Magic Tones-fun To Be Young

Windlesoul

Have just procured the Mahs issue of "Together we shall overcome", backed with "Fun to be young" still winging its way from the US. I know the Solid Hit "Better to love/Fun" is a turn up for the books, but just wondering how common this Mahs one is. Know a bit about the release history and would have assumed there were a few of these with "Fun" as the flip on Mahs, but I have never come across one in twenty years of knowing the record, none listed in Manship etc. Anybody through any light on how common the Mahs one might be? Or have I missed the plot and does everyone have "Together" b/w "Fun" in their collection...Its the multicolour jobbie.

Mark

Social source share

Hi Mark

It's surely an interesting variant and I guess the first issue, before the Ric-Tic distributed version with "It's Better To Love" on instead. Therefore, pretty collectable in my opinion.

Not as easy to pick up as some might think I suspect. Clearly, not in the same rarity category as their Solid Hit release, their 45 with Debora Healey on Wheelsville, and probably the Debra Healy & The Magictones on Chrysler. Much harder I'm sure than the more bog standard Mah's releases on the group though.

One 45 it seemed to take me ages to get in good condition was their release on Shur-Hit :yes: Maybe similar rarity to that one? :no:

Here's a scan of my copy of Fun To Be Young on Mah's. Hope yours arrives safe and sound!

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1232836972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Very Nice Find Mate, Always Nice When An Unexpected Rarity Turns Up. :no:

I Still Get That Buzz When Another Record Arrives, Still A Few Out There Yet To Be Discovered.

My Copy is the Easier To Obtain RED Label with the different & Standard B Side

MAHS_M-1037a.gif

MAHS_M-1037b.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Very Nice Find Mate, Always Nice When An Unexpected Rarity Turns Up. :P

I Still Get That Buzz When Another Record Arrives, Still A Few Out There Yet To Be Discovered.

My Copy is the Easier To Obtain RED Label with the different & Standard B Side

MAHS_M-1037a.gif

MAHS_M-1037b.gif

This one with It's Better To Love is also available on the multicoloured logo like the other one I posted up previously, as well as on the red label like your copy above.

The group's other release on Mah's 1038 is also on both red and multicoloured :P

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Found very indepth but interesting discussion re this and the mahs/solid hit issue on soulfuldteroit.com.

Seems like the Solid Hit ~108 was recorded in aug 67, and both sides are different recordings to the Mahs releases. The Mahs copy of "Together" with "Fun" as flip was released in April 1968, then a rush job on pressing more was done in May 1968 ( which is when the flip changed) as it was a bigger hit than they imagined, and demand outstripped the original supply. This would suggest reasonably limited copies of the first Mahs one if sold out over a month and limited pressing? BTW "Together we shall overcome" was a civil rights tune, ironically recorded the day before Martin Luther King was assassinated.

Mark

Social source share

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest chorleybloke
On 07/07/2016 at 03:12, RobbK said:

Yes, the Solid Hit is dead rare, with only a handful known.  The multi-coloured Mahs of "Fun To Be Young" is not common at all, but I wouldn't call it "rare". The hit version with the new flip is extremely common.

Any sound clips around of Solid Hit 108?  I understand that it's a different arrangement to the Mah's release.

Cheers.............Pete

Social source share

48 minutes ago, chorleybloke said:

Any sound clips around of Solid Hit 108?  I understand that it's a different arrangement to the Mah's release.

Cheers.............Pete

You are correct.  It was a different take.  I heard it years ago.  But, I, myself, don't have a soundfile of it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!