The Voices Of East Harlem

Guest wigantojapan

Guest wigantojapan

Hello soul boys and lassies

got my sound system set up :thumbup: and listening to the fantastic LP "can you feel it"

The question has this been re-issued.I asked the guy in Nagoya Japan,but but i was a bit unsure what he said.

I dont know if he said it was new and factory sealed or reissued.

I googled Gemm and there is a few there with extremely differences in prices,so i looked up the one that was close to the price i paid $10 and it says "NEW the first rare album ............"

so a bit confused

Fantastic album IMHO

cheers"everybody needs someone around

to bring them up when theyre feeling down

open up your heart"

brilliant

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mel brat

Hello soul boys and lassies

got my sound system set up :thumbup: and listening to the fantastic LP "can you feel it"

The question has this been re-issued.I asked the guy in Nagoya Japan,but but i was a bit unsure what he said.

I dont know if he said it was new and factory sealed or reissued.

I googled Gemm and there is a few there with extremely differences in prices,so i looked up the one that was close to the price i paid $10 and it says "NEW the first rare album ............"

so a bit confused

Fantastic album IMHO

cheers"everybody needs someone around

to bring them up when theyre feeling down

open up your heart"

brilliant

Original copies are more than $10 I would have thought. Nearer £25-£30 last time I looked (several years ago) It's a fantastic album which I bought blind in 1975.

I like it so much that I also snapped up a CD "re-issue" in the mid-'90s. However, on playing it, it was plain that it had been dubbed from vinyl and sounded far worse than my existing vinyl copy! They'd even rearranged the tracks on the CD so that the worst sounding, crackly ones were placed last, and edited some of the intros to make it sound better! Needless to say I took it back to the shop!

The trouble with that is that this (bootleg probably) diluted the initial demand for the album and made it nigh impossible to re-release and sell good quality legal reissues afterwards. It's possible that the album was re-issued on vinyl at the same time as the CD, but may also be "dubbed". The folk at Soul Brother Records would probably know.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Yes definitely bootlegged AND reissued (legally by Charly).

Unquestionably one of the greatest 70s soul LPs , and it's a sad indictment of the Northern scene's obsession with sevens that there are two LP-only tracks "Take A Stand" and "So Rare" that would/should be absolute monsters on the scene.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yes definitely bootlegged AND reissued (legally by Charly).

Unquestionably one of the greatest 70s soul LPs , and it's a sad indictment of the Northern scene's obsession with sevens that there are two LP-only tracks "Take A Stand" and "So Rare" that would/should be absolute monsters on the scene.

Yup. My mate and I picked up on these back in 1975, but had to wait till the mid-90s to hear "Take A Stand" played out, by which time I preferred the less obvious dancer "So Rare"! - Ditto the Lou Courtney album on Epic, Anthony White LP and many, many others of a similar ilk.

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

Yup. My mate and I picked up on these back in 1975, but had to wait till the mid-90s to hear "Take A Stand" played out, by which time I preferred the less obvious dancer "So Rare"! - Ditto the Lou Courtney album on Epic, Anthony White LP and many, many others of a similar ilk.

The guys are mostly very honest here so they tell you when it is a reissue or a boot,but factory sealed got mentioned in the broken japanese/english conversation.

anyway people again can someone post a boot and an original please.

thanks and "take a stand for love

take a stand for what we believe in

we can turn the world around"

"birds in the trees

singing sweet melodies

as the soft summer breeze blows"

"rare so rare

this feeling everybody can share

just like a warm summer breeze

the way it sets your mind at ease"

"got to get up start moving

:D

Social source share

Hi all. Love the track "so rare". I thought I saw Lenny Dobson play this from a 45 once ? Am I dreaming, or did this come out on a Just Sunshine release.

I cannot find anything to prove it did. Please help my head.

Cheers............... Tom. Banbury.

Social source share

Bought my copy back in the 70s (77?) for pennies in Cheltenham. Got it home to find it was warped so badly it was just about unplayable. Put it away and pulled it out of the collection again only a couple of years ago to find the warp had all but disappeared.

Result - a storage warp in reverse!

'So Rare' is such a great track. And yes on Just Sunshine.

Social source share

Bought my copy back in the 70s (77?) for pennies in Cheltenham. Got it home to find it was warped so badly it was just about unplayable. Put it away and pulled it out of the collection again only a couple of years ago to find the warp had all but disappeared.

Result - a storage warp in reverse!

'So Rare' is such a great track. And yes on Just Sunshine.

Could you provide the "B" side title and the Just Sunshine matrix no. please.

Cheers............ Tom.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Result - a storage warp in reverse...

Get on to the Vatican right away, 'cos that's a bone-fide miracle! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Could you provide the "B" side title and the Just Sunshine matrix no. please.

Cheers............ Tom.

I was talking about the LP, not a 45 of "So Rare" which I don't think exists. Sorry if I misled you Tom.

You can find a scan of the (my :lol: ) LP here https://darcysfeelit.blogspot.com/2006/07/p...-is-virtue.html

To clear up a couple of earlier comments:

Can You Feel It was VOEH last album (not "the first rare album").

The tracklisting on the cover of my LP does not agree with with the actual record. The CD version (on Amazon at least) reproduces the LP cover tracklisting, but I don't know if the CD itself mirrors that.

The original LP tracklisting (and the one on reissued LP too as far as I can tell) is:

Side 1

1.Can You Feel It

2.Amazing Love

3.Just Got To Be Myself

4.Rare So Rare

5.Jimmy Joe Lee

Side 2

1.Take A Stand

2.Take A Little Time To Love

3.March Across The Land

4.Can You Feel It Pt II

Jimmy Joe Lee is another great track.

Darcy :thumbsup:

Social source share

from the above i believe the cd has really poor sound quality as its dubbed from the album

i assume the re-release album on vinyl is also really poor quality and dubbed from the original?

cheers

mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert