What Do You Most Hate About The Scene

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

I know politics, ego,s and one up manship have been the down fall of this scene for years ,and i know a few real good dj,s who have sold up and gone forever due to this,is there any hope for us ?

Social source share

• Replies 200
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just like a good family row...this scene thrives on it...fook know there has always been heated disusions... :D .....anybody disagree with that :thumbsup: .....Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

I know politics, ego,s and one up manship have been the down fall of this scene for years ,and i know a few real good dj,s who have sold up and gone forever due to this,is there any hope for us ?

The Disco crap that get's played

Social source share

Guest kev such

The Disco crap that get's played

Hear hear.

My hate of the scene has got to be people who constantly say " you cant play them tunes anymore, because we did that 20 or 30 years ago its been done, move on" :thumbsup::D

Kev ( dont do modern cos im a dinosaur) Such

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

love the bits l like that are run and attended by honest folk...5%, the other 95% are there for money only,ego (wannabes) and to be somebody. wink.gif:D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

people who can't stand the music and only got into it for the trousers.

not many like the music,most go for the social side.

Social source share

I'll tell you what I hate most about this scene, although I'm not too sure wether it is the scene's fault or just the fact that being involved within a scene brings about certain reactions from people that are socially unavoidable.

Anyway.

A lad I know, that will be known to some of you, who got into the Northern scene late...who, since his inception it seems that every time our paths have crossed the whole content of his conversation has spun around how shit he thinks certain factions of the scene are.

Before he became a 'blood-soulie' he was a lovely, amiable kinds guy - not so anymore.

This scene appears to breed negativity.

Everybody appears to be able to do a better job, play a better record, promote a better night - than the target of their venom.

It strikes me as funny that people who give so much of their lives up, in their middle ages, miss the simple fact that nobody's views are wrong, they are just different to their own and this isn't the basis for a slanging match twixt their immediate group about how crap relevant others are.

It's all, sadly, one-upmanship.

Social source share

People who pigeonhole music because it was made in a certain year or judge music by it's rarity above it's quality.

Good Soul music is just that regardless of wether it was made in the early 1960's or last week & also regardless of wether it cost a fiver or five grand.

Social source share

People who pigeonhole music because it was made in a certain year or judge music by it's rarity above it's quality.

Good Soul music is just that regardless of wether it was made in the early 1960's or last week & also regardless of wether it cost a fiver or five grand. At last some sense, I totally agree with you Mart thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest soulboy

I'll tell you what I hate most about this scene, although I'm not too sure wether it is the scene's fault or just the fact that being involved within a scene brings about certain reactions from people that are socially unavoidable.

Anyway.

A lad I know, that will be known to some of you, who got into the Northern scene late...who, since his inception it seems that every time our paths have crossed the whole content of his conversation has spun around how shit he thinks certain factions of the scene are.

Before he became a 'blood-soulie' he was a lovely, amiable kinds guy - not so anymore.

Everybody appears to be able to do a better job, play a better record, promote a better night - than the target of their venom.

It strikes me as funny that people who give so much of their lives up, in their middle ages, miss the simple fact that nobody's views are wrong, they are just different to their own and this isn't the basis for a slanging match twixt their immediate group about how crap relevant others are.

great post your right just how i feel ,Soul in the sun was the best feeling iv had about the scene for years loads of real nice people put my faith back in to it all !

Social source share

life was never going to be perfect so why should the Soul Scene be any different, its there for what you want out of it and if some things on the way aint quite how you like it then so what, move on and look forward to what you do like :lol:

who cares what someone else is doing just do your own thing and remember its a passion, obsession, hobby, love and to some a way of life but above all that its there to be enjoyed so just enjoy it thumbup.gif

any of you negative souls going out tonight unsure.gif I am and i will have a good time too :lol: wherever you go have a goodun :D

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

we (me and my mates ) were only into it for the dancing from the first time at youth club untill 2 last night at twisted wheel and nothing has changed still dont know what popcorn is or the differance between rnb and soul and the best cross over merchant is still mr beckham but hey maybe one day Ill wont to be a dj then what ...............

so in short wallflowers

Edited by spudmurphy
Social source share

Anyway.

Again with the JM reference!!. :huh: .

Too many dj's,,,,too many clubs/venues,,not enough people to go round..............pass me the rope.

Reef knot anyone.?

Social source share

Good Soul music is just that regardless of wether it was made in the early 1960's or last week & also regardless of wether it cost a fiver or five grand.

Here bloody here, well said that man :huh:

Social source share

PEOPLE:-

WHO FEEL THREATENED BY OTHERS

WHO THINK THEY RUN THE SCENE

WHO MOCK OTHERS KNOWLEDGE OR THE LACK OF IT

WHO THINK BUYING EXPENSIVE RECORDS GAURANTEES DJ STARDOM

WHO COME ON FORUMS AND STIR UP S**T TO GAIN NOTORIETY

WHO SLAG OFF VENUES TO PROMOTE THEIR OWN

WHO PROMOTE VENUES JUST TO ELEVATE THEMSELVES AND THIER OWN SELF IMPORTANCE

WHO WRITE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ,IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING GOOD TO SAY,THEN SAY NOTHING!

YOU DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD, SO COME OUT OF YOURSELVES ,TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AND ASK YOURSELVES

WHAT POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION AM I MAKING FOR THE SCENE :huh:

Social source share

Anyway.

How very bl**dy true!.

Jayne.x

Social source share

WHO WRITE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ,IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING GOOD TO SAY,THEN SAY NOTHING!

YOU DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD, SO COME OUT OF YOURSELVES ,TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AND ASK YOURSELVES

WHAT POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION AM I MAKING FOR THE SCENE :yes:

Here bloody here Nev spot on mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

off topic

can someone put a popcorn song on here and an r n b and a crossover and also a northern just so i can see the differance

you see im confused or ill informed or thick or maybe all of them

Social source share

Guest Aberdeen Soul

WHAT POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION AM I MAKING FOR THE SCENE :yes:

well said, whole heartedly agree, the same up here in the north-east of scotland.

Social source share

off topic

can someone put a popcorn song on here and an r n b and a crossover and also a northern just so i can see the differance

you see im confused or ill informed or thick or maybe all of them

right then I'll start :thumbup: press my last played clip----------fook that was the easy one wasn't it biggrin.gif:yes::):D:yes:

Social source share

People who wouldn,t know a SOUL record if it hit them straight in the ears and only respond to records when certain big name DJ,s play them while all along they have heard the same record on many occasions but played by lesser known individuals, you know the scenario "have you heard that record that so and so is playing now f-----g brill isn,t it" "hold on a minute mate, so and so has been playing it and you haven,t mentioned it before now"

Kev

Social source share

WHO WRITE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ,IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING GOOD TO SAY,THEN SAY NOTHING! ...... as Gia Mateo said................

WHAT POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION AM I MAKING FOR THE SCENE g.gif

...... :thumbup: WELL SAID.................. AND UNFORTUNATLEY TOO TRUE :yes:

Ms 'Boop'

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy
right then I'll start :thumbup: press my last played clip----------fook that was the easy one wasn't it biggrin.gif:yes::):D:yes:
jez where are putting that then mate
Social source share

I never liked the music much, or the trousers for that matter. I mainly got into the scene to improve my UK geography, which was, quite frankly, appalling.

So I spent 25 years learning the ropes - could navigate from the M1 to the Wilton Ballroom whilst blindfolded, guided a minibus of locals to the Shotts allniter without a wrong turn, got to the Ritz without ever ending up in Canal Street, parked on a sixpence within 100 yards of the 100 Club, could tell you which motorway services had the best coffee and toilets. You name it, Logic Woman could get you there.

Then some bastard invents SatNav...

Social source share

Maybe, but it doesn't mean it should be forced on people as being representitive of "Northern Soul", just because it's soulful doesn't mean it's right for Northern consumption

Social source share

I never liked the music much, or the trousers for that matter. I mainly got into the scene to improve my UK geography, which was, quite frankly, appalling.

So I spent 25 years learning the ropes - could navigate from the M1 to the Wilton Ballroom whilst blindfolded, guided a minibus of locals to the Shotts allniter without a wrong turn, got to the Ritz without ever ending up in Canal Street, parked on a sixpence within 100 yards of the 100 Club, could tell you which motorway services had the best coffee and toilets. You name it, Logic Woman could get you there.

Then some bastard invents SatNav...

I even love Sat Nav. It saved my marriage  :yes::thumbup:laugh.gif

Social source share

jez where are putting that then mate

mmmmmmmmmmmmm after much deliberation(about a millisecond) that'll have to go in the Northern category :yes: .

seriously though I know what you mean about different 'types' of music popcorn etc. To me it either sounds northern or it dunna.

Mind you Im a thick b*gger anyway :thumbup:biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

what i also hate is people who say things like " if you don't like this you don't like soul music " about some wishy-washy crossover tune with as much balls as a convent ....i'm perfectly capable of deciding what i like .

lump along with that the holier than though attitude of " i like all era's me" , well bully for you now off ya pop and polish yer halo somewhere else

Social source share

what i also hate is people who say things like " if you don't like this you don't like soul music " about some wishy-washy crossover tune with as much balls as a convent ....i'm perfectly capable of deciding what i like .

lump along with that the holier than though attitude of " i like all era's me" , well bully for you now off ya pop and polish yer halo somewhere else

Couldn't have put it better myself.

:yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert