David Gest

Mr Gest is in concert at Liverpool Philharmonic on Saturday (two shows). Certainly not something that would normally interest me remotely but his "friends" who are all going to be performing live include:

Russell Thompkins

Peabo Bryson

James Ingram

Billy Paul

Freda Payne

Dorothy Moore

Eddie Holman

and the Edwin Hawkins Singers.

Should be a decent show!

Edited by yellosoul
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mr Gest is in concert at Liverpool Philharmonic on Saturday (two shows). Certainly not something that would normally interest me remotely but his "friends" who are all going to be performing live include:

Russell Thompkins

Peabo Bryson

James Ingram

Billy Paul

Freda Payne

Dorothy Moore

Eddie Holman

and the Edwin Hawkins Singers.

Should be a decent show!

DG " tour " dates ........

Date: 6th October 2008 - 7.30pm Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

Box Office: 0151 709 3789

Book online: https://www.liverpoolphil.com

Date: 9th October 2008 - 8pm Fairfield Halls

Box Office: 020 8688 9291

Book Online: www.fairfield.co.uk

Date: 13th October 2008 - 7.00pm Cambridge Corn Exchange

Box Office: 01223 357 851

Book online: www.cornex.co.uk

Given the accompanying line up , Possibly the best concerts in the world in 2009 ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Do you lot not think that he has had enough exposure from "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here!"

I have never seen such a case of band waggoning !

He must have some credibility , in order to muster together a line up such as will be with him on the dates ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Was supposed to do Blackpool Opera House last year - until a "back injury" made him cancel the tour - my wife & her friend bought tickets (suspect demand for tickets wasn't too high) - think the show would have still been OK without him !!

Social source share

Do you lot not think that he has had enough exposure from "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here!"

I have never seen such a case of band waggoning !

In fairness he does have a genuine love of soul music - how many people can boast that, amongst others, Luther Vandross sang at their wedding. The guest list for Liza Minnelli & him was like a who's who of soul.

Social source share

So would the guests be singing their own songs, or duetting with him?

I'd certainly go along to see the guests.

The full line up for the UK concerts -

Russell Thompkins Jr & The New Stylistics

Peabo Bryson

James Ingram

Billy Paul

Freda Payne

Dorothy Moore

Eddie Holman

The Edwin Hawkins Singers

Billy Davies & Marilyn McCoo

and .......

Bonnie Tyler

:shhh:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Given the accompanying line up , Possibly the best concerts in the world in 2009 ?

Malc Burton

Bit confused here Malc,

Was it 2008 or is it 2009?

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Bit confused here Malc,

Was it 2008 or is it 2009?

Testicle dropping admittance in respect of a senior moment occurance :shhh: ........

I should have read DG's " My Life " tour website more clearly , as I would have seen the dates I posted stated 2008.......

The concerts in Januray 2009 , are this coming Saturday the 10th in Liverpool , and two days after , on Monday the 12th at the London Indigo2 : the same line up applies for both nights with the exception of Billy Davies and Marilyn McCoo , who do not play Liverpool .

Malc " are you eyes painted on " Burton

post-5097-1231419868_thumb.jpg

post-5097-1231419883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Malc Burton

just clicked on to the Liverpool phil website and not only DG and 'chums' but also on a different date is Candi Staton.

however this pales into insignifance a little bit cos also appearing next Saturday is the legendary Geno Washington and his ram jam band with guest PP Arnold. :shhh:

Now then Geno must have been touring for ages and still going strong. Go on then hands up who's seen him :lol:

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

just clicked on to the Liverpool phil website and not only DG and 'chums' but also on a different date is Candi Staton.

however this pales into insignifance a little bit cos also appearing next Saturday is the legendary Geno Washington and his ram jam band with guest PP Arnold. :shhh:

Now then Geno must have been touring for ages and still going strong. Go on then hands up who's seen him :lol:

Good spot Jez, and the after show party for Geno is at legendary Northern Soul venue, THE SINK CLUB which is literally round the corner from the Phil.

Social source share

Good spot Jez, and the after show party for Geno is at legendary Northern Soul venue, THE SINK CLUB which is literally round the corner from the Phil.

I know mate it sounds like a brill night :shhh: . On further investigation :lol: Jimmy james is on with him as well.

Looks like '60's brit Soul/rnb reincarnate biggrin.gif

Social source share

I know mate it sounds like a brill night :shhh: . On further investigation :lol: Jimmy james is on with him as well.

Looks like '60's brit Soul/rnb reincarnate biggrin.gif

Returning to the David Gest connection , and given the quality of the " support " acts , why have the promoters included Bonnie Tyler on the bill for God's sake ?

She might be a nice lass , but having her warble " Total Eclipse Of The Arse " and " Holding Out For An Aero ", in the same evening as highly meritable recordings of the other - and more notable - artists , beggers belief ........

All I can assume her inclusion is following the promoter being told that she fronted a " soul " group called Imagination in Wales , when she was 17 .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Returning to the David Gest connection , and given the quality of the " support " acts ,

why 'support' acts - he's presumably not singing?! i thought he was just a music industry type (although better known for the Liza Minelli and I'm a Celebrity... connections now), started out doing promotion for Al Green and Ann Peebles (so the web tells me)

why have the promoters included Bonnie Tyler on the bill for God's sake ?

presumably he's picked artists he's liked and/or worked with in the past? it's his choice of acts, he can do what he likes i guess...

Social source share

Returning to the David Gest connection , and given the quality of the " support " acts , why have the promoters included Bonnie Tyler on the bill for God's sake ?

She might be a nice lass , but having her warble " Total Eclipse Of The Arse " and " Holding Out For An Aero ", in the same evening as highly meritable recordings of the other - and more notable - artists , beggers belief ........

All I can assume her inclusion is following the promoter being told that she fronted a " soul " group called Imagination in Wales , when she was 17 .........

Malc Burton

When this tour was originally advertised last year the legendary Peter Andre was on the bill laugh.gif:D:lol: , which put me off booking, DG was doing the rounds on various TV shows advertising this event ,he dances with dwarfs :lol: , but hurt his foot while rehearsing, and was worried that the show would be cancelled, probably why it was re-scheduled to 2009. Now if Nick Knowles was in the show I'd definitely be there. :wub:

Edited by soulchic
Social source share

Wow!

The concert was absolutely superb. David Gest acted as MC, told a few funny stories and seemed genuinely humbled by the presence of so many legendary soul singers.

Edwin Hawkins, backed by a full gospel choir kicked of with a rousing version of Oh Happy Day, then it was Eddie Holman, still hitting all the high notes on Hey There Lonely Girl, a superb rendition. Freda Payne looked great but sounded a little hoarse on Band Of Gold, Dorothy Moore gave a stunningly soulful performance of Misty Blue. Billy Paul then stole the show with two superb numbers, Let Em In and of course Mrs Jones, he actually sounded in better voice than when I last saw him in concert 30 odd years ago. A truly astonishing performance from a guy who must be nearing 70. Russell Thompkins and his New Stylistics had an extended spot, showcasing many of their (I'd forgotten how many they had) UK hits. Another singer who's retained all of his vocal prowess and still hits those incredibly high notes.

The second half saw Peabo Bryson, whose voice sent shivers down my spine, so pure, clear and powerful, duetting with one of the backing singers (who was great and a hundred times better than any of the so called X Factor "stars") on a number of his hits including my favourite A Whole New World before being joined onstage by James Ingram for a sensational version of Yah Mo Be There. Freda Payne then re appeared and sounded much better vocally as she sang a jazzy song to Mr Gest, a bit cheesy but thouroughly entertaining.

Bonnie Tyler was a no show :thumbsup: so the final act was a young white English singer (lead singer of Busted?) who did a great song called "That Guy Is Crazy" which apparently is David Gest's theme tune. The lad sounded for all the world like a young Michael Jackson.

The encore/finale saw all of the acts back onstage for a chorus of Ain't Nobody.

A thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining Saturday afternoon, if anybody is thinking of going to the London show I'd highly recommend it!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert