Bettye Lavette, Jon Bon Jovi & Obama

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest selectasoul

We were all spoilt rotten in the 1980s, when Bettye was available, now Mr Presidents got her and The Who and A listers stand and watch in awe !

Amazing Rob, I was just remembering the afternoon we spent with Bettye in Detroit in 1987 when she was down and out of luck , the following are the last words from the resulting article in SOUL SURVIVOR MAGAZINE # 8.

"As the Bettye Lavette story draws to an end let me leave you with the image of her practising each day to keep her voice in shape by singing along at home to her records - an exercise she performs each day - and leave you with the thought that unless the unlikely happens neither you nor I will ever see one of the greatest voices in Soul Music in action"

It's a strange World Rob

Cheers Ric

Social source share

Guest selectasoul

Amazing Rob, I was just remembering the afternoon we spent with Bettye in Detroit in 1987 when she was down and out of luck , the following are the last words from the resulting article in SOUL SURVIVOR MAGAZINE # 8.

"As the Bettye Lavette story draws to an end let me leave you with the image of her practising each day to keep her voice in shape by singing along at home to her records - an exercise she performs each day - and leave you with the thought that unless the unlikely happens neither you nor I will ever see one of the greatest voices in Soul Music in action"

It's a strange World Rob

Cheers Ric

Forgot to mention Tats was there as well , the day before he had been reduced to tears listening to "Let Me Down Easy" on headphones in Kops record store in Toronto.

Social source share

It's a strange World Rob

Cheers Ric

Hi Ric

you know the story as well myself and tats

your address book, tats crying in Martins shop and meeting up with Bettye for lunch.

bringing her over.

Now look at the company she is keeping!

Was at the Fame studios in Muscle Shoals with Karen July 2007 and missed her by a week !

I love stuff like this

Sean, great link and I love Jon Bon Jovis voice on this as well !

Rob

Social source share

Forgot to mention Tats was there as well , the day before he had been reduced to tears listening to "Let Me Down Easy" on headphones in Kops record store in Toronto.

HI Ric / Rob

Dusty record shops always have that effect on me !. Wonderfull memories, i am truly elated that Bettye has realised some

of her dreams, you don't get a much bigger gig than that......super talent. and a great, great, party animal !! i would love to have

witnessed her in the White house party. Rob dig those ASDA photoes out.

Tats

Social source share

HI Ric / Rob

Dusty record shops always have that effect on me !. Wonderfull memories, i am truly elated that Bettye has realised some

of her dreams, you don't get a much bigger gig than that......super talent. and a great, great, party animal !! i would love to have

witnessed her in the White house party. Rob dig those ASDA photoes out.

Tats

I dig the F^^king lot out one day !

Social source share

What a terrible shame, though, that they had that warbling pop puppet Beyonce butchering "At Last" in front of the presidential couple when they could have had Etta James doing the song true justice ...

thought tuesday was sour post day ?

heres another take on things...

At last, her signature song will take its place in history.

Sitting in her California home and chatting on the phone with her son, an emotional Etta James watched Beyonc serenade the First Couple on inauguration night with the love song she made famous.

"She thought it was great," said Donto James, 40, who stayed on the phone with his mom throughout the couple's first dance of the evening. "She's gotten emotional, just like everybody else."

In what is sure to become one of the enduring images of Inauguration Day, Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, danced cheek to cheek as Beyonc belted out the soulful ballad, "At Last."

Donto James said his 70-year-old mother heard several days ago that the famous song, her version of which was released in 1961 - the year Obama was born - would play a pivotal role on the historic day.

"She was looking forward to seeing it," he said. "She was honored."

The singer was moved by Obama's victory but was too under the weather to go to Washington, her son said. James has suffered complications from a 2003 gastric bypass surgery that helped her lose 200 pounds.

"She was a little down that she wasn't well enough to be there," Donto James said.

"At Last" was written in 1941 by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren and performed by Glenn Miller and Nat King Cole. But it was James' sultry rendition that made the song a classic - and earned her a lifetime achievement Grammy and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Social source share

thought tuesday was sour post day ?

heres another take on things...

At last, her signature song will take its place in history.

Sitting in her California home and chatting on the phone with her son, an emotional Etta James watched Beyonc serenade the First Couple on inauguration night with the love song she made famous.

"She thought it was great," said Donto James, 40, who stayed on the phone with his mom throughout the couple's first dance of the evening. "She's gotten emotional, just like everybody else."

In what is sure to become one of the enduring images of Inauguration Day, Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, danced cheek to cheek as Beyonc belted out the soulful ballad, "At Last."

Donto James said his 70-year-old mother heard several days ago that the famous song, her version of which was released in 1961 - the year Obama was born - would play a pivotal role on the historic day.

"She was looking forward to seeing it," he said. "She was honored."

The singer was moved by Obama's victory but was too under the weather to go to Washington, her son said. James has suffered complications from a 2003 gastric bypass surgery that helped her lose 200 pounds.

"She was a little down that she wasn't well enough to be there," Donto James said.

"At Last" was written in 1941 by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren and performed by Glenn Miller and Nat King Cole. But it was James' sultry rendition that made the song a classic - and earned her a lifetime achievement Grammy and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Sorry Mike ! LOL !

But, you know, I can't count the number of times I've seen and heard truly legendary blues and soul artists - in the twilight of their careers - being complimentary towards far, far lesser performers, as here. Excuse my cynicism, but I believe, in most cases, the legends are simply being respectful, dignified and courteous towards these pretenders, and more than anything doing it out of appreciation of the belated recognition of their work; the legends have nothing to gain by being negative and sour in their old age.

I read one interview with Bobby Bland (was it in Mojo Magazine?) last year on Mick Hucknall's tribute to Bobby and couldn't help feeling that the tone of Bobby's responses consisted of the minimum amount of common politeness through gritted teeth as regards Hucknall and Hucknall's singing.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Sorry Mike ! LOL !

But, you know, I can't count the number of times I've seen and heard truly legendary blues and soul artists - in the twilight of their careers - being complimentary towards far, far lesser performers, as here. Excuse my cynicism, but I believe, in most cases, the legends are simply being respectful, dignified and courteous towards these pretenders, and more than anything doing it out of appreciation of the belated recognition of their work; the legends have nothing to gain by being negative and sour in their old age.

I read one interview with Bobby Bland (was it in Mojo Magazine?) last year on Mick Hucknall's tribute to Bobby and couldn't help feeling that the tone of Bobby's responses consisted of the minimum amount of common politeness through gritted teeth as regards Hucknall and Hucknall's singing.

yeah but hucknall is an annoying ginger twat ....whereas beyonce done a good version of it

Social source share

yeah but hucknall is an annoying ginger twat ....whereas beyonce done a good version of it

Yes, but all that sparrow-like nasal warbling and pseudo vocal gymnastics that Beyonce and every popette since Mariah Carey have indulged in. Truly awful and totally unsuited to the song!

Etta James is a pure soul and blues singer, Beyonce is definitely not ...

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert