Does Anyone Know These?

Hi peeps

Went into Leeds today and went into one of the main record shops. I spotted a couple of crates of 'New' 7" records stuck underneath the racks. I asked the owner what they were and he said, "a bit of everything, have a look"

I went throught the records and found a few that looked 'Northerny' going by the labels, and listened to a load. I ended up buying 4 that i'd never heard of but were amazing. So I just wondered if anyone on here had heard of them? They are

Sharon Jones and the dap-Kings - 100 days, 100 nights on 'Daptone' records

LaShawn Collins - What you gonna do now on 'Escrow' records

Funky music machine - I can't help myself on 'Black top' records (a really Northern version of the 'Tops' classic)

and best of all

Hank Soul Man Mullen - He upset your dreams, on 'Ever-Soul' records, what a blinder!

let me know if you know any of them and what you think. I only paid £15 for the 4.

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

La Shaun Collins has been getting spins for a couple of years now , think your issue is uk and came out in 2006 , a cracking crossover tune and a bargain

Enjoy thumbsup.gif

It certainly looks like a US release as it has no centre, I could be wrong, but then again there is nothing on the label that says where it originated, , the label colour is beige, The matrix number is 2571-45-A. What has it been fetching pricewise, if anything? Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

It certainly looks like a US release as it has no centre, I could be wrong, but then again there is nothing on the label that says where it originated, , the label colour is beige, The matrix number is 2571-45-A. What has it been fetching pricewise, if anything?

escrow is a UK bootleg label that attempted to make their stuff look legit, they also bootlegged the timeless legend LP and put some BS credits thanking the band members that were listed on the original LP. it should not be worth anything. I guess "escrow" is even a reference to the fact that they might have put money in escrow absent real licensing.

the original US press is on the Sincere label, it came out on yellow, red, green, and blue labels. The blue is the rarest and I've been told it's an alternate mix (I have the other three versions which aren't).

Social source share

Hi peeps

Went into Leeds today and went into one of the main record shops. I spotted a couple of crates of 'New' 7" records stuck underneath the racks. I asked the owner what they were and he said, "a bit of everything, have a look"

I went throught the records and found a few that looked 'Northerny' going by the labels, and listened to a load. I ended up buying 4 that i'd never heard of but were amazing. So I just wondered if anyone on here had heard of them? They are

Sharon Jones and the dap-Kings - 100 days, 100 nights on 'Daptone' records

LaShawn Collins - What you gonna do now on 'Escrow' records

Funky music machine - I can't help myself on 'Black top' records (a really Northern version of the 'Tops' classic)

and best of all

Hank Soul Man Mullen - He upset your dreams, on 'Ever-Soul' records, what a blinder!

let me know if you know any of them and what you think. I only paid £15 for the 4.

Steve

All recent "new" releases, the Sharon Jones, Funky Music Machine & Hank Mullens are top notch, not worth anything though because you can buy them brand new for a few $ each. As stated the Collins is a boot. Daptone Records are really running it at the moment (have been for a few years) it is amazing, and kind of cool in a way, that there is still a soul fan who hasn't been turned onto it yet!! I can't reccomend that label enough, great 45s, cheap, order as many as you can, you won't be disappointed, I'm really serious. Sharon Jones has a great live show too, not to be missed. Ever-Soul is a subsidiary of Daptone. You'd probably really like Charles Bradley's stuff on Dunham from them too.

Social source share

the original US press is on the Sincere label, it came out on yellow, red, green, and blue labels. The blue is the rarest and I've been told it's an alternate mix (I have the other three versions which aren't).

Is this the one without the chimes?,i have it on Red with the chimes.

Dave f...............

Social source share

Hank Soul Mullins, great record but a boot I presume. Can't imagine anyone wanting to release it legit, not exactly in demand ?

Was getting plays a few years ago, I spun it at Solid Hit to no reaction. Goes for about £150 now I think.

Bought mine in the 70s for pennies :rolleyes::)

Social source share

Hank Soul Mullins, great record but a boot I presume. Can't imagine anyone wanting to release it legit, not exactly in demand ?

It is legit. Have a strong feeling it was reissued because the owner of the label wanted to spread the music and not because it was in-demand.

Great tune, just a pity that the drummer is a bit out of it during one of the breaks... :shades:

Social source share

It is legit. Have a strong feeling it was reissued because the owner of the label wanted to spread the music and not because it was in-demand.

Great tune, just a pity that the drummer is a bit out of it during one of the breaks... ph34r.gif

Legit ? Ok sorry I stand corrected :yes:

Social source share

I'd guess it was Jumbo as they know their stuff. Keep an eye out in there cos they get most of the good reissue stuff. Matt who works there is a great funk/soul DJ and has absolutley one of the biggest and most diverse collections I've ever seen. Ever.

I also get that Epic reissue of Jimmy Frazier for the soultime CD from there which I subsequently sold for £98!?!

The Sharon Jones 100 Days is ace. Check out the video as well. Well cool. Done on two $50 60's cameras gleaned from ebay!

Edited by mattbolton
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert