Ian Levine Productions And Songs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 71.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Ian yes The Rumors are true I'm sorry to say , JJ as been in a bad way and his wife reckons he won't ever perform again ,

WOW. Can't believe it.

He was in fantastic form when we saw him in Seattle a year and a half ago. But I guess a year is a long time.

He had everyone open mouthed in awe. And when he sang 'Lonely No More' it just about killed me.

A truly lovely man and an awesome talent. I felt so privileged to be in his company that weekend.

Social source share

WOW. Can't believe it.

He was in fantastic form when we saw him in Seattle a year and a half ago. But I guess a year is a long time.

He had everyone open mouthed in awe. And when he sang 'Lonely No More' it just about killed me.

A truly lovely man and an awesome talent. I felt so privileged to be in his company that weekend.

Yes me too......and his backing singers had voices like angels...... :)

Social source share

When I was just 14, I wrote my first ever soul music article, for Collectors Soul, called "J.J. Barnes, The Uncrowned King Of Soul".

I have known him personally since 1971 and recorded well over twenty songs with him.

He also is the narrator for the Motorcity section of my Strange World Of Northern Soul DVD set.

If he will never sing again, my heart aches with heaviness and deep sadness. He is an irreplaceable talent and friend.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I liked it on first hearing , and that opinion still prevails : a bloody good and atmospheric record .

Where was it recorded ?

Malc Burton

J.J. was in England for Pep's soul weekender in Torquay, in 1990.

Edwin Starr asked me if he could co-write a song for J.J. with me, with a more eighties-contemporary Luther Vandross feel, so we cut a groove loosely based on the feel of "Never Too Much", and Edwin wrote the words to "I've Seen The light" and actually sat in with J.J. to record the vocal, in our old studios in Chiswick that we had from 1988 until they closed down in 2001. The last vocal ever recorded there was Sidney Barnes "Standing On Solid Ground" in 2001.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

J.J. was in England for Pep's soul weekender in Torquay, in 1990.

Edwin Starr asked me if he could co-write a song for J.J. with me, with a more eighties-contemporary Luther Vandross feel, so we cut a groove loosely based on the feel of "Never Too Much", and Edwin wrote the words to "I've Seen The light" and actually sat in with J.J. to record the vocal, in our old studios in Chiswick that we had from 1988 until they closed down in 2001. The last vocal ever recorded there was Sidney Barnes "Standing On Solid Ground" in 2001.

If anyone had the temerity to question the credibility of your work Ian , the highlighted sentence above is more than a valid tesitmony .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

If anyone had the temerity to question the credibility of your work Ian , the highlighted sentence above is more than a valid tesitmony .........

Malc Burton

Edwin did two songs for J.J. at that time, with me.

"I've Seen The Light", and "Try It One More Time". Here's the other one for you.

">
Social source share

Just listened to JJ barnes I've seen the light, excellent tune did it get released on vinyl?

It was on a twelve inch single, with a picture sleeve, but never on a seven inch.

Social source share

Like the Tommy Hunt , he's still got a great voice

Cheers for posting up

Geoff

I personally feel that a legend like that should still have the opportunity to record, and it's a bit of a one-man mission of mine, the same as our recent Rosetta Hightower, The Flirtations, Jimmy Thomas, and Jimmy James tracks.

At the moment we're doing a brand new record with Ronnie Walker.

Social source share

Guest kevokeh

It was on a twelve inch single, with a picture sleeve, but never on a seven inch.

hi ian

can we still pick up the albums you recrded with j.j. on motorcity.

another great track which you produced was tyrone ashley..just another rumour...i have played this quite a few times when djin, first picked it up on a nightmare gold 12inch, which was remixed for the hi-energy

scene.

on the ian levine northern memories cd it has the origanal cut, sounds fantastic on massive sound system.

was this ever released on 7inch back in the 70s.

regards

kev

Social source share

another great track which you produced was tyrone ashley..just another rumour...i have played this quite a few times when djin, first picked it up on a nightmare gold 12inch, which was remixed for the hi-energy

scene.

on the ian levine northern memories cd it has the origanal cut, sounds fantastic on massive sound system.

was this ever released on 7inch back in the 70s.

regards

kev

I bloody adore that song.

No it was scheduled for release on United Artists but then got shelved.

Then the album was coming out in America, and the cover artwork looked beautiful (saw it but never had a copy), and then it was shelved.

The full original version was on "The Best Of Tyrone Ashley" in 1995.

Then I put it on the long since deleted "Ian Levine Presents Northern Soul Memories".

But it is now coming out soon on the three CD set called "Running In Another Direction", with loads of my old classics. Here's the artwork for that...

post-13099-1238295948_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest kevokeh

I bloody adore that song.

No it was scheduled for release on United Artists but then got shelved.

Then the album was coming out in America, and the cover artwork looked beautiful (saw it but never had a copy), and then it was shelved.

The full original version was on "The Best Of Tyrone Ashley" in 1995.

Then I put it on the long since deleted "Ian Levine Presents Northern Soul Memories".

But it is now coming out soon on the three CD set called "Running In Another Direction", with loads of my old classics. Here's the artwork for that...

thanks ian

looking forward to the cd,

another great track, MIQUEL BROWN...CLOSE TO PERFECTION...FANTASTIC SOUL MUSIC....

also from motorcity...THE FANTASTIC FOUR..THE NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME...this is soul at its best.

regards

kev

Social source share

another great female artist you worked with, which i realy took to..EARLENE BENTLEY....

did you ever do a full album on her, can you give some background on earlene.

regards

kev

She's from New York and in the 1990s we released a Best of Earlene Bentley CD in America.

Then did new stuff in 2007 for "Northern Soul 2007"

">
Social source share

The legendary Tommy Hunt with his first brand new song for thirty years.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

You would not think Tommy is 73 this year ......... His vocals are as strong as they have always been .

Any further plans to work with him Ian ? surely one track is not all we are going to get ?

Malc Burton

I would love to do more.

That's up to him.

Social source share

I would love to do more.

That's up to him.

My mistake - Mr Hunt is 76 this year ( June 18th ) , not 73 .......

I think we will have to get up a petition to have him do more .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Love him, look at this (I hope you don't mind Ian)

P smile.gif

">

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Tommy appeared a couple of years ago , at one of the nights I was involved with .

He came early , in order to talk to people and to sign autographs : but more so , he was very approachable and wanted to be involved in the whole night . When people talked to him , he was genuinely interested in what they had to say ..........

Malc Burton

He's a great character Malc. He chatted and had time for everyone in Lanzarote.

P smile.gif

Social source share

My mistake - Mr Hunt is 76 this year ( June 18th ) , not 73 .......

I think we will have to get up a petition to have him do more .

Malc Burton

He's no spring chicken now. He's the same age as Billy Eckstine was, when I recorded the last records of his amazing career.

I must say, I really have been privileged to have worked with some quite amazing names.

Social source share

He's no spring chicken now. He's the same age as Billy Eckstine was, when I recorded the last records of his amazing career.

I must say, I really have been privileged to have worked with some quite amazing names.

Creditable and valid namedropping - This is why so many of us like to read your stories and anicdotes Ian .

Hopefully , the book will not be too far away ........

I am going to put you on the spot Ian - who is the best artist you have ever worked with , and why ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Creditable and valid namedropping - This is why so many of us like to read your stories and anicdotes Ian .

I am going to put you on the spot Ian - who is the best artist you have ever worked with , and why ?

Malc Burton

Impossible to single out just one.

Barbara McNair, Syreeta, Barbara Pennington, Lynda Laurence, Peter Lamarr, Tahira Jumah, Edwin Starr, Angelo Starr, Noel McKoy, Vermettya Royster, Venicia Wilson, and if I had to single out the nicest and sweetest, then Saundra Edwards.

Social source share

Malc Burton

And three more who I select for their talent, but whose fiery tempers in the studio make it almost impossible, despite my admiration for their talents.

Billy Griffin, Carolyn Crawford, and Ronnie McNeir.

Social source share

Impossible to single out just one.

Barbara McNair, Syreeta, Barbara Pennington, Lynda Laurence, Peter Lamarr, Tahira Jumah, Edwin Starr, Angelo Starr, Noel McKoy, Vermettya Royster, Venicia Wilson, and if I had to single out the nicest and sweetest, then Saundra Edwards.

I forgot Pat Lewis.

How could I ?????

I have recorded more songs on her than any other artist in my entire life.

And I adore her.

Social source share

Guest kevokeh

She's from New York and in the 1990s we released a Best of Earlene Bentley CD in America.

Then did new stuff in 2007 for "Northern Soul 2007"

">

Social source share

thank you for the info ian,

i dug out another great 70s track which you produced, again this is just right for today,s scene..

TYRONE ASHLEY...LOOKS LIKE LOVE IS HERE TO STAY...RELEASED ON U.A. RECORDS...

regards

kev

You're quite fabulous. I wish there were more like you.

Here's Jimmy James's version

">
Social source share

Guest kevokeh

You're quite fabulous. I wish there were more like you.

Here's Jimmy James's version

">

Social source share

here is another ian...played this the other day, have another listen ian, this would go down well in

the modern rooms,

BARBARA PENNININGTON.....ON A CROWDED STREET....i used to play this as a new release in the clubs,

people used to look over the decks to see what it was...again so soulful,

And again, your wish is my command.

">
Social source share

Great track! Had a ton of calls when I played it on the radio show a little while back!

Ian D :thumbup:

Are you talking about "I've Seen The Light" ??? You don't make it clear.

Social source share

I'm sure that's the same photo used on the Fan The Flame twelve I've got? Brings back great memories from a great time.

it's similar, from the same photo session, but not identical.

Social source share

Just wanted to remind people I can still do a few more fabulous soul packs.

I'm four fifths through the collection now, but I can still do four or five more before I finish.

300 records, or more, up to a thousand all different, will be a complete across the board mix of 60s, 70s and 80s.

Two thirds US labels, one third UK, but including some good sixties UK labels.

Some very rare obscure tiny little labels, but some classic soul too.

Lots and lots of twenty quiders in there, but the odd Gladys Knight or Chi-Lites too.

But mostly, nothing worth less than a fiver.

The combined value of the 300 records will be at leat £1000 if they were sold separately.

300 all different for £300, no duplication. Postage comes to about £35 though, unless you want to collect them.

Social source share

Just wanted to remind people I can still do a few more fabulous soul packs.

I'm four fifths through the collection now, but I can still do four or five more before I finish.

300 records, or more, up to a thousand all different, will be a complete across the board mix of 60s, 70s and 80s.

Two thirds US labels, one third UK, but including some good sixties UK labels.

Some very rare obscure tiny little labels, but some classic soul too.

Lots and lots of twenty quiders in there, but the odd Gladys Knight or Chi-Lites too.

But mostly, nothing worth less than a fiver.

The combined value of the 300 records will be at leat £1000 if they were sold separately.

300 all different for £300, no duplication. Postage comes to about £35 though, unless you want to collect them.

Ian - a couple of " historical " questions for you ........ regarding The Good Will in Miami .

Did you already know about this prior to your first visit , or did you come across it by accident ?

It was stated that it contained 250,000 singles , to which you bought 4,000 ( which included Sam & Kitty , The Glories and Lada Edmund Jr ) : did you go through the full 250,000 - which I believe you will have done - seperating the good from the bad , therefore ending up with a worthwhile 4,000 ?

Is there anything that you can recall having left , that you now know has turned up as a " desirable " record ?

Was the 4,000 the " lot " ? and if not , how long did you manage to keep the name and location secret , before others visited ?

Malc Burton

Social source share