Sound Monitors

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

You been there, the rooms packed and swinging suddenly the power turns all your gear off ! Sound monitor kicks in ! TURN IT DOWN !well i was talking to a fellow dj and he told me the men in suits want all places that play live or recorded music to fit monitors ,DO YOU KNOW ANY THING ABOUT IT ,

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You been there, the rooms packed and swinging suddenly the power turns all your gear off ! Sound monitor kicks in ! TURN IT DOWN !well i was talking to a fellow dj and he told me the men in suits want all places that play live or recorded music to fit monitors ,DO YOU KNOW ANY THING ABOUT IT ,

I like my music loud.

Happened to me years ago. Perfectly good well attended soul club I promoted, all of a sudden the council made us fit a monitor. That was the reason I stopped it. After spending the previous 15 years dancing next to every speaker I could find things didn't quite sound the same.

Kev

Social source share

i know exactly how it feels! playing in various bands over the last few yrs has made this a nightmare. a drum kit will trip most of these things, thats even before amps kick in.

sign it folks, after all, the 5Kw rig at the grosvenor rooms sound fantastic, i'd like to keep it LOUD n CLEAR :shades:

Social source share

I like my music loud.

Happened to me years ago. Perfectly good well attended soul club I promoted, all of a sudden the council made us fit a monitor. That was the reason I stopped it. After spending the previous 15 years dancing next to every speaker I could find things didn't quite sound the same.

Kev

I'm with you,if it happens at my venue would probably

call it a day

It's gotta be Loud

Steve a.

Social source share

WATCH OUT FOR MORE OF THIS COMING--EC REGULATIONS TO PROTECT THE HEARING OF BAR STAFF ETC, :ohmy: ASK ANY OF THE BRIDLINGTON DJs LAST YEAR WHO HAD TO SIGN FOR HEARING PROTECTION (EAR PLUGS) FOR USE WHEN DJing I KID YOU NOT g.gif

R&K

signed the pettion

Can confirm the above.

Daftest thing is though the quietest place is behind the decks as all the sound is in front of you so if we have earplugs in it sounds quieter so we turn it up!

Best thing was seeing Kev Thomas wearing his up his nostrils :g:

Petition signed...

Social source share

WATCH OUT FOR MORE OF THIS COMING--EC REGULATIONS TO PROTECT THE HEARING OF BAR STAFF ETC, :ohmy: ASK ANY OF THE BRIDLINGTON DJs LAST YEAR WHO HAD TO SIGN FOR HEARING PROTECTION (EAR PLUGS) FOR USE WHEN DJing I KID YOU NOT :g:

R&K

signed the pettion

What's the problem with wanting to protect the hearing of staff?. It's slightly more important don't you think!.. You can have sound at a sensible level to protect staff and not lose any of the atmosphere from your room. I welcome them and wish all venue's had them.

It's the quality of the sound not the bl**dy volume that's important. There is nothing worse than a sound system that's too loud and the quality is just crap. So many Dj's turn it up too loud when it is not necessary because, as Martin said, from behind the decks the sounds is gonna be fairly crap and nothing like what you hear from the other side of the speakers - you're stood in completely the wrong place to judge it. (unless you got good monitors which most venue's dont have).

Jayne.

Social source share

WATCH OUT FOR MORE OF THIS COMING--EC REGULATIONS TO PROTECT THE HEARING OF BAR STAFF ETC, :ohmy: ASK ANY OF THE BRIDLINGTON DJs LAST YEAR WHO HAD TO SIGN FOR HEARING PROTECTION (EAR PLUGS) FOR USE WHEN DJing I KID YOU NOT :g:

R&K

signed the pettion

wonder if I can go and claim compo from a promotor who puts on a night that I frequent and after a while find myself with hearing difficulties? or the venue for not protecting me as a customer.. wouldn't surprise me if someone tries that at some point y'know...

Jayne.x smile.gif

Social source share

I like my music loud.

Kev

Yep, same here people complained about noise (although the council measured it and it was ok.) at a venue I was promoting a night with a friend of mine. It went to court 3 times but in the end the owner lost. Well, the value of the flats above increased by 40%!!! (Baker Street)....

At the same time I was working for a big pub/ bar operator and we had trouble with the neighbours. The pup was build in 1845 and was also listed but because a big company was behind it, we never ever lost in court (it went twice to court)!!!

Bugger them!

Social source share

What's the problem with wanting to protect the hearing of staff?. It's slightly more important don't you think!.. You can have sound at a sensible level to protect staff and not lose any of the atmosphere from your room. I welcome them and wish all venue's had them.

It's the quality of the sound not the bl**dy volume that's important. There is nothing worse than a sound system that's too loud and the quality is just crap. So many Dj's turn it up too loud when it is not necessary because, as Martin said, from behind the decks the sounds is gonna be fairly crap and nothing like what you hear from the other side of the speakers - you're stood in completely the wrong place to judge it. (unless you got good monitors which most venue's dont have).

Jayne.

Good post Jayne. While I dont want the music to be too low, lots of venues from small soul nights to the big all nighters just have the volume way too loud. Like you say very often the level is perfect and then a dj comes on and cranks it up distorting everything. Often when i've been out its pointless trying to talk to me the next day cos I cant hear a thing. To those who mention dancing in front of the speakers -tinitus is not pleasant trust me.

Also I see peope talking to each other in venues and think how the F*ck can they hear anything?

I normally just nod my head and smile - after asking someone to repeat themselves 3 or 4 times I give up.

Steve, ears f*cked after 20 years in the pit and too many nights out :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Good post Jayne. While I dont want the music to be too low, lots of venues from small soul nights to the big all nighters just have the volume way too loud. Like you say very often the level is perfect and then a dj comes on and cranks it up distorting everything. Often when i've been out its pointless trying to talk to me the next day cos I cant hear a thing. To those who mention dancing in front of the speakers -tinitus is not pleasant trust me.

Also I see peope talking to each other in venues and think how the F*ck can they hear anything?

I normally just nod my head and smile - after asking someone to repeat themselves 3 or 4 times I give up.

while i agree to a certain extent ,Iv been dj,ing with my own gear in a social club with one ,and lets face it in general soul isnt like drum and bass or tecno and the thing kept going off all the time and i was watching the L E Ds all the time and it never sounded that loud, no one would mind if it was fair but its not and trust me is will be another nail in the coffin of pubs and clubs to hold soul do's.its hard enough now what with public liability and pat testing ,

Social source share

Pardon! laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well i do mobile disco's with my dad and i know it's not always Northern but to have these installed is wrong

now don't get me wrong i am sure they are for the best, bar staff don't need to worry since i am sure the sound from where they are is not that loud compared to where you are near a speaker

but to be honest the worst thing is they install them you DJ and think sound is ok until opps gone over limit the music stops, people moan and then what happens if it does it once or twice. They say he ain't a good DJ not aware that maybe a sound monitor is installed and before you know it. There is no more bookings cause word gets round your not a good DJ.

i would urge we all sign this

Social source share

Well i do mobile disco's with my dad and i know it's not always Northern but to have these installed is wrong

now don't get me wrong i am sure they are for the best, bar staff don't need to worry since i am sure the sound from where they are is not that loud compared to where you are near a speaker

but to be honest the worst thing is they install them you DJ and think sound is ok until opps gone over limit the music stops, people moan and then what happens if it does it once or twice. They say he ain't a good DJ not aware that maybe a sound monitor is installed and before you know it. There is no more bookings cause word gets round your not a good DJ.

i would urge we all sign this

I would urge DJ's to go around the room towards the end of the spot of the Dj before them and take a listen.

(Listen to a few tracks to allow for the state of the vinyl or god forbid the difference between a cd track and vinyl) if it sounds fine, why change it? if it doesn't then tell the dj who's on and help him get it right or if your not comfortable doing this or he won't listen, then change it when you go on and get someone else to stand back middle of the room and tell you what it sounds like. I also wish DJs would bear in mind also that it's going to sound different when the venue's empty compared to when you've a busy room later on. early and later spots (or whenever its quiet) it's doesn't need as much power as when you've got a full room.

There is no need for this monitoring system to stop people running soul nights. I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose business. Its upto good management of the venue to get the monitoring levels right and

to a good promotor to understand how it should sound. I'm still amazed at the generally crap quality of sound equipment at many soul nights.

Jayne.x

Social source share

while i agree to a certain extent ,Iv been dj,ing with my own gear in a social club with one ,and lets face it in general soul isnt like drum and bass or tecno and the thing kept going off all the time and i was watching the L E Ds all the time and it never sounded that loud, no one would mind if it was fair but its not and trust me is will be another nail in the coffin of pubs and clubs to hold soul do's.its hard enough now what with public liability and pat testing ,

Doesn't matter what kind of music it is really, too many DB's are too many DB's.. (IMO) :wave:

There was a programme about this on telly a few years ago, dismissing the suggestion that listening to heavy metal music was more damaging than I think it was an air craft they used as well as other types of music. I remember Bruce Dickinson being interviewed on it.. hmmm wonder if I've still got a copy.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Steve, ears f*cked after 20 years in the pit and too many nights out :wave:

Hi Steve,

Maybe DJ's think that if they turn the volume up, more people will get up and dance to their spot?.. they think they need to wake the room up?.. g.gif

I've pretty much given up talking to people inside the main room at venues. I'll stand quietly and Listen. I've spent too long screwing my voice up trying to talk. I'll spend half my night (or more) stood in record bars or foyers now when I want to chat.

See you in a foyer somewhere soon. :D

Jayne.x

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Maybe DJ's think that if they turn the volume up, more people will get up and dance to their spot?.. they think they need to wake the room up?.. g.gif

I've pretty much given up talking to people inside the main room at venues. I'll stand quietly and Listen. I've spent too long screwing my voice up trying to talk. I'll spend half my night (or more) stood in record bars or foyers now when I want to chat.

Jayne.x

Ok Jayne its a date :wave:

Social source share

Steve, ears f*cked after 20 years in the pit and too many nights out laugh.gif

Steve ... it won't be long before the civil cases start and I guess as DJ's are effectively self employed contractors the following must apply

2. Section 3(2) of the HSW Act states: "It shall be the duty of every self-employed person to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that he, and other persons (not being his employees) who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety through the playing of crap sounds, bootlegs and carvers or by cranking it up" :wave:

Social source share

Well this is the way I see it.

I am in the licensing trade. And you cannot beat the authorities.

You play ball or they wont play ball with you.

It is not something they will dismiss. Your license may be revoked if you do not comply.

If you like a venue, a decent system should be encouraged, and everyone is happy all round.

I cannot agree more with other posters on here about the awfully distorted music belting out of the speakers at full blast.

And the times I have agreed with someone talking to me, not knowing what the heck he/she was on about, and probably looking very stupid!!

P :wave:

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

It is not something they will dismiss. Your license may be revoked if you do not comply.

If you like a venue, a decent system should be encouraged, and everyone is happy all round.

I cannot agree more with other posters on here about the awful, distorted music belting out of the speakers at full blast.

And the times I have agreed with someone talking to me, not knowing what the heck he/she was on about, and probably looking very stupid!!

P :wave:

LOL - biggrin.gif it's so true!!! you're not on your own there.. :-)))

Jayne.x

Social source share

Steve ... it won't be long before the civil cases start and I guess as DJ's are effectively self employed contractors the following must apply

2. Section 3(2) of the HSW Act states: "It shall be the duty of every self-employed person to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that he, and other persons (not being his employees) who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety through the playing of crap sounds, bootlegs and carvers or by cranking it up" :wave:

LOL :lol:

Soul clubs with flyers listing their ISO certifications next... rolleyes.gif

Jayne.x :D

Social source share

It's the quality of the sound not the bl**dy volume that's important. There is nothing worse than a sound system that's too loud and the quality is just crap.

:D

:):lol:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

How awful, having to have safe equipment! :)

its not about that i have it all pat tested and have done for the last 5 year and i have never had anything fail ,and the P/L is for my own peace of mind ,Not that i have ever heard of a record deck killing any one!

I also walk around the room many times in the night checking the sound.

Many times in a night I have had people ask me to turn it up,to be fair now and again people do ask for it to be turned down also and i all ways try to get a happy in be tween,as iv said before most Soul is no where near as bad as drum and bass or heavy rock ,you go to a real night club and stand on the dance floor you can feel the bass in your chest ,Or sit in your son's car ,

At the end of the day it is just another nail in the coffin of puttin nights on you the paying punters have the last say .

Social source share

its not about that i have it all pat tested and have done for the last 5 year and i have never had anything fail ,and the P/L is for my own peace of mind ,Not that i have ever heard of a record deck killing any one!

Depends if you get a mains-level shock off one! ohmy.gif

Social source share

I do a large venue in Nottingham 4 times a week, and was surprised that one of the other employees, was checking on the volume I was running at with a sound pressure meter.

As it happened, I was actually just about "on the spot" with the level, but I found it ludicrous that next door, where the big name live bands appear, kicks out sound pressure levels many many times that of mine.

They tell me its actually for the benefit of the employees who are regularly subjected to the sound, and indeed I was given a set of ear plugs that supposedly didnt cut off anything other than frequencies that could damage my hearing.

I couldnt hear properly with them in, so ive never used them!

On the other side of things, I arrived at a recent gig, where the prior dj had cranked up the volume, and adjusted the EQ, so that middle frequencies were boosted way too high, and it sounded crap, and WAAAAAY too loud!

Social source share

Nothing wrong with having nice good quality clean sound @ a venue but enforcing limiters will be the kiss of death and final nail in the coffin for a lot of places. The clubs in London already have their backs against the wall with collosal losses of attendances since the smoking ban and then the recession kicked in. Having local council busybodies diluting things again will simply make it not worth going out to and the good parties will go underground.

All this bloody red tape is just killing clubland. I've seen it happen before (in New York) and it will turn this country into no-fun zone. Thank God I'm old enough to remember when there was fun and freedom in clubland.

If they'd put as much as effort into regulating the bloody banks the country wouldn't be in the mess it's in now.

Jesus, I'm sounding like my Dad.........

Sign the petition for God's sake.

Ian D :no:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Nothing wrong with having nice good quality clean sound @ a venue but enforcing limiters will be the kiss of death and final nail in the coffin for a lot of places. The clubs in London already have their backs against the wall with collosal losses of attendances since the smoking ban and then the recession kicked in. Having local council busybodies diluting things again will simply make it not worth going out to and the good parties will go underground.

All this bloody red tape is just killing clubland. I've seen it happen before (in New York) and it will turn this country into no-fun zone. Thank God I'm old enough to remember when there was fun and freedom in clubland.

If they'd put as much as effort into regulating the bloody banks the country wouldn't be in the mess it's in now.

Jesus, I'm sounding like my Dad.........

Sign the petition for God's sake.

Good post spot on ,from what iv read this could be a bit of a urban story lets hope so?

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Mrs. Killjoy writes:

I think the petition's a hoax. If it isn't, it should be. I personally can't stand it when the music's whacked up so high that it distorts the sound. Usually by a DJ whose idea of microphone technique is to screech "Dance, you f**kers" as they introduce a record. Quality is the key, as has been said.

Concerns about sound levels are valid. Sustained exposure above 85 dB permanently damages hearing. In the past, many workers acquired hearing loss due to the levels of noise in industry: one of the posters on this thread has already mentioned mining. Quite rightly, Health and Safety legislation was brought in to protect workers' hearing. However, there's still a risk posed by how we spend our leisure time, or for staff working in pubs and clubs.

The level that causes irreversible damage is not as loud as you might think. Even if we escape noise-induced hearing loss, we all lose some hearing naturally as we age (presbyacusis) so it'd be daft not to try to hang on to what we've got.

My hearing's been slightly damaged by years of exposure to loud music and I accept this as a trade-off for some good times. But I don't want to take more of a risk than I need to. I don't think any of us would want to lose the ability to listen to the music that we love in years to come. Once it's gone, it's gone for good!

Link below with more info-

RNID Don't Lose The Music campaign

Social source share

Mrs. Killjoy writes:

I think the petition's a hoax. If it isn't, it should be. I personally can't stand it when the music's whacked up so high that it distorts the sound. Usually by a DJ whose idea of microphone technique is to screech "Dance, you f**kers" as they introduce a record. Quality is the key, as has been said.

Concerns about sound levels are valid. Sustained exposure above 85 dB permanently damages hearing. In the past, many workers acquired hearing loss due to the levels of noise in industry: one of the posters on this thread has already mentioned mining. Quite rightly, Health and Safety legislation was brought in to protect workers' hearing. However, there's still a risk posed by how we spend our leisure time, or for staff working in pubs and clubs.

The level that causes irreversible damage is not as loud as you might think. Even if we escape noise-induced hearing loss, we all lose some hearing naturally as we age (presbyacusis) so it'd be daft not to try to hang on to what we've got.

My hearing's been slightly damaged by years of exposure to loud music and I accept this as a trade-off for some good times. But I don't want to take more of a risk than I need to. I don't think any of us would want to lose the ability to listen to the music that we love in years to come. Once it's gone, it's gone for good!

Link below with more info-

RNID Don't Lose The Music campaign

Agreed. It's only the limiters I'm against because I've had bad experience with 'em in the past and there's nothing worse than having a club with 1000 customers in and the sound suddenly cuts out. Also limiters tend not to take into account different circumstances. If a place is really packed the music has to cut through the increased noise levels of the crowd etc, etc.

Mind you I'm not exactly a great advert as I'm almost totally deaf whenever I'm in a club - can't hear a word anyone says to me if there's music playing - I inevitably have to retreat to a quieter location for a conversation LOL......but that's after 35 years of deejaying and I can live with it.

Also I can't stand the thought of council busybodies being involved. It's bad enough that they're now monitering my dustbins LOL.....

Social source share

How come they dont ban drink for the same Health and safety rules.if its about H&S shut the pubs.

Or ban cigs for that matter. Drink and cigs kill more people per annum than any sound system ever has.........

I wish they'd stop all this dicking around with none-consequential stuff and start dealing with the major problems.......

Ian D :lamsey:

Social source share

I cannot agree more with other posters on here about the awfully distorted music belting out of the speakers at full blast.

P :lol:

Stay at home then,thats you sorted then. biggrin.gif you probberly are stupid anyway :thumbup:

Social source share

Or ban cigs for that matter. Drink and cigs kill more people per annum than any sound system ever has.........

I wish they'd stop all this dicking around with none-consequential stuff and start dealing with the major problems.......

Ian D :lol:

Cigs should be banned. :thumbup:

Jayne.x

Social source share

How come they dont ban drink for the same Health and safety rules.if its about H&S shut the pubs.

Believe it or not, drinking in a pub can be done safely and responsibly. People don't just go to pubs to get absolutely blitzed.

Isn't it the landlord/landlady or even bar staff's responsibility to stop serving customers when they feel it's not safe to do so?.

I'm sure its the licence holders responsibility to judge when to stop serving customers.

A customer coming into a pub for a drink isn't an immediate risk to bar staff, a sound system that's too loud is.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Believe it or not, drinking in a pub can be done safely and responsibly. People don't just go to pubs to get absolutely blitzed.

Isn't it the landlord/landlady or even bar staff's responsibility to stop serving customers when they feel it's not safe to do so?.

I'm sure its the licence holders responsibility to judge when to stop serving customers.

A customer coming into a pub for a drink isn't an immediate risk to bar staff, a sound system that's too loud is.

Jayne.x.

Behave Jayne,there is no such thing as safe drinkin fact, its a drug that is highly adictive thats it, dont matter what gloss you put on it,sound isnt beside get the bar staff to wear ear defenders :thumbup: i mean if you go get a job at a club you know what to expect dont ya' ,or is pubs just a employment sceme.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Behave Jayne,there is no such thing as safe drinkin fact, its a drug that is highly adictive thats it, dont matter what gloss you put on it,sound isnt beside get the bar staff to wear ear defenders :lol: i mean if you go get a job at a club you know what to expect dont ya' ,or is pubs just a employment sceme.

well I've managed to frequent pubs as a customer for the last 18 years (OMG!!! :rolleyes: ) and don't have a drink problem, I like millons of others, regularly go to the pub for a few beers quite safely. All in moderation, isn't that the saying?.. :ohmy:

Yes, you know what to expect when you take a job on, doesn't mean it's right. Look at how many other industries have jobs that cause health problems, does't stop people doing it. When you need to earn a living, you take the work don't you.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

well I've managed to frequent pubs as a customer for the last 18 years (OMG!!! :rolleyes: ) and don't have a drink problem, I like millons of others, regularly go to the pub for a few beers quite safely. All in moderation, isn't that the saying?.. :ohmy:

Yes, you know what to expect when you take a job on, doesn't mean it's right. Look at how many other industries have jobs that cause health problems, does't stop people doing it. When you need to earn a living, you take the work don't you.

Jayne.x.

i know a few pubs where the bar staff have the juke box turned up that loud you can't have a conversation so i tend to avoid these ones.

gogs

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Hi Steve,

Maybe DJ's think that if they turn the volume up, more people will get up and dance to their spot?.. they think they need to wake the room up?.. :ohmy:

Jayne.x

I'm all for quality over volume, I have tinnitus and my partner has very poor hearing and two hearing aids as a result of 35 years plus of loud soul music :thumbup: .

Jayne, would that have been a foyer on at Elaines doo on Sat night :P

Social source share

I'm all for quality over volume, I have tinnitus and my partner has very poor hearing and two hearing aids as a result of 35 years plus of loud soul music :lol: .

Jayne, would that have been a foyer on at Elaines doo on Sat night :D

I find a piece of heavy duty masking tape, that partially covers the 'pick up' for the monitor usually does the trick.........the light continues to work, so doesnt raise any suspicions, but allows just that little more volume.............remember some years ago hanging of the balcony of a venue, desperately trying to do this, before the owners came in & caught me. worked a treat !!!!.

Russ

Social source share

I'm all for quality over volume, I have tinnitus and my partner has very poor hearing and two hearing aids as a result of 35 years plus of loud soul music :lol: .

Jayne, would that have been a foyer on at Elaines doo on Sat night :D

LOL exactly Phil. :lol:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert