The Cleveland Arms Wolverhampton

harpo1

Does anyone else have recollections of this night?

Can't remember if it was on Wednesday or Thursday nights, and if i remember it was Steve Powell who was instrumental in arranging it, but i'm not 100% sure.

What i have got is a playlist(to follow), Chris Plant was a regular too, so that stands it in good steade musically, as well as Dave Shaw, Rover and Carl Jones doing bits now and then.

All the regular West Mids crew were in attendance as well as Marc Gaz and Brad from Rugeley/Cannock to name but a few.

Sandi has a few photo's from the event, mainly of the Willenhall crowd, including a young Pomma.

I look forward to your recollections

Playlist Harpo c1981 Cleveland Arms

Timothy Wilson and the Pacesetters c/u (The Aspirations "You left me")

Proffessionals "Thats why i love you"

Esther Wiliams c/u (Cheryl Berdell "Giving it all to you")

Brainstormers c/u (Pages "Heartaches and Pain")

Lonnie Russ "Say girl"

Reuben Howell "You can't stop a man in love"

Jackie Beavers "Come back baby"(ok i cant remember exact title help! its the one on Nation)

Sophisticates "I cant stand it"

Village Sound "These windows"

Omni "Keys to the city"

Skip Mahoney and the Casuals "Janice(dont be so blind to love)"

Keni Burke "Let somebody love you"

Luther Vandross "Never to much"

Otis Clay "The only way is up"

Leon Peterson "Don't squeeze the sherm"

Peabo Bryson "Why don't you make up your mind"

Maze "Joy and Pain"

Kenny Wells "Isn't it just a shame"

Calvin Grayson "Love's just begun"

Inspirations "Your wish is my command"

Martha Starr "No part time love for me"

Larry Atkins "Lighten up"/"Ain't that love enough"

George Byrd "I'm available"

Theo-Coff Invasion "Lucky day"

Natural 4 "I thought you were mine"

Mel Britt "She'll come running back"

Darrell Banks "Somebody, Somewhere Needs You"

Billy Hambric "She said goodbye"

Ringleaders "Baby what has happened to our love"

Jimmy Mcfarland "Lonley Lover"

Frank Dell "He broke your game wide open"

Afew nice bits there, if i say so myself.

All 't best Harpo

Edited by harpo1
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Evening Harpster

Jackie Beavers - "Come Back My Love" - Nation Records. N21765

Bought one from a bloke on here last year - cheap as chips!!

Met Mrs Bod at the Cleveland who was best mates with Julie Jones - who became Julie Lewis. Funny that.

Was a disco where they played chart records with a Northern session in the middle. Sort of like the Willenhall baths. Rememer Shelton in attendance one night singing alternative lyrics to a David Bowie song "Fashion" - along the lines "We are the Drug Squad and we're coming for you. Beep Beep!.

Yeah Bod "times guy"

I know you met Nikki Sean met Sue Dave met Juli, and Rover started to see Diane all at the Cleveland, I had some crazy times with Phil over the years, my old blastin' buddy, its hard to believe its 19 years on April 1st

Paul

See you soon.

Bod

Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

Had some good nights there. Deffinately on Wednesday and Bod's right, it was a 'normal' disco to start with but the Portobello and East Park soulies turned it into a soul night by demanding more and more Northern be played. It's where what you'd refer to as, the younger Wigan Wolvo crowd friendship was formed. Me, Mad Rog, Drip, Pomma and of course, your good lady.

Hope to see you about soon mate.

Sean

Social source share

Guest souljack

this was the first venue i went to after moving to walsall,and the first night i was there i met harpo,john and dawn pugh,and mick holdsworth,also a guy who droped a glass eye into my beer,then proceeded to drink said pint, mick holdsworth was dj ing that night and played a bustin set as i remember,stevie powell now theres a name ive not heard for a while,was his missus called anne??remember when we started the wee soul nights at the wheatsheaf in walsall stevie often came over and spun a few ,then just disapeared from everywhere,im sure this was where i met ken onions for the first time as well,happy days,thanks for posting this harpo brought out some memories mate,ktf jack

Social source share

That was "Mac" I think, from Wednesfield or Willenhall.

Thats right Pete, It was Malc Pitt. The glass eye thing was his party trick!! I think it's been mentioned before but it popped out a few times at Nighter's. Most memorable was in Mr M's one night. Everyone looking for it - you can just imagine can't you! He recently got married and lives in the Wednesfield area.

His brother Kevin is attending nighters and soul nights still.

If you check the 3 photo's I posted a few weeks ago, you'll see Mac in the red jumper at Wigan.

Steve Powell has recently started attending a few local soul nights (Goodyears etc). You can tell him a mile off from his dance style. Still looks the same.

All the best

Bod (I'm the one on the far left in the red jumper photo)

Social source share

this was the first venue i went to after moving to walsall,and the first night i was there i met harpo,john and dawn pugh,and mick holdsworth,also a guy who droped a glass eye into my beer,then proceeded to drink said pint, mick holdsworth was dj ing that night and played a bustin set as i remember,stevie powell now theres a name ive not heard for a while,was his missus called anne??remember when we started the wee soul nights at the wheatsheaf in walsall stevie often came over and spun a few ,then just disapeared from everywhere,im sure this was where i met ken onions for the first time as well,happy days,thanks for posting this harpo brought out some memories mate,ktf jack

How you doing Jack me old mate ??

We should get a post going about the Wheatsheaf on here at sometime

All the very best

Harpo

Social source share

Now that would be a good thread :D

All these memories keep us young at heart, l remember both the Cleveland and the Wheatsheaf fondly, many friendships were formed at these venues, friends we dont forget even if we have lost touch with some over the years.

I do have some pic's from the Cleveland, l'll dig them out and get them posted on here a.s.a.p.

Lot's of memories for me, like when Poma hit me in the eye with my brolly while pratting about as per usual, he soon legged it cus he knew l'd thump him :P ,

There was one particular incident that happened on the bus on our way home one night after the Cleveland.....again Poma was the perpetrator, l'm sure,Julie,Diane and Sean remember the incident well,and so do others, over the years it's usually the first thing that my old muckers remind me of, wink.gif " Sandi do you remember that night .........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", l'm sure they aint ever gonna let me forget :lamsey:innocent.gif .

Oh happy days.

Social source share

I remember that night at the Cleveland like it was yesterday Jack, you & Susan had only just moved down hadn't you ? Was it your first week of living down here ?

happy days!

The Wheatsheaf ( and all the other assorted clubs from that era) there's a story or two to tell, or not !

I wonder how many promoters of soul nites have ever had to burglarise second storey flats to get the disco gear out so their nite could go ahead - allegedly rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I remember that night at the Cleveland like it was yesterday Jack, you & Susan had only just moved down hadn't you ? Was it your first week of living down here ?

happy days!

The Wheatsheaf ( and all the other assorted clubs from that era) there's a story or two to tell, or not !

I wonder how many promoters of soul nites have ever had to burglarise second storey flats to get the disco gear out so their nite could go ahead - allegedly :D

i had my photo in black echoes after it was taken at the wheatsheaf, bloody famous i am ! think it was the night pat brady was on, they were brill nights, a lot of collectors went there

Social source share

Guest souljack

anyone remember the gaffers name!!

where abouts max cleveland or the wheatsheaf,if the wheatsheaf cant remember the old girls name for the life of me,but her son,was called brian tall fair haired lad.

Social source share

Guest souljack

Now that would be a good thread :D

[/quote

wheatsheaf thread posted,kenny ,harpo,john,jason etc etc feel free to contribute,what you on about john breaking and entering indeed!!id forgotten that,he he he.

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

I remeber the Cleve being on a Thurday night in the early 80's. Also used to get the minibus there to the Wigan oldies nights in '79. A red Ford Transit with an tailgate type back door, driven by Paul O'Neil, who used to charge £2 return. Also used to pick up outsied St Giles's Youth Club in Willenhall and J10 M6.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Also used to get the minibus there to the Wigan oldies nights in '79. A red Ford Transit with an tailgate type back door, driven by Paul O'Neil, who used to charge £2 return.

Yes i can remember several of our lot from Ashma and Wolvo getting a lift in there one oldies.....we were im afraid a bit OTT for the regular liftee's, and thought it best to not put on them again, as our exceses and off the box ways left the lads a bit agog to say the least

I know its about 30 years late but sorry for that

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert