• Views 71.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

In my cart.....I thank you biggrin.gif

Ian - a question for you .......

Record producers - past and present - who have you admired / who do you admire , and for what reasons ?

Examples of particular recordings those producers have worked on , would be appreciated , and the reasons why you have chosen them .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Ian - a question for you .......

Record producers - past and present - who have you admired / who do you admire , and for what reasons ?

Examples of particular recordings those producers have worked on , would be appreciated , and the reasons why you have chosen them .

Malc Burton

I used to admire George Kerr, till he came to the studio in Detroit in 1989, and stayed at an expensive hotel, the St. Regis, at my expense, then went round everyone in the studio, trying to persuade them not to work with "whitey".

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I used to admire George Kerr, till he came to the studio in Detroit in 1989, and stayed at an expensive hotel, the St. Regis, at my expense, then went round everyone in the studio, trying to persuade them not to work with "whitey".

Why did he do that? ph34r.gif

Social source share

And remember that the ONLY way to ever own this track (and of course Take You For Granted) on VINYL, will be to buy the Soul Intention 45.

So if original vinyl floats your boat then this release is the one for you. Once they're gone they're gone.

Phil

HOW BAD IS THIS TUNE! Synthed up to the eyeballs and reminicent of the worst of Wigan sounds! KGF do the whole modern take on Northern so much better. They seem to have abetter understanding of the production values and particularly vocals!.........just my opinion of course. smile.gif

Social source share

Not saying its a bad track for what it is.

But soul, sorry it sounds to much like a Disco to me

Its a terrible effort and if this thread is going to be used like a soul supermarket, to promote this ASDA price tune, then, im afraid you have to take the criticism if people dont like it! It shows that whoever produced it hasn't been out or on the scene for a very, very, long time. Since 78 by the sounds of it. Tacky, hollow and a terrible vocal.....which djs out there are playing it? So I know which venues? to avoid

Social source share

HOW BAD IS THIS TUNE! Synthed up to the eyeballs and reminicent of the worst of Wigan sounds! KGF do the whole modern take on Northern so much better. They seem to have abetter understanding of the production values and particularly vocals!.........just my opinion of course. smile.gif

Do you mean the "Under lock and key" record? I don't think there are any synths on it are there? It's got too much going on in there for me to be honest but apart from the chrous, which I didn't really like, the rest was as good as any other recent attempt at a 60's sound. In my opinion, obviously.

Social source share

Do you mean the "Under lock and key" record? I don't think there are any synths on it are there? It's got too much going on in there for me to be honest but apart from the chrous, which I didn't really like, the rest was as good as any other recent attempt at a 60's sound. In my opinion, obviously.

The mind is like a parashute - works best when its open rolleyes.gif

Social source share

The mind is like a parashute - works best when its open :lol:

I think the problem is that Ian likes this big, big production sound with the kitchen sink thrown in whereas nowadays we are not used to hearing that type of music - everything is minimal and I think minimal works...that live in the studio kind of thing. So I'd like to hear some of this stuff stripped down. It's still good though.

Social source share

I think the problem is that Ian likes this big, big production sound with the kitchen sink thrown in whereas nowadays we are not used to hearing that type of music - everything is minimal and I think minimal works...that live in the studio kind of thing. So I'd like to hear some of this stuff stripped down. It's still good though.

Maybe.! In that case hes done a great job of making Live instruments sound like synths. Got a bit of a 'new romantic' feel to it...reminicent of TEAR FOR FEARS.... :lol: Really good 80s retro feel. Well done and very brave, not many would go for that sound. But, i guess us none believers will be eating humble pie as the floors of Northern venues vibrate to this brilliant tune and its makers are once again, as in the 80s, making lots of (and I dont mean to quote Spandau Ballet :lol: ) GOLD!

Social source share

Whats a Parashute? Is it like a Parachute, but but doesn't open up as well? :lol: Or is it just a bad copy of the real thing :lol:

Yeah that's the thing I meant :lol: . I just can't spell (or is it cpell). I haven't even listened to the track so can't judge but I get the feeling Paul you'd made your mind up before you heard it anyway :D

Social source share

You can't get much more over produced than the KGF single "One Day" which is very messy but still brilliant. Mind you most of the Shrine stuff is over arranged too IMHO.

Simple four or six track recordings are more akin to what we are used to from 60's recordings. I like the complex arrangements but they do need the odd off key note or drum beat thats a bit heavier or lighter than it should be to give them some human quality. That fact that they're not perfect is part of their appeal (to me at least). Ian's recording in the part have been if anything too polished for me but I guess thats how he made the transition to producing top pop acts.

Social source share

Maybe.! In that case hes done a great job of making Live instruments sound like synths. Got a bit of a 'new romantic' feel to it...reminicent of TEAR FOR FEARS.... :lol: Really good 80s retro feel. Well done and very brave, not many would go for that sound. But, i guess us none believers will be eating humble pie as the floors of Northern venues vibrate to this brilliant tune and its makers are once again, as in the 80s, making lots of (and I dont mean to quote Spandau Ballet :lol: ) GOLD!

Are we talking about the same song?? (seriously!)

Social source share

Yeah that's the thing I meant :lol: . I just can't spell (or is it cpell). I haven't even listened to the track so can't judge but I get the feeling Paul you'd made your mind up before you heard it anyway :lol:

UH, what a ridiculous thing to say. If you look a few posts up theres a soundclip? :lol: All you do is press play and listen....easy really :D:lol:

Social source share

Its a terrible effort and if this thread is going to be used like a soul supermarket, to promote this ASDA price tune, then, im afraid you have to take the criticism if people dont like it! It shows that whoever produced it hasn't been out or on the scene for a very, very, long time. Since 78 by the sounds of it. Tacky, hollow and a terrible vocal.....which djs out there are playing it? So I know which venues? to avoid

Ian didn't promote it to sell it. I did. I've released it on MY label, NOT Ian.

I think it merits a release and sounds neither tacky, nor hollow. particularly when played on vinyl on a good sound system.

Play it LOUD on vinyl and see if you feel the same.

I'm sure you won't.

Phil

Social source share

Maybe.! In that case hes done a great job of making Live instruments sound like synths. Got a bit of a 'new romantic' feel to it...reminicent of TEAR FOR FEARS.... thumbsup.gif Really good 80s retro feel. Well done and very brave, not many would go for that sound. But, i guess us none believers will be eating humble pie as the floors of Northern venues vibrate to this brilliant tune and its makers are once again, as in the 80s, making lots of (and I dont mean to quote Spandau Ballet :lol: ) GOLD!

Tres amusant!

It won't make anyone a load of money. I've only produced 500 copies. But I hope it does make some money. I mean it's not a crime is it?

Phil

Social source share

Ian didn't promote it to sell it. I did. I've released it on MY label, NOT Ian.

I think it merits a release and sounds neither tacky, nor hollow. particularly when played on vinyl on a good sound system.

Play it LOUD on vinyl and see if you feel the same.

I'm sure you won't.

Phil

Unfortunately Phil, some people have such closed minds that you simply can't reason with them, so I have given up even trying.

Social source share

UH, what a ridiculous thing to say. If you look a few posts up theres a soundclip? :D All you do is press play and listen....easy really :yes::D

I'll listen at some point just can't when I'm in the office. I'm not really likely to buy a new release anyway and don't have an axe to grind by passing judgement one way or another.

Those that want to listen can make their own mind up. I'll get round to it but its not a high priority for me. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

As a bloke who has for 37 years put his knob on the table ( no pun meant :lol: ) do you regret anything you've done?

Btw,,can yoiu please ring confirm by PM your appearance at the Torch Reunion Oct 24th 2009, you WERE as much apart of the Torchscene as the 100's who went there week in week out Ian.

It's been amazing how many old Torchites who have made arrangemants to come back home to Tunstall so to speak in October, most who have no affiliation whastosver with the current UK Northern Soul Scene who have asked if you will be attending.....

I'd be gratefull if you could advise so we can book you in or we get someone else in to fill the hour we have allocated for you.

Fondest regards

PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Unfortunately Phil, some people have such closed minds that you simply can't reason with them, so I have given up even trying.

Closed minds if they dont agree with you? Thats a very closed minded statement isn't it. :lol: I admit my earlier post was wrong....I meant that it sounds like A TEARDROP EXPLODES not TEARS FOR FEARS! :ohmy: "until I learn to accept my reward" do da da do da!doooooo!

You really do know your pop and it certainly shows and prevails with the Lamarr tune! Well done with a poptastic track. :lol:

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Btw,,can yoiu please ring confirm by PM your appearance at the Torch Reunion Oct 24th 2009, you WERE as much apart of the Torchscene as the 100's who went there week in week out Ian.

It's been amazing how many old Torchites who have made arrangemants to come back home to Tunstall so to speak in October, most who have no affiliation whastosver with the current UK Northern Soul Scene who have asked if you will be attending.....

I'd be gratefull if you could advise so we can book you in or we get someone else in to fill the hour we have allocated for you.

Fondest regards

PD

I'm still discussing this with Malc Burton.

Social source share

As a bloke who has for 37 years put his knob on the table ( no pun meant ) do you regret anything you've done?

Many things.

But I am proud of most of the music I have made. And The Strange World Of Northern Soul. And my 1996 Family reunion. And my five albums so far on Centre City.

My greatest regret is turning down twenty grand from The Mail On Sunday, to give them seven Steve Brookstein tracks while he was on the X-Factor, just because Simon Cowell asked me not to, and promised to look after me in return, gave me his WORD, BUT then all I earned off him since was a lousy two grand.

Social source share

Tres amusant!

It won't make anyone a load of money. I've only produced 500 copies. But I hope it does make some money. I mean it's not a crime is it?

Phil

Cert! Ta muito engrecado. E verdade!

I really have no objection to people making money and i hope you dont lose money. I just cant see it and no its not a crime. I dont like the tune and thats not a crime either, just an opinion.

Social source share

Tres amusant!

Phil

Cert! Ta muito engrecado. E verdade!

I really have no objection to people making money and i hope you dont lose money. I just cant see it and no its not a crime. I dont like the tune and thats not a crime either, just an opinion.

N£o completamente gramatical correto!

But never mind. I don't understand why you're so vehemently against anything done by Ian? Or so it would appear anyway.

If you don't like the track, then fine. But to pillory, belittle and ridicule is a little beyond the pale really don't you think?

Social source share

But never mind. I don't understand why you're so vehemently against anything done by Ian? Or so it would appear anyway.

If you don't like the track, then fine. But to pillory, belittle and ridicule is a little beyond the pale really don't you think?

As I have said many times, I don't like Dolly Parton, but I wouldn't go on a Country and Western Forum to slag her off.

Social source share

N£o completamente gramatical correto!

I think the kind of sh*t that the lad has handed Ian's way is simply borne of latent jealousy, lack of input and/or blatant stupidity.

Point that kind of behaviour out by all means, someone has to, but don't stress about it, the silent majority read it for what it is.

Social source share

Hitsville Chalky is right about Fire Alarm. Great record.

That's why it's available again on the "Reaching For The Very Best" triple CD.

">
Social source share

I would like to hope that's the case.

A pointless response Ian.

It seems to me that your inbuilt passion still causes you to bite occasionally.

To who and for what reason mate?

There are no-marks that have a pop on here, it don't mean jack to me.

I don't agree with your musical views/productions in totality but what I do have the sense to grasp is the fact that your mind has worked possibly four or five music-based lifetimes, compared to the sheep with little back-up that take the easy route and have the occassional dig on here.

Up yer arse second raters!

You will never do for this music what the object of your jealousies has done.

Which makes me laugh when you try to make sense of your mis-directed vollies.

Boom Boom

Social source share

It seems to me that your inbuilt passion still causes you to bite occasionally.

I try not to, but sometimes just can't help it. Like a knee-jerk reaction.

Social source share

As a bloke who has for 37 years put his knob on the table ( no pun meant :ohmy: ) do you regret anything you've done?

Fondest regards

PD

Yes I've agreed with Malc Burton, to do it on certain conditions.

Social source share

Yes I've been raving on about this for a long long time Every since I first Heard it through a Friend (Bill ).

I Just had to go out and get the Lovetones Album with some other great tracks on the Album .

Ian's done some fantastic tracks but for me this tops it with great and awesome vocals and production .

Bonus also for me everytime when Over In Detroit I'm always spinning in it in the Car with Fab sitting next to me ( The Lead vocal singer) hearing me raving how much I love it , with Fabb replying Thank you I done so much stuff with Ian . I woukld love to Bring Fab back over to perform this but health reasons it will never happen , Thanks to Ian I will just keep watching the Video .

It's sad that as our heroes get older and illness takes its toll, we lose that special magic that this record so joyously captured.

And how is J.J. Barnes ???

Kev Roberts just came back from Detroit, and the Chicago/Detroit Soul Trip, and he says there are bad rumours about his health. Please let us all know.

Social source share

It's sad that as our heroes get older and illness takes its toll, we lose that special magic that this record so joyously captured.

And how is J.J. Barnes ???

Kev Roberts just came back from Detroit, and the Chicago/Detroit Soul Trip, and he says there are bad rumours about his health. Please let us all know.

Hi Ian yes The Rumors are true I'm sorry to say , JJ as been in a bad way and his wife reckons he won't ever perform again , Bill only called the other Day and he Called me to tell me how JJ was , Of course I will keep you Informed I may Call JJ myself later and tell him we are Thinking off him. , yet again if you didn't do these Videos it would be be worse , at least it keeps the Legacy of The artist and the Music alive , and long as the music is with us so are them !

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Hi Ian yes The Rumors are true I'm sorry to say , JJ as been in a bad way and his wife reckons he won't ever perform again

When I was just 14, I wrote my first ever soul music article, for Collectors Soul, called "J.J. Barnes, The Uncrowned King Of Soul".

I have known him personally since 1971 and recorded well over twenty songs with him.

He also is the narrator for the Motorcity section of my Strange World Of Northern Soul DVD set.

If he will never sing again, my heart aches with heaviness and deep sadness. He is an irreplaceable talent and friend.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share