Ian Levine Productions And Songs

Hi Ian,

I'm new to these forums so apologies if this question has been asked before. You've had a varied musical career over the years and produced some great tunes but I was wondering if there was anything you look back upon and now regret getting involved in?

The obvious one that springs to mind is this I guess...

....but are there any others you now look back and cringe at ?

Cheers

What the hell is that?

Social source share

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 71.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Ian,

I'm new to these forums so apologies if this question has been asked before. You've had a varied musical career over the years and produced some great tunes but I was wondering if there was anything you look back upon and now regret getting involved in?

The obvious one that springs to mind is this I guess...

I hope your name isn't James.

2nd post indeed.

I have gone on public record many times about this embarrassment and there were many facts behind it of which you're not aware.

It's most unfair for you to post this on a soul forum, and the only possible motive could be vindictive.

Social source share

She has a very familar face, very familiar indeed, but I don't recognise her name. Has she ever done any solo work or been involved with other bands, or is she a long term background vocalist?

It's Pearly Gates from The Flirtations.

I thought everyone would have known that.

Social source share

What the hell is that?

A nauseating charity record, like a third rate Live Aid, thrown together like a bucket of vomit in 1985 to try to save Doctor Who when it was cancelled, put together by the then producer of Doctor Who, John Nathan Turner and his boyfriend, Gary Downie, and cast by Paul Tams. I got roped in and told to do it (I had a sort of consultancy job on Doctor Who at the time).

I have always said I hated it, always distanced myself from it, found it to be a total embarrassment from start to finish, and the fact that Hans Zimmer programmed all the music before he won endless Oscars makes it even more embarrassing.

I really resent this being put on Soul Source, and if it's your second post, I challenge you to prove you're not a fake front for a troll.

Social source share

Slate McLeod

Oh baby puh-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE !!!!!!!!!

Surely this was the title role played by Chuck Connors , in the film of the same name ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

A nauseating charity record, like a third rate Live Aid, thrown together like a bucket of vomit in 1985 to try to save Doctor Who when it was cancelled, put together by the then producer of Doctor Who, John Nathan Turner and his boyfriend, Gary Downie, and cast by Paul Tams. I got roped in and told to do it (I had a sort of consultancy job on Doctor Who at the time).

I have always said I hated it, always distanced myself from it, found it to be a total embarrassment from start to finish, and the fact that Hans Zimmer programmed all the music before he won endless Oscars makes it even more embarrassing.

I really resent this being put on Soul Source, and if it's your second post, I challenge you to prove you're not a fake front for a troll.

I don't know the motive of the poster, but I would be proud to have done a ridiculous video like that, do you have no sense of humor about it?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

2nd post indeed.

I have gone on public record many times about this embarrassment and there were many facts behind it of which you're not aware.

It's most unfair for you to post this on a soul forum, and the only possible motive could be vindictive.

Don't be stupid. If I would use the word "great" to describe any of you works I would have spelt it "grate". As in 'cheese grater'.

112.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I don't know the motive of the poster, but I would be proud to have done a ridiculous video like that, do you have no sense of humor about it?

Fraid not. It has haunted me for twenty four years now, especially with Doctor Who fans. Anyway I didn't do the video, I was just involved in the wretched painful useless rubbish song. A definite case of too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Fraid not. It has haunted me for twenty four years now, especially with Doctor Who fans. Anyway I didn't do the video, I was just involved in the wretched painful useless rubbish song. A definite case of too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Imagine how good it could have been had you done the whole thing. It might even have become a hit on the soul scene, just like all these other videos you have been kindly sharing with us.

Social source share

2nd post indeed.

Ian...I do apologise. That was NOT my intention at all. Yes I know it's a soul forum but I thought this particular thread was about ALL of your productions over the years. I was aware that you didn't particular look back with fond regard for the Doctor Who record but I assure you I did not post this to cause you any kind of embarrassment or humiliation. I will try and go back and delete the original post if at all possible. I was merely using the Doctor Who video as an example.

(Tried to delete the original post but not quite sure how to do do and I can't edit it for some reason.) Moderators please remove if possible?

I also assure you I am a legitimate poster and not a troll (!) I have been a great fan of some of your productions over the years and respect what you have done for scene as a whole. Sorry that this post got me off to a bad start!

Edited by Slate Mcleod
Social source share

Ian...I do apologise. That was NOT my intention at all. Yes I know it's a soul forum but I thought this particular thread was about ALL of your productions over the years. I was aware that you didn't particular look back with fond regard for the Doctor Who record but I assure you I did not post this to cause you any kind of embarrassment or humiliation. I will try and go back and delete the original post if at all possible. I was merely using the Doctor Who video as an example.

(Tried to delete the original post but not quite sure how to do do and I can't edit it for some reason.) Moderators please remove if possible?

I also assure you I am a legitimate poster and not a troll (!) I have been a great fan of some of your productions over the years and respect what you have done for scene as a whole. Sorry that this post got me off to a bad start!

You're forgiven, as you're obviously not the trouble-maker that I initially thought you might have ben.

Social source share

Given the history of this thread, it was a most natural mistake to make.

What was the very first - if you can recall - record you played at Blackpool Mecca Ian ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Peter Lamarr's wonderful duet with Gina Foster

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Something else to enjoy, while we're all freezing in the snow and ice

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Given the history of this thread, it was a most natural mistake to make.

No worries its forgotten about. I hadn't read the thread in it's entirety when I originally posted so I can understand if Ian is a little paranoid. Still, the question is still an interesting one for any record producer. Certainly a question I have heard posed to others during TV and Radio interviews. Simon Cowell for example has plenty of skeletons in his closet (Telletubbies for one!) but he just laughs them off these days. That particular Doctor Who track I believe is still played at many Doctor Who conventions and so there are many folk out there who still enjoy it even if it didn't appeal to the masses.

Oh...and of course this is not my real name. It's one I've been using in internet land for some years now. Many people use pseudonyms on forums these days its not uncommon.

Edited by Slate Mcleod
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

From the forthcoming album "Soul Steppers" I proudly present the wonderful Odette Adams.

">

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I love It's Raining Men. It's also Homer Simpson's favourite record laugh.gif

My mum likes Homer Simpson. Maybe she'll like you as well, Pete? Candle light, Weather Girls playing in the back ground, talk of Springfield and a nice bottle of wine... :unsure:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Sounds ok to me except for the wine, I'm tee-total now!

(Things I never expected to say # 1)

Whoops, a bit off topic there. We should get back onto the subject of His Royal Highness, The Lord Of Soul-Source, King of The Soul Scene and to quote Sir Levine himself, self confessed "One Man Musical Miracle"... :unsure:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

My Nan would like that. She's always playing a bit Lionel, it'll float her boat for sure...

I have to publicly thank you most gratefully for all the wonderful publicity you have given me.

You couldn't buy so much publicity if your name was Simon Cowell.

You're fantastic.

And your Nan has wonderful taste. Please thank her for me.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I have to publicly thank you most gratefully for all the wonderful publicity you have given me.

You couldn't buy so much publicity if your name was Simon Cowell.

You're fantastic.

And your Nan has wonderful taste. Please thank her for me.

She's on Facebook, add her as a friend and tell her yourself. Pearl Bailey. She likes James Brown.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

My Nan would like that. She's always playing a bit Lionel, it'll float her boat for sure...

Hmmmmm

Now let me see...

My wonderful Peter Lamarr and Gina Foster duet of "Miracles".

Hmmmmmmmmm

Would I rather it be compared to Lionel Richie or to the Kings Go Forth.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Oh James, what a really difficult decision

:yes::D:P:P:D:yes::):):D:D:lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yet again you've paid me a great compliment.

To be compared to Lionel Richie is wonderful. Thankyou.

Social source share

Youv'e overstepped the mark JT.

Pat Lewis "Can't shake it loose" is a Golden World classic and therefore untouchable,(by law 4321, sub section 6,"Detroit records").Admittedly, you may not like the IL version,but watch out....there's a dinosaur about. :yes: .

Social source share

Youv'e overstepped the mark JT.

Pat Lewis "Can't shake it loose" is a Golden World classic and therefore untouchable,(by law 4321, sub section 6,"Detroit records").Admittedly, you may not like the IL version,but watch out..

I thought my version was remarkably faithful to the original, especially considering it was done eleven years ago, and so did Pat.

Social source share

hey,take it to the bank.

And that was a massive Blackpool Mecca record.

Not forgetting that Shalamar were created by............

Wait for it.........

All together now .............

Mister Soul Fox himself........

Simon Soussan

post-13099-1233880768_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Give it a rest James. You're much much better than this.

Are you sure, doesn't seem like it from where i'm sitting, just seems to be a constant stirrer who dis-regards other people who have already told him that we are interested in this thread without his snide comments spoiling it for us.

I'm just glad that he is down south and i'm never likely to meet him, because i don't think he would be added to my many friends on the soul scene.

gogs

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Give it a rest James. You're much much better than this.

If you read back Steve you will see the only time I have responded is whenever Her Royal Highness has brought my name up.

As Mike said, Her Royal Highness should have apologised, not just to the poster he accused of being me, but to me also. And how many other soul-source members would get away with making physical threats against other members? How many final warnings can he be given?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Are you sure, doesn't seem like it from where i'm sitting, just seems to be a constant stirrer who dis-regards other people who have already told him that we are interested in this thread without his snide comments spoiling it for us.

I'm just glad that he is down south and i'm never likely to meet him, because i don't think he would be added to my many friends on the soul scene.

gogs

See my reply to Steve.

Social source share

If you read back Steve you will see the only time I have responded is whenever Her Royal Highness has brought my name up.

As Mike said, Her Royal Highness should have apologised, not just to the poster he accused of being me, but to me also. And how many other soul-source members would get away with making physical threats against other members? How many final warnings can he be given?

got anything to say with site/modding do it in feedback

Social source share