Krystal Generation Question

Blake H

Playing through some of my old tapes I came across a track by Krystol Generation "Unsatisfied with the merchandise" Mister Chand. had a search round 'tinternet and found this article.....

Led by Joyce Smith and accompanied by Darlene Arnold, Mary Shelley and Mary Lead, Krystal Generation had eight single releases on four different labels before tossing in the white towel. The Chicago-based group was part of Simtec & Wylie's road show. Two initial releases: "Good Man" b/w "I've Got to Leave Him" and "I'm Gonna Build" b/w "Hard Knot to Swallow" came out on Simtec & Wylie's T-Box Records, named after the Tea Boxes Band that backed the revue on the road. Fred White, Maurice's brother, was part of the Simtec & Wylie revue before leaving to join his brothers in Earth, Wind & Fire. Pamela Moffett, who later collaborated with Smokey Robinson and Eugene Record, co-wrote "Good Man." Neither hit, so they tried Twinight Records for a one-off: "Is It Meant to Be" b/w "Satisfied" (1970) which bombed.

They cut three singles on Gene Chandler's Mr. Chand label. The first, "Wanted Dead or Alive" (1971), was a small local hit. The others, "Please Stop Don't Walk Out" and "Where Does Love Go," never emerged. A final release on CMC Records, a lovely remake of Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World," deserved to chart, but failed too. Despite their dismal recording career, they kept going for quite awhile, appearing in clubs and other venues before quitting to pursue easier goals. A shame -- recording companies loved artists like Krystal Generation. They were entertainers, on the road doing gigs at clubs, not hanging around the company bugging the owner for money. Yet, it never happened for the talented quartet. Such is the music business. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

My question is did the other two Mr Chand releases "Please stop" and "Where does love go" ever see the light of day?

I guess "Unsatisfied" was the B side of one of these, I think mine was a double sided demo.

Thanks

Blake

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

JM's guide shows

Wanted dead or alive/every man seems to be for himself Chand8006

Please dont walk out the door/Unsatisfied Chand8010

Plus all th other ones mentioned in the article plus one on Buddah

regards

Ian

Social source share

JM's guide shows

Wanted dead or alive/every man seems to be for himself Chand8006

Please dont walk out the door/Unsatisfied Chand8010

Plus all th other ones mentioned in the article plus one on Buddah

regards

Ian

Cheers Ian, I've lent my JM guide out at the mo so thanks.

Anyone got label scans?

Blake

Social source share

Wanted got a UK release:

KRYSTAL GENERATION MERCURY 6052121 WANTED:DEAD OR ALIVE / EVERY MAN SEEMS TO BE FOR HIMSELF

I can do you scans of these US 45s if you need them:

KRYSTAL GENERATION MISTER CHAND 8006 DJ WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE / SAME

KRYSTAL GENERATION MISTER CHAND 8012 DJ AIN'T NO WAY TO LIVE / SAME

KRYSTAL GENERATION TWINIGHT 138 SATISFIED / IS IT MEANT TO BE

Regards

Paul

Social source share

Playing through some of my old tapes I came across a track by Krystol Generation "Unsatisfied with the merchandise" Mister Chand. had a search round 'tinternet and found this article.....

Led by Joyce Smith and accompanied by Darlene Arnold, Mary Shelley and Mary Lead, Krystal Generation had eight single releases on four different labels before tossing in the white towel. The Chicago-based group was part of Simtec & Wylie's road show. Two initial releases: "Good Man" b/w "I've Got to Leave Him" and "I'm Gonna Build" b/w "Hard Knot to Swallow" came out on Simtec & Wylie's T-Box Records, named after the Tea Boxes Band that backed the revue on the road. Fred White, Maurice's brother, was part of the Simtec & Wylie revue before leaving to join his brothers in Earth, Wind & Fire. Pamela Moffett, who later collaborated with Smokey Robinson and Eugene Record, co-wrote "Good Man." Neither hit, so they tried Twinight Records for a one-off: "Is It Meant to Be" b/w "Satisfied" (1970) which bombed.

They cut three singles on Gene Chandler's Mr. Chand label. The first, "Wanted Dead or Alive" (1971), was a small local hit. The others, "Please Stop Don't Walk Out" and "Where Does Love Go," never emerged. A final release on CMC Records, a lovely remake of Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World," deserved to chart, but failed too. Despite their dismal recording career, they kept going for quite awhile, appearing in clubs and other venues before quitting to pursue easier goals. A shame -- recording companies loved artists like Krystal Generation. They were entertainers, on the road doing gigs at clubs, not hanging around the company bugging the owner for money. Yet, it never happened for the talented quartet. Such is the music business. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

My question is did the other two Mr Chand releases "Please stop" and "Where does love go" ever see the light of day?

I guess "Unsatisfied" was the B side of one of these, I think mine was a double sided demo.

Thanks

Blake

i have all 3 krystal generation 45s on mr. chand, I can post the scan of the one you want to see when I get home. One of them is almost impossible to find with the flip, I got the stock copy out of a stack of gene-chandler related stuff someone brought to a record show after looking for at least 10 years for it.

krystal generation are also the same group as tender touch on paramount, at least one of the sides is identical to the cmc release

Social source share

i have all 3 krystal generation 45s on mr. chand, I can post the scan of the one you want to see when I get home. One of them is almost impossible to find with the flip, I got the stock copy out of a stack of gene-chandler related stuff someone brought to a record show after looking for at least 10 years for it.

krystal generation are also the same group as tender touch on paramount, at least one of the sides is identical to the cmc release

That would be great Boba......looks like the old story, demoed out to radio stations/deejays etc and very limited release if any.

Thanks all

Blake

Social source share

Bob,

Always been fascinated by the tune "Wanted Dead or Alive", do you have any interesting info on the track in light of the fact that there was (to my knowledge) three versions by: Krystal Generation, The Hypnotics and most notably The Voices of East Harlem.

Who recorded it first ? And are there any other versions than those mentioned ?

Social source share

Bob,

Always been fascinated by the tune "Wanted Dead or Alive", do you have any interesting info on the track in light of the fact that there was (to my knowledge) three versions by: Krystal Generation, The Hypnotics and most notably The Voices of East Harlem.

Who recorded it first ? And are there any other versions than those mentioned ?

I am not 100 sure but I think the krystal generation recorded it first, it was a hit for them. There was some sort of st louis connection as the hypnotics were based there and the krystal generation at least recorded there at some point (the CMC studio). I don't know any other version besides the voices of east harlem. Also, as I'm sure you know the hypnotics version is titled differently.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert