• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest inspirations001

========

isnt that james' problem here JEALOUSY

i cant think of any other reason..other than to be really annoying or trying to wind ian up to get another thread closed

ian DONT rise to any bait!!

i don't get all the baiting stuff on here,i think it is peurile and childish.

i don't know ian(think i did meet him once) but surely his knowledge and

his memory of the scene should be utilised.everyone can learn so much from

him which is all part of the enjoyment of the thread.he may (for whatever reason)

not be to everyones cup of tea,but his wealth of knowledge should be used in the right way.

keep it going ian and ignore the detractors!

Edited by inspirations001
Social source share

So you'd get to the vocal at least? :thumbsup:

Colin Curtis got to the vocal at least.

I refused to play it. I sussed what Dave Rivers and Dave Burton were up to and wouldn't play ball, but then joined in the joke urging Colin to play it.

My favourite Mecca moment.

When Colin was about to take it off, I yelled "Hang on - it's got a funny beginning - but the beat kicks in any second". Les Cokell was rolling on the floor peeing himself.

Social source share

Ian, if you was asked to dj at a nighter now what nighter would you prefer to dj at and what tracks would you play in say an hour set

Bearsy

Social source share

ask try keep all posts to the actual subject

eg Ian-Levine-Productions-Songs

bearsy theres one somewhere on mecca that may be better suited

can ya post it there

sorry mike i will do :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ian,

Lamont Dozier is the most successful songwriter alive today. (I think he attained that accolade with the number of #1s he has had on the Billboard Charts). Have you ever sat down with him? Maybe when the Motorcity Project in Detroit was in full swing? Now there's a man who could write million sellers on the back of a fag packet!

On the recent Motown 50 program Edddie Holland was asked "In quality control sessions could H-D-H still be overuled?"

Mr Holland's reply was "Sure, Berry always had the final say"

Interviewer "And were you ever overuled?"

Eddie "No"

Smart cookie that Mr Gordy. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

President Bush was asked about 5 minutes ago at a press conference, something along these lines:

There is a term in the press called "Bush Derangement". Mr President, do you have anything to say about this passionate critisism, derision and harsh discord that seems to surround your every action?

If the question is fine to ask the President of the USA, can I please put it to Ian Levine with reference to his productions?

Social source share

have split a post ref moderation/site matters and moved it to feedback

again ask that post any such posts in feedback not on this or any other forum thread

thanks

Posts moved to Feeback thread as per Mike's request above.

Social source share

GREAT AND INTELLIGENT QUESTION JAMES. Mike, how can you have a thread where there is only a selective response to questions, its unheard of. Levine needs to answer all relevent and politely put questions or close this ridiculous thread! You cannot operate a thread where he decides what to answer, thats just a PROPOGANDA thread!

posted again, because all you seem to have done is move it and not give a reply Mike? I could just start posting hundreds of questions if you like? then we can have Levine ignore page upon page?

Social source share

President Bush was asked about 5 minutes ago at a press conference, something along these lines:

There is a term in the press called "Bush Derangement". Mr President, do you have anything to say about this passionate critisism, derision and harsh discord that seems to surround your every action?

If the question is fine to ask the President of the USA, can I please put it to Ian Levine with reference to his productions?

Great question....answer please ?

Social source share

GREAT AND INTELLIGENT QUESTION JAMES. Mike, how can you have a thread where there is only a selective response to questions, its unheard of. Levine needs to answer all relevent and politely put questions or close this ridiculous thread! You cannot operate a thread where he decides what to answer, thats just a PROPOGANDA thread!

posted again, because all you seem to have done is move it and not give a reply Mike? I could just start posting hundreds of questions if you like? then we can have Levine ignore page upon page?

Alternatively YOU could just grow up maybe?

Derek

Social source share

That's not too bad, catchy. You know what I think of the production though...

Can we hear this Peter Lamarr track?

Also, do you fancy starting a thread with the 400 unknown records you say you have in your hot box? Post sound clips, you don't have to put titles up if your worried that they are all hidden away on Gemm for $20 each. I'm sure people would like to hear those.

Great question. answer please?

Social source share

told ya

taking it as deliberate sh*t stirring

final warning

Social source share

account suspended for 24 hrs

clips from forum house rules below

full can be read here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/soul-article-...rum-house-rules

We reserve the right to moderate posts which

• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others

if felt needed temporary bans of progressively longer durations may be used.

If it becomes clear that someone is unwilling to use our site within the terms of use (that all agree to ) then the account may be closed.

We close accounts only as a last resort to protect the forums.

Social source share

Ian, if you was asked to dj at a nighter now what nighter would you prefer to dj at and what tracks would you play in say an hour set

Bearsy

I may have an answer to that question in a week's time that you're not expecting.

Stay tuned......

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

told ya

taking it as deliberate sh*t stirring

final warning

President Bush's answer was pretty much along these lines:

"You know, the best thing about our great country is that people can openly critisise, debate, even ridicule without fear of being thrown in jail, persecuted or executed. Anyone who stands up here, in the spot light should expect to receive critisism, even derision."

And on that note Mike, it's been a fun 5 1/2 half years but I no longer wish to be part of this site. I might be back once Levine has sold whatever it is he has to sold and he's fucked off. But until then, thanks for the hard work on the site Mike, sorry to see you bullied by Levine, I've receive the threatening emails from his croonies as well. Not nice. So I totally understand your stance.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Ian,

Lamont Dozier is the most successful songwriter alive today. (I think he attained that accolade with the number of #1s he has had on the Billboard Charts). Have you ever sat down with him? Maybe when the Motorcity Project in Detroit was in full swing? Now there's a man who could write million sellers on the back of a fag packet!

Lamont came in and did all the backing vocals on my Paul Young album in 1994.

We had a wonderful dinner at Bibendum where he talked for about four hours about how he fused jazz chords with a rock beat and created the Motown Sound.

We also wrote two songs together.

Social source share

On the recent Motown 50 program Edddie Holland was asked "In quality control sessions could H-D-H still be overuled?"

There were major Motown TV shows in America for Motown 25, Motown 30, and Motown 40.

Is there not going to be an actual Motown 50 ???

I ask this with total relevance, as I recorded over 850 songs, with 108 former Motown artists, for Motorcity Records, so obvioulsy I would be fascinated to find out.

Social source share

President Bush's answer was pretty much along these lines:

"You know, the best thing about our great country is that people can openly critisise, debate, even ridicule without fear of being thrown in jail, persecuted or executed. Anyone who stands up here, in the spot light should expect to receive critisism, even derision."

And on that note Mike, it's been a fun 5 1/2 half years but I no longer wish to be part of this site. I might be back once Levine has sold whatever it is he has to sold and he's fucked off. But until then, thanks for the hard work on the site Mike, sorry to see you bullied by Levine, but totally understand your stance.

nice words

works both ways

Social source share

Well, it was only a matter of time before common sense prevailed.

As far as I can see posts from Trouble and Paul-S have served no other purpose than to provoke a response from Levine in order to simply continue their ridicule/baiting of him.

Properly constructed questions, delivered with sincerity as opposed to sarcasm have been put forward by other (well respected) members and dealt with properly by Levine.

There may well be some self serving motive for IL to be on this forum, only he can say for certain if that is the case, but there is no point whatsover in putting up offensive and derogatory comments, disguised as pertinent questions, and then being surprised if there is no response.

It needn't have come to this because both Trouble and Paul-S could have stayed away from the threads as their involvement in previous IL threads fully documented their views on IL and his current views.

Fair do if you disagree with them, but for f**ks sake, how many times does that message have to be put across?

We got it, I'm sure IL got it, so why not leave it at that.

Some people can't help themselves, I suppose.

Edited by Jaco
Social source share

There are people who are interested in Ian's involvement with artists, myself included. Can't you just leave us to it?

You're really earned my respect Dave, and please keep the questions coming. I will try to answer everything you can come up with.

Social source share

Guest abdntony

I may have an answer to that question in a week's time that you're not expecting.

Stay tuned......

does that mean an imminent dj appearance somehwere soon to be finalised within a week or so??

Social source share

Properly constructed questions, delivered with sincerity as opposed to sarcasm have been put forward by other (well respected) members and dealt with properly by Levine.

There may well be some self serving motive for IL to be on this forum, only he can say for certain if that is the case

I assure you it isn't.

If it was, it simply wouldn't be worth it, anyway.

I make music which has a Northern Soul feel.

Some love it, some hate it.

There are an awful lot of people on his forum who do love it, and I come on here to make myself available to answer their questions and inform them about music they may have otherwise missed.

But I'm not a politician, people don't vote for me, and I don't have to subject myself to any abuse.

The lovely comments I get from some people, and the heartwarming PMs I get, are what keeps me coming back on here. The people who do appreciate what I'm trying to do are the reason.

Social source share

does that mean an imminent dj appearance somehwere soon to be finalised within a week or so??

no comment

YET !!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Stay tuned......

very interesting :thumbsup:

Ian would you play a set of the records you wrote and produced over the years in that given hour if the chance arose or would you play tunes you used to play before becoming a writer producer

Bearsy

Social source share

very interesting :thumbsup:

Ian would you play a set of the records you wrote and produced over the years in that given hour if the chance arose or would you play tunes you used to play before becoming a writer producer

Bearsy

I would love to do the former, but never have done whilst ever DJing in the past.

Please remember I have been retired from DJing for six years now. The last was The Rocket in early 2003.

Social source share

very interesting

Bearsy

By the way.

Please remember I became a producer and writer in February 1975.

I DJ'd from November 1971 to July 1979 on the Northern Soul Scene, or what it became at Blackpool Mecca in the late 1970s.

I DJ'd at Heaven from December 1979 to February 1989.

I DJ'd intensely on the Northern Soul Scene from 1998 to 2003.

Social source share

I would love to do the former, but never have done whilst ever DJing in the past.

Please remember I have been retired from DJing for six years now. The last was The Rocket in early 2003.

Ian you must of played a few of your tunes when djn at some stage in the past somewhere surely cos if i was you i know i would of done :thumbsup:

Social source share

couple of allnighters in aberdeen in april and sept lol

Nope. And too far. Although I did do one big spot for Yogi Haughton in Edinburgh, since my 2003 retirement.

Mind you, I also DJ'd for Richard Searling in 1983, with Colin Curtis, Les Cokell, Kev Roberts, and Tony Jebb, at a big Mecca Reunion type allnighter in Manchester, with J.J. Barnes singing live.

And for Russ Winstanley's big Mecca reunion in 1992, which was supposed to be in the original building, but when we got there, there was a bloke with a sandwich board redirecting everyone to Central Pier. I still did it, but Colin Curtis got back in his car and drove back to Stoke in disgust.

Social source share

Ian you must of played a few of your tunes when djn at some stage in the past somewhere surely cos if i was you i know i would of done

Of course.

Especially back in the Blackpool days.

"Reaching For The Best" broke out of there.

And yes in the early years of this decade, I played both Venicia Wilson and The Four Vandals.

Social source share

Ian you must of played a few of your tunes when djn at some stage in the past somewhere surely cos if i was you i know i would of done :thumbsup:

The point being that I would have LOVED to do a big spot of just my own work, but there have been too many detractors who'd have made too much noise about it.

I resign myself to the fact that in 100 years time, future historians of our music will be mystified and perplexed by the way I was treated at the time by many of my contemporaries.

Remember how the Victorians treated Oscar Wilde.

Social source share

The point being that I would have LOVED to do a big spot of just my own work, but there have been too many detractors who'd have made too much noise about it.

I resign myself to the fact that in 100 years time, future historians of our music will be mystified and perplexed by the way I was treated at the time by many of my contemporaries.

Remember how the Victorians treated Oscar Wilde.

Oscar Wilde :thumbsup: who she :g:

Why not just do a spot of your own music though Ian, like you say you have so many fans out there that do appreciate your music so surely if there is a demand for your tracks then who better than yourself to play them out :D

Social source share

Guest posstot

I assure you it isn't.

If it was, it simply wouldn't be worth it, anyway.

I make music which has a Northern Soul feel.

Some love it, some hate it.

There are an awful lot of people on his forum who do love it, and I come on here to make myself available to answer their questions and inform them about music they may have otherwise missed.

But I'm not a politician, people don't vote for me, and I don't have to subject myself to any abuse.

The lovely comments I get from some people, and the heartwarming PMs I get, are what keeps me coming back on here. The people who do appreciate what I'm trying to do are the reason.

Ian, may i ask, what is it?, you are trying to do....As this, i feel, is what disgruntles me about about your end product, in terms of music, I don't understand what you are trying to do. Obviously, I'm from the "some hate it" sect. And a small insight into the above question may shed some light!!

Social source share

Oscar Wilde :thumbsup: who she :g:

Why not just do a spot of your own music though Ian, like you say you have so many fans out there that do appreciate your music so surely if there is a demand for your tracks then who better than yourself to play them out :D

We did the launch nights at The Ion Bar.

The one for "Northern Soul 2008" had twenty live acts on, all doing their songs, and Simon White DJing all night only playing my productions.

Lots of members of Soul Source were there, and there was a great atmosphere. It really worked actually. And the more recent launch for the five disc DVD set was amazing. Even Ady Croasdell was there, along with Ron Tyson from The Temptations, and tons of amazing guests.

Social source share