Top "up And Coming" Dj's For 2009

Tykarim

Hi!

After the very interesting "Top tips for 2009" topic, would be interesting to know wich -in the opinion of the members of Soul-source- are the top NEW Dj's of UK/European/USA soul scenes for 2009...as the half-promoter of Movin' On Barcelona, i'm definitely interested in new and/or young talent... :thumbsup:

Best regards and happy new year to you all

Eduard

Edited by tykarim
Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi!

After the very interesting "Top tips for 2009" topic, would be interesting to know wich -in the opinion of the members of Soul-source- are the top NEW Dj's of UK/European/USA soul scenes for 2009...as the half-promoter of Movin' On Barcelona, i'm definitely interested in new and/or young talent... :thumbup:

Eduard

Edu, I've heard good things about a youngster called Soul Sam. :thumbsup:

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

2 djs that have stood out for me last year are Dr Pickes, his music aint standing still and just keeps getting better and better :yes:

Also Tim Smithers who i have had the privilege of hearing a couple of times lately and he has some tunes but is no spring chicken though :D sorry Tim :P

and anyone else who has the balls to play off the beaten track :)

Bearsy

Social source share

2 djs that have stood out for me last year are Dr Pickes, his music aint standing still and just keeps getting better and better :yes:

Also Tim Smithers who i have had the privilege of hearing a couple of times lately and he has some tunes but is no spring chicken though :D sorry Tim :P

and anyone else who has the balls to play off the beaten track :)

Bearsy

Bearsy,

Got to agree with you.Two very good shouts there.The good Dr Pickles came down in August and played a couple of superb spots at The Uni.

Tim has some absolute top tunes in his box and as you say has the balls to play off the beaten track which he did at The Uni in October.

Dave.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Your goodself Bearsy ?

and that Brian Rae lad looks promising..

i have say brian rae 1st

keith minshull 2nd that's if a young lad name Gary Beattie does not pip them to the post

Social source share

Miss Goldie - Melbourne

Callum - Melbourne

Both Australian, so I guess not much chance of hearing them here. :yes: They are an oasis of soul in OZ and they definitely DONT walk the well beaten path.

Fortunately I will get to hear them in February/March! :)

Brett Franklin

Bob Cornock

Alex Jones.....one of the very best!! (not new, but still not appreciated enough!)

Baz A, Kev Cane, Gaz Simon (north East generally has a soulful, maverick approach!)

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Hi!

After the very interesting "Top tips for 2009" topic, would be interesting to know wich -in the opinion of the members of Soul-source- are the top NEW Dj's of UK/European/USA soul scenes for 2009...as the half-promoter of Movin' On Barcelona, i'm definitely interested in new and/or young talent... :)

Eduard

Me. I'm a new and young talent and this year I'm going to be awesome!. :P

seriously, "Top" new DJ's who I reckon should / may go 'global' in 2009 - Dolly (as in Mrs Jones), she is turning up some interesting records and I can see her giving some of the guys a run for their money this year. Also I've heard lots of people raving over Johnny Finger's box of tuneage....not sure who he is but he seems to get rave reviews from loads of people I've spoken to (sorry for being ignorant if he's on here).. also for me, Yockie. I know he's well known and one of yorkshire's finest... I think he should be recognied as one of the UK's best and be on more of these 'top dj' line up's across the country. :yes:

But only MVHO of course...

Jayne.x

Social source share

Me. I'm a new and young talent and this year I'm going to be awesome!. :)

seriously, "Top" new DJ's who I reckon should / may go 'global' in 2009 - Dolly (as in Mrs Jones), she is turning up some interesting records and I can see her giving some of the guys a run for their money this year. Also I've heard lots of people raving over Johnny Finger's box of tuneage....not sure who he is but he seems to get rave reviews from loads of people I've spoken to (sorry for being ignorant if he's on here).. also for me, Yockie. I know he's well known and one of yorkshire's finest... I think he should be recognied as one of the UK's best and be on more of these 'top dj' line up's across the country. :yes:

But only MVHO of course...

Jayne.x

I will second that vote for the YockMeister ...........

A highly creditable and creative DJ , who has earned his place on the circuit through merit , and not an ego .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Are Smashy and Nicey on the Northern scene now ,or are they sticking to rap/deep house? If not my vote is for them ....or maybe I'm not taking this thread seriously enough? :yes:

Social source share

Are Smashy and Nicey on the Northern scene now ,or are they sticking to rap/deep house? If not my vote is for them ....or maybe I'm not taking this thread seriously enough? :yes:

Smashie and Nicey ? they were were modelled on the stars of " Botties Over Britain " , Ian Dewhirst and Paul Schofield ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I will second that vote for the YockMeister ...........

A highly creditable and creative DJ , who has earned his place on the circuit through merit , and not an ego .

Malc Burton

worrabart the brandysistas two young up n coming dj,s , :rolleyes::lol::ohmy: funny as well :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Are Smashy and Nicey on the Northern scene now ,or are they sticking to rap/deep house? If not my vote is for them ....or maybe I'm not taking this thread seriously enough? :rolleyes:

who the fook are these never heard of them on the northern soul scene

Social source share

who the fook are these never heard of them on the northern soul scene

:lol: It was a tongue in cheek joke Baz....they are Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse's charicature d.j's!!!

:rolleyes: Coat.....I'll get mine. :ohmy:

Social source share

Andy Dennison (Edinburgh)

Steve Riddle (Ridds) (Aberdeen)

Des Crombie (Aberdeen)

Malcolm Dunn (?)

Alan Paterson (Aberdeen)

John McDonald (Dundee)

Already top DJ's in Scotland but really should be heard more UK wide.

Have to agree with you there Div...... Andy Dennison has got to be right at the top there, his sets never fail to amaze me, he always comes up with that big oomph of something special, great imaginative sets. All these guys are the bees knees as far as originality go, complimented with rare favourites , lesser heard, and newer rare sounds. THE CREAM OF THE CROP. :lol::ohmy::rolleyes:

Malcolm is also From Dundee.

Phyllis

Edited by philly
Social source share

Hi, John!

Ady is an usual suspect of Spanish nighters, he'll have a shot of Djing in BCN for sure...we love the guy!

Best

Edu

HOW ABOUT THE YOUNG MR LUPTON AND JOEL MASLIN NEVER GET ENOUGH BOOKINGS IN MY OPINION :D BUT YOU CAN HEAR THEM AT THE SUNFLOWER LOUNGE BIRMINGHAM ON THE 30TH JAN :wicked:
Social source share

Guest belly chest

got agree Barney. Bernie played a blinder. have heared him a few times around the scene and he,s good but to be truely honest it,s got to be the chicargo bear himself the yockmister a great d.j although Alex Simms will (repeat will) take over from him in time imo

Social source share

:D It was a tongue in cheek joke Baz....they are Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse's charicature d.j's!!!

:wicked: Coat.....I'll get mine. :lol:

Apparently they do a lot of 'Charity' dos :lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Respect where its due to all the older Djs but its always nice to see young DJs breaking through with a genuine passion for the music.

Edu did an amazing set down the 100 club a few years back at that Euro allnighter. I hope Ady puts on another one of those nights the music was fantastic.

Pip over in Dublin is another fantastic DJ with a great style.

Social source share

Guest malayka

Hi edu,

How about people like

Misha Chak (St. Petersburg)

Stefan Kubernus (Germany)

Markus Sichter (Germany)

Papito (Italy)

Paul Leney (UK)

I can name more if you want....

They all have a taste which fit's perfectly to Movin' on...and they're all young, hip, and have awesome records :thumbup:

Malayka

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Have to agree with you there Div...... Andy Dennison has got to be right at the top there, his sets never fail to amaze me, he always comes up with that big oomph of something special, great imaginative sets. All these guys are the bees knees as far as originality go, complimented with rare favourites , lesser heard, and newer rare sounds. THE CREAM OF THE CROP. :g::):thumbup:

Malcolm is also From Dundee.

Phyllis

Rare Favourites, Lesser-Heard & Newer Rarer sounds , sums these guys up nicely and the reason I keep the faith with the Scottish Scene.

Social source share

Hi, Malayka!

Funny, i'll be seeing Papito this week in BCN! :thumbup:

More tips would be appreciated....

Best!

Edu

Hi edu,

How about people like

Markus Sichter (Germany)

Papito (Italy)

Paul Leney (UK)

They all have a taste which fit's perfectly to Movin' on...and they're all young, hip, and have awesome records :g:

Malayka

Social source share

Hi edu,

How about people like

Markus Sichter (Germany)

Papito (Italy)

Paul Leney (UK)

They all have a taste which fit's perfectly to Movin' on...and they're all young, hip, and have awesome records :thumbup:

Malayka

Whats Movin on? :P Forget that, I just saw it at the top! Duh! :thumbsup:

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Luppers & Joel ARE the new Smashie & Nicey on the northern scene. Joel's even got the shiny tracksuit tops already.

post-8338-1231330917_thumb.jpg

Look that tracksuit top was me in sports leisure mode.....have to say though that really DOES look like Luppers. Its the grimace and the conker-esque perma-tan.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Any chance of some current plays from the up coming DJ's, might get them some work if promoters knew what they played. Many promoters won't give someone a set on word of mouth or some recommendation from their mates. Do they have something to offer that isn't there already???? Lifeline always on the lookout for up coming DJ's with something to offer.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Hi edu,

How about people like

Markus Sichter (Germany)

Papito (Italy)

Paul Leney (UK)

Malayka

HI Malayka i've heard your wonderful show you have made to Papito (thanks to it probably i've saved some money to buy Big Dave and Debow)

i'm from the same city of papito and he has a great taste in music and not only regarding soul, i knew him for about 15 years or maybe more...and with him i started spinning 45s...thanks to him i've learned what it means to dig and build my own taste

i'll remember an occasion to listen Papito or weekly on radio pellenera "good taste" or in may for the first chapter of EPIC SOUL WEEKENDER

https://epicsoul.blogs.it

DON'T MISS IT

so mine top djs are

PAPITO

MALAYKA

MR EDU (UNLUCKLY NOT DOUBLE DECKED WITH HIM FOR LAST SUMMER AT RIMINI :P)))

MR MICHAEL ROBINSON (DIG DEEPER NYC)

CRISTIAN RIVIERA (GAMBETTOLA SOUL CITY)

TOMMASO FROM AREZZO the younger (19 years) that i know amazing stuff in his flycase

and for who want hear my shows theres a lot on my profile.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Alfie79
Social source share

Any chance of some current plays from the up coming DJ's, might get them some work if promoters knew what they played. Many promoters won't give someone a set on word of mouth or some recommendation from their mates. Do they have something to offer that isn't there already???? Lifeline always on the lookout for up coming DJ's with something to offer.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, Me..!

current playlist:-

Cavaliers - Dance Little Girl

Exaveyons - I dont Love you No More

Harvey Scales - Trackdown

Jay Bush & House Rockers - Dynamite

Vikki Anderson - I Wont Be Back

Rayford Tucker - If You Need More Time

Sharon Soul - How Can I Get To You

Patti Jo - Make Me Believe

Christine Adams - Lonelyness Is Always Around

Little Melvin - Jealous Lover

Little Milton - Driftin Drifter

Fantasic Four - Pin Point It Down

Martha Reeves - I'll Never Be Alone

Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover

Linda Jones - My Heart Needs

Mickey Moonshine - Name It

Robert Parker Caught You In Lie

The Exception - You Always Hurt Me

Visitors - What About Me

Compass - Thats Enough For Me

Javells - Goodbye Nothing to Say

And A couple of coverups.

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

Hi!

It's a bi-monthly soul allnighter held in Barcelona, next one will be on the 7th of April, with SEBASTIAN FONZEUS (Sweden), YANN VATISTE (France/UK) and RICARD PRIETO (Barcelona). I run it along with Cristina Alonso, also organiser of THE BOILER R&B parties in BCN.

Our musical policy is totally across the board, from R&B to soulful house, but focusing a bit more on the modern side of things...Here you have the reviews, playlists and photos of the last MOVIN' ON editions:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Movin-B...vin#entry886786

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Movin-t...vin#entry797787

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Movin-O...vin#entry703357

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Movin-B...vin#entry951527

Many thanks to everybody for the tips, keep'em coming!

Best!

Edu

Whats Movin on? :lol: Forget that, I just saw it at the top! Duh! :thumbsup:
Social source share

Hi, Alfie!

Sorry for not being able to make it for Rimini, i was quite sick then...but i'm considering coming to The Eipc Soul Weekender so i can see my old friend from NY plus you italian lot!

Best!

Edu

HI Malayka i've heard your wonderful show you have made to Papito (thanks to it probably i've saved some money to buy Big Dave and Debow)

i'm from the same city of papito and he has a great taste in music and not only regarding soul, i knew him for about 15 years or maybe more...and with him i started spinning 45s...thanks to him i've learned what it means to dig and build my own taste

i'll remember an occasion to listen Papito or weekly on radio pellenera "good taste" or in may for the first chapter of EPIC SOUL WEEKENDER

DON'T MISS IT

so mine top djs are

PAPITO

MALAYKA

MR EDU (UNLUCKLY NOT DOUBLE DECKED WITH HIM FOR LAST SUMMER AT RIMINI :lol:)))

MR MICHAEL ROBINSON (DIG DEEPER NYC)

CRISTIAN RIVIERA (GAMBETTOLA SOUL CITY)

TOMMASO FROM AREZZO the younger (19 years) that i know amazing stuff in his flycase

and for who want hear my shows theres a lot on my profile.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Andy Dennison (Edinburgh)

Steve Riddle (Ridds) (Aberdeen)

Des Crombie (Aberdeen)

Malcolm Dunn (?)

Alan Paterson (Aberdeen)

John McDonald (Dundee)

Already top DJ's in Scotland but really should be heard more UK wide.

These guys are the big dogs danglers! all top guys and with taste and records to match..I think the sounds getting played in Scotland by these guys is some of the best in the UK..

Social source share

These guys are the big dogs danglers! all top guys and with taste and records to match..I think the sounds getting played in Scotland by these guys is some of the best in the UK..

You should have been around 20 years ago Liam!

Honestly the Scottish soul scene back then was second to none :thumbsup:

Anyway, I can't disagree, all great DJ's - but hardly 'up and coming'. All fairly well established imo.

Social source share

I've posted a set list on the 'Set List' thread which sums up the sort of stuff i'm playing ATM...i'll probably get more work on the Soul Circuit this year without a doubt...because I had fook all work last year full stop hahaha :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's a bi-monthly soul allnighter held in Barcelona, next one will be on the 7th of April, with SEBASTIAN FONZEUS (Sweden), YANN VATISTE (France/UK) and RICARD PRIETO (Barcelona). I run it along with Cristina Alonso, also organiser of THE BOILER R&B parties in BCN.

I'm really, really looking forward to this! I'm counting the days. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert