Here's As Good A Place To Ask As Any

Guest Beeks

• Replies 90
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tennesse Ernie Ford.... If RnB rooms wanna play that stuff let 'em. No skin of my nose. But it's when it's all mixed up in one room that I baulk. Bad enough subjecting my refined aural intruments to that Five Royales crap every time I go out without delving any further into the RnB, C/W, mire. Cliperteee Clop! Cliperteee Clop! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tennesse Ernie Ford.... If RnB rooms wanna play that stuff let 'em. No skin of my nose. But it's when it's all mixed up in one room that I baulk. Bad enough subjecting my refined aural intruments to that Five Royales crap every time I go out without delving any further into the RnB, C/W, mire. Cliperteee Clop! Cliperteee Clop! :thumbsup:

Cliperteee Clop, Cliperteee Clop. Is that how you dance Dave?

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

See Kid Mohair played Milton Grayson - It Ain't Necessarily So.... not much difference in tempo and style to 16 tons :lol: , you'll like that one as well Beeks ? Maybe...??

Is this the George Gershwin song? I love it. Anyone got a sound file of this Milton Grayson version?

As for Sixteen Tons, wish i hadn't identified it now... :thumbsup:

And as for sacking DJs who might play something a bit different, no way. I'd never police a DJ's playlist, i'd just make sure i put on quality DJs who i knew would come up with the goods. I'd rather have an experimental DJ who throws in the odd curve ball now and then, than somebody who sticks to the obvious.

No Sixteen Tons at Move On, just tons of dirty 60s soul and RnB :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is this the George Gershwin song? I love it. Anyone got a sound file of this Milton Grayson version?

As for Sixteen Tons, wish i hadn't identified it now... :unsure:

And as for sacking DJs who might play something a bit different, no way. I'd never police a DJ's playlist, i'd just make sure i put on quality DJs who i knew would come up with the goods. I'd rather have an experimental DJ who throws in the odd curve ball now and then, than somebody who sticks to the obvious.

No Sixteen Tons at Move On, just tons of dirty 60s soul and RnB :thumbup:

Shit after all this debate i've just put it in my playbox!

Only joking mate, Plently of banging 60's soul/rnb and a few curve balls as you say. Looking forward to it immensely, and i've manged to drag quite a few people up/down for it. Nice to know you wont be sacking me from the decks if you dont like a record i play wink.gif

Social source share

'16 Tons' is a record that people like John Peel and Jeff Dexter have pinpointed as their first experience of 'Rock ands Roll' before the whole Elvis thing took off. Its impact is also discussed in depth in Pete Frame's 'Restless Generation' book about British rock music in the 50s. It is historically important and a bloody good pop/country record - but it's never an R'n'B sound in a million years despite what the dancefloor might think - you might as well play 'Hole in the Ground' by Bernard Cribbins; another searing critique of the harsh life of the working man... :unsure:

didn't want to get involved in this but have got to take you up something there:

'whatever the dancefloor may think'

Middleton is a dedicated soul & r&b night. everyone there I assume you would trust to be a fan of music, particularly soul & r&b music sure, but more importantly music in general. I think considering that, 'whatever a dancefloor may think' is a major consideration when deciding a tune's merits. When deciding whether a tune is 'right' to play.

Dancefloors for decades have decided that plenty of tracks that may not fit into someone's abstract definition of what is soul or r&b have been worthy of listening to and dancing to. and thank god, because a true music lover will know that 'soul' is surely more than a black person singing.

And thank god too, that artists who are unarguably blessed with a lot of soul have not been as narrow minded in their musical imagination as some of those who have been lucky enough to inherit their work. Artists like oscar brown Jr for example, who saw no problem with the track '16 tons' when he recorded his great version of it. Which, incidentaly, sounds pretty much like rhythm & blues to me.

The difference between 16 tons and 'hole in the ground' is that '16 tons' has a strong contemporary dance tempo rhythm, similar to the rhythms popular on r&b records of the time. The accompaniment on '16 tons' is not massively different to that of many 'authentic' rhythm & blues records, like, say 'try love' by Cookie Jackson. So if someone is trying to argue that the vocals and subject matter of '16 tons' put it in a completely different musical realm to the Cookie jackson then i'm sorry but the argument doesn't hold up. Probably a better example would be Frank Minion's 'how much land', which shares a similar sentiment to '16 tons'. Frank Minion was, i believe, black, and his record was not a hit so does that make it a certified r&b record and a million miles away from the T E Ford?

Of course not. Musical genres in that exciting time were not as clear cut as people seem to want them to be. There is no neat start or end to soul or rhythm & blues and, whether you like this particular track or not, I dont think anyone is more qualified to decide what is 'right' than a dancefloor full of people. and even they are not qualified to make any judgement except whether they like it or not.

I'm pretty open minded yet accept hearing lots of tracks I dont like when i'm out. But if i was to make my opinions so vocal, I'd maybe ask not whether something is the correct genre to play but whether something is good enough to play. Because i hear a lot of 100% pure 'soul' music when i'm out and about that is complete shit. '16 tons' at least, is not.

Social source share

Well I can't give a long articulative opinion on '16 tons' but what I will say is, regardless of it's merits (or lack of) musically or it's dance floor reaction, those that champion it should in future refrain from complaining about the having to travel/pay to hear the top 500 NS tunes, most forty/ fifty somethings in any enviroment will recognise TEF, so all the theories about the 1000's of tunes out there just waiting to get some turntable action and be appreciated go's right out of the window, I know it's only one tune but if that's allowed or accepted then anything is,

PE

Edited by pete60
Social source share

Guest mel brat

He could at least have done the decent thing and played it as a Cover-up. :thumbup:

Tony

Soul music in the "safe hands of the Northern Scene". Any old crap except genuine 70s Soul... :unsure:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

F*ck me, now I understand why Rod is going off on one on the other thread.

You cannot seriously tell me that this has been played out!

It's the sort of stuff me mam and dad listened to in the 50's.

Pop Hit records like this is the reason many of us got into decent music in the irst place.

Now where's my Copy of "Big Bad John"?????

Tony

My Dad had loads of MFP Country and Western Lp's he used to play that Sunday mornings when i was suffering from the 100 club..

Beeks you've out done yourself.. House is crap but this aint.. Hahahahaha what's the Northern scene coming to.

Social source share

didn't want to get involved in this but have got to take you up something there:

'whatever the dancefloor may think'

Middleton is a dedicated soul & r&b night. everyone there I assume you would trust to be a fan of music, particularly soul & r&b music sure, but more importantly music in general. I think considering that, 'whatever a dancefloor may think' is a major consideration when deciding a tune's merits. When deciding whether a tune is 'right' to play.

Dancefloors for decades have decided that plenty of tracks that may not fit into someone's abstract definition of what is soul or r&b have been worthy of listening to and dancing to. and thank god, because a true music lover will know that 'soul' is surely more than a black person singing.

And thank god too, that artists who are unarguably blessed with a lot of soul have not been as narrow minded in their musical imagination as some of those who have been lucky enough to inherit their work. Artists like oscar brown Jr for example, who saw no problem with the track '16 tons' when he recorded his great version of it. Which, incidentaly, sounds pretty much like rhythm & blues to me.

The difference between 16 tons and 'hole in the ground' is that '16 tons' has a strong contemporary dance tempo rhythm, similar to the rhythms popular on r&b records of the time. The accompaniment on '16 tons' is not massively different to that of many 'authentic' rhythm & blues records, like, say 'try love' by Cookie Jackson. So if someone is trying to argue that the vocals and subject matter of '16 tons' put it in a completely different musical realm to the Cookie jackson then i'm sorry but the argument doesn't hold up. Probably a better example would be Frank Minion's 'how much land', which shares a similar sentiment to '16 tons'. Frank Minion was, i believe, black, and his record was not a hit so does that make it a certified r&b record and a million miles away from the T E Ford?

Of course not. Musical genres in that exciting time were not as clear cut as people seem to want them to be. There is no neat start or end to soul or rhythm & blues and, whether you like this particular track or not, I dont think anyone is more qualified to decide what is 'right' than a dancefloor full of people. and even they are not qualified to make any judgement except whether they like it or not.

I'm pretty open minded yet accept hearing lots of tracks I dont like when i'm out. But if i was to make my opinions so vocal, I'd maybe ask not whether something is the correct genre to play but whether something is good enough to play. Because i hear a lot of 100% pure 'soul' music when i'm out and about that is complete shit. '16 tons' at least, is not.

I accept your arguments, but I only mentioned Bernard Cribbins as a tongue-in-cheek example of how playlisting even great and important - yet essentially novelty - tracks like '16 Tons' can lead to accusations of veering towards parody no matter what the quality of the actual record is.

Social source share

Soul music in the "safe hands of the Northern Scene". Any old crap except genuine 70s Soul... :D

what, you complaining you dont hear enough 'genuine 70s soul'?! I think there's a lot of places to hear genuine 70s soul.

Funnily enough, at the same night at Middleton - i sat for quite a while listening to a lot of great and unusual 'genuine 70s soul' up in the 'Carl Willingham' room from Sam and Mick H, so for 'genuine 70s soul' lovers, i think more than enough was on offer, although strangely there didn't seem to that much demand for it.

And funnily enough, all this great 'genuine soul' was in a room named after Mr Willingham, who I dont know personally but have heard play a few times and am guessing is someone known for his love and dedication to 'genuine soul' yet also someone was also open minded and adventurous enough in his tastes to play, on occasion, B K Anderson's 'Minimum Wage' which is pretty much a slight variation on '16 tons'. So was the music not 'safe' in his hands? cos it seemed to be.

shit! maybe he is sophisticated enough to appreciate 'genuine 70s soul' AND 50s pop/folk/blues and can be trusted in his knowledge and love of music to know what is appropriate to play where.

I mean, i dont know him but i'm speculating here.

Can I also make the point that this was one track in a about 10 hours of music and was not even played in a Northern Soul club but in an r&b room. R&B fans, probably more familiar with musical culture of the 50s, are aware that there's a lot of blurred boundries between the many styles influenced by the American folk blues tradition in that era and can therefore judge what music they want to listen to for themselves, just as 'modern' soul fans are completely free to include a track consisting of programmed drum beat and a sampled vocal in their playlists, and 'northern soul' fans are completely free to include tracks of pure pop song structure in theirs.

The great thing about music is that it either works or it doesn't. Only my opinion, but I think it's more important to keep that in mind than worry about catagories and genre. especially catagories and genres that no one is forcing YOU to listen to.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

I accept your arguments, but I only mentioned Bernard Cribbins as a tongue-in-cheek example of how playlisting even great and important - yet essentially novelty - tracks like '16 Tons' can lead to accusations of veering towards parody no matter what the quality of the actual record is.

I appreciate that, cheers. And yes, you wouldn't use '16 tons' as a prime example of the music played in the r&b room, just as, say, you wouldn't use Eddie Bishop's 'call me' as a prime example of music played in a Northern room, but no one is doing. But to argue that it is massively removed from rhythm & blues music is to show some ignorance of American music in that period. Sure, it's pretty far removed from Ellipsis, which is why there's a separate room for r&B, but then so is Charles Sheffield, which, quite bizarrely does get played in the same room as Ellipsis - the 'northern room'. Explain that one to me.

And you dont get people who like R&B complaining that the pop that often is catagorised as 'soul' is so far removed from the blues influence that it, in fact, doesn't really have much 'soul' at all. Which would be as abstract an argument as the one that '16 tons' has no place in an R&B room.

And regarding the novelty aspect, I do see your point, but if i may say so - as a soul night regular but not a pure 'northern soul' fan, I think one thing I notice about soul nights is how po-faced they often are. Sure, soul is serious music and good music but is there no room for a bit of fun, a bit of humour? Is that incompatible with quality music or great dance music?

I myself DJ on the mod scene. And while i'm very happy playing very serious, very authentic soul and R&B, I could not imagine a night without a bit of novelty, something that brings a smile to peoples faces.

It doesn't polute the musical palate or dumb the night down, it is just FUN. On NYE I was playing a quite meloncholy R&B song by Melvin Davis called 'Wedding Bells' which people loved. In the same set I also played Jackie Wilson's versin of 'Joshua fought the battle of Jericho' (!), Billy Hamlin's somewhat daft 'If you aint got no bread...' and a ridiculous instrumental by the 4 Instants called 'boggatini' which you'd have to hear to believe! All of which went down brilliant and a great time was had.

My point is not that you should care what I play at mod clubs, or that I have got anything 'right'. Simply that, 'fun' tracks can still be good and playing the odd track that is 'fun' but still good, even if it is a pop hit, or a country artist, does not and should not stop one loving and seriously appreciating proper deep and good quality r&b and soul music, but can create a good atmosphere at a night. How 'serious' should we be? Is it not enough that Andy always attends Middleton and events all over the country and loves great soul and r&b music? You also demand that he sticks to some abstract musical rules when DJing too?

It is just fun. And some people do still go out to have fun, not for an earnest stroll around the 'authentic soul' museum.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Johnnie Taylor does a searing version of 16 Tons on his first Stax LP "Wanted One Soul Singer" from 1967, every bit as good as Blues In The Night on the same LP, a track which also started life as a "pop" standard !

If I may ask where and when was 'Blues in the night' regarded as a 'pop' standard, not saying it wasn't just not aware of it,

Pete

Social source share

If I may ask where and when was 'Blues in the night' regarded as a 'pop' standard, not saying it wasn't just not aware of it,

Pete

Composed by legends Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the film of the same name "Blues In The Night" released in 1941 and the song was nominated for an Academy Award !

All the info you need to know is right here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_in_the_Night

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Hello all, first let me say this is Gina, Andrews wife here, before he left for work he said, look at soul source i seem to be getting a lot of stick, i don't normally go on here or post so i took a look, i could not believe in what i was reading, things like "i would of sacked him" ,i know for a fact the night he was djing he had £300 £400 £500 records in is box in which he didn't play, because he always says its not about the value of a record its more of the timing of playing a record regardless of cost, shouldn't half you lot be soul policing your own room because there's quite a bit of shit to clear up there, OK Ive had my 2penneth. Gina pollard.x

Social source share

Composed by legends Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the film of the same name "Blues In The Night" released in 1941 and the song was nominated for an Academy Award !

All the info you need to know is right here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_in_the_Night

Well there you go, I didn't know that, and I guess i'm not alone, which I suppose questions the term 'pop standard',

Social source share

Happy new year to you all.... :thumbsup: ...

Some folk can't help telling us what we have to listen to.. As i have said before its a broad church on soul source with music from late 50s to the present day...

It aint all about the main room northern soul event, many folk fragment off in all directions..

As the song says..

"Give a little/ Take a little... True loves a game of give and take"..

Don't really go by playlists, if you aint there you don't know how the tune fits into a set or how its taken up by the punters.. There are certain records i have heard that have really gone down well in a set but if i had just read the playlist i would have though " what the fook is that dj doing"..

Peace and love you bunch of fu"kers, its the weekend..

Social source share

Happy new year to you all.... :thumbsup: ...

Some folk can't help telling us what we have to listen to.. As i have said before its a broad church on soul source with music from late 50s to the present day...

It aint all about the main room northern soul event, many folk fragment off in all directions..

As the song says..

"Give a little/ Take a little... True loves a game of give and take"..

Don't really go by playlists, if you aint there you don't know how the tune fits into a set or how its taken up by the punters.. There are certain records i have heard that have really gone down well in a set but if i had just read the playlist i would have though " what the fook is that dj doing"..

Peace and love you bunch of fu"kers, its the weekend..

Mr Cato as always the voice of reason...catch up with you later in the week mate :thumbup:

Social source share

You also demand that he sticks to some abstract musical rules when DJing too?

apparently yes! you only have to read threads on this and other sites to see that 'abstract rules' dominate what is and what is not allowed to be played by DJ's :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Hello all, first let me say this is Gina, Andrews wife here, before he left for work he said, look at soul source i seem to be getting a lot of stick, i don't normally go on here or post so i took a look, i could not believe in what i was reading, things like "i would of sacked him" ,i know for a fact the night he was djing he had £300 £400 £500 records in is box in which he didn't play, because he always says its not about the value of a record its more of the timing of playing a record regardless of cost, shouldn't half you lot be soul policing your own room because there's quite a bit of shit to clear up there, OK Ive had my 2penneth. Gina pollard.x

:thumbup: Cant believe my Mrs as put up a post on the famous soul source,arr bless, so .....ok.....i ain't gonna rant on but its just unbelievable how long this is going on for i think you have all had time now for your dig and strange replies,i have no regret playing the said record but a huge regret posting up a play list on what i played in a rnb room on a northern soul site, its been quite funny reading all the comments and being on the end of the soul police stick , a few months ago i didn't know the term soul police :lamsey: have they always been with us, :thumbup: really don't mind opinions at all that's what the site is for, not that keen on people who don't know me taking the piss :thumbsup: but that's northern soul, next week it will be someone else so watch out, :wub: i do think it should be put to bed now we've got the gist of it, threads like this can go in different routes and cause fall out, life's to short ,get on with what ya love doing and remember we may be in different rooms but were all under one roof... Love to you all ...Andy..x

Social source share

:thumbup: Cant believe my Mrs as put up a post on the famous soul source,arr bless, so .....ok.....i ain't gonna rant on but its just unbelievable how long this is going on for i think you have all had time now for your dig and strange replies,i have no regret playing the said record but a huge regret posting up a play list on what i played in a rnb room on a northern soul site, its been quite funny reading all the comments and being on the end of the soul police stick , a few months ago i didn't know the term soul police :lamsey: have they always been with us, :thumbup: really don't mind opinions at all that's what the site is for, not that keen on people who don't know me taking the piss :thumbsup: but that's northern soul, next week it will be someone else so watch out, :wub: i do think it should be put to bed now we've got the gist of it, threads like this can go in different routes and cause fall out, life's to short ,get on with what ya love doing and remember we may be in different rooms but were all under one roof... Love to you all ...Andy..x

A well mannered and well put response to what has become a bit of a comedy witch-hunt.

Anyway here's my thoughts on the whole TEFGATE incident...

Would I ever play the record?

No.

Do I personally like the record?

No, it's a bit too 'dreary 50s' for my taste.

Did anyone complain on the night?

Not at all.

Is everyone getting their shreddies in a twist over one record that was played in ten hours worth of records?

Undoubtedly.

Should he be "sacked"?

Not at all.

Shoud Andy Have Played the record?

Yes - provided he was confident in his choice of plays why shouldn't he?

Have I got better things to do with my life than examine the minutiae of every DJs playlist?

Hell Yes.

Would the stuffed shirts who are moaning about this have been pissing themselves at the game of musical statues we played at around 7am?

No, most of them would have been tucked up in' feather dreaming of serious stuff like mid sixties Detroit Matrix number sequences.

Seriously....

I, like quite a few others involved with the R&B scene, hate the fact that people dismiss it as all Rock n' Roll or Country and Western, and unfortunately records like this re-inforce the stereotype.

However, this was one record - not an entire spot, and as stated it didn't empty the floor, so somebody other than Andy (ie the dancers) must have thought it worthy of play.

A good DJ will to a large extent follow the floor - if a record of that ilk fails, then it will be shelved, and something else put in its place - but if it's accepted then fair enough.

Let's get this in perspective - the Back Beat room is a seperate entity from the "Main Room".

This record wasn't thrust upon an unreceptive 'Northern' crowd - it wasn't dropped into a set of big figure classics/oldies.

No one was harmed in the playing of this record - nobody spontaneously combusted at the thought of a TEF record being spun - no-one poked sharpened sticks in their ears to stop the terrible sound entering their cerebral cortex.

Upstairs at some point during the night, there would have IMO been records played that are hammered to death by the same handful of DJs, with little thought to the dancefloor, but more thought to the number of Browny points gained during a cock-waving contest.

Fair play to Andy for having the balls to plough his own furrow.

Right, bored with this topic now.

Who wants to hear my new Jim Reeves cover-up?

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Bit harsh on the upstairs crew joe biggrin.gif but i know what you mean,lets not forget that a lot of peeps on here dont actualy go anywere apart from on here,which is there choice.If i had have known all this fuss was goin to kick up over one poxy tune i wouldnt have wasted the money on flyers,cant buy this kind of publicity :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Bit harsh on the upstairs crew joe :thumbsup:

Only my opinion Andy, and to be fair upstairs at Middleton isn't that bad - but it's everywhere - it seems to be a contest as to who can play the most expensive records in one spot - instead of the most imaginative.

It's even happening at the Wilton - one DJ last night played big ticket oldie after big ticket oldie, with the odd current big ticket current sound, all very nice records and all very rare - but I didn't hear one thing where I thought "What the fooks this?" or "Bloody Hell I haven't heard this for years" and to be honest it bored me to death - I mentally switched off and started thinking about what i needed to put on my shopping list for B&Q this afternoon...

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Only my opinion Andy, and to be fair upstairs at Middleton isn't that bad - but it's everywhere - it seems to be a contest as to who can play the most expensive records in one spot - instead of the most imaginative.

It's even happening at the Wilton - one DJ last night played big ticket oldie after big ticket oldie, with the odd current big ticket current sound, all very nice records and all very rare - but I didn't hear one thing where I thought "What the fooks this?" or "Bloody Hell I haven't heard this for years" and to be honest it bored me to death - I mentally switched off and started thinking about what i needed to put on my shopping list for B&Q this afternoon...

You need to listen to sams spot on the 24th m8 biggrin.gif .With all this advertisein goin on we might get a few in at the next one :thumbsup: .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

i went to one venue in bournemouth and heard very similar stuff geting played. one of the tracks sounded very much like 'ol' man river' :thumbsup:

each to their own i suppose wink.gif

[/quot

You must mean The Bournemouth Railway Club Mike, but im sure i played the flipside, but i'll make sure to play the topside just for you next Sat tongue.gif

Social source share

ohmy.gif Cant believe my Mrs as put up a post on the famous soul source,arr bless, so .....ok.....i ain't gonna rant on but its just unbelievable how long this is going on for i think you have all had time now for your dig and strange replies,i have no regret playing the said record but a huge regret posting up a play list on what i played in a rnb room on a northern soul site, its been quite funny reading all the comments and being on the end of the soul police stick , a few months ago i didn't know the term soul police :( have they always been with us, unsure.gif really don't mind opinions at all that's what the site is for, not that keen on people who don't know me taking the piss :thumbsup: but that's northern soul, next week it will be someone else so watch out, wink.gif i do think it should be put to bed now we've got the gist of it, threads like this can go in different routes and cause fall out, life's to short ,get on with what ya love doing and remember we may be in different rooms but were all under one roof... Love to you all ...Andy..x

===

I Wouldnt worry about it andy,,u play r and b in a r and b room ,,cant see what the problem..

had loads of comments about my choices in the past...on my spots but have learned to rise above it..

chin up m8!

Social source share

You must mean The Bournemouth Railway Club Mike, but im sure i played the flipside, but i'll make sure to play the topside just for you next Sat tongue.gif

No Tim. I mean what I said, "I went to one venue in bournemouth and heard very similar stuff getting played". I have been to literally hundreds of events over the years; many of them in that area. To name the venue would not be fair as all the events i have attended over the years have played at least one track during the night that wasn't particularly my cup of tea. As has been implied in this thread, it is unfair to judge an event on one record that some people don't like :thumbsup:

Social source share

ohmy.gif Cant believe my Mrs as put up a post on the famous soul source,arr bless, so .....ok.....i ain't gonna rant on but its just unbelievable how long this is going on for i think you have all had time now for your dig and strange replies,i have no regret playing the said record but a huge regret posting up a play list on what i played in a rnb room on a northern soul site, its been quite funny reading all the comments and being on the end of the soul police stick , a few months ago i didn't know the term soul police :( have they always been with us, unsure.gif really don't mind opinions at all that's what the site is for, not that keen on people who don't know me taking the piss :thumbsup: but that's northern soul, next week it will be someone else so watch out, wink.gif i do think it should be put to bed now we've got the gist of it, threads like this can go in different routes and cause fall out, life's to short ,get on with what ya love doing and remember we may be in different rooms but were all under one roof... Love to you all ...Andy..x

My reasons for passing comment are on the other thread.

We may be under one roof in the sense of one venue but obviously we are miles apart in our musical preferences and tastes. I found it amazing TEF would be played because as Joe pointed out it does reinforce the "stereotype" I have that a lot of what is termed R&B, isn't.

As long as it remains in it's own environment it doesn't affect me but for some years it has infiltrated the mainstream scene. I cannot deny those tracks are popular but then I don't like tracks just cos they get a good dance floor reaction.

I didn't take a ten/twenty year break and get back on the scene but up until recently participated fully. However the dilution as I see it by R&B, House tracks, and the seeming reliance on lots of 70's oldies have made me be extremely choosey where I go.

In fact the smoking ban has limited that choice even more.

You may not like my interpretation of what NS ought to be but I think as a longtime fan Im entitled to a view without the "soul police" tag.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

My reasons for passing comment are on the other thread.

We may be under one roof in the sense of one venue but obviously we are miles apart in our musical preferences and tastes. I found it amazing TEF would be played because as Joe pointed out it does reinforce the "stereotype" I have that a lot of what is termed R&B, isn't.

As long as it remains in it's own environment it doesn't affect me but for some years it has infiltrated the mainstream scene. I cannot deny those tracks are popular but then I don't like tracks just cos they get a good dance floor reaction.

I didn't take a ten/twenty year break and get back on the scene but up until recently participated fully. However the dilution as I see it by R&B, House tracks, and the seeming reliance on lots of 70's oldies have made me be extremely choosey where I go.

In fact the smoking ban has limited that choice even more.

You may not like my interpretation of what NS ought to be but I think as a longtime fan Im entitled to a view without the "soul police" tag.

ROD

Come on now Rod...drop it mate...I think your opinion on the subject has been well documented and noted...I PMed Andy to apologise for even starting this whole thing off...but for what it's worth it was an innocent question about a record I heard amongst the many truly great proper 'R&B' tracks that were played that night...by him and all the other well respected DJs of the genre

I'm closing this thread because it has run its course

Edited by Beeks
Social source share