Martha Reeves

Mak

Guest MBarrett

she use to 'spend' New Years Eve with etc. etc

It's only a minor point - but it's not actually live.

Assuming they followed same practise as previous years it will have been recorded some time before Christmas.

This came clear from previous transmissions when the likes of Lulu and Kylie were "spotted" somewhere completely different on New Year's Eve. From memory I think Kylie was in Melbourne!!

When challenged the BBC said that it was never meant to be anything other than an "idealised" New Year's Eve party.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

MB

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest OzGirl

Watched the show today on iplayer.........found the Martha Reeves performance quite sad, would be so much nicer to just have the memories of how she sounded back then but she wouldn't be doing it if she didn't still love it as I can't imagine the money would be that great. I know there are two schools of thought about seeing artists whose records are loved, perfoming today, but that said, have seen many perform at the likes of Prestatyn (Prince Phillip Mitchell, Dee Dee Sharp for example) who can still belt out a tune. Guess we have to remember their age and enjoy them while they are still here as so many have now gone. I couldn't sing at 16 and still can't :thumbsup: and I'd give my right arm for one tenth of the talent most of the artists we love had or have.

Kelly Jones btw has an awesome voice IMHO.......his version of "Handbags & Gladrags" was the best I've ever heard!!!

Tina

Social source share

Assuming they followed same practise as previous years it will have been recorded some time before Christmas.

This came clear from previous transmissions when the likes of Lulu and Kylie were "spotted" somewhere completely different on New Year's Eve. From memory I think Kylie was in Melbourne!!

When challenged the BBC said that it was never meant to be anything other than an "idealised" New Year's Eve party.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

MB

I will concur with that - the programme will have been recorded several months ago ........

How do I know ? - this is how I know .........

Lady B and I were at one of the many small " intimate " ( by invitation only ) evening gigs a couple of years ago , that Snake Davis used to perform at the Aroma restaraunt in Barnsley .

Part way through the performance , Chris ( Snake ) introduced the band , and upon introducing Winston the bass player , stated that he ( Winston ) was off to London the following morning , to record JH's Hootenany with other musicians ........

This was in October .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

MB

Show was recorded on 18 December as per Martha's web site

https://www.missmarthareeves.com/id4.html

always thought show was live!

She is also on tour later in year with "Motown legends"

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Show was recorded on 18 December as per Martha's web site

Daz

Thanks for confirming it in black and white.

I will doubtless keep watching in future years for the musical content.

But I really do think that going through that sort of charade is an insult to our collective intelligences.

Somewhere in this year's programme JH actually said something along the lines of "when we get to New Year's Eve" - then realised what he had said and quckly diverted away from it.

This is starting to become a cliche in recent times but - "Lord Reith must be turning in his grave!"

MB

Social source share

Guest loma 1

I will concur with that - the programme will have been recorded several months ago ........

How do I know ? - this is how I know .........

Lady B and I were at one of the many small " intimate " ( by invitation only ) evening gigs a couple of years ago , that Snake Davis used to perform at the Aroma restaraunt in Barnsley .

Part way through the performance , Chris ( Snake ) introduced the band , and upon introducing Winston the bass player , stated that he ( Winston ) was off to London the following morning , to record JH's Hootenany with other musicians ........

This was in October .

Malc Burton

i like it " invertation only " in barnsley . biggrin.gif
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

All in all, live or not, it was still better than the shambles on BBC1. Bloody winners of 'Britain's Best Choir' idiot judges and contestants from 'Strictly Come Dancing' and that search for a Maria show for Andrew Lloyd Webber all presented by Nick Knowles for God's sake! To cap it all they had a children's TV presenter from Blue Peter talk all over the fireworks display and saying things like 'the sound of the fireworks has a rhythm all it's own' WELL LET US LISTEN TO IT THEN YOU MUPPET!! A total mess and just an extended advert for all the shite on BBC1 in 2008. Talk about dumbing down, i bet Richard Dimbleby is spinning in his grave :rolleyes:

Rant over.. Matt over and out! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert