What Do You Most Hate About The Scene

Guest soulboy

Not at all...I like 'Tindersticks' because they are soulful and Piaf and a lot of other stuff. BUT, there was and are a lot of shit pop records on the 'Northern' scene! Dean has a great voice. its easy to pick artists to pursue any point. Fact is between the crap instrumentals and dire blue eyed soul (not the few good tracks) there is a lot of shit floating about in the Northern soul world. :D

Trouble is, in a thread 3 years old someone says they like Kiki Dee so I comment 'oh yeah I quite like that too' and the next thing, you Paul are having me pull it out of my dj box as my hot new tip for the top :yes:

when I haven't even got the record. Some memory you have there.

Social source share

• Replies 200
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Trouble is, in a thread 3 years old someone says they like Kiki Dee so I comment 'oh yeah I quite like that too' and the next thing, you Paul are having me pull it out of my dj box as my hot new tip for the top :yes:

when I haven't even got the record. Some memory you have there.

Yes, sure you havent got it! :D

Social source share

Yes, sure you havent got it! :yes:

No, but just for you, I am going to honestly tell you ALL* of the blue eyed Northern records that I own.

Ready?

On British:

Chapter Five

Dennis Dell

Lynn Randell

Samantha Jones

Manchesters Playboys

Barry St John

Ray Merrell

Bruce Scott

Susan maughan

on USA

actually too many to list*

Bellboys, Gary Haines, The Babies, Paul Anka, Adams Apples, Capreez, Eddie Regan, Beverly Ann, Embers, Rain, Ron Holden, Ben Zine, David & The Giants, Toni Basil etc etc

I love em all

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Dont forget Ray Merrell, an Irish Country singer from Cavan I believe whose "Tears of joy" is a big Northern record and one I quite like. Reminds me of the Righteous Brothers.

Social source share

Guest Billy D

Thats because most of it is rubbish Billy. Stick to your guns, doesn't get any better than Detroit 60's soul

Hi Pete S .......

Cheers for that .....A Man who knows his music, ......they could never ever produce the same sound from The Funk Brothers today .....not even with all the buttons and flashing lights they have.....

Keep it Detroit.....

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Not at all...I like 'Tindersticks' because they are soulful and Piaf and a lot of other stuff. BUT, there was and are a lot of shit pop records on the 'Northern' scene! Dean has a great voice. its easy to pick artists to pursue any point. Fact is between the crap instrumentals and dire blue eyed soul (not the few good tracks) there is a lot of shit floating about in the Northern soul world. :unsure:

Indeed there are plenty of crap records that get spun on the Soul scene.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

No, but just for you, I am going to honestly tell you ALL* of the blue eyed Northern records that I own.

Ready?

On British:

Chapter Five

Dennis Dell

Lynn Randell

Samantha Jones

Manchesters Playboys

Barry St John

Ray Merrell

Bruce Scott

Susan maughan

on USA

actually too many to list*

Bellboys, Gary Haines, The Babies, Paul Anka, Adams Apples, Capreez, Eddie Regan, Beverly Ann, Embers, Rain, Ron Holden, Ben Zine, David & The Giants, Toni Basil etc etc

I love em all

And you call 70's 'disco shite'. What a bizarre world we live in.

Social source share

i hate people who think that there opinions are more valid than others.i dislike people who need a record to be be played on original vinyl only(as a dancer i only care about the record not if it is ovo)i can see the point of not playing cds etc but records are records to a majority of punter.

Social source share

i hate people who think that there opinions are more valid than others.i dislike people who need a record to be be played on original vinyl only(as a dancer i only care about the record not if it is ovo)i can see the point of not playing cds etc but records are records to a majority of punter.

get a grip

laugh.gif

Social source share

Dont forget Ray Merrell, an Irish Country singer from Cavan I believe whose "Tears of joy" is a big Northern record and one I quite like. Reminds me of the Righteous Brothers.

I have a fantastic 45 'Memories' by Jeanie Robertson on Derby records. The only information I can find on a singer called Jeanie Robertson is a country singer from Scotland. Surely not?

Social source share

Hi Pete S .......

Cheers for that .....A Man who knows his music, ......they could never ever produce the same sound from The Funk Brothers today .....not even with all the buttons and flashing lights they have.....

Keep it Detroit.....

Just put that CD I promised you in the post Billy - lot's of Detroit stuff on it.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

Guest Billy D

Just put that CD I promised you in the post Billy - lot's of Detroit stuff on it.

All the best

Manus

Hi Manus,

Brillaint .....drink in it for you when you come back to The North East.........hows stuff with you?....I'm looking forward to The Swallow Hotel Soul Night on the 20th Feb, always a top night, Dave Mason and Mad Matty Turner allways do the last spot ....they have the floor packed ........maybe when you come back you could do a spot !!!!!!!......its on every 2nd Month .

Thanks again Manus

Billy

Social source share

Hi Manus,

Brillaint .....drink in it for you when you come back to The North East.........hows stuff with you?....I'm looking forward to The Swallow Hotel Soul Night on the 20th Feb, always a top night, Dave Mason and Mad Matty Turner allways do the last spot ....they have the floor packed ........maybe when you come back you could do a spot !!!!!!!......its on every 2nd Month .

Thanks again Manus

Billy

There's an Events section for advertising you know shades.gif

Social source share

Guest Billy D

There's an Events section for advertising you know :thumbsup:

No problem .....I did not know about the section for advertising ....as I'm new on here ....please be gentle with me ........

Cheers

Billy from Up North

Social source share

Hi Manus,

Thanks again Manus

Billy

See you up at the Swallow later in the year Billy :thumbsup:

Cheers Manus

Social source share

People on here who post the title of the record....then what label it's on.

Well done. You've spent most of your lives memorising the labels, take any prize from the middle shelf. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Only thing i hate is the fact that i can't find rare soul records in warehouses and thrift stores and secondhand shops, record shops or even record fairs anymore...

Mind, thats not the scene is it , thats just the real world. Damn, I got the two mixed up.

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I know politics, ego,s and one up manship have been the down fall of this scene for years ,and i know a few real good dj,s who have sold up and gone forever due to this,is there any hope for us ?

One up Manship? - sounds painful! :lol::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Well done. You've spent most of your lives memorising the labels, take any prize from the middle shelf. :lol:

But to be fair, that's a help to those younger folk who are not familiar with the record isn't it? :ohmy:

Social source share

Well done. You've spent most of your lives memorising the labels, take any prize from the middle shelf. :lol:

Err Andy... most of us collect records. We ENJOY talking about records, sharing info about records as well as listening to 'em. What's wrong with that? Can you name the Forest side who won the European Cup? If so...well done! "You've spent your life memorising a load of has been footballers, take any prize from the middle shelf." :ohmy:

Social source share

i disagree mate, ive heard loads of tunes on here that i didnt know and artist name, title of song,label info are very important to me so i can look for it in lists etc to see if i can buy one on orig vinyl or cd if not, theres records ive known for years and not known original label its on etc, also its good for the newbies and younger folk to get as much info as possible

Social source share

On the other hand, I'm not too chuffed that some folk think that those who "like all eras" are being (or even trying to be) holier than thou

We don't 'think' owt mate - we are just in control of our love of black music, a love of black music that doesn't end at a particular point - we further it - keep it alive.

That's us!

Lovers of black music, not people that cut off.

If you are of the train of thought that doesn't envelope progression of black music, then sit in your own shit.

Mike (Posstot),

Social source share

On the other hand, I'm not too chuffed that some folk think that those who "like all eras" are being (or even trying to be) holier than thou

We don't 'think' owt mate - we are just in control of our love of black music, a love of black music that doesn't end at a particular point - we further it - keep it alive.

That's us!

Lovers of black music, not people that cut off at any given point.

If you are of the train of thought that doesn't envelope the progression of black music, then sit in your own shit, as you are simply being hypocritical - surely, as you have bought 'Northern' produced over a certain span of years, yes.

And to Mike Hawkins, I'll refrain from the obvious answer that I should give your response, as, as much as you may think that your view is of more importance than mine Mike - it ain't mate.

It's a shame what's happened with us mate, and for what?

Social source share

Err Andy... most of us collect records. We ENJOY talking about records, sharing info about records as well as listening to 'em. What's wrong with that? Can you name the Forest side who won the European Cup? If so...well done! "You've spent your life memorising a load of has been footballers, take any prize from the middle shelf." :D

Oh sorry. I thought the thread was about what you hate on the scene, not what you like.

Can you name the Forest side that won the european cup?

Which year mate? cool.gif

Social source share

Andy, an honest question, why are you on this site?

Apart from your dubious political views on a 'Black music forum' you're now questioning why people would want to know what label a record is on, well i & many others are very interested!

If we were just interested in the title of a record we can just go & buy a cd down HMV, believe it or not a lot are on this forum because we are interested to share knowledge & learn more about NS from very knowledgeable people on here.

Simon

Social source share

People who tell me 70's disco is a natural progression of northern soul

Somebody who tells me they don't like "70's disco" then you see them dancing to Eddie Holman, The Brothers, Brainstorm, Skip Mahoney, Alfie Davison etc. - THIS IS DISCO!!

People who say to a DJ "you don't know what northern soul is" because the said DJ is playing a group of records that the person doesn't know & that person can't be bothered to listen because hes is waiting for "that Frankie Wilson" tune to come on.

Over 50s still sporting the "uniform" of soul bags & badges - it was cringeworthy in 1977 & the "look" has not improved 30 years on.

Social source share

Apart from your dubious political views on a 'Black music forum' you're now questioning why people would want to know what label a record is on, well i & many others are very interested!

If we were just interested in the title of a record we can just go & buy a cd down HMV, believe it or not a lot are on this forum because we are interested to share knowledge & learn more about NS from very knowledgeable people on here.

Simon

certainly helps me out when trying to establish if a record is a boot or not :D

Social source share

I like that refosoul section...merrily clicking on & most of the time off, but then the odd gem pops up & I love it, then while its playing I bugger about on the forum.

Apart from your dubious political views on a 'Black music forum'
Eh? I'm no racist... hate racism in fact.

you're now questioning why people would want to know what label a record is on, well i & many others are very interested!
No I'm not questioning it...I said I can't stand it. I know full well why people mention it, I just think its a bit 'show off'.

See, 60's detroit, 70's crossover, modern whatever...couldn't give a rats cock eh...if it sounds good, gerrup & dance!!

laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

people who think the further they travel the more of a soul fan they are :D

and people who say to me at prestatyn, "this is nice and local for you" laugh.gif

Social source share

I like that refosoul section...merrily clicking on & most of the time off, but then the odd gem pops up & I love it, then while its playing I bugger about on the forum.

Eh? I'm no racist... hate racism in fact.

No I'm not questioning it...I said I can't stand it. I know full well why people mention it, I just think its a bit 'show off'.

See, 60's detroit, 70's crossover, modern whatever...couldn't give a rats cock eh...if it sounds good, gerrup & dance!!

laugh.gif

Oh dear Andy :( .Majority of folk on here do give a rats about labels etc.

Hope you're not suggesting playlists are not wholly true? :D .Showing off ,no.If you've got nowt to hide whats the harm?.

btw, i've got a print of the Mona Lisa hanging up in the living room.Eat your heart out LOUVRE :lol: .

Social source share

my pet hate is to turn up at a "northern soul night" to find its really a 50th b/day party or anniversary/charity thing ,balloons and posters, with uncle fred and granny grunt sat in the corner eating the buffett and tapin their toes to "third finger left hand"..........ezzie

Post of the week Ezzie.... :lol: ...

The two worst things in the world would be balloons and the Casuleers playing over the sound system :D .. Time to chew into that death pill i have been saving shades.gif ..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert