Cd Recording Again

Question for Frank and other resident technical consultants, thankfully you dont charge their fees !!,

Having played my increasingly rare 7"s for years on dansettes and other such sophisticated equipment thought should invest in something remotely decent, hedging against increasing prices of decent turntables went for decks, simple set up, couple of Stantons and Numark Mixer with 2 active speakers. Works very well, (too well according to my other half :D ) however have introduced a cdr to the mix ( :shades: ), the Phillips cdr from RS, this plays out okay but when recording its at a very low level. Have been advised I need pre amp, but was wondering if you can actually adjust recording volume, either at the cdr stage or at the burning stage (always use PC to burn cds). Any help greatly received, if preamp is only option (have no problem with this but as am suffering equipment overload) can anyone suggest a fairly decent one and where to purchase (richer sounds being my normal choice where possible). Apologies if simple question but when it comes to audio equipment I am a simpleton!

Thanks in advance, Mr Murphy if you are again the advisor will buy you a pint at play in week or so as am assuming you will be there!

Cheers

Jock

PS Susbidary question, on Phillips cdr 2 cd components (1) to record the other (2) to play or record from, cannot open the 2nd one at all, not a problem as can play from the first but just wondered if I was doing something stupid.... again!!

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

Sounds like the mixer doesn't have enough gain for the CD recorder, as I suspect that it is fixed at a standard output level from its source (like a tape deck) which your mixer probably doesn't have. I don't know for sure mind.

Anyhow, you would be best off dumping the mixer and getting a proper amplifier, you could sell what would then be a surplus deck to fund it. Mixers for domestic use are generally a pile of crap at the end of the day, full of cheap components and retailed at a massive mark up against the sum of the parts (unless you get one of those amazing American ones). Unless, of course, you are mixing and scratching, or doing Tony Blackburn impressions. In which case I hope that you don't do that with decent records!

Social source share

Question for Frank and other resident technical consultants, thankfully you dont charge their fees !!,

went for decks, simple set up, couple of Stantons and Numark Mixer with 2 active speakers. Works very well, (too well according to my other half  :D ) however have introduced a cdr to the mix ( :shades: ), the Phillips cdr from RS, this plays out okay but when recording its at a very low level. Have been advised I need pre amp,

Thanks in advance, Mr Murphy if you are again the advisor will buy you a pint at play in week or so as am assuming you will be there!

Your mixer is your pre amp. There should be switches above each SLIDE FADER. have them pointing towards PHONO. make sure your decks are plugged into the PHONO in on your mixer. I know nothing about Phillips CD recorders. Pete Smith is your man for that. However when you pre fade the record the LED display on the mixer should be peaking at one Orange Bar. ie it should light all the way up to orange but not turn red. Adjust using SLIDE FADER and GAIN/TRIM KNOB You should have a phono lead going from the RECORD outs on your mixer to LINE IN on your CD recoder. If there is no RECORD out use the AMP phonos and feed your speakers from the BOOTH/ZONE (have your BASS, MID, TREBLE KNOBS at 12 O'Clock)

This should give you a decent level to record at.

PS Susbidary question, on Phillips cdr 2 cd components (1)  to record the other (2)  to play or record from, cannot open the 2nd one at all, not a problem as can play from the first but just wondered if I was doing something stupid.... again!!

link

Phone the shop from whence you bought it.

If anyone here does have a CD Recorder your suggestions please.

Social source share

Anyhow, you would be best off dumping the mixer and getting a proper amplifier, you could sell what would then be a surplus deck to fund it. 

link

I hear what you're saying Stuart but it's shutting the barn door.

I have a decent project debut deck and a laptop with cool edit to record onto but for convenience when I want to record a bundle of 45's I use the twin decks and cheapo mixer. Decent cartridges help with any deck as well as balancing them properly. It is Northern Soul records we are dubbing after all not 180gm virgin vinyl so there's no need to go all HiFi.

Using twin decks means recording 30 singles in real time, cutting the wav up on Cool Edit , and then normalising the sound level which means you have a CDR in less than two hours.

Given the choice buy a Project Debut MK 3 SB with built in pre amp

Project Debut Mk 3 SB

102843.jpg

Keep the Ortofon OM 5 Stylus for your 45's and invest £30 at mantra audio for a Super OM 10 upgrade for your favourite album.

Social source share

for convenience when I want to record a bundle of 45's I use the twin decks and cheapo mixer. Decent cartridges help with any deck as well as balancing them properly. It is Northern Soul records we are dubbing after all not 180gm virgin vinyl so there's no need to go all HiFi. 

Using twin decks means recording 30 singles in real time,  cutting the wav up on Cool Edit , and then normalising the sound level which means you have a CDR in less than two hours.

link

Thanks for help guys, pint on me Frank if we meet, and you hit the nial on the head, I bought decks as am making up lots of cd's (including dreaded house cd's, soulful of course!) and its much easier. Will try out tonight.

I am thinking also of creating deck to pc link for sound files also (although will never be as prolific as Dan :thumbsup::D ) and know the hows and equipment has been discussed here before, however cant find it a moment, can someone direct me to it, failing that does somebody fancy pm'ng me with details, save repeating it all over here again.

Many thanks again guys!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I am thinking also of creating deck to pc link for sound files also (although will never be as prolific as Dan  :thumbsup:   :D ) and know the hows and equipment has been discussed here before, however cant find it a moment, can someone direct me to it, failing that does somebody fancy pm'ng me with details, save repeating it all over here again.

Many thanks again guys!

Cheers

Jock

link

Hi re above, ignore as have found response to Dans, always forget you can just go in under section heading, now just a test to see if can master it as quick and well as Dan :D:D

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I hear what you're saying Stuart but it's shutting the barn door.

It is Northern Soul records we are dubbing after all not 180gm virgin vinyl so there's no need to go all HiFi. 

Using twin decks means recording 30 singles in real time,  cutting the wav up on Cool Edit , and then normalising the sound level which means you have a CDR in less than two hours.

link

I know what you mean and used to think the same but some old soul 45s sound absolutely amazing on a reasonable hi-fi set up (RCAs,Mercurys, mid to late sixties on major labels/decent studios are generally worth the effort, early stax are shocking, as are many British pressings). Some are laughable, I can't remember which record it is but on one fairly well known 45 the trumpet player swaps speakers half way through a break, sounds like he just jumped across the room. Sound engineer was probably stoned.

Its amazing how an improved cartridge and arm set up can actually reduce surface noise as well, not quite sure why. And it becomes very clear who is singing out of key, and you can really hear ZZ Hill's lisp ("fwee woderwick").

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert