Soul Singers Called Pete Or Peter

• Replies 50
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

And was Pete Cooke black or white? It's an interesting thing, which names are popular with Black Americans and which ain't and why.

Unless it was Dudley Moores comedy partner, i haven't got a pot-o'-glue.

Pete isn't a common name amongst African Americans, the most famous is probably Pete Brown (PGA Golfer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Brown_(golfer)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Pete Mayes on Ovide

Pete Mayes - Peace - Ovide

I'll be spinning it 23rd Jan at Move On! Great underplayed soul. :thumbsup:

Shameless plug over.... whistling.gif

Social source share

I checked the iPod and the only Petes we've got are the Peter Moore Orchestra and Peter Cooke & Dudley Moore biggrin.gif

Daniel Dombrowe in Germany was just saying to me the other day that he's trying to think of names for his new baby boy who's due next week, and he really wanted Marvin, but that's apparently really popular with East German chavs over there...

Social source share

Doh! No really major Petes though, and no Adrians at all!

Like I said, Peter Lamarr comes from Detroit and was in the Drifters, Faye Treadwell's official group, for many many many years.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Pete Moore of The Miracles is one everyone's missed. OK, so I know his birth name was Warren, but he was always referred to as Pete on the Miracles' album covers and by other group members/Motown alumni.

Does that count?

Social source share

here's a few more

CAMEO 264 PETE ANTELL YOU IN DISGUISE

BABY 610 PETE HARTFIELD MIGHTY MAN

DRIVE 6269 PETER BROWN DANCE WITH ME

TK RECORDS S TKR-6009 PETER BROWN Do ya wanna get funky with me

TK RECORDS S TKR-6027 PETER BROWN / B WRIGHT DANCE WITH ME

LOCK LK 83 PETER COLLY LOVE IS GOOD FOR YOU

LOADSTONE 1602 PETER JOHNSON FADING DAY

ARISTA AS-0112 PETER NERO EMMANUELLE

Social source share

Pete Parker on Kapp; definitely a proper soul singer rather than a pop artist appropriated by the Northern scene. His "Standing On The Outside" 45 is a Leonard Jewel Smith production and a fairly decent deep soul ballad.

On the other side of the coin is Steve Davis on RCA Victor; definitely a pop artist but his "Laugh A Little, Cry A Lot" is a beat ballad I've always had a great deal of time for as an exquisite example of the genre. I presume this is the guy who wrote Percy Sledge's immortal "Take Time To Know Her", too, so his country-soul credentials are impeccable.

Also on RCA there is Steve Colt, an artist I don't really know much about but I believe is another blue-eyed singer.

We mustn't forget Steve Dixon, a fine singer with several bona-fide Southern Soul rarities to his name with the most notable one being "Depend On Me" on Spotlite: one of the most expensive deep soul records out there.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

And was Pete Cooke black or white? It's an interesting thing, which names are popular with Black Americans and which ain't and why.

Pete Cooke, fabulous voice, sounds very african american. Also check out BIG PETE and the MINUTE MEN on J.Ms for the track Big Pete for a bit of bluesy fun.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

BEAT ME TO IT THE DO YOU WANNA GET FUNKY WITH ME MAN, JUST FINISHED WATCHING DERBY SHOW UTD WHAT PASSION CAN DO ON THE PITCH.WHAT ABOUT PETER TOSH AND PETER LEMONGELLO

KEV

Check out the superb "For Your Love" by Peter Brown folks! (on his first Drive album and as flip to "Dance With Me" on Drive/UK TK 12") One of the most creative and haunting productions I've ever heard.

Social source share

not sure why but "return to me" by pete samson keeps coming into my head, is it an actual record, an actual artist, is it soul or northern or is it one of those heard it whilst pissed names

Monster rare blue-eyed Northern we played at Blackpool Mecca in 1974.

On a label called Barbaby.

Mega mega rare (or at least it certainly used to be).

I had forgotten all about it. I think I dug it out and re-played it at The Rocket in 2002. Then eventually sold it to someone - no idea who.

Social source share

Monster rare blue-eyed Northern we played at Blackpool Mecca in 1974.

On a label called Barbaby.

Mega mega rare (or at least it certainly used to be).

I had forgotten all about it. I think I dug it out and re-played it at The Rocket in 2002. Then eventually sold it to someone - no idea who.

its all coming back to me now, can anyone post it up, now i wont settle till i hear it again ! (even though i cant emember what it sounds like)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert