Ian Levine 2009

I think I sitill err on the GP with HSJ though. Because something is GP doesn't make it a bad record and mean that it shouldn't be played and being NS doesn't make a record a good record and some of them should never be played

She's chatted to me lots of times on my MySpace page, her name's Lorraine, and she herself certainly considers it to be Northern Soul.

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

She's chatted to me lots of times on my MySpace page, her name's Lorraine, and she herself certainly considers it to be Northern Soul.

That may be Ian, but is this because she has been led to believe this by people on the UK scene who loved and wanted to hear the record played out or has she a deep knowledge of the full NS scene through her own experience.

This is not a dig as I said before it is one of my favourite GP records and fits in well with the NS scene like many 60sGP and as does a lot of RnB/Beach music/popcorn and to some extent 70s disco (sorry couldn't reist that one :shhh: ).

QoFxx

Social source share

That may be Ian, but is this because she has been led to believe this by people on the UK scene who loved and wanted to hear the record played out or has she a deep knowledge of the full NS scene through her own experience.

This is not a dig as I said before it is one of my favourite GP records and fits in well with the NS scene like many 60sGP and as does a lot of RnB/Beach music/popcorn and to some extent 70s disco (sorry couldn't reist that one :shhh: ).

QoFxx

=============

HSJ, deffo falls under the northern banner IMO ;-)

Social source share

Well as long as it is played who cares but I will keep it in my Red Sleeved selection (60sGP) for now :shhh:

QoFxx

Must we pigeonhole so much ?????????

Social source share

I will keep it in my Red Sleeved selection (60sGP )

Must we pigeonhole so much ?????????

Agreed - I hate to think what colour coordination others come under , adding to the segregation / discrimination of the collector ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Agreed - I hate to think what colour coordination others come under , adding to the segregation / discrimination of the collector ......

Malc Burton

Berry Gordy said it all, in seven simple words.

IT'S WHAT'S IN THE GROOVES THAT COUNTS

Social source share

Part of the "Golden Age" of Northern Soul - 1971 to 1974. Without doubt there were more quality tunes discovered & played in this period than any other time on the scene.

Good answer : I am in agreement with your reply :shhh:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...I look forward to more ''nuggets'' of info about the music, discoveries, deals (whether unsavory or not) and views.... Please don't get involved in slanging matches as it tends to be to the exclusion of all of us who dont personaly know you or your adversary.

Nomad

I totally agree. I think most folk on here would fully appreciate more personal stories of how and where records were found, how they went down first time played, gossip about artists etc. etc.... in short, "Soul stuff" based on your vast experience!

(I realize however that this might be less interesting from your own point of view, but there are so many great anecdotes yet to be told and I'm sure that is what would fascinate us all!) I doubt either if anybody minds the odd heated argument regarding who found/played a record first etc. - provided it's all kept fairly civil - as that's a common occurance on here(!)

The main problem is the difficulty in attempting to follow a multi-themed thread where everyone is throwing questions (or insults) at you. Then it becomes incredibly confusing and very tedious to read, and I for one usually give up reading!

Best to begin a thread with a particular theme and attempt to stick to it, within reason, with a follow up thread should a separate topic emerge?

As an example, how did you first meet Colin (Curtis)? Was it at the Torch? Are there any more unreleased acetates of your 70s recordings? (as in Danny Leake) etc. etc.

Best, Mel.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:thumbsup: That's it Mel, keep it to one subject matter then ask 3 different questions :P or 4 even,

They are not questions per.se. They are suggestions for possible thread topics.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think you'll find Ian once mentioned it in his Black Music column C.1975, if my memory serves.

No your memory doesn't serve, you saw it the same place that I did. On the web. The scan of the magazine from 1975, you don't remember it at all, do you? Don't try to look clever :thumbsup:

I'd prefer Ian to answer though, where, when etc...

And where's this best ever northern soul record that he's produced that's coming out? Let's hear it...

Social source share

as i said before

one thread worked at the time due to various reasons

things have moved on since then

if wish to talk about different subjects then start up different threads!

one thread will not work

butternut thread started

ask talk about it there

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

butternut thread started

ask talk about it there

Levine will only speaks in the Levine thread. He's a special member.

You may as well delete the thread Mike...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

any other q, subjects or wanna talk about any thing raised or what ever ask start a new one up

thanks

mike

So this thread is for?

Social source share

So this thread is for?

dunno

last time looked it was about the tymes saving the northern soul scene in 1980

as said its not going to work

if anyone wants to about the mecca then start a thread called the mecca

if want to talk about ...... etc etc

Social source share

dunno

last time looked it was about the tymes saving the northern soul scene in 1980

as said its not going to work

if anyone wants to about the mecca then start a thread called the mecca

if want to talk about ...... etc etc

ok moved some of the posts out and grouped then into 4 or so subject related threads

just done a few for now

if wish to continue discuss any of the stuff left, then ask that you repost in a bit or get in touch and will split later

thanks

mike

Social source share