Guest soulboy

• Replies 200
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Soultown andy

And I bet they'd never phone when you're there. I've had something like this happen to me a long time ago too.

Never when im in pete ,and when they text the phone is always switched off immediatley.

Social source share

djs who play disco and refer to it as "modern/70s soul"

I could have picked up on dozens of things but I just wondered, who decides what's disco? I remember standing at an oldies do about 20 years ago (might have been more) earwigging two old fellas (well okay, about my current age) complaining that they had had to stop attending venues when they stopped playing Howling Wolf and started playing that "pop sheeet". That would make anything played from about 1969 on pop sheeet!

Any thoughts on the meaning of tolerance?

Regards,

RB

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I could have picked up on dozens of things but I just wondered, who decides what's disco?

I know a few idiots who dismiss anything after the 60's as 'disco' / 'pop' without even listening to it, in my opinion they are not into soul as such, its more an obsession with the 60's in general, i find that all a bit tedious and its the reason (one of at least) i quit the Mod scene. I love soul from all eras and if its good its good, i just cant stand blinkered types who blindly put down anything that doesnt fit into their little idea of what soul music should be - that and morons that put down a record if its worth less than £500 - lol!!!

Ste.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I know politics, ego,s and one up manship have been the down fall of this scene for years ,and i know a few real good dj,s who have sold up and gone forever due to this,is there any hope for us ?

I'm not sure that anyone who attends any type of Northern event will ever say that they hate it, find differences in it, but never hate it. It can be funny, sad, ecstatic, dull. Look at the photo's I've attached from what I found in the gallery that summed it up for me. thanks to James T & Dendog for their good visually depictions.

Social source share

I love soul from all eras and if its good its good, i just cant stand blinkered types who blindly put down anything that doesnt fit into their little idea of what soul music should be

I can't stand blinkered types who think that anything black is soul music and modern disco shit is Northern Soul

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I can't stand blinkered types who think that anything black is soul music and modern disco shit is Northern Soul

I agree...thats not what i was saying.

Ste.

Social source share

Even worse, people who think dire blue eyed stuff is 'soul' music! smile.gif

If you're going to be on the Northern scene Paul, first someone has to sit down and tell you the difference between 'soul' and 'northern soul' because it's evident that you haven't got a clue. For instance, you'll start telling people that I Can't Help Loving You by Paul Anka isn't Northern Soul because it's by a white Italian-American and not a black Afro-American, and thats why nobody can take any of you up-your-own-arse types seriously. No offence like.

Social source share

Guest Billy D

What do i hate most about the scene..................IDIOTS. frusty2.gif

I have just got back into the scene, I'm from The North East (Gateshead : Lowfell) and I'm an old Detroit Motown Lad (Lad : that was a few years ago) ....I know, you might think I'm stuck in a time warp, and you are more than likely correct, so no argument on that one .......I have gave the Modern Stuff a good try, and I cant seem to enjoy it as much as I enjoy The Detroit Sound of The Funk Brothers .....

So hope you understand ..........

Cheers

Billy

Social source share

I was chatting to a dj last year who's words to quote him " if it's cheap its shit " ... i was about to rant and say what a load of shite! but i could tell it would be flogging a dead horse...just couldnt understand that mind set..

I don't hate anything about the scene, as hate takes up too much of my energy and i got better things to use it on..but the 'Scene' just dissapoints me on a regular basis..

Concentrating on whats great about it, the people we're mates with and the tunes we love is what i'm about..

L

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I was chatting to a dj last year who's words to quote him " if it's cheap its shit " ... i was about to rant and say what a load of shite! but i could tell it would be flogging a dead horse...just couldnt understand that mind set..

Pretty common unfortunately, these people to me aren't soulies, its not about the music for them and they are usually the ones who dont seem to enjoy themselves, they are just trophy hunters to me, usually out to impress other trophy hunters...how dull.

Ste.

Social source share

Pretty common unfortunately, these people to me aren't soulies, its not about the music for them and they are usually the ones who dont seem to enjoy themselves, they are just trophy hunters to me, usually out to impress other trophy hunters...how dull.

Ste.

One of the best records ever made would only cost someone five pounds

JJ Barnes - Please Let Me In - Ric Tic

Social source share

I have just got back into the scene, I'm from The North East (Gateshead : Lowfell) and I'm an old Detroit Motown Lad (Lad : that was a few years ago) ....I know, you might think I'm stuck in a time warp, and you are more than likely correct, so no argument on that one .......I have gave the Modern Stuff a good try, and I cant seem to enjoy it as much as I enjoy The Detroit Sound of The Funk Brothers .....

So hope you understand ..........

Cheers

Billy

Thats because most of it is rubbish Billy. Stick to your guns, doesn't get any better than Detroit 60's soul

Social source share

I'd like to quote DUNDEE DAVIE as these are my favourite parts of this discussion

what i also hate is people who say things like " if you don't like this you don't like soul music " about some wishy-washy crossover tune with as much balls as a convent ....i'm perfectly capable of deciding what i like .

lump along with that the holier than though attitude of " i like all era's me" , well bully for you now off ya pop and polish yer halo somewhere else

Social source share

If you're going to be on the Northern scene Paul, first someone has to sit down and tell you the difference between 'soul' and 'northern soul' because it's evident that you haven't got a clue. For instance, you'll start telling people that I Can't Help Loving You by Paul Anka isn't Northern Soul because it's by a white Italian-American and not a black Afro-American, and thats why nobody can take any of you up-your-own-arse types seriously. No offence like.

Paul Anka is just a crap record. As is Camp, Kiki Dee, Jeanette Harper, The Present...Tommy Steele and almost everything else in your play box Pete. "Nobody"? Dont you mean No,No,No,No,No,No, No, .....you can put the Human Beinz in there aswell! laugh.gif Shit taste in music Pete, thats why a lot of people cant stand you 'dogmatic, tasteless, throw back types! :lol:

Social source share

Paul Anka is just a crap record. As is Camp, Kiki Dee, Jeanette Harper, The Present...Tommy Steele and almost everything else in your play box Pete. "Nobody"? Dont you mean No,No,No,No,No,No, No, .....you can put the Human Beinz in there aswell! laugh.gif Shit taste in music Pete, thats why a lot of people cant stand you 'dogmatic, tasteless, throw back types! :lol:

What in the name of all thats holy do you know about my 'playbox', have you ever seen a list of what records I play? Have you actually ever seen any of my records? Have you actually ever met me to look through my records?

actually last time out I played Chapter Five. I always play Chapter Five.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

What in the name of all thats holy do you know about my 'playbox', have you ever seen a list of what records I play? Have you actually ever seen any of my records? Have you actually ever met me to look through my records?

Have you ever looked to see whats up my arse? laugh.gif NO!

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Paul Anka is just a crap record.

Surely taste in music is subjective. Its not a personal fave of mine but each to their own and that.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I'd like to quote DUNDEE DAVIE as these are my favourite parts of this discussion

lump along with that the holier than though attitude of " i like all era's me" , well bully for you now off ya pop and polish yer halo somewhere else

Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn........ laugh.gif

Ste.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I don't hate anything about the scene, as hate takes up too much of my energy and i got better things to use it on..but the 'Scene' just dissapoints me on a regular basis..

Concentrating on whats great about it, the people we're mates with and the tunes we love is what i'm about..

L

Sadly there are plenty of these idiots about. Elitists with superiority complexes. I dont waste my time with the likes. The wrost thing Ive ever heard is that people with an eclectic taste in Soul music dont really have a passion for Soul. Some one said that to me recently. I pointed out I thought that it was an utter nonsense.

Social source share

Surely taste in music is subjective. Its not a personal fave of mine but each to their own and that.

Of course it is. I totally agree. That is just my opinion. In the same way some people like black soul music and not white pop, some people like white pop and not black soul music. Each to his own. yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Sadly there are plenty of these idiots about. Elitists with superiority complexes. I dont waste my time with the likes. The wrost thing Ive ever heard is that people with an eclectic taste in Soul music dont really have a passion for Soul. Some one said that to me recently. I pointed out I thought that it was an utter nonsense.

It is, complete nonsense?

Social source share

Of course it is. I totally agree. That is just my opinion. In the same way some people like black soul music and not white pop, some people like white pop and not black soul music. Each to his own. yes.gif

And some like some black soul music and some white pop but not other black soul or white pop. I like what I like no matter what pigeon hole someone puts it in. (Mind you doesn't mean I'd play everything I liked at a soul do :lol: )

Social source share

Just re read it PETE. So, you must be one of the 'guys' who decides what NORTHERN SOUL is? Should bring out a guide like jms to point people in the right direction.... Im not on the 'Northern' soul scene...its too dogmatic, apathetic, bombastic and bigotted for me! smile.gif But I was on it for a lot of years and im afraid, for me, Paul Anka was always a shite tune!

Social source share

People who tell me what to like

People who tell me 70's disco is a natural progression of northern soul

People who would sell their children and their friends for a Dj spot....actually this reminds me of the types of people who appeared on 'the word' and licked a grannys armpit just to get on telly.....but worse!!!!

Friends djin for friends and the friends returning the favour...same do different venue.

People who post on here saying do's are fantastic just so those people attend theirs

Patronising w**kers

'Till Late' on flyers

The scene reflects life so there is good and bad I have met some of the nicest people in the world through the soul scene and also some of the lowest scum bags......hey thats life. Avoid the bad, vote with your feet and remember...Its all about the tunes..

Helen

Just got round to reading most of the posts on this thread and I have to say that Helen is pretty close to a lot of my views with the above.

To paraphrase a bit the scene is like life - shit in bits and fantastic in others so take and make of it what you will.

Mark.

Social source share

And some like some black soul music and some white pop but not other black soul or white pop. I like what I like no matter what pigeon hole someone puts it in. (Mind you doesn't mean I'd play everything I liked at a soul do :lol: )

True. I wouldn,t play EVERYTHING I liked at a soul do. BUT, I wouldn't play anything I didn't like! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Of course it is. I totally agree. That is just my opinion. In the same way some people like black soul music and not white pop, some people like white pop and not black soul music. Each to his own. :yes:

And some people like black soul music and some blue eyed soul artists as well e.g. Dean Parrish and Chris Clark spring to mind. Are their records not Soul simply because they are not black?

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

L

Superbly put ! :yes:

Social source share

Not sure about you Paul but I can't afford to buy records I don't like there's too many that I do like. :D

Sorry Ged, your really being a bit slow today, so ill rephrase...I only have records that I do like. As oppossed to a lot of djs who seem to have what they think is required by the largely dogmatic Northern Soul scene to save them from being lynched whilst djing. :yes:

Social source share

Black vs White, the old chestnut. I'm of the opinion that the blue-eyed argument is a bit of a tightrope.

I love Danny Wagner, Bob Brady & The Conchords & some of the Magnificent Men stuff. These guys definitely ploughed a black furrow in my opinion. The great Bob Babbit came from that tradition. Some records that have been played on the scene, as I see it, don't plough that furrow and they are the ones that generally leave me cold. Jeanette Harper, Barbara Mills, Peggy March, Jackie Trent, Barry St.John, Helen Shapiro etc. A lot of it sounds like cod Bacharach David to me, though I did try to listen with an open mind, I found I just couldn't stomach it. I don't think that's an elitist position, just a matter of taste, which Gawd knows can be very subjective at times. I've advocated Feliz Cavaliere's Young Rascals on here before. Probably America's greatest 'blue-eyed' band, & when I say 'blue-eyed', I mean white artists that evidently plough the aforesaid furrow bla, bla, bla.

Social source share

And some people like black soul music and some blue eyed soul artists as well e.g. Dean Parrish and Chris Clark spring to mind. Are their records not Soul simply because they are not black?

Not at all...I like 'Tindersticks' because they are soulful and Piaf and a lot of other stuff. BUT, there was and are a lot of shit pop records on the 'Northern' scene! Dean has a great voice. its easy to pick artists to pursue any point. Fact is between the crap instrumentals and dire blue eyed soul (not the few good tracks) there is a lot of shit floating about in the Northern soul world. :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert