Tim Brown Auctions

Andreas

Hi,

I´ve never in my life bought records from Tim Brown, but I even was on his auction page and was surprised about his sound clips and the grading of the records. He is nothing writing about if he´s taking the sound samples from the actual record, only a couple of funny attacks against other dealers, but that´s it. What´s your experience with him, does he take the sound clips from other copies or does he pushing some sand in the grooves of the record before he takes a sound sample of it, but if you´ve won an auction will you get cleaned superb as graded record???? I mean, there are a lot of records graded as Mint minus, but some of them sounding worse than EX, not to speak about his as VG++ graded records, but I also couln´d find a description about how his grading is to understand. A lot of interesting records there, but to be honest, in that case I can understand why the most of them does not yet have a bid on it.

And no! -this is no attack against Tim Brown (biggest respect to him - one of the ikons of the Northern Soul scene), only a question to other collectors how to deal with him.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me and others, Andreas

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

I´ve never in my life bought records from Tim Brown, but I even was on his auction page and was surprised about his sound clips and the grading of the records. He is nothing writing about if he´s taking the sound samples from the actual record, only a couple of funny attacks against other dealers, but that´s it. What´s your experience with him, does he take the sound clips from other copies or does he pushing some sand in the grooves of the record before he takes a sound sample of it, but if you´ve won an auction will you get cleaned superb as graded record???? I mean, there are a lot of records graded as Mint minus, but some of them sounding worse than EX, not to speak about his as VG++ graded records, but I also couln´d find a description about how his grading is to understand. A lot of interesting records there, but to be honest, in that case I can understand why the most of them does not yet have a bid on it.

And no! -this is no attack against Tim Brown (biggest respect to him - one of the ikons of the Northern Soul scene), only a question to other collectors how to deal with him.

Never had a problem.

Good luck

Jayne.x. :shades:

Social source share

Hi,

why not e-mail Tim and ask? I'm sure he'd be more than glad to help with any queries :yes:

Social source share

Never had a problem with Tim Browns auctions or his lists since day one, all records I have had, bar one have been in superb or described condition.

The one that fell through the quality control was not an auction item but he replaced it with no questions asked and was told to keep the fualty one ( it was a £20 record), but even so like most Uk dealers the customer service is good.

To be honest, never had a problem with any of the main dealers, either mail order or one to one, we are quite lucky in that respect as you do hear some horror stories from across the Atlantic, Channel etc.

So Tim, John, Pat etc the address for your PR cheques to Dave Halsall c/o ............

The Man In Black

Social source share

Yeah I complained after letting all know how bad his gradings were..he took the hump because I let everyone on here know.

Shame eh?????? and proceded to tell me I was wrong to post on here. ohmy.gifohmy.gif:rolleyes::lol:

So Im sure you can imagine my reply. :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

got a refund and not even an apologie or a decent excuse for grading so badly

but still felt cheated when you advertise VG++ and paid £3k and get a wank condition

I sold 3 BIG tunes to get that record and I cannot replace them now they have gone.

He didnt give a rats arse.

Im sticking with Manship from now on..NEVER EVER had a problem with john in 20 years

he may sell posters and flyers that Brownie seems to mock but at least he grades correctly.

and Im not the only one on here Ive had more than a few PM,s but they dont wont to go public with fear of reprisals..(think thats how you spell it)

Ive woke up with a few horses heads in my bed over the years..IT DONT SCARE ME...haha...

I believe in free speech..for god sake you men stand up and be counted.

Tim may well be a nice guy..doesnt mean you cant tell the truth about his dealings.

I must admit Id never had any problem with Tim prior to this either but at the end of the day

I wont be taken for a fool.

gasher

Did you complain, & if so how was it handled?
Edited by GASHER
Social source share

In all those 21 years of dealing with Tim I can`t think of one single problem. At least not when I was on the buying side LOL ! Always found him a very reasonabel, reliable and fair dealer. Must have bought about ten or so items since he is doing auctions as well and also never had a problem. You can always return for a full money back (which I never had the need to do) without any hazzle. One of teh best IMO.

Marc

Social source share

Hi

For what its worth i've bought off Anglo american and never had any probs with gradings ,infact i've been pleasantly surprised .

Regarding the auction , i find it all a bit too vague(amatuerish)i cant see anywhere to tell when the bids are coming in ??

Minimum bid prices usually mean i don't even bother ,they usually look like end prices to me :huh:

Infact i just looked at the email list and nearly fell off my chair

NOV - F

Liberation

Love Looks Good On You

S O A 150

M-

Very rare seventies dancer first time ever on our list

Surely a £200 record any day of the week imho

WATCH HIM PROVE ME WRONG :lol:

Social source share

NOV - F

Liberation

Love Looks Good On You

S O A 150

M-

Very rare seventies dancer - first time ever on our list

Surely a £200 record any day of the week imho

WATCH HIM PROVE ME WRONG :huh:

I remember being informed that most bids do come in late via email and phone...and because of that most 45s do sell not for the starting bid. But I agree, it would be much much better if the bids would be put up to date more frequently.

Craig Moerer was selling the Liberation 45 for 1000 USD and has recently decreased down to 800 USD.

Marc

Social source share

I remember being informed that most bids do come in late via email and phone...and because of that most 45s do sell not for the starting bid. But I agree, it would be much much better if the bids would be put up to date more frequently.

Craig Moerer was selling the Liberation 45 for 1000 USD and has recently decreased down to 800 USD.

Marc

Hi Marc

Craig has had it on his site for a very long time at $1000 and my guess is he's reduced it due to the £ versus $

Has been on lists on here for £200 average over the last two yrs but i say good luck ,i hope someone pays £500+ for it

But as a minimum payment im not so sure??

Social source share

Hi Marc

Craig has had it on his site for a very long time at $1000 and my guess is he's reduced it due to the £ versus $

Has been on lists on here for £200 average over the last two yrs but i say good luck ,i hope someone pays £500+ for it

But as a minimum payment im not so sure??

What you say about the UKP to the USD makes sense, can`t comment on Liberation on UK lists as I never really looked out for it really, so you may be right here as well wink.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert