Pete S

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's a good bet they're 'repros' Pete

I couldn't tell you the differences in them, but I do know there were a lot of albums done like this back in the 90's (?)

I know these two were amongst them and being still sealed certainly sounds more likely they are not first issues.

Thanks John, much as I thought

Social source share

Same title - GSF 1009. Should I presume that this is a bootleg/reissue do you think? All matrix info is scratched in.

Also Hunts Determination Band - anyone know anything about them, two sealed albums look like private pressings?

I have the GSF skull snaps reissue, the cover is glossy, I think originals have more paperish covers.

Social source share

It's a good bet they're 'repros' Pete

I couldn't tell you the differences in them, but I do know there were a lot of albums done like this back in the 90's (?)

I know these two were amongst them and being still sealed certainly sounds more likely they are not first issues.

Most of 'em eminating from Scorpio in New Jersey........

Ian D :boxing:

Social source share

Most of 'em eminating from Scorpio in New Jersey........

Ian D :boxing:

Quite amazing how they get away with it.

Over the last decade and a half they've done reproductions of virtually every collectible soul and funk LP in existence. It's been suggested that they've obtained legal licensing rights to some of the product but I doubt it, as a few years ago they were putting out repros of Motown LPs like Edwin Starr's Soul Master and 25 Miles ... and Motown is one organisation that zealously guards its legal rights or charges like bulls if you want to license something...

Most of these repros are fairly easy to spot as they have digitally printed sleeves with the image on white cardboard and the vinyl is obviously differently pressed to the original. However, unless you've had an original issue of a particular LP actually pass through your hands, it can sometimes be difficult to tell, especially once the repro has had a bit of normal wear and tear on it and making it look "old".

I've never taken the time to check whether these repros also contain the matrix numbers of the original LPs, but funk and soul LP collectors continually get burned on ebay by sellers who can't tell the difference between the original and the repro. Familiar scenario to those on the northern scene isn't it?

The Joe Quarterman LP, like the The Skullsnaps LP, both on the GSF label, has a machine stamped Bell Sound marking in the run out, if my memory serves correct.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Over the last decade and a half they've done reproductions of virtually every collectible soul and funk LP in existence. It's been suggested that they've obtained legal licensing rights to some of the product but I doubt it, as a few years ago they were putting out repros of Motown LPs like Edwin Starr's Soul Master and 25 Miles ... and Motown is one organisation that zealously guards its legal rights or charges like bulls if you want to license something...

Most of these repros are fairly easy to spot as they have digitally printed sleeves with the image on white cardboard and the vinyl is obviously differently pressed to the original. However, unless you've had an original issue of a particular LP actually pass through your hands, it can sometimes be difficult to tell, especially once the repro has had a bit of normal wear and tear on it and making it look "old".

I've never taken the time to check whether these repros also contain the matrix numbers of the original LPs, but funk and soul LP collectors continually get burned on ebay by sellers who can't tell the difference between the original and the repro. Familiar scenario to those on the northern scene isn't it?

The Joe Quarterman LP, like the The Skullsnaps LP, both on the GSF label, has a machine stamped Bell Sound marking in the run out, if my memory serves correct.

GSF-S-1009.giffoxing.gif

Fox_800.gif

I Sold my copy of Sir Joe Quarterman last year.

Definitely Original & had foxing on the spine due to age etc.

Not sure if storage or glue under the Paper had caused this.

Described as such, these are the pictures from the sale.

I'll see if I can find the scan of the Deadwax.

Social source share

GSF-S-1009.giffoxing.gif

Fox_800.gif

I Sold my copy of Sir Joe Quarterman last year.

Definitely Original & had foxing on the spine due to age etc.

Not sure if storage or glue under the Paper had caused this.

Described as such, these are the pictures from the sale.

I'll see if I can find the scan of the Deadwax.

Yep, definite original Roger, and the inner surface of the cardboard sleeve is coloured brown (not white as on the repro).

Your original also shows the dull brown colour GSF label, whereas the label on the repro is brighter and shinier ...

Great & essential (funk) LP , you should never have sold it !

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Scorpio reissues are spot-able from a mile away. I could see how it might be hard to tell if you're looking at a small pic on ebay but if you seem them in real life I can't see how you would think they were originals. There are a few reissues done by other parties here in the states that are hard to tell apart. The Invaders "Spacing Out" being one. Mostly funk records so nothing most of you would ever have to worry about. :boxing: Also, some early and mid-80s titles have been reissued or booted and those can get confusing.

Social source share

Scorpio reissues are spot-able from a mile away. I could see how it might be hard to tell if you're looking at a small pic on ebay but if you seem them in real life I can't see how you would think they were originals. There are a few reissues done by other parties here in the states that are hard to tell apart. The Invaders "Spacing Out" being one. Mostly funk records so nothing most of you would ever have to worry about. :boxing: Also, some early and mid-80s titles have been reissued or booted and those can get confusing.

Yes, well, they may be spot-able for a regular LP enthusiast ... but for many on the northern scene, which is much more 45 orientated, one can easily be deceived, as is often the case with the Skull Snaps LP in relation to which many a northern collector has unfortunately been burned.

Social source share

Hunt's Determination made 2 LPs;

HUNT'S DETERMINATION

"THIS IS DETERMINATION PROBLEMS" (circa 1978 EARWAX)

(Prod. Stacie Hunt)

Best track - "Loneliness"

"GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER" (circa 1980 EARWAX)

(Prod. Ed Sommers & Ronnie Carson)

Best tracks - "Thinking of you"/"She's on my mind"/"You're my heart and soul"

The 1st LP is uninspiring funk, but the second one contains the brilliant 2 stop "Thinking of you". Expect to pay about £30 for each in mint condition.

Social source share

Bizarely enough, whilst for years thinking that Scorpio releases were total bootlegs, I know for a fact that a large number of their deals are 100% legal. Both Fantasy and Fania, for instance, definately license to them.

Social source share

Hunt's Determination made 2 LPs;

HUNT'S DETERMINATION

"THIS IS DETERMINATION PROBLEMS" (circa 1978 EARWAX)

(Prod. Stacie Hunt)

Best track - "Loneliness"

"GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER" (circa 1980 EARWAX)

(Prod. Ed Sommers & Ronnie Carson)

Best tracks - "Thinking of you"/"She's on my mind"/"You're my heart and soul"

The 1st LP is uninspiring funk, but the second one contains the brilliant 2 stop "Thinking of you". Expect to pay about £30 for each in mint condition.

Thanks for that. These would appear to be originals then, both are still sealed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert