Sharon Mcmann-on Manships

• Replies 57
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If this is Lonette McKee she shure fooled me. Not exactly 'black' even if her great grandmother or something might have been... Or is this anothar artist? Sorry for lifting this pic from somewhere else btw.

post-1441-1115643917_thumb.jpg

link

Seems to be mixed race.

Social source share

Which leads us on to another fairly unrelated issue. Why is it that a person that has 3 white (scandinavian if you like) and 1 african ancestor is still referred to as 'black' when they are 75% white? I have always wondered why a person who doesn't look even remotely 'black' or african neither in tone nor in features and at a guess is probably 25 %, or less, 'black' is referred to as black? Maybe a heritage from the slave days? One of life's mysteries I guess.

Social source share

The picture looks like a young Lonette McKee.

From IMDB:

She was ranked in People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" in 1995.

Was the first black actress to play Julie in a major American stage production of "Show Boat".

Father is of African-American, Native-American and European descent; mother is Norwegian-American

Began career as a recording artist in Detroit as a teen, signed with the Detroit-based M-S label. Released an album on the Sussex label in 1974.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

What is American in Norwegian-American? Former English? :D She was very pretty even if I don't see how she can be called a 'black' actress (the reason she was the first black actress was most likely that she looks practically white don't you think? :shades: ). BTW, she was born in 1954 apparently, according to a web site I found.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Baz

Ray Pollard "This Time" is good, Prophets is pretty good, Cairos a bit crazy but good, a couple more are also pretty good but on the whole I feel most of the stuff is a bit weak. Tinny and noisy productions with far too many instruments making noise at the same time, there is also a certain thinness to the sound (and not in a good way IMO) on most tunes. I don't hate it (except Les Chansonettes, pure horror) I just think it is very overrated and there is not much there that justifies the extreme hype.

link

when some of the unissed stuff came out on british one DJ (who i shall not name) introduced it as superb detroit :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert