany all CP releases were licensed, manufactured and distributed by Ariola.

Social source share

The first german CP releases were very early 60s when Chubby Checker, Chiffons, etc. had their first hits. When was the first UK CP release? Who distributed Cameo-Parkway in the UK? In Germany all CP releases were licensed, manufactured and distributed by Ariola.

Have to correct myself, the first german releases licenced from CP came out on Ariola itself starting in the late 50s or so. They later introduced CP as a sub-label.

Social source share

Have to correct myself, the first german releases licenced from CP came out on Ariola itself starting in the late 50s or so. They later introduced CP as a sub-label.

Hi Benji

Thanks For Information

Similar U.K.

Just Checked RECORD COLLECTOR 2008

1959 - TOP RANK - CHUBBY CHECKER - THE CLASS

1960 - COLUMBIA - CHUBBY CHECKER - THE TWIST

1961 - COLUMBIA - CHUBBY CHECKER - LET'S TWIST AGAIN

1962 - COLUMBIA - CHUBBY CHECKER - DANCN' PARTY

1962 - PYE INTERNATIONAL - CHUBBY CHECKER - DANCN' PARTY (Re -Issue)

1962 - CAMEO-PARKWAY - CHUBBY CHECKER - LET'S TWIST AGAIN

-TO

1965 -

Keeping the Parkway Numbering System, With Amalgamated Cameo-Parkway - Cameo Based Label.

Social source share

Hi Roger,

I Found my Dutch copy the other day. Will try to get it scanned or photographed and put it up here.

Also found I had the Oz copy too, which I'd totally forgotten about. rolleyes.gif

Looks verrrrry nice!

Sean

Hi Sean

"Looks verrrrry nice!"

Looking forward to seeing the scans Mate.

Amazing how these releases traveled the Globe.

I'm starting to look even more to some of these

(Just been Concentrating on Bettye Swann "Make Me Yours"& Various Releases Around The Globe)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably the one you're thinking of, which made the trip from Waltham to Clowne some years back:

post-1819-1240652635_thumb.jpg

By the way, the writing is actually on the B-side which has a song called "Hes' A Bad Boy", which I believe is actually a cover version of a better known pop track (can't place the original artist tho'), the actual "Heartaches Away" side label is totally white. Bell Sound stamp in the run out both sides.

Social source share

This is probably the one you're thinking of, which made the trip from Waltham to Clowne some years back:

post-1819-1240652635_thumb.jpg

By the way, the writing is actually on the B-side which has a song called "Hes' A Bad Boy", which I believe is actually a cover version of a better known pop track (can't place the original artist tho'), the actual "Heartaches Away" side label is totally white. Bell Sound stamp in the run out both sides.

Many Thanks, That's The First Time I've Seen That.

A One Off Test Copy I Would Assume, Definitely Rarest Format.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Attached german sleeve for At the Discotheque. Nicked the scan from the auction I won for the pricely sum of 3.50 Euros :)

post-1670-1239693292_thumb.jpg

I've found a copy.

CAMEO-PARKWAY_18-294-AT_Kb.jpg

Arrived This Morning, German CAMEO-PARKWAY

CAMEO-PARKWAY_P-949-A.jpg

Here is my U.K. Copy. For Label Comparison.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

1959 - TOP RANK - CHUBBY CHECKER - THE CLASS

-

Most of these saw the light of day in Japan too...nice looking 7" tri-center Cameo labels with pic covers...some 10" mini-LPs too (rare).

Not found any of his Northern recordings yet, mind...can only live in hope.

:)

Social source share

• 4 months later...

QUOTE (45cellar @ Apr 16 09, 06:22 PM) 1959 - TOP RANK - CHUBBY CHECKER - THE CLASS

-

Most of these saw the light of day in Japan too...nice looking 7" tri-center Cameo labels with pic covers...some 10" mini-LPs too (rare).

Not found any of his Northern recordings yet, mind...can only live in hope.

shades.gif

Here's My Latest, Arrived This Morning, Brazil.

Brazil_FERMATE_FB-33105.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert