Ian Levine Productions And Songs

Mr Levine....I think some of the things you have sorted are simply fantastic,

A personal thing......I have my records playing off the computer all of the time when I am in my study and in my car when I pick my 8 year old daughter up from school. She knows what she likes....."put the Vel-Vets on Daddy" or........ "put the Metros on Daddy" or ............."put Dana Valery on Daddy" (her favourite 3)

When I showed her the Vel-Vets and the Metros on Youtube she was ecstatic - she will remember it all of her life.......Thank you!!! (I will too)

Best

dogstoat

You're most welcome, and the Vel-Vets was certainly down to me, but I have never filmed the Metros, apart from the one guy Percy, who later joined The Elgins.

Social source share

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I do think you ought to ask them again, as it seems to have been forgotten about.

That comment's more than a little mischievous. The others were delayed due to your request that we put Peter Lamarr out as the 2nd single. I listened to it, agreed and now I get this?

Phil

Social source share

That comment's more than a little mischievous. The others were delayed due to your request that we put Peter Lamarr out as the 2nd single. I listened to it, agreed and now I get this?

Phil

Not at all Phil - I just don't have a clue when you plan to press the Nat Augustin, so I suggested he ask you direct. That's all - nothing more - nothing untoward at all.

Social source share

If you go to my YouTube page

https://www.youtube.com/ianlevine

There are 440 videos on there. You should click on where it says "view all" and you then get to see the thumbnails in pages of twenty at a time, and you can choose so many wonderful videos to see.

I found this a couple of weeks ago, it's fabulous but due to the hours I'm spending on there, my housework is falling behind!. :)

Very enjoyable listening though..

Jayne.x

Social source share

I found this a couple of weeks ago, it's fabulous but due to the hours I'm spending on there, my housework is falling behind!.

Very enjoyable listening though..

Jayne.x

I hope it's also very enjoyable watching too.

My entire life's blood is in there.

Social source share

I hope it's also very enjoyable watching too.

My entire life's blood is in there.

yes indeed it is. love the 2 more Venicia Wilson tracks i've found on here - never heard them before.

Jayne.

Social source share

yes indeed it is. love the 2 more Venicia Wilson tracks i've found on here - never heard them before.

Jayne.

With 440 videos on there, I was hoping people who like the music without taint of politics or bias, would find some great songs to discover, and open up a new world.

I thank you for watching, and I go to so much trouble EXACTLY for people like you, so you indeed have my true thanks.

Social source share

With 440 videos on there, I was hoping people who like the music without taint of politics or bias, would find some great songs to discover, and open up a new world.

I thank you for watching, and I go to so much trouble EXACTLY for people like you, so you indeed have my true thanks.

There's some absolutely great stuff on there. You can spend hours (and I have) and still not toiuch the surface.

I'm also a Jigsaw fan now too :thumbsup:

Phil

Social source share

There's some absolutely great stuff on there. You can spend hours (and I have) and still not toiuch the surface.

I'm also a Jigsaw fan now too

Phil

You're very kind.

Is there any sign yet of the Peter Lamarr singles ??? The video is ready.

Social source share

Apologies in advance for going wildly off topic (should know better as a Mod) but I thought you might like to see this Ian (& other members as well).

There's a thread over on EMS about the old Highland Room dancefloor getting ripped up & sold off & Colin Curtis added this.

Did they find my old 7" single box

It contained originals of

Del Larks Job Opening

Ronnie Mcneir Sitting In My Class

Eddie Parker I'm Gone

Eula Cooper Let our Love go Higher

Marvin Holmes You Better Keep Her

Dorothy Morrison

Life Tell Me Why

James Fountain Seven Day Lover

Freddie Chavez The'll Never Know Why

Innersection Let Me Love Yuh

Baker, Yvonne - You Didn't Say a Word

Epitome of Sound - You Don't Love Me

Beverly, Frankie & the Butlers - If That's What You Wanted

Salvadors - Stick by Me Baby

Tomangoes - I Really Love You

Barnes, Dena - If You Ever Walk Out of My Life

Smith, Moses - Girl Across the Street

Britt, Mel - She'll Come Running Back

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

Thomas, Don - Come on Train

MVPs - Turnin' My Heartbeat Up

Voices of East Harlem - Cashing In

Hutton, Bobby - Lend a Hand

Burdick, Doni - Bari Track

Ragland, Lou - I Travel Alone

Chavez, Freddie - They'll Never Know Why

Foster, Eddie - I Never Knew

Charades - Key to My Happiness

Woods, Billy - Let Me Make You Happy

Smith, Otis - Let Her Go

Professionals - That's Why I Love You

Chestnut, Morris - Too Darn Soulful

Bragg, Johnny - They're Talking About Me

Laws, Eloise - Love Factory

Williams, Bernie - Ever Again

Curtis, Lenny - Nothing Can Help You Now

Detroit Executives - Cool Off

Hamilton, Edward & the Arabians - Baby Don't You Weep

Mathis, Jodi - Don't You Care Any More

Anderson Brothers - I Can See Him Loving You

Barnes, Towanda - You Don't Mean It

Scott-Heron, Gil - The Bottle

There is a £5 reward for box and its contents.

Thanks

Think I'd have at least offered a tenner for the return :yes:biggrin.gif

Hope CC & the EMS mods don't mind me posting this but thought it would be of interest to some on SS.

Social source share

There's a thread over on EMS about the old Highland Room dancefloor getting ripped up & sold off & Colin Curtis added this.

Del Larks Job Opening

Eddie Parker I'm Gone

Dorothy Morrison

Life Tell Me Why

Smith, Otis - Let Her Go

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I played half of those, not him.

Social source share

There's a thread over on EMS about the old Highland Room dancefloor getting ripped up & sold off

One of the Blackpool Council phoned me up today, and said they'd like to honour me by sending me my own special piece.

I was a bit speechless.

This is the Gospel Truth.

Social source share

I know - and what I said was a

There was a single by Jigsaw on US Chelsea that we used to play at Blackpool Mecca. Can anyone remember which one it was ????

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hiya Ian.....

just off the topic but a general knowledge question, if you could kindly answer, please.

On a recent radio show, a north west jock played Flame And King And The Bold Ones - Oh Happy Day, during a Highland Room tribute. Did, or was this first played at the mecca....as I remember in 1978 this tune was big else where.

Thanks for you response.

Nick.

Social source share

Hiya Ian.....

just off the topic but a general knowledge question, if you could kindly answer, please.

On a recent radio show, a north west jock played Flame And King And The Bold Ones - Oh Happy Day, during a Highland Room tribute. Did, or was this first played at the mecca....as I remember in 1978 this tune was big else where.

Thanks for you response.

Nick.

Yes we played it, but I believe Richard Searling actually had a copy before either I or Colin did.

Social source share

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I played half of those, not him.

Whatever, an incredible playlist that compares to anything before or since. Ian, I've never kowtowed to you like some others on here, but as someone at the forefront ( well not the forefront as that was Sam and Arthur) of some of the tunes that were huge on the "modern scene" in the early eighties were tunes played by yourself and Colin and were simply reactivated by the like sof Sean Hampsey, Darren Harden and myself, that have now reached cult status, were first played as new releases by yourself.We all gave you full credit for those records, but How do you think of these tunes in comparison with the "classic" northern stuff of a couple of years earlier ? eg Bros Guiding Light, Aristocrats, Ujima, etc etc etc

Steve

Social source share

some of the tunes that were huge on the "modern scene" in the early eighties were tunes played by yourself and Colin and were simply reactivated by the like sof Sean Hampsey, Darren Harden and myself, that have now reached cult status, were first played as new releases by yourself.We all gave you full credit for those records, but How do you think of these tunes in comparison with the "classic" northern stuff of a couple of years earlier ? eg Bros Guiding Light, Aristocrats, Ujima, etc etc etc

Steve

Agree Steve, we always recognised em as having been Mecca spins, but worth mentioning that most of those tunes that made it REALLY BIG years later on the Nighter scene were 'a hand full o' spins' 45's as I recall when they were new.

Ujima, Brothers Guiding Light, Eddie Billups etc. were never big until we got hold of 'em... Until then they were very much 'hardly knowns' on the 'Northern' Allnighter scene and would have been completely forgotten - and never have reached 'cult status' - even yet - had it not been for Clifton Hall, Cleggy, Bradford etc..... and the DJ's that got behind them.

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Agree Steve, we always recognised em as having been Mecca spins, but worth mentioning that most of those tunes that made it REALLY BIG years later on the Nighter scene were 'a hand full o' spins' 45's as I recall when they were new.

Ujima, Brothers Guiding Light, Eddie Billups etc. were never big until we got hold of 'em... Until then they were very much 'hardly knowns' on the 'Northern' Allnighter scene and would have been completely forgotten - and never have reached 'cult status' - even yet - had it not been for Clifton Hall, Cleggy, Bradford etc..... and the DJ's that got behind them.

:lol:

Sean

Totally agree Sean. Different time different place, awesome records that never would have seen the light of day, irrespective of the Mecca playlists in the mid seventies if we, and in particular you, ahadn't brought them to a much wider audience. I always wonder why so many people have memories iof one particular nighter, when we were packing them in at a venue few of the "in crowd" never ever mention. Not withstanding Cleggy?Rotherham/Sheffield Tiffs and Millmoor on a Sunday :lol:

Social source share

Totally agree Sean. Different time different place, awesome records that never would have seen the light of day, irrespective of the Mecca playlists in the mid seventies if we, and in particular you, ahadn't brought them to a much wider audience. I always wonder why so many people have memories iof one particular nighter, when we were packing them in at a venue few of the "in crowd" never ever mention. Not withstanding Cleggy?Rotherham/Sheffield Tiffs and Millmoor on a Sunday :lol:

You have to remember that records like Ujima, Stevens & Foster, Al Hudson, Bessie Banks etc were all readily available as new releases & whilst the "stompers only" crew thought that the average Mecca punter was buying Dr Buzzard , Stanley Clarke , Brainstorm etc. a group of us were buying the "future monster" tunes as well.

Don't forget that Wigan ruled the roost & Mecca played "disco funky shite" so nobody who attended The Highland Room late 75 to 1977 new what good soul music was. :lol:

Colin's last hour set was the springboard for a lot of thes tunes which went on to be the staple diet of the events you list above.

Social source share

You have to remember that records like Ujima, Stevens & Foster, Al Hudson, Bessie Banks etc were all readily available as new releases & whilst the "stompers only" crew thought that the average Mecca punter was buying Dr Buzzard , Stanley Clarke , Brainstorm etc. a group of us were buying the "future monster" tunes as well.

Don't forget that Wigan ruled the roost & Mecca played "disco funky shite" so nobody who attended The Highland Room late 75 to 1977 new what good soul music was. :lol:

Colin's last hour set was the springboard for a lot of thes tunes which went on to be the staple diet of the events you list above.

were all readily available as new releases

Yes but you must also remember the balls it took to play them.

Social source share

Yes but you must also remember the balls it took to play them.

Colin Curtis played them - he didn't need balls, just a group of people on his wavelength - we bought & danced to them & this was before the world & his wife decided to become DJs.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

& this was before the world & his wife decided to become DJs.

And nothing has changed even today.......but we will leave that one alone :lol::lol: .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Whatever, an incredible playlist that compares to anything before or since. Ian, I've never kowtowed to you like some others on here, but as someone at the forefront ( well not the forefront as that was Sam and Arthur) of some of the tunes that were huge on the "modern scene" in the early eighties were tunes played by yourself and Colin and were simply reactivated by the like sof Sean Hampsey, Darren Harden and myself, that have now reached cult status, were first played as new releases by yourself.We all gave you full credit for those records, but How do you think of these tunes in comparison with the "classic" northern stuff of a couple of years earlier ? eg Bros Guiding Light, Aristocrats, Ujima, etc etc etc

Steve

Well Ujima was a big Colin Curtis spin at Blackpool, and I played all sorts of obscure stuff that went on to be valuable, like the Essex Four, Clydene Jackson, and Innersection.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Sean

Yes, Brothers Guiding Light got played at Blackpool, but not endlessly, however as for Eddie Billups, I hammered that, and Les Cokell used to love it so always requested it, and because of who he was, he was the one person whose requests got played.

Social source share

Colin Curtis played them - he didn't need balls, just a group of people on his wavelength - we bought & danced to them & this was before the world & his wife decided to become DJs.

That made me laugh - the world and his wife - but also cuttingly true.

Colin and I both believed it took more to being a DJ than just placing records onto a turntable.

Social source share

topic title says

Ian Levine Productions And Songs, Thread exclusively to discuss songs written or produced by Ian Levine

so do ask that all members do try and keep it to that

at a guess would say that a thread about mecca plays and such would work better in a new thread in "all our yesterdays"

Social source share

topic title says

Ian Levine Productions And Songs, Thread exclusively to discuss songs written or produced by Ian Levine

so do ask that all members do try and keep it to that

at a guess would say that a thread about mecca plays and such would work better in a new thread in "all our yesterdays"

You just CAN'T leave us alone, can you, Mike ?????????

You're the one who moved us here, out of the way, so now why not let us carry on with Cunnie moderating, instead of disrupting it all yet again, otherwise it's starting to look like persecution.

Social source share

this over the top almost hysterical reaction to any moderation requests/reminders is wearing just a bit thin

you started a thread to discuss your productions and music

if the subject is drying up or there's nothing to be said at the moment, then start a new thread about a different subject or get involved in other members threads

Social source share

You're the one who moved us here, out of the way, so now why not let us carry on with Cunnie moderating, instead of disrupting it all yet again, otherwise it's starting to look like persecution.

Actually I suggested the same thing a few posts earlier. Nothing to with persecution, it's just an intriguing subject that might interest people who might not check a thread about your productions. As far as I can see there's no criticism, it's simply a case of putting a topic where the maximum number of members can get some enjoyment out of it and reply with own impressions. Nothing sinister there I reckon.

Social source share

Guest familytree

One of the Blackpool Council phoned me up today, and said they'd like to honour me by sending me my own special piece.

I was a bit speechless.

This is the Gospel Truth.

Why be shocked? credit were its due I say... hey you will be asked to sign a few of them pieces for added value me thinx! x

Social source share

Why be shocked? credit were its due I say... hey you will be asked to sign a few of them pieces for added value me thinx! x

My piece arrived and it's actually quite smart, with an authentic stamp of proof on it.

It's probably the exact spot where Christine Gojke danced to The Carstairs in 1974.

Social source share

Don't forget that Wigan ruled the roost & Mecca played "disco funky shite" so nobody who attended The Highland Room late 75 to 1977 new what good soul music was. :no:

I , like countless other people who had during those years - and still have - a wider ranging appreciation of music aligned to the NS scene , find your belief and conviction ( highlighted above ) , offensive in respect of what you assume to be our comprehnsion of music .

I religiously attended the HR during those times ( and in the preceding years , and up to it closing ), to hear a more challenging music policy , so your statement of " nobody who attended the Highland Room late 75 to 1977 new ( ? ) what good soul music was " , is a load of testicles as far as I am concerned ........

For your consideration , and example of " not knowing what good soul music was " , was buying the Ujima 45 on the recommendation of CC , the week before he first played it .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Sorry, I am guilty for asking a question earlier about Flame And King.....not a Bold One to ask off topic... :no: .

And a few other interested folks as well, but a valued answer well accepted of course.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

I , like countless other people who had during those years - and still have - a wider ranging appreciation of music aligned to the NS scene , find your belief and conviction ( highlighted above ) , offensive in respect of what you assume to be our comprehnsion of music .

I religiously attended the HR during those times ( and in the preceding years , and up to it closing ), to hear a more challenging music policy , so your statement of " nobody who attended the Highland Room late 75 to 1977 new ( ? ) what good soul music was " , is a load of testicles as far as I am concerned ........

For your consideration , and example of " not knowing what good soul music was " , was buying the Ujima 45 on the recommendation of CC , the week before he first played it .........

Malc Burton

Malc - think we have got our wires crossed here. I am actually totally in agreement with you.

The remark you higlighted was a "tongue in cheek" statement as to how the stompers only Northern soul crew perceived us Highland Room regulars.

The point I was making is that Blackpool Mecca was NOT all about funk & disco - people like me (& you !!) were buying Ujima, Bessie Banks & other "future monsters" as new releases back then.

Believe me I & many other people had to defend Blackpool Mecca back then to the sixties mafia & tell them that is wasn't just about Disco & Funk.

In my cack-handed way things may have become lost in translation - or perhaps you have just read it wrong!! :no:

"I come here to praise The Mecca - not bury it"

Social source share

I'd better post something about my work or else Mike will get the hump again.

Delroy G. Pinnock - "Halfway To Your Heart"

Simply mindblowing and soul tingling and goosebump fodder. Teddy Pendergrass meets Al Green.

And hopefully coming tomorrow, the Peter Lamarr video.

Watch this space.

Social source share

if the subject is drying up or there's nothing to be said at the moment, then start a new thread about a different subject or get involved in other members threads

As long as it stays here out of the way, why can't people just use one thread to ask me questions about MY CAREER ??????

Don't bother explaining again - I already know what your answer is going to be. I'm just venting again. It still seems wrong and obtuse and overzealous and unnecessarily bureaucratic.

Social source share

Malc - think we have got our wires crossed here. I am actually totally in agreement with you.

The remark you higlighted was a "tongue in cheek" statement as to how the stompers only Northern soul crew perceived us Highland Room regulars.

The point I was making is that Blackpool Mecca was NOT all about funk & disco - people like me (& you !!) were buying Ujima, Bessie Banks & other "future monsters" as new releases back then.

Believe me I & many other people had to defend Blackpool Mecca back then to the sixties mafia & tell them that is wasn't just about Disco & Funk.

In my cack-handed way things may have become lost in translation - or perhaps you have just read it wrong!! :no:

"I come here to praise The Mecca - not bury it"

Possibly the both : I had read " Don't forget that Wigan ruled the roost & Mecca played "disco funky shite" so nobody who attended The Highland Room late 75 to 1977 new what good soul music was " , several times , and did not - coukld not - see that is was meant TIC ........

No harm done : my apologies - I tend to get defensive at times , and this was one of them : so let us resume business " as usual " - and above all , long live the spirt of The Mecca .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest chartertime

Apologies in advance for going wildly off topic (should know better as a Mod) but I thought you might like to see this Ian (& other members as well).

Del Larks Job Opening

Eddie Parker I'm Gone

Dorothy Morrison

Life Tell Me Why

Smith, Otis - Let Her Go

Thanks

Think I'd have at least offered a tenner for the return :no::yes:

Hope CC & the EMS mods don't mind me posting this but thought it would be of interest to some on SS.

Social source share

Guest chartertime

I was fortunate to get into The Highland Room in December and had the same thought.........were any records dropped down the back of the stage. Only found a No 6 fag packet......was that Colin's ! Can have back free if required.

What a selection of tunes!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Malc and Andy - good to see you have both taken the sharpness off "The Mecca Spirt" and a little undercurrent of misunderstanding..... :no: .

The Highland Room was something acceptable by the good soul folks, on a general note or a slant from a Northern angle, it was the downstairs all - dayers, that the NS crowd generalised as "disco shite". So The room upstairs stood alone.....unaffended by the purists.

We know the truth......lads.

Social source share