Alma Faye On John M,s Auction

can someone please explain as i dont get out much these days, the record in question has been compared to "case of too much love making", i played the sound file and the word "compared" does not put over the point that its not far off the same song, can anyone explain, its not another four vandals is it

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

can someone please explain as i dont get out much these days, the record in question has been compared to "case of too much love making", i played the sound file and the word "compared" does not put over the point that its not far off the same song, can anyone explain, its not another four vandals is it

I can't really see the "Too Much Lovemaking" comparison other than the tempo.. Alma Faye is inferior to that imo anyway.

This was first played back in the old "modern soul scene" days. I heard it at either Sheffield or Rotherham Tiffs, and the dj had it covered up can't remember who played it (Sean Hampsey?), and went home and dug out the 12" I had as a new release, and stuck some wallpaper over the label and wrote Jeanie Reynolds on it :thumbsup: .

Sean, was it you ?

Social source share

hi there

get the "doin it" lp on casablanca 1979 its on there nice and cheap

plenty of copies about

uk seven is on there for the collectors/anoraks

nowhere near as good as the gloria scott tune from 74 but a nice record all the same and i can see the comparison

there are far better 70ss records that would merit an auction item

the fact this one is a uk 45 only should see it get a good price though

get merry clayton one more ride just as good in my humble opinion

Social source share

I can't really see the "Too Much Lovemaking" comparison other than the tempo.. Alma Faye is inferior to that imo anyway.

This was first played back in the old "modern soul scene" days. I heard it at either Sheffield or Rotherham Tiffs, and the dj had it covered up can't remember who played it (Sean Hampsey?), and went home and dug out the 12" I had as a new release, and stuck some wallpaper over the label and wrote Jeanie Reynolds on it :) .

Sean, was it you ?

Not guilty, your honour!

:rolleyes:

I did a lotta that shit, back then, as you know, but I never even had the Alma Faye (12" or 7") that I can remember.

Darren possibly?

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

i,m not saying that it as good as too much lovemaking, just that it sounds like whoever produced the alma faye must have heard gloria scott record and either paid it homage or hoped no one would notice!

Social source share

Not guilty, your honour!

no.gif

I did a lotta that shit, back then, as you know, but I never even had the Alma Faye (12" or 7") that I can remember.

Darren possibly?

:rolleyes:

Sean

I'm glad you confirmed this, I didn't remember hearing it anywhere back then! unsure.gif

But I suppose it's possible someone gave it a spin at that time?

I have had the 45 of it since around the mid to late 80's but never gave it more than a quick play then 'filed' it away along with the other records on the label.

I don't think I thought any more about it until Gouch (I think) mentioned it in a mag, maybe Soul Renaissance?

This would have been sometime around 5 years back. I have to agree it does have a similarity with "Too much lovemaking"... but it's not really in the same league is it? :lol:

Social source share

I'm glad you confirmed this, I didn't remember hearing it anywhere back then! unsure.gif

But I suppose it's possible someone gave it a spin at that time?

I have had the 45 of it since around the mid to late 80's but never gave it more than a quick play then 'filed' it away along with the other records on the label.

I don't think I thought any more about it until Gouch (I think) mentioned it in a mag, maybe Soul Renaissance?

This would have been sometime around 5 years back. I have to agree it does have a similarity with "Too much lovemaking"... but it's not really in the same league is it? biggrin.gif

Confirmed what John ?

That you don't remember it being played or it didn't get played?

I can assure you it did, at the time. But, as you say, not a patch on Gloria Scott.

Social source share

Confirmed what John ?

That you don't remember it being played or it didn't get played?

I can assure you it did, at the time. But, as you say, not a patch on Gloria Scott.

I guess John means 'confirmed that I didn't play it' back then Steve, i.e. not that it wasn't played at all.

If you recall, we were inseperable at that time.

John even used to sit on the stage with me while I Deejayed... to stop me feeling lonely during the quiet moments biggrin.gif .

I had Jay-Bee!

And you had Gary Wade,

laugh.gif

Sean

Social source share

I guess John means 'confirmed that I didn't play it' back then Steve, i.e. not that it wasn't played at all.

John even used to sit on the stage with me while I Deejayed... to stop me feeling lonely during the quiet moments :lol: .

I had Jay-Bee!

And you had Gary Wade,

Sean

I have utmost respect for John Sean, and I take your point. Probably misread his post. You may have had JB, but may people thought Gary was Richard Searling. Thats why I was so popular as a dj. "F**k me, Searling carries Steve Mannions records" ohmy.gif:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol: . Poke and myself used to laugh about it all the time. And Bill Ward rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I have utmost respect for John Sean, and I take your point. Probably misread his post. You may have had JB, but may people thought Gary was Richard Searling. Thats why I was so popular as a dj. "F**k me, Searling carries Steve Mannions records" ohmy.gif:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol: . Poke and myself used to laugh about it all the time. And Bill Ward rolleyes.gif

Hey mate.. I have complete respect for your boy too.

The guys got the finest taste in music I've ever encountered. Turned me onto the Ann Sexton LP and a whole bunch of great stuff, way back when.

But you just reminded me...

...I used to carry Bill Wards records!

Social source share

Hey mate.. I have complete respect for your boy too.

The guys got the finest taste in music I've ever encountered. Turned me onto the Ann Sexton LP and a whole bunch of great stuff, way back when.

But you just reminded me...

...I used to carry Bill Wards records!

Sean, remember the Controllers album. ohmy.gif:rolleyes::lol: GW got all his taste from me. Including Italian food, wine and women. Top bloke though. Comes round once a month to polish my vinyl whistling.gif

Bill Ward ? you're thinking of Chris Brady surely :lol:

Social source share

This was first played back in the old "modern soul scene" days. I heard it at either Sheffield or Rotherham Tiffs, and the dj had it covered up can't remember who played it (Sean Hampsey?), and went home and dug out the 12" I had as a new release, and stuck some wallpaper over the label and wrote Jeanie Reynolds on it :thumbup: .

Sean, was it you ?

I have a feeling it could be Henry Hall from Lincoln. I know he DJ'd at Rotherham Tiffs as I used to go with him. I seem to recollect that he played some cover up's to Crofty and I suspect this was one of them.

I play this every few years but it doe'snt seem to sound any better. Hard on 7 though.

Will dig out the Merry Clayton, not played that in years.

Regards Alan

Social source share

John even used to sit on the stage with me while I Deejayed... to stop me feeling lonely during the quiet moments :( .

I had Jay-Bee!

And you had Gary Wade,

:shades:

Sean

You got it in one Sean! wink.gif

That's exactly what I meant - I didn't recall you playing it.

I did also say that I didn't remember hearing it anywhere at that time and that someone may have given it a spin. (Which Steve has confirmed)

We don't know everything y'know :)

Anyway... I didn't realise I was a Hampsey 'Groupie' :D

Social source share

I have a feeling it could be Henry Hall from Lincoln. I know he DJ'd at Rotherham Tiffs as I used to go with him. I seem to recollect that he played some cover up's to Crofty and I suspect this was one of them.

I play this every few years but it doe'snt seem to sound any better. Hard on 7 though.

Will dig out the Merry Clayton, not played that in years.

Regards Alan

You are absoulutely correct Alan. It was Henry, although I would have struggled to remember. Is he still around ?

Social source share

You are absoulutely correct Alan. It was Henry, although I would have struggled to remember. Is he still around ?

Hi Steve,

The last time I saw Henry was at an niter at the King Georges Hall in Stoke back in the mid 90s. We exchanged numbers and he rang me a few weeks later trying to blag a copy of the Urban Blues Project 12" Let love live which was big a couple of years ago but must have been a relatively new release when he rang me. True to form he said it was for his girlfriend who liked house music. Yeah right I thought.

Great character and given the difficulties of opting out of this thing of ours I sure he will reappear with a box full of big sounds in the future.

Regards Alan

Social source share

al capone- prince buster/gangsters- the specials

come on eileen-dexys/a man like me-jimmy james

shes so fine-chiffons/my sweet lord-george harrison,

come on folks you know what i mean, please, or is it me

Social source share

al capone- prince buster/gangsters- the specials

come on eileen-dexys/a man like me-jimmy james

shes so fine-chiffons/my sweet lord-george harrison,

come on folks you know what i mean, please, or is it me

I agree 'I believed' is definitely based on Gloria Scott...............although nowhere near as good imho by about a million miles!

Since i first heard it played out I've often dug it out with a view to playing it out BUT put it back everytime cos it's just NOT got 'it'

Another couple of things in the case about it sounding similar is-

1) It's on the same label (Casablanca) albeit 5 years later

&

2) There's another track that is on the Alma Faye LP that is a dead ringer for 'That's what you say'........although it's pretty good (best track on the AF LP imho) it's not quite as good by about 25 miles!

And I know I'm teaching some folks to suck eggs here but 'That's what you say' is another phenomenal track from the Gloria Scott LP :lol: So someone must have had the Gloria Scott LP to hand when they were recording the AF LP?

As it didn't get a US 45 or 12" release it does make the UK 45 & 12" of value to collectors..............but gimme Gloria Scott anytime, however many times it gets over-played!!!!

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Just to add to the interest. Here's one with a Promo letter I got off Backdoor Kenny a couple of years back. Definite link to Gloria Scott but yes different slant. Sorry No photo. Anyone got one? Holds its own for me. biggrin.gif

Kev

post-13983-1233771057_thumb.jpgpost-13983-1233771132_thumb.jpgpost-13983-1233771304_thumb.jpg

Hate to side with the majority Kev - AF is definitely the poor relation in this comparison - her voice is waaaaay off the pace...

MRez

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert