Rod Dearlove's "a Collector's Guide To Detroit"

Hi all

I have an original printed copy of Rod Dearlove's A Collector's Guide To Detroit.

It came on double-sided printed pages bound with one of those plastic strips.

Well, over time, I got the pages all mixed up.

Real trainspotter question this one, but does anyone know the original order of pages please (should be able to reference this by the Detroit label mentioned at the top of each page)? :unsure:

I'll get my anorak ... :thumbup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi all

I have an original printed copy of Rod Dearlove's A Collector's Guide To Detroit.

It came on double-sided printed pages bound with one of those plastic strips.

Well, over time, I got the pages all mixed up.

Real trainspotter question this one, but does anyone know the original order of pages please (should be able to reference this by the Detroit label mentioned at the top of each page)? :unsure:

I'll get my anorak ... :thumbup:

Cheers

Richard

It could be

etc.

Tony

Social source share

It could be

etc.

Tony

Ha Ha!

If I remember correctly, this 'mag' didn't have pages numbered, nor a contents page.

So I'm almost sure I numbered them myself - and made up my own contents page for it so that I could find things easier plus actually know what's in the thing! :unsure:

If no one comes up with anything, give me a reminder in a day or so and I'll copy the 'contents' page for it and let you have it.

You ought to then be able to sort out the page order from it. :thumbup:

I won't have time to do it until at least Sunday though... hope that's OK for you?

Social source share

Ha Ha!

If I remember correctly, this 'mag' didn't have pages numbered, nor a contents page.

So I'm almost sure I numbered them myself - and made up my own contents page for it so that I could find things easier plus actually know what's in the thing! :D

If no one comes up with anything, give me a reminder in a day or so and I'll copy the 'contents' page for it and let you have it.

You ought to then be able to sort out the page order from it. :lol:

I won't have time to do it until at least Sunday though... hope that's OK for you?

Hi John your correct on this it did not have numberd pages,you had to sort them out for yourself,but i sorted mine in label order ie A B C etc.This was a godsend many years ago i have collected Detroit records for over 30+ years now and i still to this day refer to it on the odd occasion,but i did compile my own catalouge thing about 20 years ago with the missing numbers matrix nos/stamps,colours of different label designs etc,if you ever need a copy give me a pm etc and ill foward one on to you,just got to dig them out from all the other stuff ive accumilated over the years.

I dont know if Rod was the 1st person to compile a near complete list but it must of took some doing all those years ago(days well before the internet thingy) as i said a true godsend it was for me anyway,well done to Rod and thanks.

Toby.

Social source share

Yep what i like about it was it was not only a comprehensive quide back then and the only quide but also there is a great section in it about british tracks/detroit recordings and also different backing tracks on different detroit logos etc ie clarence jackson etc.Funnily enough i dug mine out last night to still refer to it for an article im doing for Dave Moores mag,a timeless mag,we have discussed before on here.

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

Yep what i like about it was it was not only a comprehensive quide back then and the only quide but also there is a great section in it about british tracks/detroit recordings and also different backing tracks on different detroit logos etc ie clarence jackson etc.Funnily enough i dug mine out last night to still refer to it for an article im doing for Dave Moores mag,a timeless mag,we have discussed before on here.

BAZ A :thumbsup:

I was only thumbing thru mine a couple of weeks ago too!!!!!

Amazing feat by Rod at the time methinks?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I was only thumbing thru mine a couple of weeks ago too!!!!!

Amazing feat by Rod at the time methinks?

Cheers

Steve

Hi As one of the contributors to this publication many years ago I thought that you might be interested to know that I am just about to have published an in-depth guide to black music from Detroit and south Michigan, called `GROOVESVILLE USA`. starting in the early 50s up until the 80s but with the main focus being on the 60s. It is about Blues, R&B, Soul, Gospel & Funk but not main stream Motown. It will cover its early labels such as Tri Phi and Harvey etc that would eventually become part of Motown. Also, inevitably it will also include some none black music information for a couple of reasons - a/ Detroit's music scene was incredibly multi cultural and many acts were mixed race, black, white, arab etc and b/ most Detroit labels carried different styles of music, not just Soul and because there are so many Detroit label completists out there I have included all releases. Fortune Records for example is awash with different styles of music. (Obviously I haven't included labels that didn't issue Soul type music). At the last count I have listed about 750 labels. There will be three sections to the book - the labels with address and owner where known, plus all acts that recorded for it. Then the acts themselves, giving as much info as I can and then the story behind it all. Stuart Russell, who you will know from `The In Crowd` and a couple of years ago, Manifesto magazine is designing and producing it for me and he is working on it right now. I engaged Stuart because of the marvellous job he did on `CENtral 1179`. We are hoping to get it printed and on sale as soon as possible, Easter is my target! I will of course let folks know when it happens.

Social source share

Hi As one of the contributors to this publication many years ago I thought that you might be interested to know that I am just about to have published an in-depth guide to black music from Detroit and south Michigan, called `GROOVESVILLE USA`. starting in the early 50s up until the 80s but with the main focus being on the 60s. It is about Blues, R&B, Soul, Gospel & Funk but not main stream Motown. It will cover its early labels such as Tri Phi and Harvey etc that would eventually become part of Motown. Also, inevitably it will also include some none black music information for a couple of reasons - a/ Detroit's music scene was incredibly multi cultural and many acts were mixed race, black, white, arab etc and b/ most Detroit labels carried different styles of music, not just Soul and because there are so many Detroit label completists out there I have included all releases. Fortune Records for example is awash with different styles of music. (Obviously I haven't included labels that didn't issue Soul type music). At the last count I have listed about 750 labels. There will be three sections to the book - the labels with address and owner where known, plus all acts that recorded for it. Then the acts themselves, giving as much info as I can and then the story behind it all. Stuart Russell, who you will know from `The In Crowd` and a couple of years ago, Manifesto magazine is designing and producing it for me and he is working on it right now. I engaged Stuart because of the marvellous job he did on `CENtral 1179`. We are hoping to get it printed and on sale as soon as possible, Easter is my target! I will of course let folks know when it happens.

Sounds fantastic, must have taken years of blood sweat and tears and roaches. Look forward to getting my copy

regards

Ian

Social source share

Brilliant - will look forward to this!

With regard to Central 1179 have been looking for one of these for quite some time but with little luck. Don't suppose you could help in tracking one down could you Keith ?

Social source share

Brilliant - will look forward to this!

With regard to Central 1179 have been looking for one of these for quite some time but with little luck. Don't suppose you could help in tracking one down could you Keith ?

Hi

Just before Christmas there was a batch for sale at a place called Music Book Are Us or something very near to that, they are based in Cornwall. They were £20@ but apparently sold out pretty quickly. They told someone they were trying to get more - so I'd check them out. Avoid Amazon as they are going for silly money on there.

Cheers

Keith

Social source share

Hi

Just before Christmas there was a batch for sale at a place called Music Book Are Us or something very near to that, they are based in Cornwall. They were £20@ but apparently sold out pretty quickly. They told someone they were trying to get more - so I'd check them out. Avoid Amazon as they are going for silly money on there.

Cheers

Keith

Keith - you are a star! Just ordered a copy at the price you stated.

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

Social source share

Well, here you go:

Hope they're clear enough to read, it's quite a few years since I did it wink.gif

Note, no typewriters or printers in those days :lol:

In the days before typewriters John? :rolleyes:

I knew you were very, very, old, but that must make you around 150!

:g:

Great read. I've still got my copy, bought at Cleggy way back when.

A real labour of love from Rod and the lads.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Funeee...! :lol:

That meant before I owned one... but I guess you knew that's what I meant :shades:

Steve

I'm glad you got one. returning to Rod's guide and a major contributor, Bob Foster. Bob and I have known each other since 1967, Bob came from Hemsworth in south Yorks. He was one of the first collectors to go to Detroit, where he was guided around by Martin Koppel, another Yorkshire lad who came from Goole. By the end of the 70s Bob amassed one of the best Detroit collections out side of the USA; Ron Murphy in Michigan, Lars Nilsson in Sweden and a guy in Wimbledon, all had great collections. Those were the days when Martin Koppel sold Detroit records in 100 count boxes for £10 and so when the prices started going through the roof, Bob stopped buying and gradually sold his collection. He still remains however very knowlegeable about Detroit Soul but prefers 60s Ska, Blue Beat and Rock Steady now a days.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert