Define 'mint' ?

everytime I attempt to sell records via SS I get emails and pms from folk asking " is it mint"?

I have always been under the impression that a MINT condition record is one that has never been played, no marks etc, now lets face it guys how many records 40 odd years old have you purchased have been unplayed??? so why do folk ask "is it mint"

Tonight I;ve had an enquiry for a record that I'm selling that is imo 1/3 of the normal price, three requests for info 2 of which have the proverbial" is it mint?"

Replied..." Ive played it probably no more than 10 times in 30 years so no, its not mint" the reply I recieved was jaw dropping suggesting my copy, based on the above info I offered should be deemed vg at best and a reduced offer relating to the above synopis included

SAKE :thumbsup: so will someone define MINT for me please as I clearly have no idea.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

everytime I attempt to sell records via SS I get emails and pms from folk asking " is it mint"?

I have always been under the impression that a MINT condition record is one that has never been played, no marks etc, now lets face it guys how many records 40 odd years old have you purchased have been unplayed??? so why do folk ask "is it mint"

Tonight I;ve had an enquiry for a record that I'm selling that is imo 1/3 of the normal price, three requests for info 2 of which have the proverbial" is it mint?"

Replied..." Ive played it probably no more than 10 times in 30 years so no, its not mint" the reply I recieved was jaw dropping suggesting my copy, based on the above info I offered should be deemed vg at best and a reduced offer relating to the above synopis included

SAKE :thumbsup: so will someone define MINT for me please as I clearly have no idea.

Hi Paul,

I have a Silvetti for sale, and it is still factory sealed, so that is MINT!!!

P :D

Social source share

Hi Paul,

I have a Silvetti for sale, and it is still factory sealed, so that is MINT!!!

P :thumbsup:

Dodgy,i have factory sealed stuff opened em' and pressin' faults....like this one.

gallery_1986_2576_487047.jpg

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

SAKE huh.gif so will someone define MINT for me please as I clearly have no idea.

polo,after eight and imperials they're always mint :D

Social source share

SAKE huh.gif so will someone define MINT for me please as I clearly have no idea.

It don't sound like you need the term 'mint' defined for you no.gif .......It's sounds more like you need to start using the 'block pm from this member' a little more :D:lol:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

I'd be very surprised if mine was not ok. I bought 2 the same time when it came out, one to play.

Money back if not delighted!!

P smile.gif

You never know till you break the seal Paup-ine,or you got xray vision :lol: dont leave it ten years before you open the other one unsure.gif i'm not bothered really,mine was free and only one track is really bad....Jocko say's he's as a tenner to spend for one,if you hurry :D

Social source share

You never know till you break the seal Paup-ine,or you got xray vision :lol: dont leave it ten years before you open the other one unsure.gif i'm not bothered really,mine was free and only one track is really bad....Jocko say's he's as a tenner to spend for one,if you hurry :D

Ys I know, I ain't got no x-ray vision!!

Cheers, I'm in no hurry!!!

P smile.gif

Social source share

SAKE :huh: so will someone define MINT for me please as I clearly have no idea.

If you've played it ten times but it still looks and sounds mint - well you can grade it as mint minus. I'd have graded it as EX or EX+, I'm starting to use EX even when I know a record hasn't been played but it has tiny marks from being removed from it's paper sleeve.

Social source share

tTo me a mint record should be as it was delivered to the store on it's first day of sale.

Once its been sat on a shelf with records been pulled from either side and its moved around in its sleeve (causing very light scuffs) then its mint-.

One or two plays to check condition would still qualify as mint- supposing no damage was caused.

As soon as its seen a couple of different stylus' then its EX, or VG+(+) in U.S. terms.

Social source share

I may of been one of those that asked for grading Paul but i dont think i asked if what i was after was mint or not as you didnt put any grading for the sales you put up, it would save you time and hassle if you graded each record you had for sale wether it is mint or not,

sorry not a dig just an observation :huh:

Bearsy

Social source share

tTo me a mint record should be as it was delivered to the store on it's first day of sale.

Once its been sat on a shelf with records been pulled from either side and its moved around in its sleeve (causing very light scuffs) then its mint-.

One or two plays to check condition would still qualify as mint-

please excuse me but i am fairly new to collecting but mint is surely a record that has NOT been played

if you bought a £20,000 "brand new car" from a dealer, turned up to pick up your pride and joy and it had 500 miles on the clock and a few hairline scratches in the paintwork would you be happy?

someone was recently selling a MINT CONDITION tune on here for over a grand - when i asked to confirm it was mint he said yes, i am tired of playing it out djing, only been played about 10 times

whats all that about???????????????

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Personally i've never used Mint and i'm even wary of using Mint minus, even for a really good looking record. As others have said i think Mint means unplayed and exactly as they were on the day of sale. I sold a Kings Go Forth recently, still in the paper sleeve, never played, that was Mint in my opinion. Mint minus to me means played only a few times (ten?) but retaining the condition it was originally bought it. Everything else that looks and plays well but has been around and played out many times is EX to me, maybe EX+. The problem comes with other gradings like VG+ and VG, i've bought VG+ expecting some wear and a bit of surface noise only to receive something i can barely hear the vocals on, that happens a lot.

So, to cap it all, the problem with giving EX and M- grade records the 'Mint' grade means that all the rubbish stuff is raised up to VG+ and VG, even G, where it simply should not be.

Social source share

One or two plays to check condition would still qualify as mint- supposing no damage was caused.

As soon as its seen a couple of different stylus' then its EX, or VG+(+) in U.S. terms.

I pretty much agree with this.

Social source share

I may of been one of those that asked for grading Paul but i dont think i asked if what i was after was mint or not as you didnt put any grading for the sales you put up, it would save you time and hassle if you graded each record you had for sale wether it is mint or not,

sorry not a dig just an observation :lol:

Bearsy

hence the original request, this grading bollocks is a nightmare and one which I honestly don't understand. I prefer to price the records I want to get rid of according to there label/vinyl quality offering a full refund to anyone that is not satisfied.

Remember I'm the bloke that refunded inc full senders post a copy of Johnny Sayles- I cant get enough because the receiver was miffed off with C9 written in biro on the label and this after reducing the price to £8 :)

Social source share

All this is well and good regarding the visual,,,but as for the audio..none of us have M or M- hearing. :lol:

In fact some are downright struggling at our age :) .

M ,,,,sucks on the company sleeve,leaving static dust on the vinyl /styrene.Unplayed.Label as leaving factory.

M-,,,,As above then..played a couple of times to verify clarity and no vinyl blips etc.Label as above.

Social source share

hence the original request, this grading bollocks is a nightmare and one which I honestly don't understand. I prefer to price the records I want to get rid of according to there label/vinyl quality offering a full refund to anyone that is not satisfied.

Remember I'm the bloke that refunded inc full senders post a copy of Johnny Sayles- I cant get enough because the receiver was miffed off with C9 written in biro on the label and this after reducing the price to £8 :lol:

wow,funnily enough i was in C9 when i was 8.

Social source share

Remember I'm the bloke that refunded inc full senders post a copy of Johnny Sayles- I cant get enough because the receiver was miffed off with C9 written in biro on the label and this after reducing the price to £8 :boxing:

Thats fair enough Paul, I havent bought from you before and its a trust thing buying records as ive been stung a couple of times and the tune i was asking about from you was valued at £600 and to me thats a fooking lot of dosh and as you say all this grading can be confusing so whats the best way of explaining the true grading at times, you under grade your record and the price then seems high and you cant sell it or you over grade and then you get slated for trying to con people for extra money, so its finding the happy medium i guess, btw, i didnt get the tune off you cos through my concerns of grading someone else nipped in and beat me too it, at least i know next time you have a money back no quibble garauntee with your tunes :boxing:

atb

Bearsy

Social source share

Thats fair enough Paul, I havent bought from you before and its a trust thing buying records as ive been stung a couple of times and the tune i was asking about from you was valued at £600 and to me thats a fooking lot of dosh and as you say all this grading can be confusing so whats the best way of explaining the true grading at times, you under grade your record and the price then seems high and you cant sell it or you over grade and then you get slated for trying to con people for extra money, so its finding the happy medium i guess, btw, i didnt get the tune off you cos through my concerns of grading someone else nipped in and beat me too it, at least i know next time you have a money back no quibble garauntee with your tunes :boxing:

atb

Bearsy

I have no problem whatsoever giving a full refund if someone is not happy with the merchandise purcahsed, they;re only bits of plastic anyway. :boxing:

Social source share

I have no problem whatsoever giving a full refund if someone is not happy with the merchandise purcahsed, they;re only bits of plastic anyway. :rolleyes:

very true Paul yes.gif

any old plastic your thinking of chucking away in future just send my way as im really into recycling right now :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I would never grade Mint, unless I knew it was old stock that had never seen a stylus. I use M- for those I consider totally unmarked, even if they have had some careful play. otherwise Ex, vg+ etc accordingly.

Never had any probs with my grading of sales (yet!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert