James Brown L.p. - Which One Is Original?

Soulboy69

Hello good people of Soul Source, hope you can help me with the following issue.

I have 2 copies of the James Brown l.p. "Hell".

The labels are different on each one so i need to know which one is original (or are they both original)?

Both are on the Red Polydor label.

First one (bought from a reputable dealer) has James Brown's face on label wearing a hat with "James Brown Godfather Of Soul" written underneath it.

Second one (bought on eBay) has the familiar James Brown face on label without hat and "Godfather Of Soul" slogan.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello good people of Soul Source, hope you can help me with the following issue.

The labels are different on each one so i need to know which one is original (or are they both original)?

First one (bought from a reputable dealer) has James Brown's face on label wearing a hat with "James Brown Godfather Of Soul" written underneath it.

Second one (bought on eBay) has the familiar James Brown face on label without hat and "Godfather Of Soul" slogan.

NOt sure about this one sorry cant be of help, but if you like this you'll love the Lp only track on the King Lp 'I cant stand myself when you touch me' the track is called 'why did you take your love away from me' ......Tuuunnee!! oh and on the 7ts tip 'you took my heart' on the Get up off a that thing Lp....

Social source share

Well the one i have is like the one you brought off ebay,so at a guess this would be the Orig,unless one is UK issue and the other one a US issue?,i`ve not seen the reissue of this did they do one?.

Dave f.............

Social source share

Thanks for responses, almost certain there is a Re-issue, both lp's that i own have the same serial numbers on sleeve and labels

and both were manufactured in the U.S.A. but labels are very different.

Thanks for the tips on the other James Brown tracks Liam, i'll check 'em out!

Social source share

Not sure about the albums you are referring to, but usually the re-issues have bar codes on if they are legal, ( maybe not if they are boots )

Just taken a look at my copy and mine has the James Brown head with "A James Brown Production. SOUL I"

Great album and I'm not sure if this info even helps :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for responses, almost certain there is a Re-issue, both lp's that i own have the same serial numbers on sleeve and labels

got to agree with Mr Quinn, that track is treeeeeeeeeeeemendous!!!

However, be careful as the album has been booted.

Social source share

Hi Paul

Could have a spare of the James Brown, I cant stand myself when you touch me, will check and bring it to Rugby if i have.. :lol:

Social source share

Hi Paul

Could have a spare of the James Brown, I cant stand myself when you touch me, will check and bring it to Rugby if i have.. :lol:

Cheers Steve, hope everything is well with you.

The l.p. that was scanned is the same as the copy that i bought on eBay but the other copy i have has James wearing a hat and "The Godfather Of Soul"

written underneath it. I will "try" and put up a scan later on but have never done this so any tips would be appreciated :lol:

Edited by soulboy69
Social source share

NOt sure about this one sorry cant be of help, but if you like this you'll love the Lp only track on the King Lp 'I cant stand myself when you touch me' the track is called 'why did you take your love away from me' ......Tuuunnee!! oh and on the 7ts tip 'you took my heart' on the Get up off a that thing Lp....

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Below is scans of both labels, hope this sheds some light.

post-8445-1233154756_thumb.png

Slightly confusing,this is a different lay out to mine,mine has a "sterling" matrix stamp in the run out,

has any of your`s got this stamp?

also the one without the hat,some of the label looks like it`s been cut and pasted?,you can see lines

around the info?,and it looks like his head has been cut around and stuck on there,looks a bit dodgy.

Dave f..............

post-2848-1233162990_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Slightly confusing,this is a different lay out to mine,mine has a "sterling" matrix stamp in the run out,

has any of your`s got this stamp?

also the one without the hat,some of the label looks like it`s been cut and pasted?,you can see lines

around the info?,and it looks like his head has been cut around and stuck on there,looks a bit dodgy.

Dave f..............

More than slightly confusing, the none hat scans show two differant labels.............

Note the numbering, extra bracketed pd referance no's in there! :thumbsup:

Oh bugger! :lol:

M. :rolleyes:

Social source share

The UK original issue was on Polydor 2659 036. Gate fold cover which opened to reveal a full spread poster of the man himself. Issued in 1974. Hope this helps.

Edited by Stuart Bower
Social source share

The UK original issue was on Polydor 2659 036. Gate fold cover which opened to reveal a full spread poster of the man himself. Issued in 1974. Hope this helps.

So does the Dutch original issue Stuart.

Its actually the US sleeve (the cloggy one anyway) cos it has the American address printed on the inner gatefold.

And does he wear a hat on the label Stuart
:rolleyes:

No hat on the Dutch label or picture of Mr Brown either with or without moustache
:thumbsup:

Have seen the picture of him on quite a few US 45s of his and his productions from the 70s

Cheers Paul

PS Great LP........................................... "Papa don't take no Mess" !!!

Social source share

Thanks for all your input everybody, i think i'll conclude that both of them are originals unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Absolutely love "Lost Someone" from this l.p. (main reason that i bought it!)

and absolutely love the gatefold picture of the man himself, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuunky!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert